We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    8

    Any Quest Packs that Aren't Part of an Expansion?

    Hi!

    Quick question: Are there any quests packs (currently on sale) which are not part of the bigger expansions?

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    8
    Reddit Thread: https://redd.it/8tahd0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,765
    Most quest packs are NOT part of an expansion. All of the expansions are sold in two forms. One is called "Expansion" and is the full expansion. The other is called "Expansion Quests" and contains the quests, but not any additional classes, instances, skirmishes, etc.

    The LOTRO Market (cash sales outside the game, link above) only sells expansions.

    The in-game store sells both Expansions and Expansion Quests (for fewer LOTRO Points).

    Anything sold as a Quest Pack is only from the in-game store for LP and is NOT part of any expansion.

    I hope this clarifies things for you.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    8
    So the quest packs which are only available through those packs (and not bigger expansions) are valid purchases while the quest packs which can also be earned by the larger expansions as part of it aren't worth a buy since you might get the larger expansion later and unlock the quest pack anyway?

    Many thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Karthorik View Post
    So the quest packs which are only available through those packs (and not bigger expansions) are valid purchases while the quest packs which can also be earned by the larger expansions as part of it aren't worth a buy since you might get the larger expansion later and unlock the quest pack anyway?

    Many thanks!
    Yeah, pretty much that.

    The <expansion name> Quests content is purchased by players who want to run the quests from an expansion but have no interest in the group instances that come with the full expansion. Sometimes it's a financial constraint and they can only afford the quests. If they really want to have the instance content later on, they'd have to purchase the full expansion and pay again for the quests they already bought.

    Do note that expansions can go on sale in the real money LOTRO Market now and then. The Friday after US Thanksgiving (after 4th Thursday in Nov) has had expansion sales as high as a 75%-85% discount.

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Most quest packs are NOT part of an expansion. All of the expansions are sold in two forms. One is called "Expansion" and is the full expansion. The other is called "Expansion Quests" and contains the quests, but not any additional classes, instances, skirmishes, etc.

    The LOTRO Market (cash sales outside the game, link above) only sells expansions.

    The in-game store sells both Expansions and Expansion Quests (for fewer LOTRO Points).

    Anything sold as a Quest Pack is only from the in-game store for LP and is NOT part of any expansion.

    I hope this clarifies things for you.
    Crystal clear for me now, as I was a bit confused as well. thanks!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25
    Returning player who played just the first couple years and not since at all.

    When I look at expansions and quest packs, I get confused. If I buy an expansion, I don't need the quest pack for that too, do I (as a premium player). I am subbing for one month right now to create characters I want, get things unlocked, then will drop my sub.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliner View Post
    Returning player who played just the first couple years and not since at all.

    When I look at expansions and quest packs, I get confused. If I buy an expansion, I don't need the quest pack for that too, do I (as a premium player). I am subbing for one month right now to create characters I want, get things unlocked, then will drop my sub.
    Quest packs and expansions cover different areas - if you want to quest in, let's say, Angmar, you need Angmar Quest Pack. If you want to quest in Moria, you need Moria Expansion(OR Moria Quest Pack which doesn't contain instances - and no, you don't need to buy both).

    If you sub for a month only, you will unlock some goodies, like swift travel but you will not permanently unlock any area - Premium players must buy quest packs and expansions if they want to do something more than Epic line.
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25
    I am starting a couple characters fresh (and deleting some old ones I never leveled very far) so I am nowhere near the level cap. I did buy the big combined quest pack that seems to be all the quests from the original game so I have that. And I had bought Moria before I quit, and that shows on my account page.

    So basically, if I wait for a sale and buy all the remaining expansions, then when I visit the Lotro Store in game, the only quest packs visible should be the ones I don't have, correct? And then I can buy those when they are on sale.

    This is all a bit confusing, but it's good to be playing the game again. Thank you!

  10. #10
    Ah, so you should have plenty to do till around level 60 with what you have atm.

    There are 5 more Expansions to get: Siege of Mirkwood, Rise of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, Helm's Deep and Mordor. Best way to buy them is wait for mega sale on Lotro market (https://store.standingstonegames.com) as expansions bought in the in-game store don't come with extra things, like mounts etc.

    The rest of Quest Packs, you get from in-game store and they go on sale also. The store will show you only what your toon can buy atm but always check twice (for instance I'm still being offered Eriador bundle even though I own all the quest packs).
    Roaming Gladden since 2013

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload