We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zavad View Post
    BBoM is not soloable. This content in Mordor and North Mirkwood is gating and not fun. I'm glad the elites are catered to, but the casuals are left in the cold.
    I started playing the beta and I have to admit the two or so breaks I took from the game were due to non-solo forced play. I've been playing again for several months and I am very much enjoying it. It is interesting to note however that, as I find myself wrapping up the Wastes, I'm torn as to what direction to take. I really do not want to experience the same solo-challenged gameplay that so many others have described.

Over the next few days, I need to decide whether I'm going deal with whatever lay ahead in Mordor, or work on some earlier deeds and wait for U23 in hopes it brings a more solo friendly Mordor story/experience.

Quote Originally Posted by webrender View Post
    I started playing the beta and I have to admit the two or so breaks I took from the game were due to non-solo forced play. I've been playing again for several months and I am very much enjoying it. It is interesting to note however that, as I find myself wrapping up the Wastes, I'm torn as to what direction to take. I really do not want to experience the same solo-challenged gameplay that so many others have described.

Over the next few days, I need to decide whether I'm going deal with whatever lay ahead in Mordor, or work on some earlier deeds and wait for U23 in hopes it brings a more solo friendly Mordor story/experience.
    You can do Mordor.
    You need to be careful in Mordor, but you can do it.
    It's a challenge. Go for it!
    ...................... missed a putt...............At a Dead & Co. show on a Mexican beach
    The real Boraxxe... wearing his "Get off my lawn!" face and his "I smoked my lawn" face.
    This has to end. I do not play LOTRO because I want to gamble. I play LOTRO because I like the game.
    Buying keys is not playing the game.
    Golfing Hobby yes....Golfing Hobby yes

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    You can do Mordor.
    You need to be careful in Mordor, but you can do it.
    It's a challenge. Go for it!
    I agree with this quote. It IS possible...

I found the challenge level to be unfun though. I used to raid and I think I would have a blast in the zones in a duo/three person group. I didn't however find soloing the landscape here fun at all. The LI grind that I forked over some money for put an even worse taste in my mouth. I guess just knowing there was no way for my alts to repeat that experience really was the last nail in the coffin for me.

Depending on the class you could be just fine.
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

I tested Mordor before I even bought it by going in and killing the signature mobs and some groups just to see. I then decided to level out side of it. Things might change with u23 though since they are doing some balancing.

Just a quick note to say thank you for the friendly advice. I made it into Mordor tonight. Even with me now being a few levels above the entry zone it was still very challenging (and I'm still hoping U23 helps make it a little easier to play). A couple of things that I found really intriguing:

1) The Ash system is pretty darn interesting. I find the concept that I can turn unusable gear into ash so I can pick-up better gear very cool. I just got a taste of it tonight, but I look forward to getting more exposure to this.

2) The light of Earendil element will take some getting used to. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but without some, it could get pretty difficult (especially with a surprise add or two). I did some reading after my play session and it sounds like finesse is a bigger deal as well. I must admit that I accidentally discovered that opening those couple of those controversial boxes I picked up provided me with a little ash, enough to get up to 30 light worth of gear. I guess I'll see how it plays tomorrow.

Thanks again for this advice, and happy hunting.
    Galrin on Landroval
    ~Lore-Master

2) The light of Earendil element will take some getting used to. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but without some, it could get pretty difficult (especially with a surprise add or two). I did some reading after my play session and it sounds like finesse is a bigger deal as well. I must admit that I accidentally discovered that opening those couple of those controversial boxes I picked up provided me with a little ash, enough to get up to 30 light worth of gear. I guess I'll see how it plays tomorrow.
    30 light will take you a good ways in Udun, and give you a solid head start on later areas, particularly once you start getting quest drops. Just watch out for those two camps, one at either end of the valley, where the Dark ramps up drastically and the enemies become supercharged lvl 115 terrors. Those are intended for players who have finished the Mordor plot, and are doing the daily Faction repeatables.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

I'm happy to see MoL's interest in this thread, a hearty thank you!

One huge issue to me about entering Mordor is the lack of any lvl 105 crafted gear. The last recipes available are lvl 100 Anorian and the next available recipes are lvl 115 (I do know about flowers but that isn't crafted). Wouldn't some lvl 105 crafting recipes with say +1 LoE be reasonable? Getting LoE gear from quest rewards is a long, slow and painful process at times questing solo. Getting LoE gear was a lot easier when Mordor was first released but since the nerf on gear drops it has been a tough slog. As others have said, Mordor isn't as busy as it used to be and will continue to decline as time goes by.

On another note, the ILI system is way to convoluted and not well explained in the game. I know a lot of casual folks who have avoided Imbuement due to the complexity and grind or just plain lack of knowledge. It is disheartening to learn that you SHOUD HAVE "upgraded" your LI BEFORE imbuement i.e. using 3 crystals, shuffling legacies and maxing them out BEFORE Imbueing. All the scrolls and crystals needed can be an immediate discouragement to even attempting to do so. If I had known this would be pretty much a requirement for landscape mobs in the future I would have gritted my teeth and done so. Prior to Mordor it was not necessary. Now my toons are faced with grinding out SA ILI's. Forget FA's, they are only available to a solo player if you are super lucky doing BB's or the one Gondor deed. I get it, FA's and other top end gear were supposed to be rewards for raiding and I'm good with that.

I have gotten a number of my toons to cap in Mordor but have not finished questing there with any of them. I am waiting for the cap to raise before doing any more and look forward to finishing the story line. I learned back during SoA not to "waste" quest xp by doing quests after reaching cap. I have lots of alts to work on until then!

With all the above said, I have not found any class (none of my Beornings are high enough yet) that was unable to solo quest in Mordor, some just easier than others. I am and always will be against forced fellowship questing. I went years without finishing any epic lines because of that and will do so again if it becomes a requirement again.

Good luck and happy adventuring everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngstrike View Post

One huge issue to me about entering Mordor is the lack of any lvl 105 crafted gear. The last recipes available are lvl 100 Anorian and the next available recipes are lvl 115 (I do know about flowers but that isn't crafted). Wouldn't some lvl 105 crafting recipes with say +1 LoE be reasonable? Getting LoE gear from quest rewards is a long, slow and painful process at times questing solo. Getting LoE gear was a lot easier when Mordor was first released but since the nerf on gear drops it has been a tough slog. As others have said, Mordor isn't as busy as it used to be and will continue to decline as time goes ...
    Concerning the LoE gear: it is rather easy to get your hands on some of that really fast: ask a captain to summon you to the watcher statue below Seregost so that you can run the Seregost- instance. At least on my server it is run at level 105 many times a day and you almost always get one or even more pieces of L105 with LoE (+12 I think). Not that they are BIS in any way, but they help for a better start in Mordor.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Hunters have one of best sustained self healing... Why not play blue or yellow? Those are still incredibly strong landscape lines... Just because one line makes better DPS doesnt make it better landscape line.
    Just chipping in that this may have been the case when the content was new but yellow can not do even the start of Mordor at the moment.
    I stop at start of Mordor because I need to make 30-40 000 game gold to get some new legendary items. If my hunter ever plays it, that is.
    I find it unrewarding and unscalable and it will be the finishing line for my time in the game experiencing the content until it gets changed.
    The time to do one landscape field enemy is just too long. I get bored and play something else.

The problem of soloing Mordor, in my experience, is the density of mobs in every important spot of every region... Either you find a way to sneak through it and be extra-careful with pulls or you die, no matter what (level, gear, min-maxed LIs, etc).
    I'm now with my 115 blue LM (quest gear, SA LI with 39-41 legacies) at Talath Urui. I can deal with 3 / 4 mobs, and thus I'm advancing on quests and the Epic, but if I make one single misstep (or get hit by a troll) I get surronded by a dozen... Insta-kill before I can use any CC.
    To confirm my opinion, I entered Udun with a brand-new 105 aria-of-the-valared HE red cappy (gear of the package, new TA LIs [no scrolls, no stars, no relics, no titles, no nothing). The problem is exactly the same, even though I know nothing of the class. I can cope with one / two mobs, but the moment a third appears I'm dead.
    Instead of asking for reducing the ILI grind, or rethinking LOE or whatever, I for one would simply ask the devs to depopulate a bit the particular places needed to advance quests and the Epic. Take the hall of Durthang for instance, more crowded even than Skoironk. Getting inside and reaching the top should be optional, as a raid is. If you manage at it you get extra loot and top-gear, but you may skip it if you just want "ordinary" quests needed to level up enough to continue the Epic.
    Or maybe even simpler. Just re-position mobs in important landmarks so that most of them are gathered in corners/halls/etc, leaving pathways available for us to reach our targets fighting only the reasonable patrols and guards, not the full Mordor encampment.
    I know devs have already left many paths almost anywhere, but they are really, REALLY narrow... ;-)

I totally agree that there should be a tier of crafted Doomfold gear for lvl 110 at least. I suppose if you wait till 115 to hit Mordor, then crafted can be a massive boost. If you ARE a 115 on Crickhollow looking for said boost, and looking for a crafter with skill, materials and recipes, drop a mail to Astelle.

About ILI: you definitely want your legacies set before imbue as post-imbue legacy replace scrolls are rarer than hen's teeth. This includes using remembrance crystal for the extra legacy. You probably want to apply a scroll if Delving as well though all it saves you is a single SoE. However, you definitely do no need to apply SLC or SoE before imbuing. You can apply before of after - same thing. If you imbue with 3 SLCs your main legacy will be 36/53. If you imbue with none, main will be 33/53.

Getting FA: not that hard. I see Blemished Elder King symbols in AH on Crickhollow all the time for 150-200. And I see people offering them on trade channel for like 100 (gotta react fast). If you need an FA crafted, mail me. You will also need 2 emerald shards. (Aldburg QM for 150 Westemnet coins or Skirmish camp crafting vendor for 312/111)

Alternatively, get a buddy or two and do a tour of Middle Earth roving threats. You can knock out a bunch and earn the 50 brands needed for an FA barter fairly quickly.

I agree with the OP, but I'm an altoholic so I figured my way through it. I died a lot to get my hunter, my main, through Mordor. It helped to do every quest in every area. That dropped enough Light (The horrendous return of Radiance) to start the next area. I finally got to 115. The first thing I did was buy the crafting recipes for all my crafter. Then I waited until the other toons were 112 before starting Mordor. I could get to 115 early in Lhingris. Then they stopped, I made 115 armor for them, went back, finished the Epic line and ran way to the newer area.

Hint: do only the epics in North Mirkwood, navigation is worse than in Mordor. Then have fun in Dale-lands, it's ok except for one "solo" instance up the hill from Lake-Town. Ask someone to help you with that, it doesn't take long.

If you're not an altaholic, ask a kinnie for the armor. You'll need to help them at least craft some of the 18 hour cooldown mats, but Mordor is terrible and this is a path through it.

Pro-tip on surviving Mordor:

1) Get to level 106. Doesn't matter how, perhaps you have Host of the West or North Ithilien content to finish, or you can see what quests on Mordor you can survive.

2) Once at level 106, discard ALL of your armor (yes, even the shiney blinky level 105 raid armor with all them gold essences) and replace it with a full set of MATHOM ARMOR!

Yes, that's right: Save them mathom armors from the hobbit presents. You'll need 6 of them.... as they provide no cloak.

At 106 the calculation of stats changes drastically, resulting in pretty much double your stats, double your morale, double everything when donning a full set of 106 Mathom armor. If you have enough to do before Mordor, you may even want to stretch to 107 and then get Mathom armor.

Now enter Mordor..... and slowly start replacing the mathom armor with Mordor quest armor. Yes, also the green stuff.... as you will need the Light of Earandel stats later on in Mordor.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Another pro-tip: if you are a few levels over 105, it might be the time to go looking for those treasure caches. I got a few nice pieces out of them.

Big battles. Yeah not many folks like them, but if you say, see 6-man Pelargir, it may be worth joining. If the leader knows what he is doing, and you get a platinum run, you could come away with some darn nice jewelry.

seriously, the games about as easy as it can get solo.

if you cant be bothered to even put a minimum of effort into researching the bare minimum re: your class or even just doing landscape quests for rewards that will carry you thru all book content really what can anyone say?

the only hard thing about Mordor expansion is that you cant rush it without actually engaging in the areas content.

i dont see why anyone should be enjoying a hello kitty walkthru of the lotr universe for extreme casuals.

Mortem Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by subadar View Post
    seriously, the games about as easy as it can get solo.

if you cant be bothered to even put a minimum of effort into researching the bare minimum re: your class or even just doing landscape quests for rewards that will carry you thru all book content really what can anyone say?

the only hard thing about Mordor expansion is that you cant rush it without actually engaging in the areas content.

i dont see why anyone should be enjoying a hello kitty walkthru of the lotr universe for extreme casuals.
    Wow you seems took zero time to read numerous posts and reply on this subject. Large amount of player base was not ready for the Mordor and they were not given enough resources to do so. If you take a look you will notice that the main struggle is in the group of solo and casual players that doesn't do instances much or at all. They arrived into Mordor with average gear and many just started on LIs. It is only 5 levels from 'having the legendary items that will grow with us' to Mordor, but difference in scrolls is more than 200, and in crystals more than 20, roughly speaking as I didn't bother to calculate. In those 5 levels, some didn't even imbue yet. Many of them just arrived/leveled to 105, that is to say they didn't sit on that level for months and had time to work on LIs like us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirhaen View Post
    Wow you seems took zero time to read numerous posts and reply on this subject. Large amount of player base was not ready for the Mordor and they were not given enough resources to do so. If you take a look you will notice that the main struggle is in the group of solo and casual players that doesn't do instances much or at all. They arrived into Mordor with average gear and many just started on LIs. It is only 5 levels from 'having the legendary items that will grow with us' to Mordor, but difference in scrolls is more than 200, and in crystals more than 20, roughly speaking as I didn't bother to calculate. In those 5 levels, some didn't even imbue yet. Many of them just arrived/leveled to 105, that is to say they didn't sit on that level for months and had time to work on LIs like us.
    Exactly this. I have a lot of alts.... and when they got to 105 I wasn't doing instances day after day to get all their LI stats maxed out, I was able to do that with 1 character, and still working on the second.... the amount of scrolls needed for it is insane, and I don't have that kind of time.

The result is that you have people getting to 105 that are undergeared, underpowered, and may not even have a "gold" first age LI, because they didn't have the required symbol for it. These casual players are going to die many horrible deaths in Mordor.

My "mathom armor" tip WILL help at level 106 to survive, and I do also like the 106 jewelry tip from epic battles.... but don't act that everyone getting to mordor has had months of gearing behind them because they had all their toon maxed to 105 withing a week of that being the max level, and stayed there for a year. There are MANY players still casually leveling up, and mordor is NOT a piece of cake for them.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Exactly this. I have a lot of alts.... and when they got to 105 I wasn't doing instances day after day to get all their LI stats maxed out, I was able to do that with 1 character, and still working on the second.... the amount of scrolls needed for it is insane, and I don't have that kind of time. The result is that you have people getting to 105 that are undergeared, underpowered, and may not even have a "gold" first age LI, because they didn't have the required symbol for it. These casual players are going to die many horrible deaths in Mordor. My "mathom armor" tip WILL help at level 106 to survive, and I do also like the 106 jewelry tip from epic battles.... but don't act that everyone getting to mordor has had months of gearing behind them because they had all their toon maxed to 105 withing a week of that being the max level, and stayed there for a year. There are MANY players still casually leveling up, and mordor is NOT a piece of cake for them.
    I agree. I wasn't even done with N Ithilien when Mordor launched. When I got to Mordor I actually ended up being level 115 but with shoddy 105 gear. Even with the enemies being grey or green they did ridiculous amounts of damage and many simple landscape fights were life or death. Then I traded in some Mathom Chests for some orange equipment. Wow, what a difference. The scaling on that stuff is crazy. Basically every number on my character sheet doubled. It made things much more reasonable as I started to work towards slowly getting some gear with Light.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Quote Originally Posted by Ltngstrike View Post
    One huge issue to me about entering Mordor is the lack of any lvl 105 crafted gear. The last recipes available are lvl 100 Anorian and the next available recipes are lvl 115 (I do know about flowers but that isn't crafted). Wouldn't some lvl 105 crafting recipes with say +1 LoE be reasonable? Getting LoE gear from quest rewards is a long, slow and painful process at times questing solo. Getting LoE gear was a lot easier when Mordor was first released but since the nerf on gear drops it has been a tough slog. As others have said, Mordor isn't as busy as it used to be and will continue to decline as time goes by.
    Gear is probably the biggest problem with Mordor, rather the lack of from level 105-112. LoE is introduced and at first all you are getting is quest reward gear. You hit level 112 and can spend some ash or allegiance tokens. Then you make it to 115 where you have crafted, ash, allegiance to choose from.

* quest gear at various levels
    * gear at 112 you can get from 2 different vendors
    * gear at 115 you have 7 different options (includes crafted and raid)

I really don't understand why we needed so many options at level 115 and such a large gap in options from 105 - 112. This does not even include gear from Northern Mirkwood which is also level 115.
    This is Cyan.
    This is Teal.
    See the difference, Know the difference.

Exactly this. I have a lot of alts.... and when they got to 105 I wasn't doing instances day after day to get all their LI stats maxed out, I was able to do that with 1 character, and still working on the second.... the amount of scrolls needed for it is insane, and I don't have that kind of time.

The result is that you have people getting to 105 that are undergeared, underpowered, and may not even have a "gold" first age LI, because they didn't have the required symbol for it. These casual players are going to die many horrible deaths in Mordor.

My "mathom armor" tip WILL help at level 106 to survive, and I do also like the 106 jewelry tip from epic battles.... but don't act that everyone getting to mordor has had months of gearing behind them because they had all their toon maxed to 105 withing a week of that being the max level, and stayed there for a year. There are MANY players still casually leveling up, and mordor is NOT a piece of cake for them.
    Additionally, at the launch of Mordor, ash gear was dropping from the landscape, blue pieces even. Here and there we would get something class appropriate and the rest was ashed. Then the big camps with mobs started to be heavily farmed and they removed ash gear from the landscape but failed to compensate it with any other means of obtaining piece or two mid level. Unless you wanted to buy keys.

Plus of getting a bit later into Mordor is that you won't spend time and resources on lesser recipes and items like us that started from the launch. I have no idea how many times I geared all over again, thinking that's it until next thing comes along Though I had not much trouble in the Mordor (it very much varied from one class to another), I felt exhausted in the end. Things started to be easier when I entered on second alt as I already knew the drill and was later able to support my lowbies with alts on end level and daily quests for slivers.

Also what's all that with CoS it really escapes me :/ 3 man instance that could be used to get some gear on easy mode and low level as it starts from 105, yet discovery deed barred behind the quest in Agarnaith. Not everyone gonna find high level cappy with the finished quest, willing to go there and summon.

Yeah, me too. I'm getting one character geared up and ready for Mordor, but man, I miss just concentrating on enjoying the content. This is just work, especially the deeding for virtues.

I play to relax, and if LOTRO is just work, what can I say but game=fun, and LOTRO is fast becoming a chore.

Some people are like "L2P or get out", and it just might end up that way with players.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

For LI, see my other thread on this very forum. Gold FA item is purely a vanity thing, final stats FA vs SA vs TA appear same.
    Empo scrolls (at this point) are entirely optional. A legacy at 42 (base unlock) will provide about 19% bonus to a skill. A legacy at 69 does 30% bonus. Essentially something doing 1000 damage will do 1190 with base, 1300 with final. NOT a big deal. Especially physical classes, the crux is starlits. Grind them out via whatever means possible. On my server (Crickhollow) there are plenty on AH roughly 50-60 gold each. Heck, worst comes to worst, get 250 mithril coins for 2000lp and use those.

So many of these threads, with so many players all complaining about Mordor.

And yet, the same advice and the same comments still suffice. I get ya'll like casual play, and awesome, you've got 105 levels of casual play to enjoy, no one is forcing you to do Mordor, if you want to do Mordor unfortunately you've got to change some things. (Please don't come with the excuse the content should be easy so that its available to all. You have, as I said, 105 prior levels and countless number of regions if you want casual play. I will simply come with the excuse why do I have to face roll through 105 levels of content (even with self-nerfing))?

Things that are NOT necessary for Mordor;

• Fully maxed out ILI; Sure, it helps, but the free tiers are more than sufficient. Try your best to get a few anfalas star-lit crystals to try and get as much dps as possible, but I wouldn't bother with empowerments. There are multiple ways of acquiring star-lits, including festivals.
    • Fully maxed out end-game level 105 gear; Given that it's possible to level through the first zone in Mordor on a newly valar'd level 105 lacking trait points and gear, I think casual players will be more than fine once you acquire some quest gear to offset the light. Which means and I should emphasis you won't need 40-odd essences either. Purple essences / yellow mob-drop essences are more than sufficient for your gear.

Things that ARE necessary for Mordor;

• Some general know-how of your class, including all of your skills even those of which you haven't needed to use so much in the past.
    • Some willingness to adapt out of your more traditional trait line / play style once you recognise your current play style isn't working.
    • The ability to recognise that some previously un-needed and not focused upon stats have become extremely relevant in Mordor, such as finesse and making sure you meet the mitigation cap.
    • Willingness to perhaps do some research and put a little effort into your character development.

And I know this may be painful (don't really understand why), to develop some in-game friendships and approach the harder area's with friends rather than alone if you still find yourself struggling (Gasp, what a thought, I know?).
    Last edited by Hephburz-2; Sep 17 2018 at 04:50 AM.

Other than your last point I agree Hephburz-2. Mordor can be soloed. Yes the character needs to bulk up their Finesse and raise their Mits. Yes, Mordor can be done in Green gear and essences. Yes, the player needs to adjust their play style several times for the various areas. As for LIs/ILIs a well developed set is really of help in Mordor.

Mordor made changes in mob and player stats. For players it was the beginning of class re-balance which is still on going.

Is Mordor tough? Yes it is; it was in part by player request that Mordor is as tough as it is. Plus, It Is MORDOR!
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

You are playing an MMO, not a single-player RPG. Either find a friend or put some thought into what you're doing.
    Illydros Squanto Ulricson Saridas Gap

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4