We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Things I found wrong about Red Guardian - u22.3

General issues:

Passive Trait issues:
    • Thrill of Battle is just bad. Should be replaced with something at least somewhat decent.
    • Heavy Weapons Training was reduced from 10% to 5%. First talent/set trait Overpower was given extra 5% damage instead. So, basically the same as before. In fact, Guardians have lost parry chance and mitigation bonuses from Overpower.
    • Skilled Deflection's tooltip is incorrect, it doesn't increase parry/partial parry rating, it increases full parry chance.
    • Broad Strokes bleed, Slashing Wound, doesn't get applied if first attack is BPE'd or resisted, and second attack goes through.
    • To the Rescue.....to the trash can. Especially now that trait swapping has a 30 second cooldown, it's even worse than before.
    • Warriors Fortitude physical mastery bonus is laughable. +460 mastery at level 115 can barely be seen on tooltips. Instead of mastery, have it give +5% damage.

Set bonuses/talents issues:
    • Reactive Parry's damage is terrible. On average, a 300 damage hit that can't be scaled with physical mastery, %damage bonuses nor debuffs. Trait overall is disappointing.
    • Protection by the Sword cannot be used if the target is Shield-walled.
    • Protection by the Sword is disabled if the Guardian that's trying to cast it is Shield-walled.
    • Protection by the Sword's damage bonus and reaction AOE is relatively small.
    • Heavy Blows blows. Now, it's not strictly it's own fault, it's the fact that it's relying on critical hits while there's nothing to give critical chance in the trait tree (excluding the 2% from Warriors Fortitude)
    • Prey on the Weak is making me pray for another replacement. Damage is weak, it relies on a critical hit, for which you need to get rating, good luck getting that while leveling.
    • Prey on the Weak cannot crit itself nor does it benefit from any such bonus. At least it scales with physical mastery....

Active Skills issues:
    • Sting and Stagger have their damage values reversed. Sting does more damage while being on half the cooldown of Stagger. Unintentional? Or intentional cause of Stagger debuff?
    • Catch a Breath is still bugged when using it with War-Chants Demoralizing Anthem. On the UI, it's icon can be clear of cooldown timer, however it can still not be used.
    • Brutal Assault's animation could be a bit of speeding up.
    • To the King:
      1. Animation is painfully slow.
      2. Blind Rage takes too many points to max.
      3. Blind Rage damage buff is mediocre at best.
    • Hammer Down:
      1. In spite of it's rather awesome effects, feels pretty underwhelming in practice, especially disappointing when it gets (partially) BPE'd.
      2. For it's cooldown, it's damage is pretty bad and such, skill cannot be relied on in combat.
      3. While not a parry response skill, it benefits from any legacy and bonus to parry response skills.
      4. If you trait Tireless Blows, using it can cause Brutal Assault to reset.
      5. Stun feels pretty out of place. Older version with bonus damage and reset on defeat was better and more satisfying to use.
      6. Consider reducing it's cooldown and moving it to the actual parry chain, behind To the King. Would fit it's theme a lot better.
      7. Abyss of Mordath raid set almost completely reverts it to the old version, where it reset on defeat and granted extra melee damage (doesn't do extra damage on it's own if the target is under certain threshold).
    • Honourable Combat's heal and power restore are weak. 15% morale and power heal isn't all that impressive, especially considering it's AOE based. I thought the goal of this rework was to move away from AOE?
    Last edited by Decrepify; Jul 08 2018 at 09:26 AM.

Bleed specific issues:
    • Deep and Slashing Wound seem to crit more often than average critical rating.
    • Using Overwhelm has a chance to completely fail, attack happens, Deep Wound disappears but Terrible Wound doesn't appear (attack isn't BPE'd, nor a resist happens).
    • On landscape, getting to Terrible Wound, especially with decent physical mastery rating, it's rarely possible. But then again, it's rarely needed.
    • Hemorrhaging Wound sometimes disappears when you proc Insult to Injury.
    • All bleeds are resistant to resistance it seems, as regardless of your finesse rating, they rarely ever get resisted.
    • At 5 stacks, max rank of Tenderize actually procs a Slashing Wound bleed. I was unable to get it to trigger along with Sweeping Cuts Slashing Wound as well.
    • Insult to Injury proc makes bleeds not able to crit.

Terrible Wound crits properly, done after re-testing
    Last edited by Decrepify; Jul 14 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Honourable Combat heal is shoddy at best, I've noticed that more often than not it gets chopped away not long after you use it.

As long as there is Whirling Retaliation and Sweeping Cut there is AoE with red line. Terrible wound rarely gets a chance to crit because things are usually dead from the other skills before that happens.

With this new iteration, ToB doesn't really work the way it used to, before Edgecase got to work on the Guardian and gave us the bleed tiering garbage. ( part of the reason that I left tbh )

Hammer Down, is STILL underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Hythel45 View Post
    Terrible wound rarely gets a chance to crit because things are usually dead from the other skills before that happens
    Was practicing a DPS rotation in AOM T1 the other day, with the focus of keeping as many bleeds up as possible at the time. During 1st boss, Terrible Wound's crit rate was around 7%. My critical rating is close to 65k when fully buffed. So yeah, something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Decrepify View Post
    Was practicing a DPS rotation in AOM T1 the other day, with the focus of keeping as many bleeds up as possible at the time. During 1st boss, Terrible Wound's crit rate was around 7%. My critical rating is close to 65k when fully buffed. So yeah, something is wrong.

Insult to injury bugs the bleeds crit rate, don't trait it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justapvpdude View Post
    Insult to injury bugs the bleeds crit rate, don't trait it.
    I am well aware of that, I don't and anyone who asks me if it's worth traiting, I tell them this.

Quote Originally Posted by Decrepify View Post
    I am well aware of that, I don't and anyone who asks me if it's worth traiting, I tell them this.
    Extremely bad RNG luck than with only 7% crit on terrible wound, i usually don't have a problem with the crit rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Justapvpdude View Post
    Extremely bad RNG luck than with only 7% crit on terrible wound, i usually don't have a problem with the crit rate.
    I'll run a few more parses once AOM resets, could be just bad luck, though I've heard people saying things about TW so

Decrepify, are you still getting the same results with TW after running AoM again ?

Decrepify, are you still getting the same results with TW after running AoM again ?
    Making a raid as a DPSing Guardian makes people give me weird looks

I'll run AOM tomorrow and post results for sure, lazy ATM.

Updated Terrible Wound error on my part, however found a new one.

Suggestions for Vastin:
    • Have Overwhelm tooltip list Terrible Wounds stats (Damage and duration). There's currently no way to see it unless applied.
    • Swap Sting and Stagger damage values, they seem to have been flipped. Sting always dealt less damage than Stagger, now it's no longer the case, due to cooldowns.
    • Fray the Edge applies a hit which transfers Brutal Charge Knockdown, allowing you to stun something at a very long range. Should be removed.
    • Tie Hammer Down to the Parry Responses list, lock it behind To The King, and reduce it's cooldown. Makes more sense as a finishing skill.
    • Remove Hammer Down stun and replace it with an effect that causes it to ignore BPE if the target is low enough (<30%)
    • Insult to Injury breaks all bleeds critical chances. Either fix, or disable them working on it.
    • Change Thrill of Battle, it's an eye sore.
    • To the Rescue still isn't good unless min-maxing with swap pieces, and even then, it's underwhelming
    • Skilled Deflection and Defensive Expertise need tooltip clean up.
    • Honourable Combat is pretty lame. Fuse Thrill of Battle and Honourable combat into one cap trait.
      1. Critical Hits onto a target that has Terrible or Haerrmohaging wound restore a amount of morale and power (5% morale, 2.5% power). This way, you can only self-heal from a single target, as spreading either bleed is relatively difficult. Terrible because it need 2 parry responses to access, and Haerrmohaging because it doesn't last long enough to be useful. Remove Invirourating Parry in this case
      2. Make either Terrible or Haerrmohaging wound reduce the targets armour by a small amount, with further critical hits increasing the armour reduced, up to a cap. Similar as Rend, except single target and depending on criticals.
    • Warriors Fortitude needs improvements overall.
    • Reactive Parry's bad and we should feel bad.
    • Protection by the Sword is useless while soloing, and Guards aren't group-DPS material, so it's kinda cornered itself.
    • Have Prey on the Weak work on all Bleeds individually, as it stands, it's pretty underwhelming while solo.

I'm aware that dps is better than it used to be on red guard but I would like to see Thrill of Battle be either a physical mastery increase or a might increase. Invigourating Parry seems awfully weak even at lower levels.

I agree with Decrepify on fusing Thrill of battle's heal and honourable combat's heal , but would suggest a 6-7% heal and a 3-3.5% power restore.

I assume that you are suggesting to remove the knockdown effect from tactical skills and leave the effect with melee only skills.

I'm aware that dps is better than it used to be on red guard but I would like to see Thrill of Battle be either a physical mastery increase or a might increase. Invigourating Parry seems awfully weak even at lower levels.

I agree with Decrepify on fusing Thrill of battle's heal and honourable combat's heal , but would suggest a 6-7% heal and a 3-3.5% power restore.

I assume that you are suggesting to remove the knockdown effect from tactical skills and leave the effect with melee only skills.
    That would be correct, yes.

Few more things I found

Newly discovered:
    • If a Guardian is stunned in the middle of TTK animation, but before dealing the damage, they still receive the Blind Rage buff.
    • Blind Rage's description is incorrect and needs to be changed.
    • Hammer Down criticals and devastate seem to draw from some static damage base before amplification, as I have been consistantly hitting same critical and devastate numbers. This was done on multiple targets several time, and almost always the damage numbers were exactly the same.
    • Contrary to Vastin's notes, 5 stacks of Tenderize does properly give Sting the ability to cause of bleed. However, this bleed, for whatever reason, is counted as "Slashing Wound", and will be overwritten by Sweeping Cuts bleed. This is the weakest accessible bleed possible. Tested. Sweeping Cut bleed takes priority over Tenderize bleed and you cannot have both active.
    Last edited by Decrepify; Jul 24 2018 at 09:40 AM.