We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New player need some tips :)

Hello guys im alex im intrested in playing the game and give it a shot cause i really like lord of the rings and its story(i know i had to start earlier)..but i have some questions first..is it worth still playing? are there any people online? which is a good european server to start? im from greece ..i will find people to play with or not until the later levels?which expansion should i buy or its worth more to buy? sry for the questions but i need to know some things before i start cause i have time and im willing to play this game..

Hi Alex, yes, people do still play this game. I play on an NA server so unfortunately I can't help you with a server choice that is EU. Initially you don't need to worry about purchasing expansions or grouping, as the starter areas can be soloed except for a few optional quests and instances. (Ered Luin, the Shire, Bree and the Lonelands). There are definitely benefits to subscribing. As you can see from this list, none of it is anything to worry about during your first 20 levels.

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

It sounds like you may be more interested in story than leveling fast and furiously. If so, there's lots for you to do. I would suggest experimenting with a couple of characters to see what you like. Also you can use these extra characters to help earn LP (Lotro Points) that you can use in the store.

Enjoy and welcome aboard.
    "You can't fight the Enemy with his own Ring without turning into an Enemy" - J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter # 81

Quote Originally Posted by alexlotr0 View Post
    Hello guys im alex im intrested in playing the game and give it a shot cause i really like lord of the rings and its story(i know i had to start earlier)..but i have some questions first..is it worth still playing? are there any people online? which is a good european server to start? im from greece ..i will find people to play with or not until the later levels?which expansion should i buy or its worth more to buy? sry for the questions but i need to know some things before i start cause i have time and im willing to play this game..
    Alex,

To answer your questions. I would go free to play for the first 20 levels. There is a lot of free content for starting players.
    Around 20 decide whether to subscribe or not, but you will be able to make a much more informed decision about how you want to spend your money.

I would try Laurelin for an EU server with lots of people looking to interact with each other.
    It's a role play server and with the focus being story and interaction. (2 things you most talked about)

I would also join a kinship. It's a good way to meet people. You will see players in game who have tags on them indicating what kin they belong to.
    Talking to them can help you figure out which kin to join.
    There are also sometimes kinship advertisements for recruitment here on the forums.

Good luck on your adventure through middle earth.

Hello, Alex! Welcome to Middle Earth! Lotro is a great game for story and world immersion; since you like LotR, I know you will enjoy your journey here.

As Tiberius said, I would recommend Laurelin to you as a good EU server, but feel free to make a "scout" toon on any server that looks interesting to you and just checking out the community for a few lvls to see where you would fit the best. Also, don't be alarmed if you don't SEE many other players running around. Lotro's Map is HUGE, much bigger than most MMO's, and the player base is scattered across it. The best way to check player activity is seeing how active World Chat is. If there is several people talking, you know there's people on playing. '

As far as expansions go, you have quite a while before you need to decide that, especially if you take it slow and enjoy each region before moving on. Mines of Moria is the first xpac and it's not until lvl 50 or so that you need that. I would recommend getting the xpacs, because even though you can do the Epic storyline within them, you need the xpac to do the side quests, and many of the side quest lines are just as good as the main one, imo. Around the US holiday of Thanksgiving (late November) and Christmas time, the WEBSITE store (not the in game store) usually has really good deals on the xpacs. Last year, you could get the first 5 xpacs for a total of $16 USD. Mordor wasn't included in that sale and may not be this year either, since it's still fairly new. But I would wait til then to buy xpacs if I were you.

So glad you found us! Feel free to jump in and experience one of the most lore accurate representations of Tolkien's books available right now!

Quote Originally Posted by TiberiasKirk View Post
    Alex,

To answer your questions. I would go free to play for the first 20 levels. There is a lot of free content for starting players.
    Around 20 decide whether to subscribe or not, but you will be able to make a much more informed decision about how you want to spend your money.

I would try Laurelin for an EU server with lots of people looking to interact with each other.
    It's a role play server and with the focus being story and interaction. (2 things you most talked about)

I would also join a kinship. It's a good way to meet people. You will see players in game who have tags on them indicating what kin they belong to.
    Talking to them can help you figure out which kin to join.
    There are also sometimes kinship advertisements for recruitment here on the forums.

Good luck on your adventure through middle earth.

thanx very much for the info i joined the server you talked about i couldnt post earlier though cause the site had a problem..i made a dwarf guardian level 14 atm and a human captain..Captain is very fun with the support skills and the heals plus the banners..i like the dwarf lore though but tank is a bit boring to farm but usefull i believe at the end...but im thinking of trying the dwarf champion..seems badass dual-wielding or 2 handed and i really like burst dps chars..so im gonna try champion and the hunter..and probably ill play one of those two...having fun so far..im seeing lots of people even at the early levels so i cant wait to progress !!

Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    Hello, Alex! Welcome to Middle Earth! Lotro is a great game for story and world immersion; since you like LotR, I know you will enjoy your journey here.

As Tiberius said, I would recommend Laurelin to you as a good EU server, but feel free to make a "scout" toon on any server that looks interesting to you and just checking out the community for a few lvls to see where you would fit the best. Also, don't be alarmed if you don't SEE many other players running around. Lotro's Map is HUGE, much bigger than most MMO's, and the player base is scattered across it. The best way to check player activity is seeing how active World Chat is. If there is several people talking, you know there's people on playing. '

As far as expansions go, you have quite a while before you need to decide that, especially if you take it slow and enjoy each region before moving on. Mines of Moria is the first xpac and it's not until lvl 50 or so that you need that. I would recommend getting the xpacs, because even though you can do the Epic storyline within them, you need the xpac to do the side quests, and many of the side quest lines are just as good as the main one, imo. Around the US holiday of Thanksgiving (late November) and Christmas time, the WEBSITE store (not the in game store) usually has really good deals on the xpacs. Last year, you could get the first 5 xpacs for a total of $16 USD. Mordor wasn't included in that sale and may not be this year either, since it's still fairly new. But I would wait til then to buy xpacs if I were you.

So glad you found us! Feel free to jump in and experience one of the most lore accurate representations of Tolkien's books available right now!

thank you very much i really like the game so far..although i dont know which character to play as my main i have a dwarf guardian..tried captain aswell..im gonna try champion and hunter they seem to deal good damage and they i will figure it out!!

Quote Originally Posted by tuor66 View Post
    Hi Alex, yes, people do still play this game. I play on an NA server so unfortunately I can't help you with a server choice that is EU. Initially you don't need to worry about purchasing expansions or grouping, as the starter areas can be soloed except for a few optional quests and instances. (Ered Luin, the Shire, Bree and the Lonelands). There are definitely benefits to subscribing. As you can see from this list, none of it is anything to worry about during your first 20 levels.

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/vip

It sounds like you may be more interested in story than leveling fast and furiously. If so, there's lots for you to do. I would suggest experimenting with a couple of characters to see what you like. Also you can use these extra characters to help earn LP (Lotro Points) that you can use in the store.

Enjoy and welcome aboard.
    Thank you im already enjoying the game so far..i went with Laurelin as the guys told me for europe..im expirementing with the characters now..went with guardian like it..played captain..i want to try champion and hunter and then i will decide..are some of them more viable choices than the others for instances and raids?

Thank you im already enjoying the game so far..i went with Laurelin as the guys told me for europe..im expirementing with the characters now..went with guardian like it..played captain..i want to try champion and hunter and then i will decide..are some of them more viable choices than the others for instances and raids?
    Hiya, if its instances and raids you are looking for Evernight is a better choice for you than Laurelin. Laurelin is a lovely server/community but is lacking for group content runs in comparison to most other servers. Welcome to the game wherever your home is made

so adding to this as I cant post or create a post anywhere

1. completely new I have a 24 warden so far that heals for 15 to 58 damage from morale taps and hots-- which does nothing for my survivability.

A. when do the heals get to the point where the warden can sustain himself?

2. I read Beorning is terrible.... is that only once you get to 105 and start the Mordor content? or is this class more than viable up to 105?
    Last edited by Mornival; May 22 2018 at 11:05 PM.

My advice would be to don't worry about getting anything done in a certain amount of time and just enjoy the game. It's absolutely beautiful with a ton of lore.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

And something that I don't think anybody has mentioned so far on this thread: every region of Middle-earth is set in its own time period. In the Shire, it's September, Third Age 3018, a few days after Frodo and company left Bag End. In Rivendell, it's December 24th, and there's an instance wherein the Company leaves Rivendell on the morning of December 25th. When you get to Westerm Gondor, it's spring and all the flowering trees are in bloom. In Central Gondor and in Minas Tirith, it's the Dawnless Day and the sky is overcast by day and lit up by the fires of Mordor. Once you complete the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, you go to a different version of Minas Tirith which is rather beat-up, but the sun is shining again.

The point is that even now, early in the twelfth year of the game, you can start a character in the Shire or in the Bree-lands in late T.A. 3018* and follow the whole history, chapter by chapter, up to the present build in which the Ring has fallen and the Free Peoples are trying to establish order in what's left of Mordor and in Northern Mirkwood. I have no idea what's going to happen in the next update.

So don't feel you're starting late. The game is waiting for you.

_____
    *If you make a Dwarf or Elf character, you begin the new-character instance in a somewhat earlier time, providing some backstory, before you enter the game at large.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Mornival View Post
    so adding to this as I cant post or create a post anywhere

1. completely new I have a 24 warden so far that heals for 15 to 58 damage from morale taps and hots-- which does nothing for my survivability.

A. when do the heals get to the point where the warden can sustain himself?

2. I read Beorning is terrible.... is that only once you get to 105 and start the Mordor content? or is this class more than viable up to 105?
    Bite off a bit less for another 15-25 levels. Like most classes, wardens don't really get up to speed until their 30s and don't really mature until 50 (the original level cap).

Check the stats on your equipment. You want mostly Agility (improves damage, evasion, and parrying) and Vitality (Morale). Any other stat is pretty much no benefit at level 24 (and not much better than that at 115). If you've got some Skirmish Marks, you can buy stuff at the skirmish camp. You're just starting out with stat bonuses really, but keep Ag & Vit in mind when picking quest rewards. Keep up DPS on your weapons. Ignore the quest reward boxes with Medium Strength armor because those are for Beornings. Also suffer along with everyone else at your level because the old itemization was for the original class designs where all stats mattered.

Rotation, rotation, rotation. You just picked up a metric buttload of Masteries which speed up the gambit build at the cost of losing the effects of individual builder skills. Work them into your gambit building rotations.

Example: Shield Bash (Sh) then Spear Thrust (Sp) then Persevere does some DPS then gives you a heal plus a HoT plus 30 seconds of block bonus. Shield+Spear Mastery then Persevere skips the DPS of the builders and let you get the gambit off quickly so as to gain the defensive buff and the healing. Now the Sh+Sp mastery is on cooldown, but you can do a full Shield Bash then Sp+Sh mastery then Safeguard
    to get a second block buff & heal.

Gambits that start with Sp, Sh, ... will interrupt the mob. Some can stun the mob. When you see the telltale wind-up hit your Sp+Sh mastery and give 'em The Boot.

Beornings solo very, very, well to 105+. You can easily get as far 110 before entering Mordor. They have some problems and are not as popular for group instances at level cap. SSG is working on straightening out a lot of class problems, but this is an area where the optimists think they will do it fast and the pessimists half fast.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Bite off a bit less for another 15-25 levels. Like most classes, wardens don't really get up to speed until their 30s and don't really mature until 50 (the original level cap).

Check the stats on your equipment. You want mostly Agility (improves damage, evasion, and parrying) and Vitality (Morale). Any other stat is pretty much no benefit at level 24 (and not much better than that at 115). If you've got some Skirmish Marks, you can buy stuff at the skirmish camp. You're just starting out with stat bonuses really, but keep Ag & Vit in mind when picking quest rewards. Keep up DPS on your weapons. Ignore the quest reward boxes with Medium Strength armor because those are for Beornings. Also suffer along with everyone else at your level because the old itemization was for the original class designs where all stats mattered.

Rotation, rotation, rotation. You just picked up a metric buttload of Masteries which speed up the gambit build at the cost of losing the effects of individual builder skills. Work them into your gambit building rotations.

Example: Shield Bash (Sh) then Spear Thrust (Sp) then Persevere does some DPS then gives you a heal plus a HoT plus 30 seconds of block bonus. Shield+Spear Mastery then Persevere skips the DPS of the builders and let you get the gambit off quickly so as to gain the defensive buff and the healing. Now the Sh+Sp mastery is on cooldown, but you can do a full Shield Bash then Sp+Sh mastery then Safeguard
    to get a second block buff & heal.

Gambits that start with Sp, Sh, ... will interrupt the mob. Some can stun the mob. When you see the telltale wind-up hit your Sp+Sh mastery and give 'em The Boot.

Beornings solo very, very, well to 105+. You can easily get as far 110 before entering Mordor. They have some problems and are not as popular for group instances at level cap. SSG is working on straightening out a lot of class problems, but this is an area where the optimists think they will do it fast and the pessimists half fast.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
    thank you

Lastly-- before I commit-- boerning, warden or captain for ease of soloing-- including the instances (like Great Barrow) ease of killing much higher levels and elite type mobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mornival View Post
    thank you

Lastly-- before I commit-- boerning, warden or captain for ease of soloing-- including the instances (like Great Barrow) ease of killing much higher levels and elite type mobs
    Beorning kills single mobs fastest, then Warden is a bit faster than Captain. They can all hold their own about the same against higher levels it's just a matter of how much time it takes. When fighting groups at higher levels (50+) the Warden pulls ahead.

The significant advantages that the Warden has for soloing are non-combat - Forced March and Muster skills. You spend 25% less time running around non-combat areas and you can Muster in XXX back to quest givers, or back to a stable then horse to the quest giver. You're picking up the next quests in the arc while the Beorning and Cappy are still running back through mobs, or using up a long cooldown Milestone/Return skill. Another minor advantage is Assailment Stance turning you into a ranged combatant. Not generally used when questing on-level, it's convenient for knocking off Slayer Deeds vs gray mobs.

Since the classes are going through an overhaul right now, things can change a bit. The Beorning especially is considered incomplete.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Thanks