We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

If you won a competition to get one thing changed....What?

Something made me think during the anniversary interviews about SSG maybe doing a competition and for the winner to get one quality of life / bug of their choice worked on and fixed.
    It can't be anything fundamental, like server or class related but some bug that keeps getting overlooked for more important things.

What would be you choice for QoL/bug if you won the fantasy competition?

My initial thought would be (I reserve the right to change my mind) to allow outside housing items to be moved around.
    I know there is issues with people encroaching out of their areas and having floating items but I think it could be sorted with some thought. Maybe disable vertical movement for outside items and when you enter decorating mode outside, an invisible wall will surround your property limits and therefore not allow you to move items outside your limits. As soon as decorating mode is off the invisible walls drop. Voila
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Initial Loading screen audio levels, and the Epic Story Movies - the sound is beyond brutal
    Last edited by Skoch; May 16 2018 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skoch View Post
    Initial Loading screen audio levels, and the Epic Story Movies - the sound is beyond brutal
    this. or have the Epic Movie sound connected to the rest of the game sound completely. I have ALL game sound turned off since I watch youtube etc. while playing, but with ALL game sound off, Those movies still have volume, frankly it's suuuper annoying.

Also, since people already mentioned it, that "memorial" server garden in Michael Delving is just awful and should go.

Some ideas I would implement:
    Hunters get either machine guns or bazookas
    Champions get chainsaws to literally cut things down
    Guardians get actual tanks
    Minstrels become members of the red cross and get a 700% increase in heals
    Wardens get amplifiers on their backs, so their yells are even louder
    Loremasters actually have zoos
    Runekeepers gain the ability to either summon volcanoes or Zeus' Wrath
    Beornings obtain the ability to run and maul at the same time
    Burglars actually have search warrants out for them
    Captains have full armies following them

All joking aside,
    I would get rid of the ash system and change the way gear progression is. Have actual drops in t1 that help get you to t2/c. I also would get rid of the ash system and raid armor from lootboxes.
    Rimenuir | Fadhroreth | Daechamnir | Rimenswords | Beornemgarth | Rimensneak | Rimenoath | Rimenheals | Rimentank |
    Arkenstone Server, Meneldor native.
    Rimenbuff and Rimenpew: Landroval

There's a lot of things I'd like to fix, but the biggest would be a few ill-conceived changes to the game that had cascading effects til they became two of the biggest problems we have today.

*** Game Balance.

Originally fully geared characters were about 10%-20% better than characters in quest rewards, so balancing was easy. First Age LI's increased the gap a bit, but not excessively so. A fully geared alt was good enough to carry an ungeared player, but wouldn't faceroll their way through content. Even after a level cap increase, content at the old cap became easier but was still challenging. When stats were uncapped and many derived stats were removed, it made sense to mainly stack the primary stat for a class, with a resulting increase in power. We need to go back to quest rewards being the baseline, high end crafted gear being slightly better, and top tier raid rewards being at most 15-20% better than the base.

From 1-99 stat progression was linear, making it easy to balance new content and skills. At 100 when essences were introduced, everything changed. Instantly an alt with crafted gear had 2-3 times the stats they had at 99, and a geared alt was even higher. Suddenly many skills that scaled to match the previously linear progression became useless, and the gap between geared and ungeared became vast. Attempts to balance content for one end of the scale made things impossible for one or ridiculously easy for the other. The problem only got worse with Mordor, when an attempt was made to deal with the balance issues by making new stats so ridiculously high that it was like hitting a reset button. The game was essentially split into two, as everything that came before was obsolete. The problem was that it completely broke older content and only exacerbated the issues with skills that still scaled linearly, and the gap between geared and ungeared became even wider than before with increasing balance issues. The time to fix the issue was in Western Gondor when it could have been solved by retroactively cutting essence values in half. It's still doable now, though there will be far more outrage as players see their precious numbers cut, despite their relative strength not changing. This is probably the last chance for a long term solution before it becomes necessary to rescale everything each time the cap goes up and new stat inflation occurs, or it won't be long before we reach 5 digit numbers on essences.

Imbued Legendary Items... I won't even go into this one. The ever increasing % multiplier problem is obvious, but the only solution I see is to permanently cap legacies at around tier 30 or so, with % based legacies never changing once they reach maximum tier, and have the main stat on the LI increase with the level of the character holding it, along with any rating based legacies. Also make it so players can change and improve the random passives on 2H and class items, which should also scale with the level of the owner.

*** Gold Spamming

The root of the problem started with open tapping back in Rohan. The idea of shared mob credit was sound and prevented the prior problem of lines forming for quest mobs, but it was loot multiplication that was the mistake. Under the original system a mob dropped one set of loot which was rolled on by all the players in the group. With open tapping the mob now dropped a full set of loot for every player in every group that tagged it. To nobodys surprise, this immediately lead to years of raids standing on top of fast spawning mobs, where 10-11 players were afk while the rest killed everything in sight. Multiboxers especially enjoyed this one. The effects on the economy were immediate, and spiralling inflation hasn't stopped since.

A few years later someone had the bright idea to allow store items to be sold, and the rampant spamming from the gold sellers started after this change. While gold had little value, store items did, and finally they had a way to turn TP into cash. Selling gold became a lucrative way to drive those store sales. The multiboxers were also ecstatic since now they had a way to sell the 6x TP they'd earned while farming gold.

Change open tapping to no longer multiply loot but instead automatically roll for each item, and stop letting store items be traded for Mithril.

"Connexion established"

I had just mentioned this in another thread in suggestions a couple of days ago. Get rid of that stupid garden in Michel Delving with the server names. I cannot think of a worst place to put it.

Seriously, what was Turbine thinking?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Adding a new hobby!

The bidding system of the auction house (still) doesn't work, right? I hope it can be fixed.

Go back to before Skill Trees so that we could use the skills we wanted and get the bonuses attached to them instead of having to use skills we hate and don't want to use, just to get skill points to spend on skills we do want to use! Pre Skill Trees, class deeds rewarded you for the skills you used with bonuses to those skills and didn't make you use skills you didn't want. For example, why is my Lore Master having to to heal a pet in Blue Line hundreds of times, to get skill points to spend on Lightning skills in Red Line?

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I had just mentioned this in another thread in suggestions a couple of days ago. Get rid of that stupid garden in Michel Delving with the server names. I cannot think of a worst place to put it.
    Oh, I could get behind that.

Seriously, what was Turbine thinking?
    They were thinking of memorializing the servers that were shut down. And if they'd only done that, and left out most of the garden paraphernalia, it might not be so bad. But there's an obelisk for every server, living and dead, and so much shrubbery you can't even see Marcho and Blanco any more.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    Something made me think during the anniversary interviews about SSG maybe doing a competition and for the winner to get one quality of life / bug of their choice worked on and fixed.
    It can't be anything fundamental, like server or class related but some bug that keeps getting overlooked for more important things.

What would be you choice for QoL/bug if you won the fantasy competition?

My initial thought would be (I reserve the right to change my mind) to allow outside housing items to be moved around.
    I know there is issues with people encroaching out of their areas and having floating items but I think it could be sorted with some thought. Maybe disable vertical movement for outside items and when you enter decorating mode outside, an invisible wall will surround your property limits and therefore not allow you to move items outside your limits. As soon as decorating mode is off the invisible walls drop. Voila
    Actually a very simple way to accomplish that would be to eliminate the "hooks" altogether and let the owner drop items where THEY want to as long as it is placed within the boundries of the property (inside or outside). Add collusion detection routines to make sure items don't "touch" anything else (ie: item movement would stop if you tried to move it thru a floor or would not drop if it would trigger a collusion), maybe a toggle to turn collusion detection on/off? We were doing this back in the early 2000's on old VRML-based 3D chat communities, I am sure the programmers at LOTRO could implement this quite easily if they chose too
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    Actually a very simple way to accomplish that would be to eliminate the "hooks" altogether and let the owner drop items where THEY want to as long as it is placed within the boundries of the property (inside or outside). Add collusion detection routines to make sure items don't "touch" anything else (ie: item movement would stop if you tried to move it thru a floor or would not drop if it would trigger a collusion), maybe a toggle to turn collusion detection on/off? We were doing this back in the early 2000's on old VRML-based 3D chat communities, I am sure the programmers at LOTRO could implement this quite easily if they chose too
    I'm sorry but this word is being abused in politics currently but I don't think you meant collusion. Collision, perhaps. I only bring it up cuz I'm giggling madly thinking about the ability to add a collusion detection to certain Washington, D.C. government offices.

Collision detection might seem like a good idea but I dunno how well that could be done, just for housing.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Funny how "one thing" turns into a novella. *Glares at Vanyaerunanethiel.*

Bigger wardrobe, like up to 9999 items.

Second would be flying war pigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post

Well maybe it's like what you'd wish for if you got a genie in a bottle: I'd wish for unlimited wishes. So the one thing I'd want changed is that I'm not limited to one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post

Well maybe it's like what you'd wish for if you got a genie in a bottle: I'd wish for unlimited wishes. So the one thing I'd want changed is that I'm not limited to one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    If I had to pick ONE THING, it'd be the lag. No more hitching in Rohan and Gondor especially. No more freezes, rubberbanding and skill lock in the moors. Make the game run great again.

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    Maybe disable vertical movement for outside items and when you enter decorating mode outside, an invisible wall will surround your property limits and therefore not allow you to move items outside your limits. As soon as decorating mode is off the invisible walls drop. Voila
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaiandrial View Post
    Or what they said

Any way - if I can move my items then great
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

While I like Snowlocks "remove lag please" suggestion I think I'd go with the ability to add/replace passive stats on 2h LI's.

This way you could switch them if the focus in game play became different enough that you feel you need to get ICPR back and don't need +agi on your LM staff... without making 12 gross of LI to get the stats you feel you need.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

This is easy! One thing to change?

The roll of Gandalf will be played by me!

/winning

MAWorking had the highest post count on the pre-beta LOTRO forums. He was truly an icon and clearly, hasn't changed a bit. -Meghan/aka Patience

1. Difficult Landscape (Make even travel difficult)

2. Remove all currencies except gold, raise price of vendor commodities to match the net wealth of each server

3. Make questing difficult. Fellowship quests, hard solo quests.

4. Add relevant loot to every single piece of content in the game... and scale the loot/reward to the appropriate level according to the difficulty involved in completing the content, IE. a fellowship quest should give far more gold/xp than a solo quest.

These would make the game too fun though, and that's never the goal in MMO's anymore.

Updating the group conjunctions to do more damage so that players will use them again.

wow a lot of you seem to have not read the OP..... they said QoL changes, not gameplay changes... changing ash or how stats work or other such things are fundamental, not minor QoL stuff at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arially View Post
    wow a lot of you seem to have not read the OP..... they said QoL changes, not gameplay changes... changing ash or how stats work or other such things are fundamental, not minor QoL stuff at all.
    +10

But the same old names with their same old gripes will always use every opportunity to vent. Which is fine...

Of course it would have to be something they could complete with possibly one dev using their lunch break...
    harsh but true... but we have the devs who can do it <*_*>

I would ask them to fix all the chat bubbles that don't show up over the heads on NPC's. In many places across the world, especially in instances, there will be NPC's talking and when one NPC speaks, the other can start speaking without hurting teh text of the first one, and the first ones text should only disappear when he/she is the one who speaks again. But sometimes the game seem to mix them up, so if two NPC's start speaking, the first ones chat bubble doesn't have time to appear, and the second one's chat bubble cancels it out, like if they had been the same person.

This annoys me greatly since I will have to read through the chat window after each instance to see if I missed a bit of the storytelling.

And if that couldn't be done, I would ask them to make all tiny vector quests stay until you actually complete them. Far too many of them gets removed if you accidentally finish a different quest first (and with no warning), which makes it hard work being a completionist. I have to do research into which order to do all quests so none disappears. No matter how tiny a quest is, they're all important stories to me

And then I'd ask them to go back to the revamp of Northdowns and fix the lose ends they ended up with when changing the quests. I don't remember the exact problem but I have written about it on the forums in more detail before. I only remember that the actual story became broken and doesn't really work anymore.
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast