We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rune-Keeper exhausted from Mordor and at wits end

I’m a level 115 Runekeeper and I’ve been in Mordor now for about 2-3 months. I’m in the middle of Talath Urui, and I’m thinking that I’m at the point where I’ve exhausted all my resources in trying to quest here and survive. I die anywhere from 2-5 times a night, and I’m just defeated and exhausted from it all. I don’t know what else to do to make things better, and the game seems to be designed with a Catch-22 scenario which blocks me from gaining any better gear to help.

I knew Mordor was going to be hard, so I tried to prepare myself as best I could. I played the game from 2009-2011, and then returned in 2016. I finally made it to Mordor around Dec 2017, but instead of entering Mordor I spent many months trying to work on my virtues, trying to gain as many trait points as I could, imbueing one legendary weapon (I don’t have an imbued class item yet, but I am working on that too) and trying to level that one weapon (it’s about half way there now.) I also saved mathom boxes for 2 years, so that when I entered Mordor I had a full set of teal/yellow level 107 Mathom gear. I saved every single buff item from my hobbit boxes as well, until I had a small collection of scrolls of morale and power, damage scrolls, defense scrolls, finesse scrolls, and soldier landscape tokens. I had my cook make top tier food.

I’m supposed to be getting Light of Earendil items to survive the penalties here, but the quest rewards were not giving me enough to reach neutral state in the areas where I was questing, even after having completed just about every quest in the area before moving on.

In desperation, I took some time off to craft what I could in jewelry to help, but that still only boosted me a tiny bit. (And due to the long cooldowns this whole process took several weeks.)

I got very lucky, and with that one black steel key we were gifted with for free some months back, I was able to open one Gorgoroth strongbox, which gave me a nice ring and enough ash for 4 level 112 pieces. This finally brought me to 144 light.

I’m unsure how players are supposed to gain enough light otherwise, since ash only comes if you deconstruct quest rewards and then you only receive 10 ash at a time! It is simply not enough. I understand that you can gain ash from completing dailies, but you can’t access the dailies without completing all of Mordor…and I can’t complete Mordor because I could probably use better gear/more ash. Hence the Catch-22 scenario.

(I now have enough light for the area I’m in at the moment, but I don’t know how much longer that will last, or how future chars will manage without access to ash upon arriving to Mordor.)

My frustration level has reached its peak. I’m surprised that even after so many months of prep work I still struggle in Mordor. There’s only so many months of grinding I can tolerate and I did my best before entering. Should I have grinded even longer? Is that even a reasonable expectation to ask? I wonder if the devs realize that not everyone has characters sitting at level cap in maxed gear and with maxed weapons. Some people arrive at Mordor in the quest gear they had on from Gondor with brand spanking new imbued items.

I join up with others when possible, but most of the time I am alone. Finding others who are on the exact same quests and stages as me is very difficult.

I’m using every skill I have to the best of my ability. My skills are no longer as effective as they used to be however (Armor of the Elements rarely stuns mobs in Mordor and that was a major function that I used to count on to keep me alive.) Last night in Naerband I was chain silenced by two elites (these elites always come in pairs), unable to use any skills until I died. I’ve considered retraiting but I’m unsure if another point arrangement will help. I am currently red line with any extra points in blue.

I don’t want to give up but I’m starting to think that beating my head against a wall just isn’t practical anymore. Maybe I should wait until the level cap rises again and hope I can complete it then?

What else is left for me to do? I feel so discouraged.

The "good" news is that Talath Urui is as bad as it gets. Agarnaith is a fair bit easier. Many folks say you should stock up on finesse to not get a bunch of avoided attacks. I got through with zero finesse or close to it, but maybe you'll find that helpful. You might want to craft a light essence as well.

I started Mordor (as a LM) with pretty decent 105 gear and just picked up quest gear as I went along. I got enough ash along the way to get one piece of 112 gear when I arrived in Talath Urui. That was enough to never have more than 10 shadow for any significant time, which was good enough for me. I don't know RK so I can't give specific tips there. If you're getting chain silenced, keep those fear pots handy.

My advise is to finish the Black Book of Mordor and go to N Mirkwood. Just follow the Black Book there. You get good gear with LoE. I did most of Mordor on my RK with a friend but couldn't finish the Naerband solo. That finished Mordor for me. Erebor quest after BB are the easiest to do and then go backwards. There are solo onlys but they are not blocking the complete zone. I don't know if the better gear will help you through TU but at least N Mirkwood is friendlier.

I didn't see any notes about Allegiance...

Have you tried to do any of the Allegiance quests?... Some good gear available from that.
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Question

I have a Lvl 115 Hunter with nice gear ( around nearly 200 Light ) and i mostly die never in Mordor but you know what ? The hole Quest Design in Mordor makes me sick because its clear to see that it was completly build for the Shop.

Your best Way is to simply lvl to 115 outside of it and than buy the 115 Gear in the AH. Or go to NM because yes i think the Quest Design in NM is way better. Mordor was build imo because SSG needed some real Cash fast. And it shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    The "good" news is that Talath Urui is as bad as it gets. Agarnaith is a fair bit easier. Many folks say you should stock up on finesse to not get a bunch of avoided attacks. I got through with zero finesse or close to it, but maybe you'll find that helpful. You might want to craft a light essence as well.

I started Mordor (as a LM) with pretty decent 105 gear and just picked up quest gear as I went along. I got enough ash along the way to get one piece of 112 gear when I arrived in Talath Urui. That was enough to never have more than 10 shadow for any significant time, which was good enough for me. I don't know RK so I can't give specific tips there. If you're getting chain silenced, keep those fear pots handy.
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I have put finesse essences in my gear. I have 24,800 finesse now. How much is recommended for Mordor content? And excuse the probably stupid question, but regarding the fear pots, are you saying being silenced is considered a fear debuff and that fear pots should get rid of it? Because I cast my fear/wound/disease/posion cleanse when silenced but it doesn't seem to work...or maybe I'm just getting silenced so quickly again immediately afterwards? Where do I get max level fear pots if I don't have a scholar who can make them?

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    My advise is to finish the Black Book of Mordor and go to N Mirkwood. Just follow the Black Book there. You get good gear with LoE. I did most of Mordor on my RK with a friend but couldn't finish the Naerband solo. That finished Mordor for me. Erebor quest after BB are the easiest to do and then go backwards. There are solo onlys but they are not blocking the complete zone. I don't know if the better gear will help you through TU but at least N Mirkwood is friendlier.
    I really wanted to do things in order, but I'm willing to try this since I seem to be out of options!

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I didn't see any notes about Allegiance...

Have you tried to do any of the Allegiance quests?... Some good gear available from that.
    I discovered the allegiance gear only recently, but it was exactly the same as the gear I had just bought with ash. I also didn't have very many tokens to buy allegiance gear with. Like ash, that too seems to come at a trickle. How do you get more tokens? I'm at level 14 out of 30 with the elves. Gaining rep seems to be slow going, and this is only my first one, so I understand it only gets worse with future rep groups. I see you can gain rep by doing those lost lore quests, but that's also a Catch-22 for me...I can't reach some of the pages without great difficulty, so these quests go mostly uncompleted. I don't really know where else Allegiance rep is supposed to come from.

...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    If it's not dangerous, it's not fun!
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Dimar View Post
    I have a Lvl 115 Hunter with nice gear ( around nearly 200 Light ) and i mostly die never in Mordor but you know what ? The hole Quest Design in Mordor makes me sick because its clear to see that it was completly build for the Shop.

Your best Way is to simply lvl to 115 outside of it and than buy the 115 Gear in the AH. Or go to NM because yes i think the Quest Design in NM is way better. Mordor was build imo because SSG needed some real Cash fast. And it shows.
    It was designed to be balanced experience where fights take longer than 1-3s. First time after SoM they achieved to do this. Now they might take even 15s if you low dps character! For rk my fights were in between 3-8s all the way across mordor. Quite good combat pace and definitely easiest class I played fully through mordor, significantly easier than old guardian for example. Self healing and reduction rock just makes all and any kind of fight total faceroll.

If you have high enough LoE then the issues you face could be because of your: 1) overall low gear stats (especially finesse, critical, mitigation, morale), 2) weak rune stone (not levelled enough for tactical damage rating/legacies), 3) not being careful with mob pulls, 4) poor skill execution. My guess is it's all 4 of them, number 4) being the most critical. Naerband is indeed a hard place to finish but if you are patient and take on mobs slowly enough it is not harder than the rest of Mordor.

