We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    It's late so I've only skimmed so forgive me if someone has already pointed this out but... the amusing part is that the devs DID introduce level-cap content in old regions for exactly the purpose described in the OP, but very few players were interested. These are the Roving Threats, which still pose a good challenge for most players. But very few people do this content, and since those areas are designed for low level areas, we can't do too much about it without hurting them, unless there was a method to scale down, but we've seen how well that scaling works in Epic Battles and PvMP. It doesn't.

Oh, someone has talked about the RT's already, but... are you related to siipperi? Cause this sounds like a load of wash to me. If that were true, you'd have to be dealing 60000 dps, as the highest morale the Angmar RT's have is 2.7mil. Last time I saw siipperi share some of his mini parses even his weren't that high. Individual shots on crit, maybe, but not sustained dps.

Yeah, definitely calling shenanigans.
    I'd usually agree with you on the shenanigans part, but in this instance, I cannot. They are almost all soloable. I run them all, quite regularly, while working the deed. Sure, a player can come unstuck if not careful on a couple of them, but for most part, they are pretty straight forward fights. They are not end game anymore, so not really a valid argument in this discussion.

How some players play, determines what we get I guess. Turbine and SSG have added fellowship areas to updates in the past. Limlight, TC, LR etc, but unfortunately, players tend to ruin them by raid farming, which is then countered by removing all reason to keep running the area. For example, LR should have kept people busy for as long as TC and Limlight did, but it was a ghost town within weeks because they were forced to remove reward from the camp.

I think players are just more impatient nowadays. My hubby often tells me stories about the old days, where he and his kinnies were running around Moria end game for more than two years before new content arrived, and many people I know, label that era as one of the best times this game has ever seen. They just kept running the instances, over and over, long after they had obtained all their rewards from it, because, they were helping others in the community. It's that breed of player that slid off the grid, not the game.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    They just kept running the instances, over and over, long after they had obtained all their rewards from it, because, they were helping others in the community. It's that breed of player that slid off the grid, not the game.
    Your posts often make a lot of sense and none more so than this.
    The main problem nowadays with this game is the players - there is definitely a me first attitude (which has changed little) and because of the quick turn around of cookie cutter content, that doesn't stop. Whereas before there was time to slow down and help kin mates and develop alts.

You mention Moria (which was possibly my favourite time period) and I would possibly throw in SM as well and call this the the golden age of Lotro. Yes there were still avid End gamers but they seemed satisfied. So, possibly there is too much available now and I would postulate that most of the issues are with Loot rather than nothing to do.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Level scaling would be nice but as I mentioned in that other thread the effort needed to do it right appears to be beyond SSG and to be honest would be unneccessary anyway considering we can use the stone to keep content on level. Heres the thing though: On level landscape content is still too easy, sure we can wander into higher level areas for the challenge but the game won't let us take the quests anyway.

Others have mentioned making the epic questline group only. They had this at the start of LOTRO and it almost killed the game, ideally yes you would need a group after all it is Fellowship of the Ring however the reality is that Aragorn didn't have to go afk to feed his dog/kids/other half, Sam and Frodo didn't have to go to work etc. People have lives outside the game and all that happened was you were dragged out of the story into Bree to spam LFF to do Mt Weathertop. Total immersion breaker. Players that came to the game months after release were stuck with a quest log full of elite quests that they could not finish becuase there were not enough players in those areas to fill groups because they had all moved to different areas.

For me the sense of awe ends as soon as Moria is finished. My highest level character finished Rohan and I stopped playing that character. The content between Moria and Rohan was so dull I don't even remember doing it and Rohan was a mind-numbing cycle of Go to settlement> kill orcs to "prove myself"> get quests to kill more orcs> get quests to kill more orcs while mounted>move to next settlement>rinse and repeat. I never did the big battles for the same reason I disliked mounted combat and hate those session plays: It is not my character I am playing. Session plays should be skippable if they have already been completed once on an account.

By contract, the original areas and Moria (aside from the session plays) are excellent I am constantly creating new characters to play through those areas and experience the stories again. Unfortunately I also have to experience the ludicrous LI system again, the clue should be in the name "Legendary". I get so many of them I could make a throne out of spare so called legendary weapons. Hmm theres an idea....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ferathyr View Post
    Level scaling would be nice....
    No.

i totally agree there is nothing to do when you login in, old areas are dead and feel/are useless, you never get the fear of passing throu like you did until rise of isenguard or even riders of rohan.
    game is half dead and you dont need to be that smart to figure, useless updates (erebor is a joke even smaller that thorins gate so much for a dwarven kingdom) fewer and fewer players online and just an old habit of login in nowadays.

Oh, someone has talked about the RT's already, but... are you related to siipperi? Cause this sounds like a load of wash to me. If that were true, you'd have to be dealing 60000 dps, as the highest morale the Angmar RT's have is 2.7mil. Last time I saw siipperi share some of his mini parses even his weren't that high. Individual shots on crit, maybe, but not sustained dps.

