We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Suggestion: Classic Servers

Many players would like to play old content, or simply prefer the game as it used to be. As such, I propose creating "Classic" servers. I think this would really bring a lot of players back to the game.

-Replay Shadows of Angmar server. Level cap 50, game as it was at the time of level 50 cap (no trait trees - reversion to old data)

-Moria Classic Server

-Isengard classic server

And maybe have one for the 85 update too.

I think these would be extremely popular and also very effective at bringing players back to the game. Call it "LOTRO Classic" or something similar. I know my whole kin would come back and play an SOA LOTRO Classic server. I suspect the same is true for a lot of former players.
    [Gladden] Second Marshal Clevinger, Third Marshall Katsimbalis, [Arkenstone] Third Marshal Aristedes [Gladden] Lieutenant Creamsicle
    5.1 million renown and counting!

This has been discussed before and the answer is simply NO.

There are 3 main reasons for this;

1. Implementing these servers is way more complicated than you may think, it would require complete redesign of the game and its databases (unless SSG has snapshots of their game from 8+ years ago, which is unlikely).
    2. There is not that much interest for these servers, it may sound cool at the beginning but when you realise how bad the game was at the beginning it would be close to unplayable to today's standards.
    3. Even if it would be easy to implement and there would be enough player to join them, they wouldn't last very long. without updates these servers would fade away in 6-12 months.

I would think they do have snapshots, first of all.

Second, with today's technology, supporting an old game should be much easier.

Third, it was a lot more fun, not "unplayable by today's standards."
    [Gladden] Second Marshal Clevinger, Third Marshall Katsimbalis, [Arkenstone] Third Marshal Aristedes [Gladden] Lieutenant Creamsicle
    5.1 million renown and counting!

If you like to read more about this topic check this thread
    Lotro Forums: Classic Servers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post
    I would think they do have snapshots, first of all.

Second, with today's technology, supporting an old game should be much easier.

Even if they do have snapshots, they would be unusable out of the box. Too many other systems have changed since then. (For example, they had to rewrite parts of the chat system code when moving the servers to a more modern (and supported) OS version. Login and authentication systems are guaranteed to have been updates since SoA time. Etc, etc, etc.)

Blizzard is currently trying to create classic servers for World of Warcraft. Blizzard has a lot more resources that SSG has, and it will still take them a lot of time to get these classic servers up and running. For some of the problems they have run into you can read this: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...rcraft-classic

Creating classic LOTRO servers would run into many similar problems, and thus take a lot of resources away from supporting the normal servers.

As awesome as this sounds it's not feasible, LOTRO is barely pulling in any players as is, and I don't believe it has a hidden stash of veteran players who would return for a Classic server. In fact, most people that play LOTRO nowadays ARE these veterans, I rarely see newbies with 1-4 year portraits anymore.
    This would be a monumental waste of resources, what they should do instead is work on optimization, make the game playable in new areas, make a 64bit client.