We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Starter Pack / Monetization

Since there's discussion about changes to VIP I thought I'd add my thoughts about other aspects of the game's monetization I think needs a refresh.

There's no doubt that currently it's confusing to people - what's included in VIP, what is in expansions, etc. and for a new player the cost is pretty steep for very old content. From reading on reddit and other forums, a lot of people are put off because of both of these things and never join the game.

So here are a couple of ideas I'd like to see:

1. A starter pack on the site and via Steam, very reasonably priced, aimed mostly at new players. This would include:
    * One month of VIP
    * All quest packs for content up to Moria
    * A mount
    * A pet
    * Some cosmetic gear
    Possibly a 'deluxe' and standard version that varies on the extras. But I'd say VIP and quest packs to level 50 are essential really at this stage of the game's life.

2. VIP extended to include all content from quest packs AND expansions, except for Mordor.

3. Ideally all prior expansions would be included in Mordor like other MMOs do, but I expect that won't happen.

I think, there once was a path-of-the-fellowship pack or something like that. While it isnt sold anymore on the site, its keys are still valid (used two of them roughly half a year ago). That pack had really good things for a reasonable price. Maybe, they should just put it in store again...
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Helm's Deep is outrageous. The price needs to be lowered.

We got our first pet at 95. Why should new players get one before that?

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    Helm's Deep is outrageous. The price needs to be lowered.
    agreed. And a pentapack instead of quadpack should start existing. 5 first addons for the price of two.
    Or even a pack for all addons, including Mordor, for the price of 2-3 Addons.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    agreed. And a pentapack instead of quadpack should start existing. 5 first addons for the price of two.
    Or even a pack for all addons, including Mordor, for the price of 2-3 Addons.
    I'd really like to see something like this. I've been playing MMO's since 2006 and have made quite a few friends in other games who are always looking to try something new. However, I've stopped suggesting LotRO due to the fact that it costs nearly $200 just to get the expansions needed for major instances and trait point quests and the like. ~$200 plus a monthly VIP fee for a new player to join an eleven year old game and be able to experience all content is far too much. I'd say they're charging over double what they should be for all of this, considering games like ESO are currently offering full game bundles which include the latest Expansion for ~$70.

They should definitely add packs to Steam, at least expansion packs. I would suggest this starter pack:
    • Riding trait
    • basic mount
    • quest pack for either Trollshaws, North Downs or Evendim
    • Universal toolkit
    • basic cosmetic set
    • xp boosts or slayer deed accelerators
    • 5x Rejuvenation potion

As for VIP:
    • Add account wide Universal Toolkit and Stone of Tortoise (even for higher price available only for VIP)
    • Add discount for expansions and quest packs for VIP
    • Add better prices to Gold Hobbit Present (e.g. higher amount of Gold we can obtain)

And that is all from me

On the whole I think they need to make it easy and inexpensive for everyone to get to level 50 at least, this is 11 year old content. With many MMOs now if you buy the most recent expansion you'll get all the earlier ones included, while in LOTRO outside of sales it's just plain stupid how expensive it all is and it genuinely puts off a lot of potential players.

High costs of multiple expansions is definitely discouraging to anyone that might be considering this game as a new player. Not only do you have to fork over a ton of cash, then you have a monumental grind ahead of you.

There is a benefit to getting people to play the game, even if they only take advantage of the free content. It makes the servers more lively. It's just good business for a game like this. Content aside, they will spend much more on all the extras outside the content on their way to level cap.