We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Starting over: most effective path for solo player

So I've decided to start over, building a hero from scratch. I'll be doing it as a premium member or whatever it's called (where you pay a monthly fee), and as a solo player. I'm partial to Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits. Any advice on which development paths I should look into? Do the skills related to crafting or mining or whatever really contribute much to the character's development or abilities, or should I ignore them?

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_Quinn View Post
    So I've decided to start over, building a hero from scratch. I'll be doing it as a premium member or whatever it's called (where you pay a monthly fee), and as a solo player. I'm partial to Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits. Any advice on which development paths I should look into? Do the skills related to crafting or mining or whatever really contribute much to the character's development or abilities, or should I ignore them?

Thanks all!
    Crafting and gathering just gets you better equipment. But nothing of it is bond, so anyone can craft anything you need for you (there is just one tiny exception to this rule, which you might as well ignore).
    Usually, the fastest way to leveling is playing any class in DPS line, while the safest is playing more tanky... depends on your playstyle and wishes.
    As just now classes get rebalanced, we cant tell you which class may be best for you, but if its all about soloing, then usually the most efficient class is Warden. Plus, you can play a Warden as Hobbit or Human. If you prefer ranged mobile dps, Hunter might be the better choice, but most consider Wardens as the King of soloing everything, as Wardens have good selfheal and high DPS, including AoE paired into their tanking traitline. But then, Warden is a kinda weird playstyle... some just dont like it^^
    Whatever you do: Any class/race combo can solo all of lotros landscape content, and many classes can solo large amounts of instances which are intended to be grouped... Its not really hard, until you hit lvl106+ and Mordor enemies. If its hard there depends on if you know to play your chosen class or not
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

If you have a sub, you'll be considered a VIP. There's 3 levels in LotRO all with different unlocks so using the right word when you ask helps so you can get the right info. Premium is a player that has spent money in the store (like a sub) so doesn't have all the restrictions a totally F2p player has, but has to purchase regions unlike a VIP that has them unlocked (there's other things too).

Crafting while still useful isn't what it once was anymore. Generally a lot of the loot drops you get will be just as good, if not better than the stuff you can make for yourself. With that point of view, crafting is only useful as another money source. You either sell what you gathered to the NPC vendors or in the AH. It really doesn't contribute anything (other than crafting XP) to the development or abilities of the character. That said, you can totally level up just on crafting xp, so unless you want it as a secondary source of xp, money or for RP purposes you can ignore it.

Warden's a very good solo class, I've done mine up to 85 so far. Minstrel might be an optional too as the lower level one I'm running seems to be fairly strong against single or a couple of opponents on or slightly higher level.

Best bet is to create a test character and play it through the intro and a couple of the beginning quests to get the feel for them. Warden uses gambits to make it's attacks which some find off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebless View Post
    If you have a sub, you'll be considered a VIP. There's 3 levels in LotRO all with different unlocks so using the right word when you ask helps so you can get the right info. Premium is a player that has spent money in the store (like a sub) so doesn't have all the restrictions a totally F2p player has, but has to purchase regions unlike a VIP that has them unlocked (there's other things too).

Crafting while still useful isn't what it once was anymore. Generally a lot of the loot drops you get will be just as good, if not better than the stuff you can make for yourself. With that point of view, crafting is only useful as another money source. You either sell what you gathered to the NPC vendors or in the AH. It really doesn't contribute anything (other than crafting XP) to the development or abilities of the character. That said, you can totally level up just on crafting xp, so unless you want it as a secondary source of xp, money or for RP purposes you can ignore it.

Warden's a very good solo class, I've done mine up to 85 so far. Minstrel might be an optional too as the lower level one I'm running seems to be fairly strong against single or a couple of opponents on or slightly higher level.

Best bet is to create a test character and play it through the intro and a couple of the beginning quests to get the feel for them. Warden uses gambits to make it's attacks which some find off putting.

Personally, if you want fast, get a AoV; for me, rolling a new alt means trying to find content I didnt find/bother with before, so the game feels at least a little fresher.

So I've decided to start over, building a hero from scratch.
    I did that at the beginning of the year. I'm enjoying playing so much better than I did before.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check