We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Trait trees was introduced at Rohan Expansion or Helm's Deep. It's been so long I've forgotten which of the 2, pretty sure it was when 75 cap came out because I started to talk about how this is going to change the burg from being a jack-of-all-trades to streamlined support vs dps nonsense.

    Burgs used to be able to tank 3 mans + 6 mans back in the day. Let's take a second to look at how ":diverse:" burgs are now.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Do you mean trait lines? Cause we def did have traits in SOA. Trait Lines did come with Moria.
    Indeed. Quite the blunder on my side. I did mean the distinction between red blue and yellow.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,283
    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCommunity View Post
    Trait trees was introduced at Rohan Expansion or Helm's Deep. It's been so long I've forgotten which of the 2, pretty sure it was when 75 cap came out because I started to talk about how this is going to change the burg from being a jack-of-all-trades to streamlined support vs dps nonsense.

    Burgs used to be able to tank 3 mans + 6 mans back in the day. Let's take a second to look at how ":diverse:" burgs are now.

    Trait points were introduced with Helm Deep, levl 85. Agreed that their message of trait trees allowing for more exciting customization did exactly the opposite.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Posts
    1,495

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCommunity View Post
    Trait trees was introduced at Rohan Expansion or Helm's Deep. It's been so long I've forgotten which of the 2, pretty sure it was when 75 cap came out because I started to talk about how this is going to change the burg from being a jack-of-all-trades to streamlined support vs dps nonsense.

    Burgs used to be able to tank 3 mans + 6 mans back in the day. Let's take a second to look at how ":diverse:" burgs are now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Trait points were introduced with Helm Deep, levl 85. Agreed that their message of trait trees allowing for more exciting customization did exactly the opposite.
    Exactly. Burglars used to be alot more fun and use very diverse gameplay even under the "one" trait set-up we had back then. Now You have to chose one tree and sprinkle some into the others but each one is pretty boring to be honest. Sure there might be more "diversity" between two players using different trait lines but definetly not more "diversity" on the go for Yourself. Burglars went form fun to very potent still but boring as...well You get the picture... The opposite could be said about hunters. They used to be very boring and very similar to todays red line, while blue line introduced some fun, as did the trap line. However with those lines now being NERFED it's back to basically playing as red boring, stale and static (like in old days) to be competetitive, so don't really see the need for 3 trait trees anymore on hunters either.

  5. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Exactly. Burglars used to be alot more fun and use very diverse gameplay even under the "one" trait set-up we had back then. Now You have to chose one tree and sprinkle some into the others but each one is pretty boring to be honest. Sure there might be more "diversity" between two players using different trait lines but definetly not more "diversity" on the go for Yourself. Burglars went form fun to very potent still but boring as...well You get the picture... The opposite could be said about hunters. They used to be very boring and very similar to todays red line, while blue line introduced some fun, as did the trap line. However with those lines now being NERFED it's back to basically playing as red boring, stale and static (like in old days) to be competetitive, so don't really see the need for 3 trait trees anymore on hunters either.
    I play blue and will not change to red because of dps. But I don't raid.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    But the game has instances from lvl 20 on. The problem is not the game but players who don't stick around to group with others. It's players who rush to end game to group there instead of staying on lvl 20 for example and grouping there with likeminded players. For lvl 20 the lvl 20 instances have rewards.
    You might want to think a little more about why this is the case.

    Given a game has 50 levels, 5 instance clusters and 5000 players. How many players will it take to get the same group play activity if the game increases to 100 levels and 10 instance clusters?
    Given a game has 50 levels and 10 areas. How will group play on landscape evolve if there are 20 areas?
    The only way to keep group activity *constant* is to increase the player number with every level cap increase and/or content addition. I don't see that happening.

    As long as we get new content, population density per content/level will decrease if player numbers do not increase by the same amount.

    Now, if we had a game that gives experience and level by just playing it and we had an equal distribution of players per level, what will happen? People level all the time, which means that characters arrive at cap and could potentially stay there for a while. At that very moment population below cap is suffering, as a char has been removed from low level game and a peak at cap population occured. If we want to keep up constant population distribution, we need to oblige the players to immediately stop playing that character and start a new one.

    So your idea that players "rush to end game" is like complaining that a dropped stone "rushes to ground" due to gravity.

    The idea of "likeminded" players that stay at L20 is honorable, but it is players spending effort to overcome the game system. In fact even paying LP to stop the natural leveling progress of a char (and to have char slots), trying to synchronize with other players. This is not an MMO situation, but similar to old school network games before 2000. We set a date, prepare our computers and meet at one house, fight the network drivers and other problems, go and fetch a few missing cables and finally play all night, because the effort should really be worth it and the next session is months away.
    MMOs changed that by reducing the effort. Well, for some time.
    Last edited by thinx; Jun 15 2018 at 08:54 AM.

  7. #32
    I won't argue about the pros and cons between before and after trait trees were introduced, I will just say that before trait trees an awful lot more of my friends played lotro, since trait trees nearly all of them have quit this game. And in all honesty if lotro had had trait trees like we have now back when I started playing then I would probably not have gotten hooked on this game in the first place.

  8. #33
    Exactly. Burglars used to be alot more fun and use very diverse gameplay even under the "one" trait set-up we had back then. Now You have to chose one tree and sprinkle some into the others but each one is pretty boring to be honest. Sure there might be more "diversity" between two players using different trait lines but definetly not more "diversity" on the go for Yourself. Burglars went form fun to very potent still but boring as...well You get the picture... The opposite could be said about hunters. They used to be very boring and very similar to todays red line, while blue line introduced some fun, as did the trap line. However with those lines now being NERFED it's back to basically playing as red boring, stale and static (like in old days) to be competetitive, so don't really see the need for 3 trait trees anymore on hunters either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammadryad View Post
    I won't argue about the pros and cons between before and after trait trees were introduced, I will just say that before trait trees an awful lot more of my friends played lotro, since trait trees nearly all of them have quit this game. And in all honesty if lotro had had trait trees like we have now back when I started playing then I would probably not have gotten hooked on this game in the first place.
    so true unfortunately. IMHO trait trees killed the fun of gameplay of severall classes

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload