We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Why does instance finder *never* pop?

Do people not run instances anymore? I thought this game was moving back towards group content and raiding?

I've been back a month and haven't had a single queue pop. I've been 115 for a week and sit their constantly in a queue. Yesterday I was in the queue for 6 hours before giving up.

/sigh

Yeah I don't think people use it that way, but advertize in /world.
    I was wondering the same thing...

Instance finder was never used at all, even when it was introduced. If people are looking to group, they make a post on one of the global channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Decrepify View Post
    Instance finder was never used at all, even when it was introduced. If people are looking to group, they make a post on one of the global channels.
    What? I used it all the time back before. Rarely took longer than 15 min to pop even as DPS.

If I have to rely on world chat in this day and age to find groups I'm done. Game chat now days is unbearably obnoxious and intolerable.

Someone with this join date spewing this non-sense.

May 2017

/doublefacepalm

I used it a few times back when I first started playing (a year or so before I joined the forums), but it dried up towards the end of 2016, and on the few occaisions I have wanted someone to join in even a fairly basic instance, there have been no takers.

A few months back, I had a request up for over a week to do Limelight Gorge, and in the end I followed a few 100-115s going through there and picked off what I could; I got killed plenty of times (they could have healed me, or helped me, but that is the state of the game these days)

Instance finder isn't really popular these days. Players either announce in chat (and fortunately often use LFF channel) or do runs in kins/with friends. Many don't even know you can use it to find groups. It may differ from server to server I guess but that has been my experience so far.
    Last edited by kudurru1; Jul 06 2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rhugga View Post
    Do people not run instances anymore? I thought this game was moving back towards group content and raiding?

I've been back a month and haven't had a single queue pop. I've been 115 for a week and sit their constantly in a queue. Yesterday I was in the queue for 6 hours before giving up.

/sigh
    I really wish it worked as intended, but folks do indeed form groups (very quickly!) in /LFF

Doesn't really hurt to keep using it as intended. All it needs is more people to try!
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

May 2017

/doublefacepalm

My main toons playtime, started playing in Siege of Mirkwood, when tanking was fun, Wardens/RK were cool classes for me and we PUG'd without Instance Finder.

Wanna know why it wasn't used? Especially for serious content?
    If people are PUGing for T2(C), they want to inspect folks. While mot a representative of skill, gear can give people some insight as to if a person at leasts know what starting gear is needed. Nobody wanted an undergeared random joining through instance finder.

That's why I never used it. That's why it was phased out.
    Last edited by Decrepify; Jul 06 2018 at 09:44 AM.

My main toons playtime, started playing in Siege of Mirkwood, when tanking was fun, Wardens/RK were cool classes for me and we PUG'd without Instance Finder.

If people are PUGing for T2(C), they want to inspect folks. While mot a representative of skill, gear can give people some insight as to if a person at leasts know what starting gear is needed. Nobody wanted an undergeared random joining through instance finder.

This man talks sense, +1.

The reason why the instance finder is hardly used by anyone (at least on my server) is that in its first implementation it was rather useless if you wanted to search for a specific instance. You could only choose between 3/6 men and T1/T2, the instance finder then put your group in a random instance within your specification.
    If you wanted to do for example Fornost - Wraith of Water and no other instance you could not do that using the instance finder as a group finder, but had to be a full group and open the instance.
    So in the first time nobody used it and later when you could choose a specific instance this did not really change because everyone "knew" the instance finder was useless.

in the end: no one uses the instance finder, because no one uses the instance finder.
    The instance finder works and has all the features it needs. For instances like the featured instance and Seregost, it would be the easiest way to use it, but people just dont like it. Plus (my personal opinion), running instances just isnt really interesting at all for many players. Therefore, with too less players running instances, the finder would take too much time to find groups anyway, besides the regularly farmed ones.

It feels like we have 50 instances in lotro, but due to how the loot is, 45+ of those are obsolete.
    If players got scaled for instances and could get viable loot that way, using the finder should be much more interesting for nearly everyone.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    in the end: no one uses the instance finder, because no one uses the instance finder.
    The instance finder works and has all the features it needs. For instances like the featured instance and Seregost, it would be the easiest way to use it, but people just dont like it. Plus (my personal opinion), running instances just isnt really interesting at all for many players. Therefore, with too less players running instances, the finder would take too much time to find groups anyway, besides the regularly farmed ones.

It feels like we have 50 instances in lotro, but due to how the loot is, 45+ of those are obsolete.
    If players got scaled for instances and could get viable loot that way, using the finder should be much more interesting for nearly everyone.

Both of these posts say the same thing -- Raiders and End-game players do NOT use the Instance Finder, because it is designed to support "non-raiders" and "non-end-gamers" -- i.e. the novice, the ungeared, the inexperienced PUG players.

Long time players never had an Instance Finder, so they recruited Kinmates (guildmates) to run instances with -- and virtually every Kin uses their private Kinship Chat to establish these runs!
    These are very different from PUGs (Pick-up-Groups), in that Kinmates not only know each other (gearing and skills); frequenly have a private Voice server (like Mumble) instead of using the broken in-game voice chat, and are willing to help each other learn the ins and outs of any given Instance or Raid.

The normal technique is for a Kin to recruit and establish a group, and then use the Instance Join Panel to start it.

LOTRO is still all about the Kinships! So, the lesson here is -- find a Kin and join up. Your gaming experience will change dramatically for the better!

How many instances are there?

There is a list of "World Instances" and their levels on the WIKI: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/World_Instance

Additionally, there are Crafting instance, Epic Battles, Featured Instances, Raids, Skimishes: See the WIKI Instances: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Instances
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

When the IF was in its early phases, I was in couple of groups that used it to fill up remaining free spots. So it happened, that every time it wanted to match us with people who were vastly higher level than some of the group, and calculated the instance level to be a mean value (I think) of the group members' levels. Trying to do instances at level 50-60 when most people were level 40ish got old pretty fast, and I haven't looked at the 2 first tabs of IF since.
    Whether or not they have tweaked its functionality since those times, I don't know.

In all the time I've played this game, I have never tried to fill a group with the IF panel.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

May 2017

/doublefacepalm
    Forum join date can have little or no correlation to game join date.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Instead of Instance Finder, what we need is Instance Tinder!
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    Instead of Instance Finder, what we need is Instance Tinder!
    Problem with that is most players will dutifully swipe left or right, but Burgs will Swipe Everything and sell the loot to an NPC or on the AH.

;D
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

The instance finder has several problems.
    1. Main problem: It came late. Overcoming an established system is always hard, especially if the offered product doesn't offer *more*.
    2. LFF is an advertisement. Group finder is a registration. With lff I am automatically "registered" for all runs on the server, maybe even find one I haven't thought of. With IF I am restricted (and open) to anything I selected, at any time the IF fills the group.
    3. It is based on roles, not classes. With the ups and downs of classes as well as their principal differences, just roles is not enough. This is of course less of a problem in T1, but it can still be an annoyance. It might e.g. be a bad idea to ask for 3 DDs and get 3 fire RKs for a boss that reflects fire damage.
    4. No inspection (T2...). Usually irrelevant for T1. LoE made that different even for T1.
    5. less/no flexibility for switching chars. Need tank or healer, offer the other.

IMO with the establishement of a global channel for LFF, the instance finder became obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    Both of these posts say the same thing -- Raiders and End-game players do NOT use the Instance Finder, because it is designed to support "non-raiders" and "non-end-gamers" -- i.e. the novice, the ungeared, the inexperienced PUG players.

Long time players never had an Instance Finder, so they recruited Kinmates (guildmates) to run instances with -- and virtually every Kin uses their private Kinship Chat to establish these runs!
    These are very different from PUGs (Pick-up-Groups), in that Kinmates not only know each other (gearing and skills); frequenly have a private Voice server (like Mumble) instead of using the broken in-game voice chat, and are willing to help each other learn the ins and outs of any given Instance or Raid.

The normal technique is for a Kin to recruit and establish a group, and then use the Instance Join Panel to start it.

LOTRO is still all about the Kinships! So, the lesson here is -- find a Kin and join up. Your gaming experience will change dramatically for the better!

While this is all somewhat true , you fail to mention the number 1 reason (1) instance finder will never work :- D

Tadaaaaaaaaaaa : (1) Too few people play this game. (/1)

I've played several MMOs , they all have some form of kinship , lff channel ( although not global most of the times ) , plenty of soloers that don't group etc but still , their version of instance finder works.
    Not for the hardest content ! But for easier runs.
    Lotro's instance finder could work for deed runs , t1 , maybe some t2 featured instance runs etc , but there's just not enough people to sustain it.
    The biggest mistake they did was removing the mark bonus that it had when it originally launched.
    It was plain stupid.
    Another mechanic put to ice , shame really.
    Also , the global lff channel was the final nail to the coffin. It's just too good if you want people for a run , the whole server sees it and you can ask to inspect and get the proper classes if you aim for the hard stuff.
    Imagine having a global lff implemented on another MMO though... Damn , that would be a flood dream , propably worse than the gold spammers were on their peak before latest update...
    On other games , such a global group channel would be so frustrating that people would simply mute it and switch to permanent ''instance finder'' ^^ Funny right ?
    Which brings us back to (1) ^^

When it first came out it was used enough that the queue would work in finding a group. At least I used it plenty of times for 3 mans. But I think now you really need to form your group with the chat channels and just use instance finder to start the instance (either by choice or randomly).

If the problem with the instance finder is that it is not for end game players, but rather for those that don't really play grouped content, then yes, it will never be used.

So how does one fix that?

1) Make sure it is completely random within broad filters (choose party size, style (skirmish versus other perhaps), and level of play).
    2) Give unique special rewards for those that are truly being put into a random group via the instance finder.
    3) Must not be able to cheat the system to get all your buddies to play together. The grouping must be random.
    4) There must be heavy penalties for people leaving because they do not like that they didn't get grouped with certain people. (this might take some hard thinking to implement)

I would be willing to try some of the instances if this were the case. The rewards would need to be worth it. Else no one would use it. I would especially use this for skirmishes.