We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: New Hobby

New Hobby

I have been saying this for years, but I hope Standing Stone will hear me since neither WB or Turbine did. Add beekeeping as a hobby and harvesting honey from your hives. As a beekeeper in RL I would really enjoy this.

Thumbs up

Run around looking for honey? It's not something I would like for my own characters, but I do look out for fish related products in the Auction House. They already have honey related foods, however, so this might take more brainpower than SSG has cash for. I'd like something like this in the game, because there is an overly technical, crude and brutal mindset in the game, rather than a balanced blend of form and culture more prevalent in ages past, but that's the way of most things, I suppose.
    There is no hope, and unsteady goes the boat, the captain's orders are queer, the minds of his followers dulling and drear.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjedi View Post
    I have been saying this for years, but I hope Standing Stone will hear me since neither WB or Turbine did. Add beekeeping as a hobby and harvesting honey from your hives. As a beekeeper in RL I would really enjoy this.
    Awwwwww. I would like this too. I kept bees once in my distant youth, and grew to understand the truth of the old joke: "What would you do if you won a million dollars in the lottery?" "Well, I'd keep bees until the money ran out."

But Turbine > SSG's experience, beginning in 1998 with Asheron's Call, has been that their players don't spend enough time on hobbies to make them pay for the cost of developing them. The one exception is fishing, which has received a minimum of player attention only because it has been tied into a number of landscape, reputation-related quests. And it's unlike real-world fishing, in which (essentially) you drop your hook into the water and sit around half-dozing till you feel the line twitch in your hands, because something just bit on it. In-game fishing involves standing there watching the line till it wiggles, and then hitting a button, quick. I have seen many players complain on these foums about being forced, periodically, to fish.

So SSG would have to spend valuable dev time on beekeeping, and then watch as either nobody kept bees or people had to keep bees for reputation or something, and complained about it.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

There is a bee hive you can get from the Bingo Boffin quest line that you can harvest honey from once every 24 hours. I know this isn't what you were really wanting, but I thought I'd let you know about it anyways.