Yeah, definitely calling shenanigans.
    Kiting ranged class doesn't endure all the mechanics a melee class does for those RT's. 15 levels below me, it was like clubbing seals. Not all that much fun. Haven't join a proper pve raid for a long time now. All my gear and build are casually gained over time. 60k sounds about right. Averaging all the skills used. Siipperi would no doubt do much more on those.

I'm definitely calling Hobnanigans.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

many people I know, label that era as one of the best times this game has ever seen. They just kept running the instances, over and over, long after they had obtained all their rewards from it, because, they were helping others in the community. It's that breed of player that slid off the grid, not the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    Your posts often make a lot of sense and none more so than this.
    The main problem nowadays with this game is the players - there is definitely a me first attitude (which has changed little) and because of the quick turn around of cookie cutter content, that doesn't stop. Whereas before there was time to slow down and help kin mates and develop alts.
    That breed of player is still very much around. Of course I only speak for myself (as I fit those descriptions), but I keep running into them too. This kind of pure enjoyment and excitement for sake of the journey not destination, plenty of it left. But the only way to find more of it is to be the change you want to see.
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Evadar View Post
    i totally agree there is nothing to do when you login in, old areas are dead and feel/are useless, you never get the fear of passing throu like you did until rise of isenguard or even riders of rohan.
    game is half dead and you dont need to be that smart to figure, useless updates (erebor is a joke even smaller that thorins gate so much for a dwarven kingdom) fewer and fewer players online and just an old habit of login in nowadays.

I heard this in Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies and those were pure sandbox games with no quests whatsoever. And there was always something to do.

Same with LOTRO. There is the summer festival now and you have different classes to play.

I’ve gotten burned out and went to single player games for a while, but not having anything to do was never an issue.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Mordor

The best region in the game by far has to be moria, and then after that I would say angmar, because it was challenging. That is why I like mordor because they are returning to the angmaresqe. Vibe that the the game had with SoA.

Quote Originally Posted by mkcraft27 View Post
    60k DPS is not particularly impressive for DPS classes on mobs 15 levels below you. Either way 60k DPS is nowhere near necessary, my cappy can solo them and he cant do anywhere near 60k DPS. There are plenty of videos on youtube you can paruse if you remain skeptical. For example, here's a champ doing it at lvl 100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgxqvbFCss
    Fair point, I had forgotten that Roving Threats didn't scale up to 115. I stand corrected.

Still though, my original point is still fairly valid -- even when 100 was cap, Roving Threats were little more than a passing fad. It did not become a serious end-game and usually players stuck to the Gondorian areas, rather than returning to Eriador/Mirkwood.

I'd usually agree with you on the shenanigans part, but in this instance, I cannot. They are almost all soloable...
    I forgot that the RT's are only level 100. Soloing them at 100 is a significantly greater challenge than at 115, which makes that parse more believable.

Frankly, I've always been on the opinion that patience or impatience is a nonissue. The vast majority of "hard" content is little more than a DPS battle. Who can kill who first. This is "made harder" by simply blowing up the mob's morale pool to an unreal amount. Mechanics died out a long time ago on landscape. The myriad of debuffs that we saw in many parts of Gondor don't count as anything but an annoyance.

Then again, I can say the same of every MMO I've ever played.

I have been unable to enjoy LOTRO for a very long time. Without going into the unnecessary sticky details, Mordor triggers a sensitive part of me that is susceptible to depression. It's like Angmar or South Mirkwood but much worse. Not because of the content per se, simply because of the darkness of the game world. Which, I might add, was fantastically rendered and felt very true to the lore. But it is just so dark I can't do it. I burn out faster in Mordor than I ever have anywhere else in any game. I haven't put much more than a toe inside North Mirkwood because I am still suffering from that depression/burnout.

The strange thing is that Moria doesn't effect me that way -- Moria is hands-down my favorite content in the entire game. I can't really explain it; my best attempt would be that Moria is underground so the darkness is natural. The darkness in Angmar, South Mirkwood and Mordor are more unnatural. It's hard to describe.

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    Kiting ranged class doesn't endure all the mechanics a melee class does for those RT's. 15 levels below me, it was like clubbing seals. Not all that much fun. Haven't join a proper pve raid for a long time now. All my gear and build are casually gained over time. 60k sounds about right. Averaging all the skills used. Siipperi would no doubt do much more on those.

I'm definitely calling Hobnanigans.
    lol Well played. And yep, I forgot about their level. Been a while since I've looked at them seriously. Sorry for what I said before.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Ferathyr View Post
    Level scaling would be nice but as I mentioned in that other thread the effort needed to do it right appears to be beyond SSG and to be honest would be unneccessary anyway considering we can use the stone to keep content on level. Heres the thing though: On level landscape content is still too easy, sure we can wander into higher level areas for the challenge but the game won't let us take the quests anyway.

Others have mentioned making the epic questline group only. They had this at the start of LOTRO and it almost killed the game, ideally yes you would need a group after all it is Fellowship of the Ring however the reality is that Aragorn didn't have to go afk to feed his dog/kids/other half, Sam and Frodo didn't have to go to work etc. People have lives outside the game and all that happened was you were dragged out of the story into Bree to spam LFF to do Mt Weathertop. Total immersion breaker. Players that came to the game months after release were stuck with a quest log full of elite quests that they could not finish becuase there were not enough players in those areas to fill groups because they had all moved to different areas.

For me the sense of awe ends as soon as Moria is finished. My highest level character finished Rohan and I stopped playing that character. The content between Moria and Rohan was so dull I don't even remember doing it and Rohan was a mind-numbing cycle of Go to settlement> kill orcs to "prove myself"> get quests to kill more orcs> get quests to kill more orcs while mounted>move to next settlement>rinse and repeat. I never did the big battles for the same reason I disliked mounted combat and hate those session plays: It is not my character I am playing. Session plays should be skippable if they have already been completed once on an account.

By contract, the original areas and Moria (aside from the session plays) are excellent I am constantly creating new characters to play through those areas and experience the stories again. Unfortunately I also have to experience the ludicrous LI system again, the clue should be in the name "Legendary". I get so many of them I could make a throne out of spare so called legendary weapons. Hmm theres an idea....
    Some excellent points. I agree with most, but not all. As highlighted, I couldn't disagree more that the stone comes close to being a sufficient alternative to scaling in part due to the very reason you mention - all it allows is us to lock us down to is too easy content. Not only can't we do higher level quests, we can't even get xp from purples. The stone also doesn't allow us to go back to areas once we have levelled past them. It doesn't fix the artificial linearity of a levelling system, it simply pauses it.

However, I maintain there are other significant benefits that world scaling makes possible which the tortoise cannot. Scaling all content and players up to the same level makes grouping incredibly more viable, both in instances and in emergent landscape game play - I've lost count of how many times in SoA while attempting difficult landscape content, groups would spontaneously form in the area to complete a shared task. This was of course more possible with more total players than now, and with more players within the same levels. With open tapping, and scaling, this could be even easier to do now than in SoA.

If any player of any level could join any epic story instance, there would have been no need for forced soloing and the forced easy mode we got instead. One of the benefits many of the anti-scalers talk about is they enjoy being able to out level challenging content to make it trivially easy, to enjoy the world with zero risk. What they don't understand is I (and many others) did something similar, but also vastly different. We took advantage of being out levelled to make impossible content challenging. I was working my way through the later SoA book quests on my 60 captain solo and many instances were incredibly challenging - until inspired greatness removed that option and gave me forced easy mode.

With scaling, epics could have still retained their epic feel while also opening up to the whole player base to allow for the realities of the non-game related challenges of forming groups. The levelling system by definition creates artificial and unnecessary barriers making it difficult for players to group together. Friends with uneven schedules out level each other, or are forced to press pause and tortoise or play a different character - both of which not everyone enjoys doing.

One of the main reasons lower level content is left behind (or skipped entirely, as in the case of many past cap instances) is the sub-cap player base gets split across levels - increasingly more so as the cap increases. And given the increased speed of levelling, players spend less time at any given level. The problem existed in SoA but to a much lesser extent given the lower cap, slower pace of levelling, and larger population.

Keep in mind I'm not suggesting scaling should allow a level 10 to join a T2C and be equal to a geared out non scaled at cap character. But a T1? Sure. Recently in ESO I duoed a 4 man dungeon with my partner. She was at the level cap (50) I was 11 - and I actually contributed meaningfully. Contrary to what many of the anti-scalers purport, scaling doesn't automatically mean "zomg hardmode for everyone!!!111" In fact, my previous suggestions for scaling include servers with different difficulties that allow a range of challenge from the trivially easy to the very hard.

Probably the most overlooked benefit of scaling - and that could arguably benefit the anti-scalers more than any others - is the impact it would have on the viability of adding new lower level content. There appears to be quite an overlap between posters against scaling - who accept and want old content to get trivialised, and those who want new sub cap regions added in various areas of Middle-earth. So here's the obvious problem - either we have new below cap content that will be skipped through at the same rapid rate as all other old content of a similar level. Or we have the absurdity of new regions (such as the Southfarthing which often comes up in such requests) added at the current or a level new cap. Who knew hobbit farmlands had foes as powerful as those found in Mordor?

Scaling of course fixes this. It allows for new regions to fit in anywhere, as viable content that sees sufficient player engagement to make it worth dev time and resources. Players of any level can jump right into new content. Linear Epics aside, scaling also allows players of any level to choose their own adventure by travelling in any order through the regions they please.

1.7 cents (Adjusted for inflation)

I understand the frustration of the OP.

I enjoyed questing every area as seen by the eyes of different classes (I run one of each for the variety of approaches to obstacles.)

I love that the epic line takes me all over the map.

I do not love that I can go through levels crafting (I have a lvl 38 RK cook who has only cooked and farmed) and that by the time I've quested my way through a zone I've gone from yellow and white to gray quests, especially if I took a crafting break.

I can get my LIs before I'm half-way through Angmar and I'm in my 60's before leaving Moria. Those first LIs seem to take forever to max, but the subsequent ones seem to fly to max. I've tried the Turtle stone but that's so abrupt it feels like a narcoleptic walking through quick-setting concrete ( I intend no slights against those with sleep disorders or masons...)

I get truly frustrated with quests that have me bouncing back and forth between two locations for one line of text exchange when sending a message by bird would be far more satisfying and allow me to remain in the zone for other questing. I like Elrond, but pay him way too many visits.

What I would like to see, as an item on my LoTRO Christmas list, are the dream or movie sequences that actually show what certain regions or areas were like at their height, like Eregion or Moria, where that everyday life occurred - but maybe that's a bit too voyeuristic. The escape from Eregion and building of Rivendell, the peak of Annuminas where all that barren landscape was populated and alive. Some of the great heroes or villains in action instead of just referenced in text (the razing of Dol Guldur seemed a pretty quick and casual thing...)

I get the frustration, and I know it's a game but it makes for a lovely escape for me from time to time. I just don't want to race through to end-game or stall using the stone. I enjoy the landscape - truly beautiful! My first character was completionist as far as a solo casual player can go with deeds and quests. Now I'm starting to leave zones off my progression after the epic line... like Trestlebridge. Give it to the Orcs! Whiners. There are times I wish Annuminas would just fall into the lake in its entirety. Dunland is Forochel with fewer layers of clothing...

End rant, I promise. I do appreciate the game, especially the art and design. I would love to do more of the "group" content ("Inspiration" is my favorite vice) as a solo player (yes, I understand how weird that sounds.)

I guess what I feel is that I do truly understand the OP's frustration but can honestly say I don't know what the fix is. I only know what would fix it for me. It remains my favorite MMO. Don't give up yet, 007!

Ok so I've been here for a little over 6 years, and since day one of when I joined people have been saying "the game is dead" "everyone is leaving" "there's nothing to do" "it's the beginning of the end", etc. Yet here we are. The game keeps truckin' along, and I still enjoy it. Sure there are some things that could use some work, as many have pointed out, but it doesn't completely suck and I still enjoy running in the old areas with new toons. I certainly am not a Standing Stone fangirl but I am a LOTRO one, and I will play it as long as I can.
    Gwinthilnel: Elleth Hunter lvl 120~~~Hadniel: Woman Minstrel lvl 115~~~Gwynduilas: High Elleth Captain lvl 62 ~~~Gwindethen: Elleth Runekeeper lvl 28
    Kin: Defiance
    Evernight

Rare drops from mobs for crafting purposes.
    Well, we had shards, and before that specifics that dropped form rares, but could be a hide or a tooth, still extant in the L45 class quests, but long rendered irrelevant by barter. Time was when the Slime...ore the Rune, commanded serious cash on the AH and a good kinship funded its activites like that, or at least mine did, paid for our Kin House off a Slime run.

And we had shard campers who sat on the spawn sites for shard droppers and tagged them as soon as they showed up, with no open tagging it was relatively hard for anyone not a Hunter or Champion to get a shard on level.

Visiting old areas, nothing stops this and unless you have deeded them out as well, there is benefit so to do. Forochel is still a pain to get around unless you have done The Frozen War and have Kindred with suitable factions for fast travel. Old Timers will recall that doing the Carn Dum instnace required you to fight through from Bail Catharnakh, or know the secret route through the spider den, and still have to get through the Gate of Shadows and up to the instance entrance. No convenient campsite or mustering horn. And if you were defeated it was back to Aughaiire...

So, until you have done every deed in every area (save Ettens), followed Bingo about and found the chap with the donkey five times, you have not exhausted the possibilities of the game before end game. Even then, unless you have done the annual festival memory runs, you probably still haven't seen the rabbit, wondered at the fox or managed to jump from the Pier and live.

Yes, end game toons are clones, my LM is a clone of your Burglar...er, that's not what I meant at all...go Thrang smacking for the joy and frustration of the RNG. Speaking of which, do you have The Captain's Arm, Forvengwath's Despair or even The Elder Staff? Now that really was working for a try at the RNG and if you had any of those on a suitable toon then you had some bragging rights, or a lot of luck.

But crafting desperately needs a revamp. Too much of the stuff just isn't worth the bother later in the game.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

lol Well played. And yep, I forgot about their level. Been a while since I've looked at them seriously. Sorry for what I said before.
    No worries.

There are some things that limit the Minstrel in its solo abilty

Does the npc do more than 30% damage in one hit or volley. (Now I could change that to 50%)
    Does the npc place a permanent slow on the Minstrel.
    Is there enough space to kite.
    Do multiple npcs including the boss place successive stuns or knockdowns.

Anything else can be over come when a player is prepared with pots, food , and hope.This on level.

I did solo few RT's at 100 but it took 15 minutes or more and by the time I was done my armour was broken needing repair.
    One I remember was in Misty Mountains. I remember it because it had a green glow to its head area and when in raid it wipe out 6 of our raid. They missed or ignored the animation where I believe it lifted up its foot. Idk its was what three years ago?

Now with the newest changes to the Minstrel, I have soloed some of the those in Mordor. I forget what they are called in my deed log. Mystery something idk. Sometime soon when I get bored I'll give the Scourges a try. I did try a spider in the Wastes and the perma slow is what defeated me, but that was before the newest Minstrel changes.

