We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

War Steeds broken today

I saw that in the release notes for today's updates that War Steeds were getting some attention:

Warsteed turns while moving now look more natural. This is an aesthetic fix and does not impact actual movement.
    Unfortunately, this statement turned out to be not true. Warsteed turning (at least on a light steed) took a hugely noticeable hit.

Please fix this, SSG.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
    I saw that in the release notes for today's updates that War Steeds were getting some attention:

Unfortunately, this statement turned out to be not true. Warsteed turning (at least on a light steed) took a hugely noticeable hit.

Please fix this, SSG.
    In the meantime, try turning with your mouse instead of the keyboard. It's a significantly different experience.

I do other things with my mouse (clicking skills and changing camera angles and selecting targets) while I'm steering with my keyboard. After 11+ years, it's a little tough to change your entire way of playing the game because of one accidental change.

But yes, it's worth pointing out that this bug only affects keyboard turning and not mouse turning.

Please fix this, SSG.
    Yes, if you keyboard turn now on a warsteed (the one I tried is also light) it's like turning a supertanker. It was nice and responsive before the change and I'm not gonna learn a whole new way to play at my age. (I'm one of those geriatric players you often hear about and we don't do learning new tricks.)

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post
    (I'm one of those geriatric players you often hear about and we don't do learning new tricks.)
    I think you can add me to that group!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Warsteed turning while stopped is much slower, so it's not just an aesthetic change. Moving through the tight places in Dale and Lake-town has gotten much harder.

I didn't see the mention in the release notes before I noticed my warsteed reacting like it was stuck in mud, so it's not my imagination. Please fix or undo.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval www.shadowbanekinship.com

Question

I didn't notice any change in my movement - wasn't really looking at or caring about the animation. I ran circles around a target the same as I did before the update. Of course I ride Light!

Light Warsteed turns like a 20' pontoon boat, Medium turns like a 60' yacht and the Heavy is like turning the Queen Mary.
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    I didn't notice any change in my movement - wasn't really looking at or caring about the animation. I ran circles around a target the same as I did before the update. Of course I ride Light!

Light Warsteed turns like a 20' pontoon boat, Medium turns like a 60' yacht and the Heavy is like turning the Queen Mary.
    Well, there are two options--either you turn with your mouse, or you're just not very perceptive. I'm guessing the former.

Well, there are two options--either you turn with your mouse, or you're just not very perceptive. I'm guessing the former.
    Thanks for the guess - I guess. But I'm using the keyboard and I don't see any real big difference. I may have to click a few additional times but my radius hasn't noticeably decreased.

Really I think it might even work better, but that may have been just low lag I didn't even do the TU drift on the curves riding East from the Stablemaster!

Please look into this. My turning radius has noticeably grown wider. I ran around the same camp today as I did yesterday, but this time I over shot every turn, and even fell off a cliff. I use my warsteed all the time, so this change makes travel much harder.
    Last edited by CloudCastle; Jun 05 2018 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    Thanks for the guess - I guess. But I'm using the keyboard and I don't see any real big difference. I may have to click a few additional times but my radius hasn't noticeably decreased.

Really I think it might even work better, but that may have been just low lag I didn't even do the TU drift on the curves riding East from the Stablemaster!
    The difference is enormous. Turning is a lot slower. Even turning while standing still is a lot slower. Combat is broken. You can't turn in a circle tight enough to even hit mobs. All you can do now is charge them once, hit them, and either stand still or ride off a distance and slowly turn around.

I am glad to see I'm not just imagining things. MAJOR difference! Warsteed turning is now way worse than before. When I slow down to get that quick turn...nothing happens. I turn like a sinking yacht at all speeds. If warsteeds didnt piss you off before, they certainly will now xD

Please dont ignore this one, SSG - I know you're reading!

-Ods

Yea mounted combat is just broken "TODAY" ... I rubber banded for the first time ever TODAY ... /sarcasm off
    Last edited by Dmunney; Jun 05 2018 at 09:04 PM.

Man, I'm short sighted.

I feel like an idiot. I made a thread in General Discussion about this very thing, and now I feel the need to kick myself in the head. If a mod or anyone could lock or delete that thread, it'd be appreciated!

That being said, while I do notice a difference in turning at max speed, the turning on all the other speed levels has remained the same for me. I've made comparisons to the War-steed turning when I've described it to friends and others that don't play the game that it's like trying to go at a sharp angle on a hovercraft or jet ski. It always felt like unwieldy drifting at all speeds; Initial D has its place, but I don't think it's in LOTRO. (If you never saw Initial D, you're welcome for being introduced to the greatest threesome of Eurobeat, racing, and anime the world will ever see.)

But now I can see there's a difference. And while I think this is a bug, I think the turning ability of the war-steed slowing down is actually a good thing. While testing out the War-steed by doing a run from Bree to Edoras (I use a medium for reference), whenever I slowed down to navigate cliffs such as in Dunland or the Trollshaws, the turning radius remained as quick and unwieldy as ever. It got to the point where I was in more danger when I chose to go slow from the turning, than I was from rubber-banding at full speed. I'm fine with the low speeds having a faster rotation speed for the War-steeds, but as you go faster, does it not make sense to have a bit more effort needed to turn around?

Whenever I turned at high speed, it felt more natural and far less slippery than it usually did. The rubber-banding still happened often enough for me to conclude that those issues are still present, but with turning, I never suffered from moving about incredibly slippery.

Rather than see this potential bug fixed, I'd rather it become a feature, and with it have the turning ability of the lower speeds tweaked so it's a gradual change from being stopped and turning instantly to what we have now at max speed. This doesn't solve all the problems with War-steeds, but it does go a long way towards making it something people would willingly want to play with.

I don't need to tell anyone, whether they be a dev, PR, player, or otherwise that turning a feature from detested for being another thing causing lag to something people actually want to do is a good thing. This could very well be a step towards that and fixing something that's been the elephant in the room for this game for a long time.

I just replied in your thread, but this change--hopefully accidental--makes mounted combat all but impossible.

I could get behind them changing the slower speeds (walk, trot, and canter) to having this slower turn rate, but mounted combat needs top speed and the ability to turn and face your enemy. Which it had until yesterday.

Not everyone detested the old warsteed handling. I liked it. There are definitely a lot of vocal forum voices, though, mostly not liking the rubberbanding.

If the issue is you have trouble turning at top speed to face the opponents, why not shift the War-steed to a lower gear before turning? Once you have distance and turn around, you can then charge them again at top speed.

Granted, I can see the argument for not having that action be more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoo View Post
    If the issue is you have trouble turning at top speed to face the opponents, why not shift the War-steed to a lower gear before turning? Once you have distance and turn around, you can then charge them again at top speed.

Granted, I can see the argument for not having that action be more complicated.
    It doesn't turn faster at slower speeds--I just tested. The turn *radius* is less, because you're traveling slower, but that won't help much, as MC enemy mobs are set at full warsteed speed, so they're just beating on you the whole time you struggle to turn. And when you turned, they wouldn't be where you left them anymore because they're faster than you.

And that's not even getting into the fact that you'd have to cycle through 3 speeds to get to canter (and relearn years of muscle memory). Or that mounted combat was never intended to be like jousting.

I sympathize with people who want slower handling on warsteeds, but that just doesn't mesh with mounted combat. But if they slowed the turn rate in canter and trot and walk, that would address your issue while not breaking mounted combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoo View Post

Whenever I turned at high speed, it felt more natural and far less slippery than it usually did. The rubber-banding still happened often enough for me to conclude that those issues are still present, but with turning, I never suffered from moving about incredibly slippery.

I don't need to tell anyone, whether they be a dev, PR, player, or otherwise that turning a feature from detested for being another thing causing lag to something people actually want to do is a good thing. This could very well be a step towards that and fixing something that's been the elephant in the room for this game for a long time.
    This is what I experienced too - felt more natural riding at full speed and less sliding. However this change does affect handling especially at lower speeds. Maybe SSG is on to something here?

It doesn't turn faster at slower speeds--I just tested. The turn *radius* is less, because you're traveling slower, but that won't help much, as MC enemy mobs are set at full warsteed speed, so they're just beating on you the whole time you struggle to turn. And when you turned, they wouldn't be where you left them anymore because they're faster than you.

And that's not even getting into the fact that you'd have to cycle through 3 speeds to get to canter (and relearn years of muscle memory). Or that mounted combat was never intended to be like jousting.

I sympathize with people who want slower handling on warsteeds, but that just doesn't mesh with mounted combat. But if they slowed the turn rate in canter and trot and walk, that would address your issue while not breaking mounted combat.
    Okay I see what you were referring to initially about the turn rate when virtually stopped or going slow - larger radius. Maybe its just style or keyboard - but if I reduce speed from 12-15mps to make a turn as if attacking it turns about the same. Essentially I'm pressing back (slow) key and turn key at the same time, sorta like you would with an airplane with the stick and rudder.

I haven't tried mounted combat against other mounted mobs - maybe that is more difficult. Then again I do figure eights instead of circles with MC mobs just to keep speed up.

Bump for a possible dev response before the weekend.

Any chance this is fixed soon? The character I'm playing is just entering Rohan, and if mounted combat is going to remain broken for a while, I'll take a break.

I do other things with my mouse (clicking skills and changing camera angles and selecting targets) while I'm steering with my keyboard. After 11+ years, it's a little tough to change your entire way of playing the game because of one accidental change.

But yes, it's worth pointing out that this bug only affects keyboard turning and not mouse turning.
    Do you use skills while on a warsteed? I only use it for transport, no need for skills then. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sashra View Post
    Do you use skills while on a warsteed? I only use it for transport, no need for skills then. :P
    Oh yeah, I've gotten pretty good at LOTRO over 11 years, including good at mounted combat.

In other news, I got a reply to my ticket and they said this is a known issue and they're working on a fix for next patch. Hope that's soon!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...33#post7843933

Cord says an attempt at a fix is in for the next patch, fyi.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Musings on LOTRO and other games: www.killtenrats.com

I was cleaning up some Quests in The Wastes on my 115 Lore-master today when I ran into Marzgurúd. It was outside Haerondir in fairly open fields. I decided to tackle the group mounted on my Light Steed. I haven't had a worse experience with Mounted Combat than this. Turning was ridiculously wide, and to boot when firing off some Mounted Skills the Steed would suddenly stop. I did manage to start back up a few times before the group closed. I had it reset one time because the turning arc was so wide I got out of their operating area. One time I stopped too close to the group, got unhorsed, and quickly killed.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood