We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Strange login error

Hope someone can help.

I have recently begun to have problems logging in, when I first start my PC and then load Lotro and enter my password (making certain the Caps lock and number lock are correct), I get a message saying "password incorrect" - even though I am am very careful to type it in correctly.

When I restart my PC and try again, sometimes it works fine, sometimes I need to restart my PC two or three times before the password is accepted by Lotro.

I've made sure the lotro launcher exe file and the lotro progam are allowed through my Norton firewall and antivirus.

Looking for suggestions on what I can do to resolve this - am not too coputer savvy.

Thanks in advance for any help

Try disabling the "start at boot up" option, and manually run the launcher after the PC has finished booting; it might be a file corruption thing.

Also, type in a bit slower; I have noticed that even when I typed the correct password, if I typed it too quickly the old launcher would often say it was wrong.

thank you for taking the time to respond, I've tried both those, the "start at boot-up" was already disabled. Unfortunately to no avail

Quote Originally Posted by Flimmerty View Post
    I get a message saying "password incorrect" - even though I am am very careful to type it in correctly.
    I know this won't be a popular answer, but I'd wager, based upon the description of the problem (password only works intermittently) that this is indeed just a case of typos while typing a complex password. I've experienced this myself and I've seen it happen to others many, many times. You go slow, you are careful, and you still get the password wrong. Sometimes so many times in a row that you worry that your password has changed or you've been "hacked". . . only to have it finally work. Once in a while, this can be a symptom of a failing/dirty/finicky keyboard.

If you'd like to take the guesswork out of it. . . temporarily keep your password in a notepad document. And instead of typing it into the LotRO client, copy and paste it from that notepad document (being careful not to include any blankspace/whitespace). It should work every time. If not, you've proved me wrong.

Another way of working around this. . . you can save your username and password within your LotRO shortcut.

--H
    Installing LotRO -- One Guide to Rule Them All!
    Purchasing LotRO -- Guide to Building Your Own "Lifetime" Account.

Hurin - Thank you!

for not quite the reasons you suggest but I was typing i the password "incorrectly". My password contains a complex mix of letters and characters including @ and ", and in a recent Windows patch the @ and " keys on my keyboard have inexplicably changed places, so although I was being extremely careful typing in my password it was coming out wrong. Cut and paste from notepad though worked fine of course.

What I don't understand now is how to get my keyboard set up correctly and why after a few reboots the " and @ keys revert to the original keyboard set up! But that's probably for another tech forum

Thank you all who responded to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimmerty View Post
    Hurin - Thank you!
    Very welcome!

What I don't understand now is how to get my keyboard set up correctly and why after a few reboots the " and @ keys revert to the original keyboard set up! But that's probably for another tech forum
    That is indeed strange and I have no wisdom to share other than stating that the '@' and '"' key are swapped between US and UK keyboards. . . so your keyboard appears to think it's spontaneously "crossing the pond" as it were.

I was looking at advanced keyboard options in Windows 10. . .

You can specify the language you want used there at the drop-down list. . . and the highlighted area might explain strange, inconsistent behavior. . . but it doesn't quite fit what you've experienced.

Though it seems unlikely, I think the first things I'd try would be a cheap keyboard replacement (or even borrow one). Just to see if the problem goes away. Mostly as a diagnostic.

--H

Actually, a number of people have been turning up on tech help forums and saying their " and @ keys have been swapped over in the last few days; so it may well be a bug* in the latest Win10 updates.

It wasnt always UK people getting US layout though, some of them were US people getting UK layout.

*Que Supré !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Actually, a number of people have been turning up on tech help forums and saying their " and @ keys have been swapped over in the last few days; so it may well be a bug* in the latest Win10 updates.

It wasnt always UK people getting US layout though, some of them were US people getting UK layout.

*Que Supré !!!
    Interesting, please provide a link. The only ones I saw upon googling prior to my last reply were from years back. Nothing recent.

--H

Quote Originally Posted by Hurin View Post
    Interesting, please provide a link. The only ones I saw upon googling prior to my last reply were from years back. Nothing recent.

--H
    There have been several on tomshardware in the past 48 hours, if I can find the threads I will post links.

Problem, they were "BTW", and not the original issue they headlined, so tag searches arent helping; I am having to go back over pages of threads in the hope I recognise one.
    Last edited by Yarbro; Jun 10 2018 at 03:20 PM.

Sods law; because I never posted an answer (someone else got there first), I didnt have a record of which posts they were; I have been back through 10 pages and am giving up; I didnt realise I went through so many posts last night.

My new favourite stupid question is a woman asking if TomsHardware could unlock her Facebook account for her, as she had been banned for spamming.

Damn, I already have a new favourite.

And I quote "I don't have cable only have an attend"

That is the ENTIRE text of the question; solutions anyone??
    Last edited by Yarbro; Jun 10 2018 at 06:50 PM.