I was working on soloing Naerband at 115 but not long into it I found the instance is broken. I was like lol those npcs cheat.

Its just stuff I do when I am bored.
    Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza" Sapienza University of Rome

Graduate PhD con lode Scienze della Politica

Quote Originally Posted by sapienze View Post
    No worries.

There are some things that limit the Minstrel in its solo abilty

Does the npc do more than 30% damage in one hit or volley. (Now I could change that to 50%)
    Does the npc place a permanent slow on the Minstrel.
    Is there enough space to kite.
    Do multiple npcs including the boss place successive stuns or knockdowns.

Anything else can be over come when a player is prepared with pots, food , and hope.This on level.

I did solo few RT's at 100 but it took 15 minutes or more and by the time I was done my armour was broken needing repair.
    One I remember was in Misty Mountains. I remember it because it had a green glow to its head area and when in raid it wipe out 6 of our raid. They missed or ignored the animation where I believe it lifted up its foot. Idk its was what three years ago?

Now with the newest changes to the Minstrel, I have soloed some of the those in Mordor. I forget what they are called in my deed log. Mystery something idk. Sometime soon when I get bored I'll give the Scourges a try. I did try a spider in the Wastes and the perma slow is what defeated me, but that was before the newest Minstrel changes.

I was working on soloing Naerband at 115 but not long into it I found the instance is broken. I was like lol those npcs cheat.

Its just stuff I do when I am bored.
    The only RTs I could successfully solo (on any class) are the ones in Gondor, simply because I could outlast them on warsteed. The philosophy was: can't hit what you can't reach. Obviously doesn't work nearly as well against ranged foes, or warbands that can ride just as fast as you can. Hardest content I've soloed on foot was TC, but that was also a few years ago when 100 was cap.

That said, I haven't had top-tier gear since, oh, 75 or 85. I just don't have the time or energy to devote anymore. Alas, but 10 hr per week jobs and part-time school can't last forever. I desperately want to get back into it on a serious level, but I have to wait for the burnout and whatnot to go down/away, and even then I have a hard time juggling it with my job at the same time.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Emrysia View Post
    I do not love that I can go through levels crafting (I have a lvl 38 RK cook who has only cooked and farmed) and that by the time I've quested my way through a zone I've gone from yellow and white to gray quests, especially if I took a crafting break.
    Well, different strokes. I do love that very thing. All my alts are crafters that aren't storage mules, and it was a happy day for me when they started getting XP for crafting. Now, all my alts, when they hit a new area, find the mobs green or maybe turquoise, and I can handle them.

I recognize that there are other players who want what they call a challenge: to fight overwhelming odds and overcome them. This is completely appropriate for the mindset of the Early Middle Ages, on which Middle-earth is based. Remember how Beowulf and Breca swam the Kagerrak in full armour? They did this (a) because they had said they would (probably while drunk) and therefore had to do it, and (b) so they could brag about it afterward. The Stone of the Tortoise -- which, although I've never used one, I assume can be equipped and unequipped as often as the wearer likes -- was designed for the player with the in-period mindset, who wants to take arms against a sea of troubles and, by opposing, end them.

Emrysia, perhaps a selective use of the Stone would work for you? Take it off when you enter an area on-level, and around the time the mobs all turn dark blue, put it back on until you've done everything you want to do in that region and are ready to move on to the next? I'm just guessing here, since (as indicated above) I rather like grey mobs. Except that my eyes are getting old and I frequently can't read their pale grey labels.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, different strokes. I do love that very thing. All my alts are crafters that aren't storage mules, and it was a happy day for me when they started getting XP for crafting. Now, all my alts, when they hit a new area, find the mobs green or maybe turquoise, and I can handle them.

I recognize that there are other players who want what they call a challenge: to fight overwhelming odds and overcome them. This is completely appropriate for the mindset of the Early Middle Ages, on which Middle-earth is based. Remember how Beowulf and Breca swam the Kagerrak in full armour? They did this (a) because they had said they would (probably while drunk) and therefore had to do it, and (b) so they could brag about it afterward. The Stone of the Tortoise -- which, although I've never used one, I assume can be equipped and unequipped as often as the wearer likes -- was designed for the player with the in-period mindset, who wants to take arms against a sea of troubles and, by opposing, end them.

Emrysia, perhaps a selective use of the Stone would work for you? Take it off when you enter an area on-level, and around the time the mobs all turn dark blue, put it back on until you've done everything you want to do in that region and are ready to move on to the next? I'm just guessing here, since (as indicated above) I rather like grey mobs. Except that my eyes are getting old and I frequently can't read their pale grey labels.
    Same here. Makes the deeding so much easier and smoother for me.

For me, I just like enjoying the leveling progression and the story lines after a hard day at work. When I’m up for a challenge I like to play Civ 4 at increased difficulty. But for LOTRO I like to relax and just enjoy my time in Middle Earth.

I’m not saying that’s the right way to play. I’m just saying I like how the xp process works. It fits my play style.

[QUOTE=djheydt;7851766]

djheydt,

You wrote:

//Emrysia, perhaps a selective use of the Stone would work for you? Take it off when you enter an area on-level, and around the time the mobs all turn dark blue, put it back on until you've done everything you want to do in that region and are ready to move on to the next? I'm just guessing here, since (as indicated above) I rather like grey mobs. Except that my eyes are getting old and I frequently can't read their pale grey labels. //

An excellent idea that does indeed work, when I remembered to change it out (user error.) I do like the feeling of overwhelming the occasional gaggle of grays and I certainly don't want to fight to the single digits in HPs very often. Balance. I do believe it's self-balance that I should employ more of!

My thanks!

In Defence of SSG Part II by Vanyalanthiriel,Vanimelda ,High Queen of the Noldor

Ai,By Vana,Orome and High Ones of Arda! I feel sorry for thee! Thou canst comprehend nor see through the fog. Highly negative thread with incorrect,misleading,unkind , twisted even I would dare to say. A slap in the face for certain developers. An Elaborate hoax in possible attempt to cause Tumult in which you already did succeeded partially.Tis obvious you do not love the game on the contrary the thread would not have existed at all. I am not one of the beings who shall whisper: The thread is troll one and i will not take it seriously, I will take it seriously and I will diminish the myths ,absurdity and even lies within the thread. There are particular subjects one cannot debate. An eternal pointless discussion ~ One of the examples:

"Is that fun?",
    "What is joyful"
    "Tis not Awe-inspiring"
    "Tis useless"
    "No excitement"

There are beauties and terrors,flaws and mistakes, Triumphs and utter disasters,but unfortunately for you It is far ,far In Eä {Universe} from "Harsh Truth; There is no sense of "Awe", only the banal. As your title clearly suggests and your thread is bitter and can only discourage players,Especially newbies for instance.These type of threads might trick weak-minded and those with a similar over-view who can only push ,encourage and approve the already existing negativity.

If one hates or feels great displeasure for game one will attempt to find the flaws ,even imaginary ones and quickly negate/shun away and forget about one thousand positive ones.

Let us start for your title. I will not quote your posts. You may follow the responses in the way you wrote them from start. I have a certain error when attempting to Quote a post from any forum User.

THE TITLE. I can add dozens of points in which can be they certainly Awe-Inspiring for majority of player-base , not only Lord of the Rings online,but for Massively multiplayer online game ,Generally speaking. We have to retun to the roots. What does Awe means?

Well ~ AWE ~ a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder, Indeed and now only an idiot would not feel an awe for Magical world of Middle-Earth. I will get to personal AWE inspiring and wondrous moments later on.

Every Player has the same gear, goes along the same path, and does the same instances. There is no variety or uniqueness. The game is STALE. Nothing in the game inspires Awe. ~ Originally posted by you.

Every player have had more or less the same Crafting/Landscape/Raiding/Custom Made build gear since 2007 and before even release of the official Raid Helegord in ages past,before Radiance,Audacity,Flower armour and Ashes gear.

Let me simplify the process ~ Landscape/Quest reward or eventually Crafting followed by 3/6 man instance and ultimately highest quality gear obtained from Raid which was procedure followed almost since April 24,2007.

Incorrect ~ Every. Impossibility.

The Road goes ever on and on. Goes long the same path. Certainly a nature of MMO, What road shall you take Frodo? Where will your road take thee. There are hundreds of more roads since Days of Angmar and Moria and 10x increased number in the variety of instances given. Certainly there are scaled ones, BUT ~

Important : Tis the mentality of players. I am the constant witness of Court of Seregost,Thrang,Featured Daily instance grind/Farm/Obsession. You can only blame yourself not expanding your views and creativity further than 3 or Same instances as you've mentioned. Once more the Word "Every" Is false. There are {Thank the Eru the One} Exceptions.

Speaking of Uniqueness. Ranging from Landscape,Weaponry,Outfits,Sto ry content,Lore,Soundtrack and even PvMP which is certainly unique for Lord of the Rings Online.

My dear Mellon you have sadly completely failed to diminish one of the strongest aspects game has to offer:

Unique approach/Awe inspiring moments. I can go deeper as well. Everyone is unique in certain aspect and point of view:

Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else Which means the following:

The Lords of the Rings Online has Unique Monster play System,Lore,World in whole,Soundtrack,Visuals. These were core features. Regrettably for you and hater "fanbase" I have not started the game yesterday, a week ago nor year ago, but nearly twelve years ago and I went though everything one can possibly humanly and elfishly do and will destroy and de-bunk any attempt to de-value the game.

Speaking of the Landscape. Impossibly wrong outlook. The size,Splendour,World design in general, Alluringless and Extraordinarily beauty NEVER disappointed nor ceased. You speak off reluctantly crossed Landscape. They might be insignificant and meaningless for you and One does simply one shot "everything". Mordor at level 105-112 was not walk in the park,Far from it. Want me to go even more into details: Attempt to pull 30 Elite mobs and 1 shoot them at once, Record a video. "One shoot everything"

Wrong again ~ Now I am not taking your thread seriously as I've did in the start. You completely missed the core points of MMO game. Grind/Repetition and Return are INEVITABLE. The Landscape mobs should never offer best gear and your post makes zero sense for now fourth time.

Now lets us proceed: To Troll screenshot with It seems A Lore-master in Heavy armour and your false sense of Danger, The Danger and one incomparable thrill of adventure was always prevalent and you had to pick up Trollshaws wich was Part of Volume I, still the Greatest Volume of the game.

There is danger , excitement and beauties, You cannot see them nor comprehend. Game did get nerfed and simplified over years which was the case with every single MMO. You cannot compare 2007 game with 2018. By current moment you are missing most of the essential points of the game and I can sense nothing more but mockery, far from Harsh Truth.

The Awe is not necessarily in one shotting for One hundred shoting Particular foes. They do not nor they have not missed anything at all. Bountiful of awe-inspiring moments.If post was even Semi-Correct by least the game would have ceased down and shut for eternity years ago.

Now the picture ~ These Trolls might the ones from Urugarth of lesser strength and perhaps imposing presence. I we are to travel into past one of them would have been enough to shatter you to oblivion , even now on same level they can.

There are Gorothrog Trolls of the First age. You know nothing about Adrenaline rush and horrors of Old Angmar and mighty enemies. For example Arena of Maethad. These trolls are smarter,stronger and taller One of those Massive ones could wipe the floor with entire fellowship or They were devastating , they still are to some extent for players on same level.

Or these Introduced with ThE Mirkwood expansion . Flawless design ~

Which tells me again clearly you never felt or did but you are not speaking gibberish about fear and awe. The Terrors one had to pass within Angmar and Moria were incomparable.

Conclusion:
    Lie,Mockery,Attempting Trolling/Nonsense/Hate/Envy/ Far from Harsh Truth ~ Harsh Lie.

Of Ice-Bay of Forochel, the Irony of your post and then the mockery. Your first part of the sentence is a cold truth Right you are. Exactly what Forochel was.Harsh,remote, very deadly even for "Solo -friendly" zone , difficult ot get in at start, there is one route , one passage, winds,frost damage and so on And one cannot compare level 50 Vanilla progression with current progression or if you are about to bring level 105 Boosted character, what do you expect?

This is Forochel. It is bitterly cold, far to the north, and should be difficult to get to. When one first arrives, there should inside the player be a sense of accomplishment present ~ The only Truth you said unintentionally.

Yet there is nothing you will gain in Forochel but levels... which is all any of the zones offer you prior to end-game. So narrow minded and you mentioned Uniqueness before.

Forochel is incredibly lore rich,gorgeous mysterious ,superbly captivating, massive in scale and scope, far more complex than you can imagine, I am not surprised for beings as you are, Many of the names are Finnish for example Talvi-Muri ~ Winter wall and Aurora Borealis is enough to make one Awe-Inspiring. You simply cannot comprehend the awesomness of Forochel

Originally stated by you ~ Yet there is nothing you will gain in Forochel but levels... That was one very very *will not say bad words* reply ~ Incredibly limited.

There is a purpose,I fear for you it cannot be explained. You do not understand.

There is a purpose for high level players to return for pure love of older regions , exploration,story,lore. Typically and commonly again the loot oriented mindest. Tis not all about loot.

Loot and content are available in all regions ,right you are again unintentionally.

Regarding Legendary weapons. There is nothing Legendary or unique of players having same weapons and you spoke about unique , Do you have realise by now you have defeated yourself.

Do you want a level 30 player to gain access to Legendary weapon already in mid level Vanilla zone. Once upon a time Instance finder did not existed. I can only agree the obtainal of First Age level 100 weapons is easy, but game undergo so many changes since then at the current stage it is simply irreversible. They never were difficult to obtain in the first place. The Unique weapons barely exist at all.

The Unique weapon is the one with distinctive appearance and stats which no other had: For instance Cumaen as you copied was truly Unique with special usage as well and was only dropped from Balrog of Morgoth,Thaurlach. In the Rift instance, but time does not stand still in Iorvelon's camp as well. It's been 10 years since Legendary weapons were introduced with the release of Moria. You are asking the impossible for such a small team.

The Unique and rare weapons do still drop and exist, but they are not Legendary, what if I tell you that Weapons of the First age can be found in the Rift which was level 50 Raid in 2007 ,There is a two handed sword Glorengris. You might read the weapon description the next you get your hands on.

The "Legendary term" might not necessary directly mean overpowering. It was given to you. They are yours thus special .

I m not going to even comment nor break down your map after seeing word "Useless." Only non creative and hateful mind can utter the word useless for these zones which were created by brilliant minds in the first place. Sorrowful it is.

The end ~

Irrelevant instances is again a dull-witted reply.Every each of them is relevant ,They have their vaule,beauty and very strong purpose you will never be able to see.

Crafting: Used to be a lot longer and required special item for rare signature to fashion a weapon or armour. One point I can agree only, but one must accept some aspects cannot return.

Gold has no value. T

The gold in the game have had very little value ever since the start. One needed gold essentialy for :
    Stable master{Traveling}
    /buying skills
    /Repair
    /Re-arraging the traits

. Tis not a type of game in which paricular item needed to progress is of 500 gold cost or immense value The cost was higher because game the game-play and world was tougher and foes dropped little coin. The changes which followed over the course of a decade are enough for mini novel. Yes the Horse cost was 4gold 220silver, Expensive it was for level 35 player, House cost was 8 gold + because we were underpowered as well. Classes have had 20x less potency.

Tis the players to blame for super insane prices on Auction. You never needed to be wealthy. The highest quality gear was obtainable from instacnes and crafting and that could have been done solo or with a small group/fellowship/Raid. You again return to gold ,loot and economy. i am sorry but your thread is completely wrong and disrespectful.

Vanquished/De-bunked If I m about to reply to every single poster similar to you or hater in general I wouldn't have time to log in at all.

Sincerely,

Vanyalanthiriel,Vanimelda,Spir it of Fire The Flame Imperishable.
    Last edited by Vanyaerunanethiel; Aug 23 2018 at 03:54 AM.

I agree with a lot of what the OP says. Over time, LOTRO has evolved into a game that I just don't care to play. I do enjoy getting into the lore, but I just can no longer do all the repetitive questing and level grinding without any challenge or social gameplay. At this point, I've started playing Everquest Project 1999 for my MMO fix. I never even played EQ before (Asheron's Call was my first MMO), and P99 is dated as hell. But it offers plenty of challenge/reward.

Honestly, I would love a TLP server that gives back the old SoA experience. I would even pay a sub for it despite having a lifetime sub currently. Maybe even beef up the mobs a bit (outside of instances) to encourage grouping a bit more and put in experience debt for deaths to make dying meaningfully painful. Probably will never happen, but I can dream.
    Wrymstrum R5 Guardian
    Corrupt R5 Orc Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    Now this is just false. Wanna know how false it is? I've been begging this company for level scaling / level "sync"ing since 2012. These days, literally every MMO has it. Wanna know why? Because it's the best thing they could come up with to keep the content alive and the excitement alive.

This company will never do it. Again, why? Because they design everything for throwing away. This is how passionate they are about their game! There is a huge herd of endgamers that they milk, and milking them is only possible if they keep them focused on the endgame grind at all times. These people do not care that literally every piece of gear they grind for becomes useless junk in 2 months, they just want the best, always. Such brainless people are very easy to exploit for money. For SSG, scattering these people all over this huge game would be shooting themselves in the foot. They need to be kept focused on the endgame where they pay. This is why this game will never be a real MMO. This is why 95% of it will always be mostly dead. It's by design. This is how passionate they are about their game!

On the plus side, this is how they can keep the game from dying. At least, they care about one thing: staying in business. You can't always get what you want.
    I just played a month WoW. They have lvl scaling. It doesn't revive the world. It just makes it all the same. You never get stronger. And capped players are cap areas just like here.
    RTs didn't revive the world either or the treasures. Both are just an annoyance to levelling players.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    RTs didn't revive the world either or the treasures. Both are just an annoyance to levelling players.
    I disagree to a point. When RTs came out there was a new interest in going back to the older areas to hunt them down and claim the rewards. It quickly died out however, because they stopped updating the reward system (has anything been done since?). It was a good idea, but the execution fell short and like a lot of things with the game, once introduced it hasn't seen much love since.

The only people who had a problem with RTs are low level players who complained about getting one-shot by them even though their aggro box was minimal and you could see them from a mile away in plenty of time to just avoid them.

Things I don't like

1. Max level cap of 100+! Why? can't you stat squish this down to 50 or lower again?
    2. instances! This is supposed to be an MMO not a WoW clone. stop locking us away from other players! this feels like a single player game. (but how would you do xx event?) don't. stop copying bad MMO's.
    3. power creep! weapon/armor upgrades should exist yes but not like this. the difference between a level 1 item and a level 115 is ridiculous. older areas should not be a pushover just because you quested in Moria and onwards.

I've played Lotro since release, although I've had a good share of breaks and the last time I was at the max level cap for any period of time was Moria at 60. I was around for the free to play transition and monetization of the game. It was one of the best free to play models and to a point still is.

However like most mmo's and games in general these days the content has for the most part been streamlined and early to late game stuff is mostly easy. No hunting around for quests to get xp although that's kind of a good thing. But most of the time you will always be way overlevelled for the zones you are in.

I'm only around 84 again on my highest and I hear that Mordor when you first get there is tough, which I can't wait for because it'll be a change.

Most of the changes made to Lotro probably came about because of people whining on the forums in the past about difficulty etc. I went to Moria the other day and was surprised to see how many extra 'swift travel / teleport back to area' goats around the place there were. It's all about dumbing down content and making it a fast track to end game.

In some ways it should be faster, as newer players won't want to spend years doing all the content at the speed people had to do it first time. Also this kind of transfers over to mob scaling, it's something I never want to see for older under level zones. I don't want to have to go back and kill 200 wolves for deeds and they always be on a par to my level it will make old deed grinding so much worse.

I watched my friend do an instance in WoW the other day while levelling up, was on par with level and not a single mez or crowd control skill was used that day. Everything gets dumbed down over time, it's just a fact of mmo's these days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast