We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Recommend a solo/leveling build with new changes?

I haven't played my Guardian in a long while, took a couple other toons to mordor and beyond but now I'm eyeballing picking up my dwarf again. He's currently 85 and I logged on to see that, like everyone else, he needs to respec. I understand there was a bit of a dps boost, so that sounds good. Are there any recommended builds for soloing yet or is it too soon after the update?

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_marley View Post
    I haven't played my Guardian in a long while, took a couple other toons to mordor and beyond but now I'm eyeballing picking up my dwarf again. He's currently 85 and I logged on to see that, like everyone else, he needs to respec. I understand there was a bit of a dps boost, so that sounds good. Are there any recommended builds for soloing yet or is it too soon after the update?
    Which line do you prefer? Blue line has gotten significantly quicker to solo with the last update and that's what I play dipping a little into red line for increased damage and then yellow for increased class effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewyze View Post
    Which line do you prefer? Blue line has gotten significantly quicker to solo with the last update and that's what I play dipping a little into red line for increased damage and then yellow for increased class effectiveness.
    I would guess if blue line has gotten better for solo and I'd be using it when I start tanking things it might be best if I got used to using it a lot. I think blue line with red would be a nice way to go. Any tips on a build with the new changes in mind?
    Last edited by jacob_marley; Jun 23 2018 at 01:00 PM.

I would guess if blue line has gotten better for solo and I'd be using it when I start tanking things it might be best if I got used to using it a lot.
    I typically run mostly Red Line (I don't bother with the capstones), and go as far into yellow as I can. This is great for soloing. However, when I want to seriously tank an instance, I will switch over to blue line.

I think a really good way to get used to tanking in blue line is to equip yourself with an herbalist skirm soldier, and run solo skirms with it. As you get more practice, run solo in two or three person skirms. Consider yourself a darn-good guard when you can win a 3-man, tier 3 skirm, without getting your herbalist killed!

(This is a great way to practice for when things go sideways in PUG's, or when playing with undergeared kinnies.)

As far as build options go, I always try to build my spec so that I can provide myself some significant self-healing. It can make the difference in those really close instances where everyone else is dead, and there is just a little bit to go. (My kin is a small one, and having a minstrel in the group is often wishful thinking.) I also tend to go for block/parry/evade leaning builds, so that I don't need as much vitality, or morale, as you see most of the time. The self healing comes in very handy here.

Whatever you do, go far enough into yellow line to at least get war-chant. I don't know if the most recent update nerfed it much, but it is still a favorite of mine.

(Multiple edits... Should have written this in notepad first. Sorry.)
    Last edited by SmashedApple; Jun 24 2018 at 08:20 PM.

If you want to survive I recommend red. my second main class Is guardian 115 main hunter 115. For the guardian I use blue line when tanking. And red when doing dps because red line for Guardians have bleeds that restore massive amounts of health if used right. You will need to trait your LI for them though.
    So Essence Wise and gear wise I recommend Vanguards bain if you don't have Raid gear yet. Essence Wise Use fitness and Physical mastery and a little crit rate. Now your tac mits might need a essence or too. But if you spam guardians ward on blue gives + tac mits. So I recommend treating Red and Blue for that added help. Hopefuly I answers your questions If you need any help for lower level gear setup give me a call my server is Crickhallow and my toons are Cliffon, Tommytucker.

Safe travels and good luck!

The vast majority of the content while levelling you don't fight too many mobs so I would recommend playing red primarily while levelling using a 2h LI.

Weapon LI:

Pre-imbue legacies wont make a massive difference, most of the damage ability legacies improve by 10%, nice to have them but wont be critical. I would try and get Guardian Bleed Damage and Bleed Critical Damage legacies if possible, which are minor legacies so usually wont be on an LI by default when you first ID them. Both of these go up to 20% and Bleeds are a big part of your damage in red, these legacies will also increase all the bleeds unlike a lot of the damage legacies which only impact one strike. 20% on all bleeds is significantly better than 10% on one strike.
    Other things I would try and get if possible:
    Brutal Assault Damage (major)
    Sweeping Cut Damage (major)
    Overwhelm Damage (major)
    Stamp Cooldown (minor) /or To the King Damage (minor)

Belt LI:

You wont have to lose much sleep working on the dps belt, it has almost zero impact on your damage, if you happen to get good legacies on a low level belt you wont need to upgrade it until level 100. I would try and get:
    Catch a Breath Morale Heal: 1-15% (major)
    Catch a Breath Power Healing: 1-15% (minor)
    Warrior's Heart/Fortitude Morale Heal: 1-25% (minor)
    others which will be somewhat useful:
    Sting Damage 1-10% (major)
    Guardian's Ward Damage 1-10% (major) / or Guardian's Ward Parry Rating (major)

With the new Catch a Breath, the legacies that improve it are pretty good, given all your passive healing has been stripped from red.

While levelling, people tend to have a variable amount of trait points based on how much time you focus on completing deeds, with a minimalistic approach, I would recommend:

Tier 1:

5 points in Skilled Deflection over Heavy Weapons Training to reduce how much you will rely on Force Opening. Heavy Weapons Training isn't great bang for your buck but will come back to it to fill it in as gaps appear later in the tree. You will eventually max it out.

Tier 2:

Get Thrust and Broad Strokes. Thrust creates the Deep Wound bleed. Broad Strokes creates the Slashing Bleed with Sweeping Cut. The extra 2 points I would throw into T1 Heavy Weapons Training.

Tier 3:

Brutal Assault and 4 points into Tireless Blows to open up tier 4. Brutal Assault will eventually create the Haemorrhaging Wound bleed with the T5 Haemorrhage trait but it isn't that great a strike beforehand without the bleed and the reset.

Tier 4:

To The King and Deeper Wound 4/5.

Tier 5:

Haemorrhage 5/5. Will give you a 100% chance for Brutal Assault to cause the Haemorrhaging Wound bleed and increase all bleed damage.

Tier 6:

Blind Rage 5/5. Will give you a 100% chance for To The King to give you +10% melee damage and +20% attack speed.

After T6:

Can pick up Hammer Down if you like and also round off traits you haven't completed, like Deeper Wounds to 5/5, Tireless Blows to 5/5 and finish off Heavy Weapons Training. Some people like Warrior's Fortitude and Honourable Combat, I am not one of those people.

I would recommend this way as you level in order to get more important traits as soon as humanly possible, when levelling slows down a bit you don't want to be waiting a number of levels before you can get useful things like guaranteed Haemorrhaging Wounds bleeds or Blind Rage buffs. The stuff I leave until later isn't of critical importance. All up, the path I have suggested plus Hammer Down will require 36 points, so you can get the foundation relatively early. What you do after that is personal choice.

In blue you can get Relentless Assault to get more block and parry responses, you can burn a block response with Catch a Breath so you don't need to use parry responses for that. Once you have all the bleeds stacked there is still plenty of opportunities to throw in other damaging abilities like Sting. If you opt for that, I would also take Guardian's Pledge, even though you can't block, and even without the legacies which improve it, an additional 20% Parry and Evade is useful in situations you get a number of mobs on you.

The change to bleeds and Radiate has made early yellow a lot weaker for red builds, the mid tier traits are quite nice though but you wont have scope to go much past tier 4 even if you ignore blue entirely until very late in the levelling process. War Chant is still handy, for levelling just be careful that with Demoralizing Anthem you will pull mobs from all over the place. When pathing down Yellow I would recommend you take High-Spirited, War-Chant, Numbed Senses, Demoralizing Anthem, Redirect and Bring on the Pain. You will also have to use Insult to Injury to fill gaps along the way.