We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: New warden

New warden

I'm trying to find information to build a mostly solo warden. It seems most of the sites I've tried are outdated. I have played and still do a hunter (main) champ & mini all are lvl cap. I tried playing a warden around five years ago but must of had trouble so I stopped and went back to my main. They seem like a interesting class so I would very much like to learn. If anyone can give me advice on the best trait line for solo. Does race matter? How to learn the gambit system? I know there has been some changes since update 22.2.2 so there probably isn't many warden sites written let. Thanks for your help

Some of this I posted on your other thread.

I normally use red line for solo questing. Blue Line is also fine, some areas may require it at times if you are going to do them on level.

Main stat is Agility, and might/vitality are both solid for wardens as well.

Gambits are interesting while you level. For some reason, wardens get some of the good 4 and 5 panel gambits at level 17, before they get the 3 panel ones. As well as gambit masteries at level 20. It makes learning rotations a little weird if its your first time leveling a warden, that is if things don't die after the first few gambits.

I suggest playing through the early zones and focus on learning what the gambits do before going for any rotations. There are a good number of gambits that you will use, so it is important to know what each one does. Once you have good knowledge of the gambits you can start using masteries and other tricks to do gambits faster.

Race shouldn't really matter, unless you are trying to min max.

As far as I know, the warden didn't really change much class wise from update 22.2, at least not enough to rewrite any guides. The ones out there should still be good enough to get some information from.

I agree with the person above. Emphasis goes to using masteries to build gambits. On the lotro wiki it says you get them at level 21, which is fairly early, and that's good!

alright quickly refreshing your memories on what masteries are. They are these skills that adds 2 gambit icons at once, ie. "spear and shield" will add, spear and shield icon to your gambit bar etc.

using masteries is the core gameplay of the warden class. you need to familiarize yourself with using them before you worry about rotations etc. since you'll be getting 9 masteries, aka 9 more buttons/skills simultaneously, the entire experience can be overwhelming. At level 21, there aren't too many gambits too remember, but I would suggest trying to divide the set of gambits and trying to remember each set 1 at a time, for example, trying to remember all the spear gambits first, then shield gambits, then fist gambits. When you use masteries to build gambit, it's best if you figure out the combination on your own as it will help you remember it better.

Another thing is set the masteries up on your skill bar for easy access. I use a set up where I bind my masteries to keys close to wasd, ie. R T Y F G V B etc, so I can access them easily and quickly. set up what works for you.

edit: since skills are added passively, I'm not sure if it's the case for gambits. This could be tricky because you won't know when you unlocked a new gambit. I recommend going to lotro wiki to look at the level at which you gain a certain gambit.

Another thing you will need to pay attention to are your traits, for ideas on different builds - Bearded Minstrels' Trait Planner
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Regarding traits, the recent trait reset gave me the opportunity to re-examine what I was selecting.

I'm a lvl 60 warden doing content for the first time (so I'm not skipping quests/zones). Because of holiday and craft xp, I usually outlevel the mobs I fight by 5-10 levels.

Before, I just followed cookie-cutter trait advice online, which pretty much meant Red line focusing on bleed buffs. However, I began to suspect that I wasn't getting much benefit from those buffs since mobs would die after only 3-4 gambits.

Now that I had to reset my traits, I went the totally opposite way, and selected all the direct damage buffs rather than bleed buffs to go down the red line. My goal is to minimize my fight time to speed up questing. I haven't done any profiling of either build.

Any thoughts from more experienced Wardens on traits for mid-level leveling?

Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Regarding traits, the recent trait reset gave me the opportunity to re-examine what I was selecting.

I'm a lvl 60 warden doing content for the first time (so I'm not skipping quests/zones). Because of holiday and craft xp, I usually outlevel the mobs I fight by 5-10 levels.

Before, I just followed cookie-cutter trait advice online, which pretty much meant Red line focusing on bleed buffs. However, I began to suspect that I wasn't getting much benefit from those buffs since mobs would die after only 3-4 gambits.

Now that I had to reset my traits, I went the totally opposite way, and selected all the direct damage buffs rather than bleed buffs to go down the red line. My goal is to minimize my fight time to speed up questing. I haven't done any profiling of either build.

Any thoughts from more experienced Wardens on traits for mid-level leveling?
    sounds like you're doing fine. I'd still invest points in bleed dmg, light dot dmg, and dot critical chance, but it seems like you don't need extra dot pulses so you can prioritize the +mastery trait and +spear gambit dmg trait. However, at level 60 you should have about 30 points? that's actually enough that you can still trait +2 dmg over time pulses, even if you prioritize direct damage.

you're approaching the point when red is running out of useful traits. You only need about 36 points invested into red line for all the bleed dmg and some direct dmg traits. everything else in red line is completely useless, so you should be looking at investing all the remaining points after 36 into the blue line.