We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Do Bubble Skill serve as Damage Gates?

They're terrible and they are ludicrously small, yes yes. That's not what I'm asking.

I'm asking if the 1,600 morale bubble will prevent that single 40,000 damage hit from landing on you as it vaporizes, or does it let 39,400 damage through to your morale?

I can't tell from the in game combat logs. I can't find any discussion addressing this particular issue one way or another as far as my meager google skills are taking me.

Has anyone looked at more precise combat data one way or another to say FOR SURE if our pitiful bubbles at least gate the damage from that one attack that breaks them?
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

Those bubble tooltips are the same as they were at level 75 when the morale pool of a tank was 20-21k at maximum. The damage absorbed is exactly as high as the bubble, nothing tricky going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Despotis View Post
    Those bubble tooltips are the same as they were at level 75 when the morale pool of a tank was 20-21k at maximum. The damage absorbed is exactly as high as the bubble, nothing tricky going on.
    My question is very specific, though. I know how small the bubbles are. My question is whether or not anyone knows for certain if excess damage from the attack that pops them carries through to morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    They're terrible and they are ludicrously small, yes yes. That's not what I'm asking.

I'm asking if the 1,600 morale bubble will prevent that single 40,000 damage hit from landing on you as it vaporizes, or does it let 39,400 damage through to your morale?

I can't tell from the in game combat logs. I can't find any discussion addressing this particular issue one way or another as far as my meager google skills are taking me.

Has anyone looked at more precise combat data one way or another to say FOR SURE if our pitiful bubbles at least gate the damage from that one attack that breaks them?
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!

My answer wa also very specific. You will absorb exactly the amount stated and nothing more. The rest will damage your morale.

Quote Originally Posted by Despotis View Post
    My answer wa also very specific. You will absorb exactly the amount stated and nothing more. The rest will damage your morale.
    OK, thanks. I was needy for extra-explicitness.

Can I ask how you came to know this? Combat-parser plugin or something? My own brief experiments in game didn't give me a clear breakdown of the math.

I see in the regular in-game combat mechanics how much damage an attack does, and then a call-out of when temporary hit-points are lost (i.e. damage to bubble). But, it doesn't tell me how much damage if any goes to morale after that loss of temporary HP.

OK, thanks. I was needy for extra-explicitness.

Can I ask how you came to know this? Combat-parser plugin or something? My own brief experiments in game didn't give me a clear breakdown of the math.

I see in the regular in-game combat mechanics how much damage an attack does, and then a call-out of when temporary hit-points are lost (i.e. damage to bubble). But, it doesn't tell me how much damage if any goes to morale after that loss of temporary HP.

Bubbles are just temporary morale. Assuming that they somehow offer some mitigation is a bit of a weird hypothesis, not sure how you came to it.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post

Bubbles are just temporary morale. Assuming that they somehow offer some mitigation is a bit of a weird hypothesis, not sure how you came to it.
    Well because it would be a good and sensible design if the bubble didn't pass through excess damage from the attack that depletes it.

Thanks for this screenshot because it's mostly conclusive. The fact that the text passes these reports partially out of order ime leaves a hint of ambiguity still. But indeed, apparently, Laugshat attacked you only once after applying your bubble. That bubble absorbed whatever, and you were killed anyway meaning the rest of the attack passed through.

Somehow Vadok landed a hit on you after you were defeated.

But thank you, this satisfies my curiosity... enough.

Well because it would be a good and sensible design if the bubble didn't pass through excess damage from the attack that depletes it.

Not really. When bubbles initially were in this game they offered fairly noticeable chunks of temporary health. Damage gating would have been a step too far back then.
    ~ I tank with a Beorning, my opinion is invalid. ~

Quote Originally Posted by Joedangod View Post
    Not really. When bubbles initially were in this game they offered fairly noticeable chunks of temporary health. Damage gating would have been a step too far back then.
    Word.

I just let my reckless optimism sweep me off my feet.