We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Festival fishing, don't stand next to people!

Grumpy, 'ole, man remembers when servers used to be much more full. Back then, people had the civility during festival to move around the pond so that everybody's bobbers and lines weren't crossing and confusing you whether or not you had a fish. Only a week into this festival, three people have run up and stood right next to me on an almost empty pond, one even on the rock.

Yup, grumpy, 'ole, man complaining about a nit, not about any major issue, but it still bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Froyo_K_Baggins View Post
    Grumpy, 'ole, man remembers when servers used to be much more full. Back then, people had the civility during festival to move around the pond so that everybody's bobbers and lines weren't crossing and confusing you whether or not you had a fish. Only a week into this festival, three people have run up and stood right next to me on an almost empty pond, one even on the rock.

Yup, grumpy, 'ole, man complaining about a nit, not about any major issue, but it still bugs me.
    It was an empty pond, so you could have just moved 2 meters to the side instead. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by valkrye View Post
    It was an empty pond, so you could have just moved 2 meters to the side instead. Problem solved.
    Puppy, because, unlike you and the other people, I'm not a self centered child who thinks the world is theirs, that's exactly what I did. My actions, of course, don't change the action of too many children.

Bobbers bob, the line wobbles, your rod bounces, and your arms sway. But your feet stay completely still...until you get a bite. Then you take a small step forwards. So...don't worry about lines crossing or bobbers getting all confusing. Just watch your own feet. And click when you take a step. Problem solved.
    Luventhariel and Appletart of Second Breakfast, Crickhollow

Puppy, because, unlike you and the other people, I'm not a self centered child who thinks the world is theirs, that's exactly what I did. My actions, of course, don't change the action of too many children.
    I rarely respond to people who are mean in the forum, but you sir deserve a reply, in kind.

First.. you have been wasting forum space and I assume your one of those player who also waste world chat space with whining. An adult, like you try to describe yourself by calling other players "puppy", should just have done what the puppy said. Move 2 meter to the side, if this was such a big case to grumble about and the problem would have been solved. This is how most adults handle others, OR they tell it directly to the one its concern. Going on a stage like you just did, tells me that your more puppy, than the puppy and not anywhere near being an mature individual (even if the case you should be 50 years old).

Second, like other players have pointed out, watch your toon and fishing would be very easy to do, its a game for youngster and designed thereafter. "even a kid can figure it out".. what does that say about you?

It says your just a 12 years old troll, and to my regret, I have just feed it...

I typically fish in 3rd person and watch for the moment my rod bends. So others fishing right next to me are not a bother. Likely people who came up are also not bothered by nearby fishermen and as a result did not realize they were a bother to the OP. I mean, what is general in-game standard on this?

Here is a little personal example: I come from EverQuest which has no open tapping and whichever group does most damage gets all xp and loot. For that reason, parking your group next to one already camping a spot without offering a legitimate reason is considered exceedingly rude. (I.e. arriving group may need kills for quest or faction and assures they will not touch the namer) And DPSing the mob you are fighting is twice so.

You could imagine how appaled I was at overall rudeness of LotRO players who would lay into my target without saying a word! That is, until I learned about open tapping.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    "I'm not self centered, but I'm going to complain about people who aren't playing the game like I want them to."
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

I understand what Froyo is saying, but when you are on a timed fishing quest, you don't want to spend 30-60 seconds of it running around the pond. I've never had a problem knowing when it was my line that had a fish on because I watch my rod. When it bends, I click.

Then if that's what you did, what's the problem? You move over a bit and problem solved. Even at the fishing quests during the festival I did not have a problem with finding a space alone.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

My fishing pole disappears, and I didn't know about the step, so I have always just watched the bobber, and it can get confusing if it's crowded, so I always moved, too -- which is annoying if you're timed. Live and learn about the step thing, but out of habit I'll probably still watch the bobber, lol. Not sure why it's a big deal to just leave some space, though. Is there a magical spot you simply must fish from?
    Milarien Cardhra of Lorien (Minstrel), Mileirien (Warden), Milirien (Minstrel), Milafarien (Hunter), Ariestir (Rune-keeper) etc
    (Minstrel: The Tootsie Roll Pop of Middle Earth!) + other accounts
    Ring Guard of Rivendell (Gladden, formerly of Elendilmir), founded in beta
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/184766484880526/

As fishing is so tedious I just can't sit watch the bobber, the line or feet for the 10 or 20 minutes. I've been watching the Tour or World Cup in another window on top and switch when I hear a splash so I do require space and make a point of moving away when urinal etiquette challenged peeps turn up. I do watch when I run two clients on the same monitor to fish though.

Moving while reeling in doesn't affect the catch so no time lost, in 10 mins I can make 3 or 4 laps of the pond if not looking at other stuff. Can be at the fish barter guy as the last fish lands too.

Mac
    See my Lotro gaming videos:
    Macdui on Youtube.

I agree with you master Froyo Yes, we can move, but why wouldn't others occasionally show same consideration? I'm especially fond of the lot that pile itself up, atop npc, and then even go afk.

./shakefist