We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Player Breaking In!

Hello everyone,

While I have had this game installed for years, I finally am going to sit down and play it as I should have many years ago. I am re-reading the book and of course that brought up the itch to get on and play and as such I decided to really give it my MMO all and renounce the other titles I usually play for the foreseeable future. I am excited to get in as a LM High Elf (wanted a Gandalf play style and close lore) and enjoy the journey as slowly as possible to really take it all in. I have a character on both the Landroval and the Arkenstone server but I think I will be sticking to Landroval as it seems more active.

Any tips/guides etc. for a new player on their first time through as well as suggestions for Kinships on Landroval I would love to hear! I love PvE and the lore of LOTR and am excited for the journey!

This game is very good when it comes to following the lore of the books. Lore-Masters would not really be a Gandalf-esque class, as their ability to summon pets makes them more like Radagast. There is no real Gandalf class, but Lore-Master would be the closest thing.
    If you are going to play this game be ready to invest either (a) some money or (b) a lot of time into it. One may unlock every region/expansion without paying a thing (as I am attempting right now), but it takes a lot of grinding and effort. Many people say that going VIP is a good option, and from what I have read it seems like a good idea. If you are going to go VIP create as many characters as you will possibly use as characters created after your VIP expires do not get a lot of the VIP bonuses.
    If you ever see a Lootbox or a Sturdy Steel Key in your Loot list ALWAYS take it. One can get many good rewards from them.
    That's all I can think of right now. I would not consider myself an expert on this game (highest character is a level 86 Elf Hunter in Eastern Rohan), so many people will probably have better tips than me.

PS: Enjoy the Summer Festival while it is on!

Welcome to LOTRO and to the Lore-master class.

Our class forum is here

The server forum is here Landroval is an English language, Role Playing encouraged, European server Arkenstone is a US server focused more on general play than role playing though we do have our role players.

The Wiki on Lore-masters is here and there are many links to additional information on that page.

Until you are granted posting privileges in the regular forums, should take a few days, if you have a question post in this forum and some body will answer.

Over the years there have been many changes to the LM making some of the information obsolete. Currently every class is undergoing a class re-balance; changing some very fundamental LM skills. These changes have brought and are bringing some negative comments. The changes are not class killing, but they sure do force the LM player to make some adjustments and some of these hurt - Water Lore... However, none of the changes are class killing.

A LM is one of the better classes to solo, though all classes can, a LM is one of the easier ones. We kill slow, our pets can handle multiply mobs thus allowing us to progress quicker than some other classes. With time, learning and good gear we can take 5 to 8 at a time (depending on how we are equipped, traited and our experience). Strongly recommend you get a Stone of the Tortoise, available through the store for around 100 lp. The stone will stop all xp from mob kills, quests, crafting except for Item experience. The xp comes fast and furious, causing you to out level an area long before your want to leave, the stone will allow you to stop leveling until the mobs are a challenge again or you are ready to move on.

Again welcome to LOTRO and to being a LM. Take your time, smell the roses and enjoy the story and travel to many iconic locations - The Shire, Rivendell, Moria, Rohan, Helm's Deep, Gondor, Minis Tirith, Mordor and to many places beyond.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    Landroval is an English language, Role Playing encouraged, European server...
    Landroval is a US server.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    ...snip...

Strongly recommend you get a Stone of the Tortoise, available through the store for around 100 lp. The stone will stop all xp from mob kills, quests, crafting except for Item experience. The xp comes fast and furious, causing you to out level an area long before your want to leave, the stone will allow you to stop leveling until the mobs are a challenge again or you are ready to move on.

...snip...
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...f_the_Tortoise

Some good advice there.
    Not only will you find it easy to outlevel the landscape stuff, you will find it much more rewarding if you keep the landscape mobs near your own level.
    One-shotting everything gets a bit boring and it will happen if you don't use the Stone.

Remember: "If its not dangerous, its not fun!"
    ....................... missed a putt. ...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Landroval is a US server.
    Yep, your correct. A miss-read on my part.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

About that dangerous part... true to a point. Once you have been dow a certain road an umpteen number of times, having to fight off every orc, wolf or spider becomes a chore. I do like to come first to an area more or less on level, but later I like to revisit when it has gone gray, so I can take in the sights and finish unfinished deeds in a more relaxing manner.

Game issue

When I opened the game for the first time on my AOL desktop I found many issues, the game gets hanged on my system. AOL chat support made the game support on my AOL system, as I reinstalled the game to clear the issue. Later the game didnot hang and I continued playing the game without any issue.

hello all LoTRO...
    I have just spent. the last 3 days ,Yes thats 3 days downloading all the files and game content, To play this game.
    Now that i have downloaded everything , and i input my account name and pw into the launcher. i get Absalutely NOTHING! what is going on? what else must i do to delve into this seemingly awesome world? Heres what i get after i type my user name and pw in the launcher. Cant open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit.[201]
    Are you kidding me? seriously? after all this time?
    What more must i do? I am looking to substitute another game for one im tired of. would like to give this a try..... Please help me!!
    Thank you for your time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Umaroth_1 View Post
    hello all LoTRO...
    I have just spent. the last 3 days ,Yes thats 3 days downloading all the files and game content, To play this game.
    Now that i have downloaded everything , and i input my account name and pw into the launcher. i get Absalutely NOTHING! what is going on? what else must i do to delve into this seemingly awesome world? Heres what i get after i type my user name and pw in the launcher. Cant open the data files. Check that they exist and that you have permission to write to them. The program will now exit.[201]
    Are you kidding me? seriously? after all this time?
    What more must i do? I am looking to substitute another game for one im tired of. would like to give this a try..... Please help me!!
    Thank you for your time.....
    Have a read of this thread, it will guide you through the hoops you need to jump through to get LOTRO working on a Win10 system (just a guess). Also be aware it is best to disable firewall and anti virus programs during download, AV seriously slows everything down, and firewall heuristics dont like the game executables, you may have to manually give permission to get lotro.exe to work.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Have a read of this thread, it will guide you through the hoops you need to jump through to get LOTRO working on a Win10 system (just a guess). Also be aware it is best to disable firewall and anti virus programs during download, AV seriously slows everything down, and firewall heuristics dont like the game executables, you may have to manually give permission to get lotro.exe to work.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-Rule-Them-All

Ok I seriously thank you for replying. I'm actually amazed someone actually did reply. Thank you.
    Ive read thru most of the link you suggested. I now am asking , Is this telling me i need to uninstall the game now and then reinstall following those directions?
    Please bare with me here. I am of the older crowd compared to most gamers. I am not up to date on most of to days technologies. all this app stuff just blows my mind. it didd'nt used to be so difficult to download a game.
    by the way i have an older computer running (windows 8.1 , AMD A4- 3420 with Radeon integrated graphics. ( which i have shut off to run my ge force gtx 1050 2 gig card) this seems weak i know but for my system it has worked well on minimum to medium graphics settings.. installed memory 4.0 plus the 2.0 geforce card. 2.80 ghz... again i know its weak yet i can mess with things and make games work to my satisfaction.( it is a 64 bit system though. i did not choose the 64 bit download / HD)
    I will definately attempt to figure out how to give the exe files the required permissions etc etc. hopefully that is the main problem.
    Ty for your time.... Umaroth... ( future Hunter of miraculous feats )
    Last edited by Umaroth_1; Jul 14 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Umaroth_1 View Post
    Ok I seriously thank you for replying. I'm actually amazed someone actually did reply. Thank you.
    Ive read thru most of the link you suggested. I now am asking , Is this telling me i need to uninstall the game now and then reinstall following those directions?
    Please bare with me here. I am of the older crowd compared to most gamers. I am not up to date on most of to days technologies. all this app stuff just blows my mind. it didd'nt used to be so difficult to download a game.
    by the way i have an older computer running (windows 8.1 , AMD A4- 3420 with Radeon integrated graphics. ( which i have shut off to run my ge force gtx 1050 2 gig card) this seems weak i know but for my system it has worked well on minimum to medium graphics settings.. installed memory 4.0 plus the 2.0 geforce card. 2.80 ghz... again i know its weak yet i can mess with things and make games work to my satisfaction.( it is a 64 bit system though. i did not choose the 64 bit download / HD)
    I will definately attempt to figure out how to give the exe files the required permissions etc etc. hopefully that is the main problem.
    Ty for your time.... Umaroth... ( future Hunter of miraculous feats )
    Do not uninstall. Just run through those instructions to ensure old C++ library and DX9 & company are installed correctly.

Win 8.1 is fine. LOTRO will still run on XP.

There is no 64 bit version. There is a set of hi-res data files and I believe that's what you skipped loading. Medium res should work fine, and you can tweak it a lot with graphics settings to add/subtract bits to get best look and performance for your system. LOTRO does love to use the maximum possible memory for a 32 bit program, so best if you can minimize anything else running when you play, or drop the graphics quality more. The video card will help, but there's a constant disk to ram to video ram movement of data as you run around.

Good luck.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Do not uninstall. Just run through those instructions to ensure old C++ library and DX9 & company are installed correctly.

Win 8.1 is fine. LOTRO will still run on XP.

There is no 64 bit version. There is a set of hi-res data files and I believe that's what you skipped loading. Medium res should work fine, and you can tweak it a lot with graphics settings to add/subtract bits to get best look and performance for your system. LOTRO does love to use the maximum possible memory for a 32 bit program, so best if you can minimize anything else running when you play, or drop the graphics quality more. The video card will help, but there's a constant disk to ram to video ram movement of data as you run around.

Good luck.
    Hopefully, your av hasnt damaged/deleted any of the install files as you downloaded them; if it has, then a delete and reinstall might be needed.

As above, check you have the correct dx9 and run time library files; LOTRO does something odd with internet protocols when launching, and this can trigger a Firewall to block it 3/4 of the way through the launch, so dig through firewall heuristics logs. Both of the firewalls I have used with LOTRO have blocked it this way, and neither gave any warning; I HAD to go digging to find the issue.

Some other bad news is that the A4 is a VERY weak cpu, from a range of very weak cpus; LOTRO hits the cpu VERY hard, so this, rather than the gfx is going to be the limitation. You will be OK on the lower levels, but once you get beyond Mirkwood (L60+), your system is really going to struggle.