I'd suggest you ask for someone to summon you in Court of Seregost entrance so that you are able to join level 105 runs where you can get a decent amount of ashes every day (from 0 to 240 or so). And most important of all try to see what you might be doing wrong with runekeeper gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudCastle View Post
    I discovered the allegiance gear only recently, but it was exactly the same as the gear I had just bought with ash. I also didn't have very many tokens to buy allegiance gear with. Like ash, that too seems to come at a trickle. How do you get more tokens? I'm at level 14 out of 30 with the elves. Gaining rep seems to be slow going, and this is only my first one, so I understand it only gets worse with future rep groups. I see you can gain rep by doing those lost lore quests, but that's also a Catch-22 for me...I can't reach some of the pages without great difficulty, so these quests go mostly uncompleted. I don't really know where else Allegiance rep is supposed to come from.
    You said you crafted your own jewelry, so you have Prospecting. Sacrifice a few Allegiance tokens on your craft's recipe for rep items. It works just like the ones you got from your guild. Unfortunately, it uses Black Adamant Shards, which you'll have to mine... slowly. Regardless, that should boost you along the reputation grind.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I have put finesse essences in my gear. I have 24,800 finesse now. How much is recommended for Mordor content? And excuse the probably stupid question, but regarding the fear pots, are you saying being silenced is considered a fear debuff and that fear pots should get rid of it? Because I cast my fear/wound/disease/posion cleanse when silenced but it doesn't seem to work...or maybe I'm just getting silenced so quickly again immediately afterwards? Where do I get max level fear pots if I don't have a scholar who can make them?
    Look at your combat logs and see how often your skills are being resisted and see if it's causing you problems or not. I believe around 100k finesse should remove virtually all resists for landscape questing. Even 50k would be pretty solid.

Yes, silence should show up in your debuff bar below your portrait. Fear pots should cleanse them. Healer vendors should sell the pots you need. Not sure why your skill isn't working on it though.

Anfalas pots you can buy at a Healer NPC only work up to level 110, so it depends what level mobs are silencing him. And given it's Talath Urui, they'll probably be over 110. Above 110 you need the crafted Doomfold ones.

Orodir and Naerband are the hardest parts of Mordor in my opinion, so good news is that things will get better. I think unfinished LIs are a big part of your problem. Plus long inductions in red line, especially if you get few mobs on you. I made use of stones a lot, placing them beforehand. I had both volcanic and restoration stone. So would start fight placing healing stone near me, so if any unanticipated mob would come along, would first attack my healing stone. And volcanic was placing ranged. Gives you time to execute at least two skills before mobs come into melee. When in ditch, Armour of The Elements to stun mobs.

When you get into Northern Mirkwood, Caras Tilion in particular, bare in mind that Armoured Shadow mobs are reflecting fire damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    You said you crafted your own jewelry, so you have Prospecting. Sacrifice a few Allegiance tokens on your craft's recipe for rep items. It works just like the ones you got from your guild. Unfortunately, it uses Black Adamant Shards, which you'll have to mine... slowly. Regardless, that should boost you along the reputation grind.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll look into getting these recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilan View Post
    Look at your combat logs and see how often your skills are being resisted and see if it's causing you problems or not. I believe around 100k finesse should remove virtually all resists for landscape questing. Even 50k would be pretty solid.

Yes, silence should show up in your debuff bar below your portrait. Fear pots should cleanse them. Healer vendors should sell the pots you need. Not sure why your skill isn't working on it though.
    Ok, it looks like I still need way more finesse. I'm guessing some of my skills are being resisted and that's why old stand bys are feeling so ineffective now compared to in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    Anfalas pots you can buy at a Healer NPC only work up to level 110, so it depends what level mobs are silencing him. And given it's Talath Urui, they'll probably be over 110. Above 110 you need the crafted Doomfold ones.
    The eiltes in Naerband I believe were level 112. My cleanse skill is supposed to work up against level 120 though, so I'll pay more attention next time to see why it also felt so ineffective to me. Since I keep getting silenced multiple times in a row, it sounds like I could really use some fear pots. I hope people sell the Doomfold ones on the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    Orodir and Naerband are the hardest parts of Mordor in my opinion, so good news is that things will get better. I think unfinished LIs are a big part of your problem. Plus long inductions in red line, especially if you get few mobs on you. I made use of stones a lot, placing them beforehand. I had both volcanic and restoration stone. So would start fight placing healing stone near me, so if any unanticipated mob would come along, would first attack my healing stone. And volcanic was placing ranged. Gives you time to execute at least two skills before mobs come into melee. When in ditch, Armour of The Elements to stun mobs.

When you get into Northern Mirkwood, Caras Tilion in particular, bare in mind that Armoured Shadow mobs are reflecting fire damage.
    I left Naerband behind and moved on into Argonaith, and it did indeed get noticably easier! I do have both the volcanic rune and the restoration rune and I use them frequently. The mobs tear through them pretty quickly, but it buys me a few seconds at least. I love Armor of the Elements, but in Naerband it seemed to suddenly stop working and the mobs weren't getting stunned anymore. I assume they are resisting it?

I've been trying to group up with a partner whenever possible. That makes things much easier and more tolerable. Anyone coming upon Mordor who is fresh from questing and who hasn't spent months at level cap though is in for a tough time and very long grind just to get up to speed with their peers.

I left Naerband behind and moved on into Argonaith, and it did indeed get noticably easier! I do have both the volcanic rune and the restoration rune and I use them frequently. The mobs tear through them pretty quickly, but it buys me a few seconds at least. I love Armor of the Elements, but in Naerband it seemed to suddenly stop working and the mobs weren't getting stunned anymore. I assume they are resisting it?

I've been trying to group up with a partner whenever possible. That makes things much easier and more tolerable. Anyone coming upon Mordor who is fresh from questing and who hasn't spent months at level cap though is in for a tough time and very long grind just to get up to speed with their peers.
    Aha, you might need more finesse. 20% was enough for me. And as I said before, to finish your LIs. If you are on Laurelin, I can help you out with it. Got few stacks of scrolls and crystals also... I rather gift to those who need it than to sell. And since you are deep into Mordor, can also barter tokens for new relics.

Glad you fined leveling buddy, makes things easier but also more fun with a friend around

My guard had a miserable time here as well. I was there before the update that recently buffed the class - took 45 seconds to a minute to kill a normal mob. Whilst i could survive, it could take 2 hours to fight my way through the bigger dungeons/orc camps to a quest objective and back, sometimes my gear broke right before the end and i had to use a store perk to repair. I'd be almost constantly in combat due to respawns and not be able to pee.

Are you doing daily lvl 105 CoS runs for star lit crystals? They are easy, but mind numbing, and when you complete that grind your dps will double. You also get ash drops from it . Ash drop rate from landscape quests is a joke. You get one 10 ash item per chain / group of quests completed - a miserable effort reward ratio. Gets much better when you finally unlock the dailies.

It is worth having crafting alts levelled up. The landscape quests do give 3 signets of thandrim each, which can be used to barter recipies (purple ones that can be used over and over and dont require a shard). So long as you are level 115 and can wear them, they have ok stats.

After Talath Urui, Agarnaith is like the garden of Eden..
    Elf females - Nemulias (grd) Arenor (min - retired)
    Men - Farrowden (Champ), Rhoswith (lm), Manorborn (cpt)
    In Training : Snorlin (rk)
    Tankstrels RIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQv83k6arY

So its (on top of certain other issue) traiting issue. No rk should ever go deep into blue while dps. Always red yellow hybrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post

This really got to me. It basically made my red RK useless up there. I was so glad I had a hunter with me when I did these quests.

From what I can gather from speaking to friends & kinnies, it sounds like the complete removal of ash gear landscape drops some time after Mordor's release really made it a lot more difficult for newcomers to gear their character adequately. Landscape drops were removed to prevent the constant farming that took place in the first few weeks after Mordor came out, when it was pretty easy to grind ash just by grouping up and nuking an orc camp over and over, but it also meant that solo players who had relied on landscape drops to supplement their gear suddenly found themselves really struggling to get enough LoE, since I don't think quest rewards were ever adjusted to make up for this removal. My suggestion would be to add a few more basic (green or purple) gear pieces in quest rewards, or possibly a LoE essence or two (I certainly don't think re-instating landscape drops would be a good idea).

As for practical suggestions, as others in this thread have said getting enough finesse is crucial (15-20% should be ok), and I would try and run FI, CoS if you have it unlocked, or whatever other various methods you prefer to grind empowerment scrolls and star-lit crystals to get your LIs as strong as possible (and imbue your class item ASAP!).

On top of that, don't worry - Talath Urui is the hardest it gets, North Mirkwood/Dale-lands is a cakewalk by comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Morellian View Post
    From what I can gather from speaking to friends & kinnies, it sounds like the complete removal of ash gear landscape drops some time after Mordor's release really made it a lot more difficult for newcomers to gear their character adequately. Landscape drops were removed to prevent the constant farming that took place in the first few weeks after Mordor came out, when it was pretty easy to grind ash just by grouping up and nuking an orc camp over and over, but it also meant that solo players who had relied on landscape drops to supplement their gear suddenly found themselves really struggling to get enough LoE, since I don't think quest rewards were ever adjusted to make up for this removal. My suggestion would be to add a few more basic (green or purple) gear pieces in quest rewards, or possibly a LoE essence or two (I certainly don't think re-instating landscape drops would be a good idea).

As for practical suggestions, as others in this thread have said getting enough finesse is crucial (15-20% should be ok), and I would try and run FI, CoS if you have it unlocked, or whatever other various methods you prefer to grind empowerment scrolls and star-lit crystals to get your LIs as strong as possible (and imbue your class item ASAP!).

On top of that, don't worry - Talath Urui is the hardest it gets, North Mirkwood/Dale-lands is a cakewalk by comparison
    Can't agree with this one. I did Mordor before and after such changes. I see no difference. Place where you got most ash item drops were in udun and didn't really help you on later areas (this was confirmed by few other people who actually tested this area in beta and saw same results in live, mainly udun + end game zones) and you weren't guaranteed to get item what you need. In fact usually 1/6-1/8 chance to get item that you can use stat wise divided by 15 usable slots. So I ended up getting just few usable items that were just good on low level zones, because later zones already gave same amount of light per item than random drops so it was moot light increase.

Need of LoE was also highly overstated. I ran constantly with 30-40 shadow on me because using old gear and had no problems.

Also need of finesse is rather overstated. You only get 5-8% resists in landscape with 0 finesse as RK, less if you are other class (minstrel for example just <3%). I documented this while leveling with CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    You need their currency to buy the items which again are not easy to come by while questing.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Can't agree with this one. I did Mordor before and after such changes. I see no difference. Place where you got most ash item drops were in udun and didn't really help you on later areas (this was confirmed by few other people who actually tested this area in beta and saw same results in live, mainly udun + end game zones) and you weren't guaranteed to get item what you need. In fact usually 1/6-1/8 chance to get item that you can use stat wise divided by 15 usable slots. So I ended up getting just few usable items that were just good on low level zones, because later zones already gave same amount of light per item than random drops so it was moot light increase.

Need of LoE was also highly overstated. I ran constantly with 30-40 shadow on me because using old gear and had no problems.

Also need of finesse is rather overstated. You only get 5-8% resists in landscape with 0 finesse as RK, less if you are other class (minstrel for example just <3%). I documented this while leveling with CA.

You know I'm getting kind of tired of your statement "I can do it so their is no problem." You are a very skillful t2c player. It would be very concerning to me if you couldn't do Mordor questing.

I think SSG needs to realize some things before ever doing something like Mordor again.

Not everybody is as skillful as raiders.
    Their ever growing systems are leaving not so good players who just want to enjoy landscape behind. (virtue/traits/ILI)
    Essences shouldn't even be required for quest gear.
    A new zone should be based on minimum gear. And essence gear put minimum gear back to lvl 95 because not every player wants to deal with it or even has the knowledge to make their characters more viable through them.

So its (on top of certain other issue) traiting issue. No rk should ever go deep into blue while dps. Always red yellow hybrid.
    No one mentioned being deep into blue while dps to begin with. The person in question is fully in red with few extra points in blue, which is actually just fine considering that he/she more likely went for Determination (extra Will) and Rune of Restoration. Probably also didn't get all available points just yet.

I am getting tired of comments hinting that someone is ignorant and that being sole excuse and problem for a hard time in Mordor. We are talking here about people that are level 105 to 115... it is simply impossible to get there without having no skills and no class knowledge to some degree at least.

I done it also before and after. Point is not that many were able to get desired drops through farming, people didn't farm for that purpose only in the first place, but mainly to stack up on ash and get first available gear, which was level 112, and then some more.

I had different experience with different classes so kinda lean on thinking that things like LoE and finesse had more impact on some than another. All my alts had maxed weapons and equally good gear. Orodir and Naerband were only place where I had trouble, particularly on captain and rune keeper, while I was breezing through all on my hunter, burg and lore master. Adding some finesse did make a difference for me on rune keeper.

When I sum up everything, I think main problem being legendary weapons. Most people that are having a hard time in Mordor seems to have legendary weapons in a state of progress, half done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast