We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    Really?
    Err... we're talking about the difference between modern varieties and *traditional* ones, not wild ones. Your thinking here is messed up because in this case modern varieties would be anachronistic, doubly so because the Shire reflects Tolkien's love of the traditional countryside.

As I mentioned, over here in England there's long been a tradition of keen gardeners growing out-sized vegetables (specifically) for show, along with fierce rivalry between gardeners and the occasional bit of wrongdoing behind the scenes, and that trope would suit hobbits just fine. Note that I mentioned growing them purely for show rather than for eating as giant veg isn't much for flavour. Going back to strawberries, though, I can remember how when I was a kid, grown-ups (and my mother in particular) could be heard to complain about how the strawberries that were being sold nowadays ('nowadays' then being the 1970s) were big but were lacking in flavour. They weren't just imagining things, either - that was a consequence of traditional varieties being edged out by modern ones in commercial growing, and an emphasis on size and general appearance. It's a thing, and a general and well-known thing at that.

BTW Rad, the reason the fruit have less flavor today in the store is they are picked before they are ripe and ripen during shipment. Vine ripened fruit is always tastier than what they sell in stores now a days. It has little to do with size.

BTW Rad, the reason the fruit have less flavor today in the store is they are picked before they are ripe and ripen during shipment. Vine ripened fruit is always tastier than what they sell in stores now a days. It has little to do with size.
    It's because when growers keep selecting for size and appearance as well as other factors such as fruit that keeps well and can be transported well, and for the plants to have other desirable qualities such as resistance to frost, pests and diseases that doesn't leave much room for the fruit being flavourful as well - something's got to give. This has affected other fruit as well, apples in particular.

(Plus last I looked strawberries don't grow on vines, dear, that's tomatoes).

Fact remains, you shouldn't imagine strawberries grown by hobbits as looking just like what you'd buy down the supermarket nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Fact remains, you shouldn't imagine...
    As a Hobbit I will imagine giant everything! Especially giant feather beds in the Prancing Pony! And whole pints of ale!

As a Hobbit I will imagine giant everything! Especially giant feather beds in the Prancing Pony! And whole pints of ale!
    I'm fairly confident that pints would have would have been very much 'a thing' in the Shire, at least in Professor Tolkien's mind.

I can't believe you two are still arguing over the shape and size of a so far non-existent cosmetic item!

Quote Originally Posted by Langie View Post
    I'm fairly confident that pints would have would have been very much 'a thing' in the Shire, at least in Professor Tolkien's mind.
    I doubt he forgot hobbits are meant to be teeny-tiny. Them drinking a pint of ale would be like one of us drinking about four so somehow I doubt hobbits would be drinking pints as a matter of course. The movie had the right general idea.

I can't believe you two are still arguing over the shape and size of a so far non-existent cosmetic item!
    Not the basket (we all know what a basket looks like), just the fruit. Since hobbits were so small (about the size of four-year-old kids, on average), normal-sized strawberries (normal by historical standards, that is) would be pretty big to them to start with. No need to go making stuff look someone's instagrammed dessert, even if Milii's mind works that way

Who needs a hole in the ground when you have Hobbit-grown Strawberries?

You can do a new Welcome Mat for the Strawberry Festival, too:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2