We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Opinions please - how do the following classes solo in Mordor?

Since the rebalancing I am trying to decide what class would be least painful to level through Mordor next to get to the dailies.

Likely possibilities are captain, burglar, champion and minstrel.

Guardian and warden not mentioned because I don't feel a need to have a tank class at 115. LM and hunter not mentioned because I have gotten each through Mordor a few times. Beorning not mentioned because it is due for a big change - I will wait. RK not mentioned because I find how it flips between healing and dps annoying.

I understand that minstrel and captain may have dps so low that it is painful for them there even in red line. This may or may not be true. Champion just got a boost - burglar hasn't been touched yet. I am not sure which is stronger now.

Thanks.

I ran a burglar through Mordor and it was great fun!

It's like that place was made for burgs.
    Stealth is very effective and running around on your warsteed (with the orc-disguise) is very speedy.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by istvana View Post
    Since the rebalancing I am trying to decide what class would be least painful to level through Mordor next to get to the dailies.

Guardian and warden not mentioned because I don't feel a need to have a tank class at 115. LM and hunter not mentioned because I have gotten each through Mordor a few times. Beorning not mentioned because it is due for a big change - I will wait. RK not mentioned because I find how it flips between healing and dps annoying.

I understand that minstrel and captain may have dps so low that it is painful for them there even in red line. This may or may not be true. Champion just got a boost - burglar hasn't been touched yet. I am not sure which is stronger now.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I ran a burglar through Mordor and it was great fun!

It's like that place was made for burgs.
    Stealth is very effective and running around on your warsteed (with the orc-disguise) is very speedy.
    Avoiding things is fine but if struggle to kill anything won't help much. We will have to wait and see. Usually im my opinion all balance patches seem to simply turn the table and not really balance anything. The players that have QQ'ed how other classes or other faction (freep or creep) than theirs have been OP, usually gets their class boosted, while others gets totally NERFED. Then we all have to live with that for months or even years before the next so called "balance" patch simply turns the tables again. To me it often seems that so called "balance" patches turn out to be more like revenge or pay-back patches, even if that was not the intention. It seems we always end up on one far side of the extreme in a spectrum. Never real balance.

There has been alot of complaints from some about Hunter and Minstrel being OP, especially in Ettens, as well as champions being too weak and look what we now have after the so called "balance" patch. Champs are really strong now, while hunters and minstrels have been hit with the nerf stick. Just to mention a few examples. I remember when burglars was so nerfed back in the days that they were a joke to play, that was in response to them being called OP back in old Etten days. Then after years of being rubbish, they finally got boosted and very nice to play again. So I guess now they will be NERFED again. The cycle just continues.

Thanks.
    Runekeepers don't really flip between dps and healing. You are one or the other. In dps your heals won't be good and to stand still to use them will probably result in more damage and death. Just nuke and try to spread the dots if multiple mobs, a dead mob is no threat and use Self motivation. Jfi.

All melee chars saw weapon damage up by 2x to 2.5x.

IMHO

Burglar is fun and easy except for some parts of dor amarth with the undead killing stealth.

Minstrel is doable with run&gun technique, a vanguard rune of enchantment on main hand, and the feign death legacy such that you have 30 seconds between feign death. Use it. Kill one, escape if necessary.

Champ is fine with increased dps as long as you are very careful to not overpull until you get end game armor/jewelry. Pulling 4+ in udun will probably get you killed.

Captain is just a slow slog. Go in over level by 2 or 3. Pet is useless except as decoy. Can't even damage mobs more than they self heal.

as a minnie just watch your pulls....avoid more than 1 mob fights as much as possible...i admit it's tougher now with out landscape LoE gear but get some quick as possible it makes a difference. also as finesse didnt matter much before mordor, it does now. hope it helps.
    just a reminder... anything playable, doable, and actionable, may be considered an exploit and the ban-hammer may be authorized at any and all moments.

Captain is as exciting as watching paint dry but more hazardous.
    Burglar is quite fun but unless you have fairly good gear mob dps will overmatch your rather useless self heals, although to be fair I have not tried yellow line. Blue seems more survivable than red but beware the number of mobs that simply bounce your skills or see through your sneak (and follow you in HIPS)
    TBH it is (anathema) worth grinding at the warg pens for a bit to gain a couple of levels or more. The green light gear isnt useless, but its a fair approximation to same to start with if you are solo. Make sure you get the pocket from the Epic asap.
    Mithithil Ithryndi

I would say the Burglar was easier based on my 'solo' experience of running both a burg and champ through Mordor. However, with the recent update the champ will be easier than it was a few months ago. In places like Barad Dur, Naerband & Nagroth the burg has a bit more trouble mainly because you won't be able to sneak past the flame dudes or Cargul's for example. But other than that I had little problem with the burg and was able to do the majority of quests quicker than a champ.

I'd suggest blue line burg or a yellow champ - although I still use Red for both when doing easy/rote quests. The champ in yellow line right now (except for delay issues) is awesomely powerful. However, with stuns and tricks the burg is easily as survivable or more than a champ. Burgs just don't have the AoE firepower of a champ.

I sorta view them as opposites in the melee world - champ is messy usually kills everything in sight(range), whereas burg is tidy and only kills what is needed. If you just want to knock down quests to get to allegiance dailies I'd probably choose the burg since it's less fighting over the same ground you've been over before.
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"

Good replies - many thanks.

Thanks.

Since you mentioned "least painful," and also given that you've run 2 classes through it, I would recommend burg. You can use your hunter to give your burg gear since they're both agi classes. Being able to avoid encounters is great, especially in places like Naerband where the layout, quests, backtracking, and combat is tedious. Burg is also great for the faction grind at the Fushaum Bal. The main drawback of a burg is lack of AOE skills, making slayer deeds quite painful. But, I think the pros outweigh the cons by a fair margin.

I am persuaded - I've been toying with other classes for a while but never able to tear myself away from hunter and LM. The class balancing has torn me away from hunter so its time for a burglar (maybe minstrel and captain also if there is a sale on the 50-105 Valar - might as well use up my LP I have nothing else I particularly need).