We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Trait Line Differences & General Guardian Questions

My guard just hit level 21, I'm really enjoying it and thinking of taking a break from my hunter to level her up. I may even use aria of valar on her to get to end game faster (though I am not sure since the content in this game is so great).

I have a few questions I was hoping the guard community could help with:

1) Are any of the trait lines totally useless? I'm used to running a hunter where blue/red have always been the two choices, I'm curious if it's the same with Guardians.
    2) Can you tank using anything other than blue line? I'm sure it's possible while leveling, but how about end game groups/raids?
    3) How do guardians fare relative to other classes, I've read in the past that it's hard to find groups because captain/warden can tank just as well in most cases and provide other value. Is this true?
    4) Anything else someone should know as a guardian would be greatly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Erendil 50 Hunter Rank 7, Mavellen 45 Warden; Officers of Disciples
    Ragaroth Warleader Rank 7, Marhawk Stalker Rank 5; Members of Cuddle Squad
    Other Characters: Arthilius - Captain, Arthilias - Guardian,
    Claireth - Runekeeper, Harbuckle - Burglar, Lothlirien - Hunter

1) Yellow is great at the start but it scales poorly so by the time you reach level 75 or so you'll find yourself no longer wanting to use it for anything.

2) As far as endgame goes you will only ever use Blue for tanking. Yellow just doesn't have as much value in its traits compared to Blue.

3) Guardians are the default tank for every content. You can pretty much always trust a Guardian to be able to tank something, the other tanks tend to be a bit more situational.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    1) Yellow is great at the start but it scales poorly so by the time you reach level 75 or so you'll find yourself no longer wanting to use it for anything.

2) As far as endgame goes you will only ever use Blue for tanking. Yellow just doesn't have as much value in its traits compared to Blue.

3) Guardians are the default tank for every content. You can pretty much always trust a Guardian to be able to tank something, the other tanks tend to be a bit more situational.
    This is helpful thanks. I did switch to red at level 21 and noticed I was killing mobs twice as fast, but if blue is the tanking build for end game then I think I'll stick to that while leveling to maintain consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    This is helpful thanks. I did switch to red at level 21 and noticed I was killing mobs twice as fast, but if blue is the tanking build for end game then I think I'll stick to that while leveling to maintain consistency.
    With U22.2 earlier this month Guardians got an increase in DPS making leveling on blue line far less tedious. You should notice your shield skills do more damage.

My guard just hit level 21, I'm really enjoying it and thinking of taking a break from my hunter to level her up. I may even use aria of valar on her to get to end game faster (though I am not sure since the content in this game is so great).

I have a few questions I was hoping the guard community could help with:

1) Are any of the trait lines totally useless? I'm used to running a hunter where blue/red have always been the two choices, I'm curious if it's the same with Guardians.
    2) Can you tank using anything other than blue line? I'm sure it's possible while leveling, but how about end game groups/raids?
    3) How do guardians fare relative to other classes, I've read in the past that it's hard to find groups because captain/warden can tank just as well in most cases and provide other value. Is this true?
    4) Anything else someone should know as a guardian would be greatly helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    1) Blue is the strongest spec to tank in.

2) I used a yellow spec for some specific roles at 105, however, I haven't tanked in yellow since Mordor came out, largely due to the hit to BPE partials and the damage reduction amount, too much incoming damage, not enough base mitigation to go without Fortification/Litany (blue spec only). We will have to wait and see until they are finished class balancing. There is a chance they will ignore yellow entirely and leave it as it is.

3) I mostly do boss tanking with my Captain, Guardian is easier to tank with and is probably king of trash tanking. That isn't to say you can't tank bosses with a Guardian, you can tank anything, We have different strengths and weaknesses though. I don't know about Warden, haven't kept up to date with their changes, I am not a huge fan of playing my warden, don't like the gambit system in general. Maybe it will grow on me one day, like cancer.

4) It is a good time to level the Guardian atm, we can do some reasonable damage now.

I don't recommend playing blue solo. Red guardian is slow enough to level, I can't imagine trying to level a blue one.

Quote Originally Posted by TrazorMC View Post
    I don't recommend playing blue solo. Red guardian is slow enough to level, I can't imagine trying to level a blue one.
    I've been switching from blue to red solo and am at level 25 now. I do blue about 90% of the time. I haven't found it to be slow yet but that's probably because at this level the content is so easy. I'm actually having a blast right now, thinking of making the guardian my main.