We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

The future of t2c Scaled Instances can be bright.

This thread summarises my personal opinion on t2c scaled instances and a couple of suggestions on how to make them really worth running.

I'll start by saying that the recent challenge featured instance addition is a great step for whoever is interested in t2c content.
    The grind is not bad at all , 5 coins per run , 20 per armour piece , 20 per pet , 25 for mount.
    People on evernight already do multiple runs per day , now that Bells is the featured instance!
    I won't comment on the new vendor loot itself , as i realise this is a test thing for SSG and feedback will define whether to continue featured challenges in the future or shut them down.
    ( If you need further proof on the test part , check the max level on the gear - 119 , meaning it's going to last 2.5 months until U23 )

If you include court of seregost and dungeons of naerband , Lotro has over 40 scaled instances available , which can and should be used in future level caps as worth running content to provide the game with more end-game duration.
    In short , provide people in end-game with MANY things to do , while using already developed content with minimal extra work.
    That was the initial purpose behind scaling after all right ?

Problem is , unless you run the featured challenge instance , the loot in scaled instances is outdated and mostly obsolete:
    a)Some low ixp runes , like 50k or so , while mordor instances award ~ half a million runes.
    b)Relics that no one on level cap uses/needs anymore. ( very limited exceptions ) Only real use is sending to lower level alts. Even shard system has become mostly pointless...
    c)Outdated armour pieces , of which only a few were actually useful on mordor launch and lasted very shortly.
    Assuming next level cap will include new decent shields ( unlike mordor launch ) and have better stat contributions , like finesse on will gear etc , those gear drops will be obsolete.

I have 2 suggestions to make.

1) Add a Meta deed for completing all scaled instances.
    Split the meta deed into 3 parts : complete 3mans , 6mans and raids on challenge mode , on level , starting with U23 and level 120.
    For completing the entire meta deed ( it's going to take a while ^^ ) ,
    add a total reward of 3 boxes ( 1 per lesser deed ) including bound to character AND unique 3-set jewellery items : 1 earring , 1 bracelet and 1 ring.
    Give those 3 jewellery a high item level bonus , something similar to ilvl 340 on Mordor standards ( newest raid gear is 345 ).
    You can add a 2-set bonus for people that are only willing to complete t2c 3mans and 6mans deeds ( and not raids ).
    As a 3-set bonus , i'd like to ask for something special , it can be utility or it can be combat bonus , i am fine with either , as long as it's unique and makes you feel proud you got it through good old instanced content.
    There will be 0 RNG involved , just pure team effort and in some scaled instance cases , a really decent ammount of skill and teamwork involved.

The reason i suggested earring , bracelet and ring as candidates is because we can wear 2 of each , and thus , adding a unique alternative won't allow the players to completely bypass newest on-level instanced content for best-in-slot end-game gearing.

You can repeat this process for every future level cap , with the same jewels , only scaled further.

2) Scale and bring back the revered gold items from Riders of Rohan.
    Examples :
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...en%27s_Earring
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...rel%27s_Gloves
    Add them on the challenge chests on a very low drop chance , similar to as it was back in RoR.
    Ideally on a box to pick the item you need , for a class of your choosing. ( Bound to account )

Thoughts...?
    Is it just me that finds the idea number 1 so great ? T_T
    I came up with it while drunk -_-
    Last edited by Kazabooboo; Jun 12 2018 at 07:53 PM.

Incentives are generally good, and that's what SSG is doing with featured instances and now featured challenges. Now, incentives are not good when they're not reasonably accessible and make players feel like they need to jump through hoops to get something.
    Methinks you're overthinking it with the details of your suggestion. A metadeed of 40 plus instances on level to get a couple pieces of jewelry is not a reasonable incentive. You'd need highly organized groups that know the mechanics of all those instances running them for weeks to get somewhere, if I understood correctly.

Plus, that kind of hurdle goes against what SSG is trying to do, it seems. People may dislike the ash system, but the idea is to let players have more options to complete their gear set, and not corral them through one path. If the implementation is the best possible, that's another subject.

TL;DR: good principles, details too convoluted. Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by Heimwald View Post
    Incentives are generally good, and that's what SSG is doing with featured instances and now featured challenges. Now, incentives are not good when they're not reasonably accessible and make players feel like they need to jump through hoops to get something.
    Methinks you're overthinking it with the details of your suggestion. A metadeed of 40 plus instances on level to get a couple pieces of jewelry is not a reasonable incentive. You'd need highly organized groups that know the mechanics of all those instances running them for weeks to get somewhere, if I understood correctly.
    Well , assuming the imaginary meta deed activates when U23 hits live ( level 120 ) and the jewellery are worth slotting until the next level cap ( level 125 or so ) , we would have a lot of time to complete it.
    For example , in the case of 3mans , you'd need 1 succesful t2c completion on 14 different scaled 3man instances to get your first jewel.
    So that's 1 jewel , ie earring , gauranteed and without RNG or fellowship rolls , after 14 succesful runs.
    The hilt of earnil required far more runs, grinding Silent Street over and over again back on 105 depending on how the RNG gods treated you.
    The effort honestly doesn't seem that long if you look at it that way , but then again , yeah , i did say i was drunk when i came up with it ^^

Also , the new featured challenges , is a nice extra helping hand to start ticking things off the long list.
    Assuming a player took the slow path of only doing the featured challenge quest once a week , around half of the list would be done without any extra effort before the new level cap arrives , depending on how quickly they swapped featured instance rotations ofc.

It just seems easier to me than reworking the entire scaled instance loot system eventually...
    The instances will be worth running with only 3 deeds , summing up to 1 meta , and 3 jewellery.
    Much faster than reworking the loot of 40+ instances and it's a mechanic they could recycle on every future level cap without any extra effort.

It will give people with something extra to do on end-game , while giving new players the chance to see some really great instances that barely anyone runs anymore.
    Especially on t2c.
    Last edited by Kazabooboo; Jun 13 2018 at 01:38 AM.

A better idea would be to just add incentives to ALL scaled t2c instances, regardless of whether they are the featured instance or not. That way people would run them, whenever they can, not wait for 6 weeks until it's hitting the right spot on a rotation. IMO, the whole once per day thing has bitten a big chunk out of the fun, and causes problems for people who struggle to find groups. Nothing worse than logging in later in the day, wanting to run x instance, but because only one is actually worth running, once a day, most of the server have already done it while you were sleeping.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Pieces costs maybe 10 too much imo, but still I hope they have this from ground up on next level cap with cap t1 box dropping another currency for weaker armor. Rotation should also change twice per week.

However they really need to fix scaling. These instances are just laughable in terms of damage for most parts. Tanks dont even need healing and only thing that needs healing is healers himself and dps getting random aggro hits if you dont have captain... Also morale pools are just joke on these older instances. 8-9 mil morale on level 115 is just lol. I just wished they could take quick look into generic scaling of these instances just to make damage and morale pools relevant. I know effects are badly scaled as well but fixing those will take weeks of work, while I feel generic increase for these instances would be quickly handled.

As an example. My guardian can pull 60 mobs in seat of the great goblin t2 and tank them all without dying till my gear breaks after 10 minutes or so. Or in bells of dale first boss, sure never was even remotely challenging timer but now even one player can kill it within few minutes and theres good 8-9 minutes left on enrage...

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Or in bells of dale first boss, sure never was even remotely challenging timer but now even one player can kill it within few minutes and theres good 8-9 minutes left on enrage...
    I remember the first boss in Bells of Dale being a fun little challenge (if the healer was slacking) back when it first came out--especially with the ranged mobs coming from the bridge and street corners applying lethal, dots etc. But you're right, now it's laughable.

I would prefer LotRO actually got rid of "scalable instances" and just keep the dungeons at their original level and have the player scale down. While you would still be a bit OP, at least the essence of the dungeon (and the majority of the mechanics) would stay intact. I assume they won't ever do this because it will only highlight the very real lack of continuous end-game group content in the game.