We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Returning player here. I haven't raided since Taurlach was the endgame and lvl 50 was cap. I love Mordor! Sure I die every now and then, mostly because of bad pulls. The game feels dangerous again, you have to think about how you move and always be prepared for surprises. Angmar was the same when the game was new, and that's just how it should be imo. It is the stronghold of big bad satan after all.

I mostly solo, and for the same reasons. I've not played a hunter since about level 80, so can;t speak to hunter specifically. My primary has always been a LM, and at first I found Mordor challenging solo. I've played LM as my main since alpha, through think and thin, because I enjoy the challenge. Getting through Mordor, for me, was all about re-learning how to actually play my class, and earning the gear up-grades to zone offers. Mostly you need to go back to the basics, know your skills, as they currently function, carefully consider the gear upgrades offered via quest completion, and finesse your fights (brute force won't work here). I enjoyed Mordor once I adjusted my thinking.

I bring word from Lord Elrond of Rivendell. An Alliance once existed between Elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together. We come to honor that allegiance.

I wish the dev's all the best in trying to balance the game for the enjoyment of all. I only have this to add to the discussion. If you want only multiplayer content, please try Dungeon and Dragon's Online. That was a major launch by turbine and now owned by ssg that is exclusively multiplayer. It was never the success that they hoped it to be mainly because it is multiplayer only. You can't get out of the starter area without guild help. Solo play does not drive LOTRO, but it does underpin it. Without the solo players LOTRO dies. That means that concessions have to be made. It was always my understanding that the concessions were made in the main story line. That should ALWAYS be solo-able content. Meanwhile there should be a way for groups to get the best gear for raiding and pvp. Deal. This works.

Mordor was a shock to me as well. It was hard on my Red Line hunter. It was even harder the second time through on my RK. I am now seriously worried about trying to take my lm through it solo. But that is my burden to bear. I do like that the difficulty increased to Annoying. It has not approached impossible yet though. I simply had to learn to use different tactics than just pew pew, and learn that dying a lot was part of the game that had disappeared. For my fellow lifers out there, the first year everyone died a LOT and that title you get for making the first 20 levels without dying was a MAJOR accomplishment.

A side note directed to the devs. I HATE with a fury going though a dungeon, getting to the end and not having an exit. I don't think i'm alone in this. One way in and one way out multiple times, having to backtrack each time, or waste a portal is a real turnoff. Look at those who paved the way before you. Notice that doesn't exist anywhere else. Not even in Moria. They either have an exit, or the dungeon is instanced in such a way that you can just leave instance. I saw this make a comeback, but the dungeons were shallow.

Those are my 2 cents and i'll shut up now for the next year or so, lol. Have fun everyone, and remember,
    "Be Excellent to each other!" Bill and Ted
    Fair Winds and Follwing Seas.
    There are other worlds than these.

I (re-)retired from the game because Mordor was so unpleasant (mostly...)(and I was NOT solo-ing.) Only when my kin took a weekly jaunt on a *Legendary* server did I un-(re-)retire... lol SoA was the fun part of the game, Moria: meh, I actually liked Mirkwood a lot (though it was tiny), the rest: bleh. Mordor made me wish I was picking flowers again. I will not return to *end-game* -- the grind is UNBEARABLE.

I solo a lot, and recently I started questing in Limlight Gorge as a level 82 hunter. The enemies are challenging, but they are quite beatable if I kite them (in blue-line).

However, when I got towards the end of the quest chain there, at the point where you have to collect the spider venom glands, I started getting some weird mob behaviour.

Mobs in Limlight Gorge have started to tether, and sometimes completely disappear, when in the middle of a fight. For example, when fighting the Nemesis difficulty spiders, I get to the point where the smaller venomous spiders drop down, and the Nemesis spider straight-up vanishes mid fight. I don't even stray out of the webbed area of floor, so it's not as if I'm straying too far from the spider's spawn point.

I've noticed that if I allow myself to get hit, the spiders hang around for longer. But if I get hit, I quickly die from the poison. Also, other Elite Master difficulty mobs (trolls, hurons, etc.) tether if I take too long to kill them, even if they are right on top of their tether point.

I have reported this to a GM, who then advised that I lodge a bug report, which I did.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate if anyone else could check if they also experience this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    First, congratulations on getting into Mordor as a casual at level 112. I can only imagine the temptation to take off the Stone of the Tortoise during that slog through the Wastes. (Frankly, as a casual, I gave up and turned on XP back in Minas Tirith.) I have some suggestions, nothing too harsh, I promise!

1) Yes, Mordor was set up to get us to lean on the unique tools of our classes more. So, as a Hunter, cheat as much as you can. Drop traps, and back up a little. Bard's Arrow that guy in the back of the spawn. Plan a kiting path like Oelle suggested.
    2) The gear requirement jump is no joke. Fortunately, as a 112, you have options that aren't in Mordor. Take an evening, and go run the Treasure Cache deeds in a nice, safe, non-aggro zone, like Evendim, Misty Mountains, West Gondor, or North Downs. Any class suitable gear you get out of them will be at your level. Poke World Chat, and find someone willing to do a run on one of the lower-stress Big Battles, like Pelargir or Helm's Dike. (Yes those were Wiki links)
    3) When in doubt, get Finesse. yes, it hasn't been useful the ENTIRE REST of the game, but it is of vital importance now. Those Festive Shadow Essence Boxes you get from the Anniversary event, get Finesse essences out of them.
    4) Relax, life will start getting less frustrating as you get gear from the Mordor Quests with Light on it. Can't use it? Feed it to the magic rock you got from the Enchanter in the Udun Stronghold- don't sell it to vendors! Ash can be used to buy gear that fills holes in your loadout.
    I think the OP is trying to say he feels alienated or forced to play content that is harder but in order to complete it, he has to jump through too many hoops to even have a chance to succeed. And I agree with him. My warden had to obtain items with LOE and a few other gear changes ( which were a tideous grind) , just to be in any position to compete. So his frustration is that being his gametime is limited, he finds progression in mordor much harder. Your advice is sound but will take some time but then as a solo player he will get to play solo a good while longer in his search for items to enhance his hunter and in turn be much much more effective in mordor.

Mordor (and parts of the dark forest also) are, sometimes, hard to play for a single person. It's true I think.

But I've read a lot of times it's like they wanted it to be, harder than before so I searched for help and got it. Maybe they want us to get some buffs, maybe it's just because a lot of people cried out loud for harder content.
    Some single-instances are hard, but I took the easiest way with my champion; stay back, level up in another part of Mordor, come back, push the skill tree / gear, burn 'em down.

I don't think it was that damn hard, but yes it was a provocation and challenge to level up and get better.
    In my opinion, the latest content (Erebor, iron hills, grey mountains and so on) is well (a bit better) done, concerning the difficulty.

Cheers to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermistar View Post
    I solo a lot, and recently I started questing in Limlight Gorge as a level 82 hunter. The enemies are challenging, but they are quite beatable if I kite them (in blue-line).

However, when I got towards the end of the quest chain there, at the point where you have to collect the spider venom glands, I started getting some weird mob behaviour.

Mobs in Limlight Gorge have started to tether, and sometimes completely disappear, when in the middle of a fight. For example, when fighting the Nemesis difficulty spiders, I get to the point where the smaller venomous spiders drop down, and the Nemesis spider straight-up vanishes mid fight. I don't even stray out of the webbed area of floor, so it's not as if I'm straying too far from the spider's spawn point.

I've noticed that if I allow myself to get hit, the spiders hang around for longer. But if I get hit, I quickly die from the poison. Also, other Elite Master difficulty mobs (trolls, hurons, etc.) tether if I take too long to kill them, even if they are right on top of their tether point.

I have reported this to a GM, who then advised that I lodge a bug report, which I did.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate if anyone else could check if they also experience this problem.
    these spiders are doing exactly the same thing to me. I pew pew the big 200k+ spiders, they drop 2 little ones, I kill those, but as soon as I touch the big one again, it vanishes, if I try to shoot the big one, before shooting the little ones, it also vanishes. not sure what this things problem is hehe. i killed everything else for the venomous culprit quest, but I need to kill each of these big 200k ones for the bloated venom-glands & they are impossible to kill because they keep poofing hehe.

am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug that still hasn't been fixed 2 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    The data I've seen shows that most players are able to complete the Black Book, which tells me that the difficulty for those quests is tuned pretty well. But allow me to ease your mind: given my eternal need for certainty, I've been keeping my eyes on the forums and in-game since they released, which is why whenever I see a specific issue concerning BBoM I leap into action. If there are specific issues with particular landscape quests, be sure to file bug reports on those and the other designers should similarly follow suit. Worry not!

MoL
    This isn't a rant MoL, but rather myself sharing a different point of view on what I see as the real "burning paper bag on the porch" in regards to Mordor. It's not about difficulty.

Perhaps SSG only understands a partial picture. I WON'T even start the Black Book because I genuinely don't want to play in the virtual region of Mordor. Period. I wonder how many others share a similar opinion? The challenge was fun, the aspect of having to overcome the dread a brilliant game design feature. But in a way that's the problem itself. It's about the doom, the gloom, the despair of the region itself. Not all players are willing to play a game through a zone such as this. Mirkwood? south and north fine. Lone Lands? Sure. North Western North Downs? Nope. Angmar? Never again. I repeat never again, not even to unlock book 6. I for one am sick and tired of the doom and gloom, yet I LOVE the areas of Middle Earth that are not full of decay, death, and degeneracy. I played through twice, never again, and I no longer see a point to the higher level content because it assumes you have already "been there, done that" and is based on it. Is there a way to bypass Mordor for leveling and gear? as I understand it... not really.

Does your data show this side of the coin concerning what content players are willing to participate in? Or is your search for data so refined towards who completes Mordor that SSG does not evaluate who is playing the game to Minas Tirith/Mordor and stopping? As this new LI system is launched can my comments be kept in mind if it's not already too late? (no need to reply, if you read all this I am content.)

In the end, you, the Devs, will create what content that generally follows the books as you see fit. That's what Devs do. All I ask as a player and customer is to remember to keep an eye on the data for those of us who choose NOT to play regions like Mordor, and perhaps help us to avoid them if the story allows it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gardavil View Post
    I WON'T even start the Black Book because I genuinely don't want to play in the virtual region of Mordor. Period.
    Then it's clearly not for you, but there are plenty of regions (and festivals, and other quest chains) for you to enjoy. Might I recommend the Ballad of Bingo Boffin?

There are some dangerous areas of Middle-earth full of doom and gloom, just as there were in the book, and if that's where the story takes us that's where the story takes us... but we're also very aware that it's not for everybody, and we're trying to provide a good variety of mood and atmosphere as we go forward. I think you'll be pleased.

MoL

I encourage all the occasional players to become raider does not need to be a pro to have an improved team of raid remo I have it with my 2 player and I am not a pro and I have finished the current 3 raid the solution is not to be occasional does not need to do t3 to have a good team with 2 can go well and you do not need to be a pro and the same my brother with his warden and neither is pro

Quote Originally Posted by gardavil View Post
    This isn't a rant MoL, but rather myself sharing a different point of view on what I see as the real "burning paper bag on the porch" in regards to Mordor. It's not about difficulty.

Perhaps SSG only understands a partial picture. I WON'T even start the Black Book because I genuinely don't want to play in the virtual region of Mordor. Period. I wonder how many others share a similar opinion? The challenge was fun, the aspect of having to overcome the dread a brilliant game design feature. But in a way that's the problem itself. It's about the doom, the gloom, the despair of the region itself. Not all players are willing to play a game through a zone such as this. Mirkwood? south and north fine. Lone Lands? Sure. North Western North Downs? Nope. Angmar? Never again. I repeat never again, not even to unlock book 6. I for one am sick and tired of the doom and gloom, yet I LOVE the areas of Middle Earth that are not full of decay, death, and degeneracy. I played through twice, never again, and I no longer see a point to the higher level content because it assumes you have already "been there, done that" and is based on it. Is there a way to bypass Mordor for leveling and gear? as I understand it... not really.

Does your data show this side of the coin concerning what content players are willing to participate in? Or is your search for data so refined towards who completes Mordor that SSG does not evaluate who is playing the game to Minas Tirith/Mordor and stopping? As this new LI system is launched can my comments be kept in mind if it's not already too late? (no need to reply, if you read all this I am content.)

In the end, you, the Devs, will create what content that generally follows the books as you see fit. That's what Devs do. All I ask as a player and customer is to remember to keep an eye on the data for those of us who choose NOT to play regions like Mordor, and perhaps help us to avoid them if the story allows it. Thanks.
    I understand what you mean, just playing through the BBoM through the region, I felt choked, could never do more then 2/3 quests at a time. There is a way around Mordor and that is doing every quest in the regions before. You can even skip Wastes which isn't much better, just make sure you finish the epic. Throw in some dailies in MT and NIthilien. I had a character at 110 doing all that and at that level you can go to NMirkwood. I love the BB, so playing just that part through Mordor no matter how gloomy is part of my routine.
    There are also missions you can use to skip. You need the 115 Mordor gear though, crafting or motes can solve that problem.

Then it's clearly not for you, but there are plenty of regions (and festivals, and other quest chains) for you to enjoy. Might I recommend the Ballad of Bingo Boffin?

There are some dangerous areas of Middle-earth full of doom and gloom, just as there were in the book, and if that's where the story takes us that's where the story takes us... but we're also very aware that it's not for everybody, and we're trying to provide a good variety of mood and atmosphere as we go forward. I think you'll be pleased.

MoL
    MoL:
    It is Sunday at 10:43 AM and you are responding to a forum thread!

As always, you are awesome!

(And, please, do turn off LotRO. We need you to be fresh and rested on Monday morning, ready to battle "bugs" as you lead us into further adventures.)

Regards
    Aurora7
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure, that just ain't so." Mark Twain

MoL
    Mordor isn't worth it, but not for the mood. It's one of the more recent areas created with poor navigating in order to have us spend time getting around, saving the developer from having to spend a lot of time thinking about interesting content.

As for Bingo, it is worth doing, once per home a player has. After all, while it's also another time waste, it has a wonderful hatrack as a reward. That's worth it.

In defense of MoL, not that he needs to be defended, Mordor in the book and the lore is a shattered, broken, poisoned land. Mordor should be hazardous and hard to navigate, it is a land where everything wants to kill you. A land that has been the place of residence of the most evil character in the land, for thousands of years. If you think Mordor is hard now, think what it would have been like when first released, before the nerf.

Mordor is soloable, you just need to operate a little differently, think what you need to do and then figure out how to do it Mordor style.
    Ujest - 130 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 105 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Froyo_K_Baggins View Post
    Mordor isn't worth it, but not for the mood. It's one of the more recent areas created with poor navigating in order to have us spend time getting around, saving the developer from having to spend a lot of time thinking about interesting content.

As for Bingo, it is worth doing, once per home a player has. After all, while it's also another time waste, it has a wonderful hatrack as a reward. That's worth it.
    Continuing what Gandolf_the_old said, outside of the lore reason, it being worth it or not is very subjective. The Black Book of Mordor arguably has one of the more interesting storylines I've seen among most MMOs, almost at par with KOTFE and Warframe's Second Dream/The Sacrifice. It explores a situation most if any games generally do not explore: the Aftermath.

The ensuing politics and dividing of Mordor between the masters not only expands and adds flavor to an otherwise never fleshed out region, but is a realistic representation of what actually does happen after a major power/leader falls, i.e. the dissolution of the HRE, the end of the Western Roman Empire, the Three Kingdoms, etc.

The backtracking, while annoying, does in a way make sense from the way the plot was constructed. The quest lines in each region (and every region after) is a nice touch of lore + world building which we haven't seen them do in a long time as the previous regions generally revolved around the more talked about or more fleshed out world (Gondor).

And yes it is soloable, it forces u to actually pay attention instead of button smashing.

All of this literally trumps one fat hobbit who, and no offence to whoever wrote him, should have drowned when he tried to swim. Who's only character development is: Fat and how are u still alive?

But again, this too ^^ is opiniontaed. So yes, it is subjective, like all opinions but it would be difficult to say that the former has more nuance than the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath247 View Post
    Continuing what Gandolf_the_old said, outside of the lore reason, it being worth it or not is very subjective. The Black Book of Mordor arguably has one of the more interesting storylines I've seen among most MMOs, almost at par with KOTFE and Warframe's Second Dream/The Sacrifice. It explores a situation most if any games generally do not explore: the Aftermath.

The ensuing politics and dividing of Mordor between the masters not only expands and adds flavor to an otherwise never fleshed out region, but is a realistic representation of what actually does happen after a major power/leader falls, i.e. the dissolution of the HRE, the end of the Western Roman Empire, the Three Kingdoms, etc.

The backtracking, while annoying, does in a way make sense from the way the plot was constructed. The quest lines in each region (and every region after) is a nice touch of lore + world building which we haven't seen them do in a long time as the previous regions generally revolved around the more talked about or more fleshed out world (Gondor).

And yes it is soloable, it forces u to actually pay attention instead of button smashing.

All of this literally trumps one fat hobbit who, and no offence to whoever wrote him, should have drowned when he tried to swim. Who's only character development is: Fat and how are u still alive?

But again, this too ^^ is opiniontaed. So yes, it is subjective, like all opinions but it would be difficult to say that the former has more nuance than the latter.
    BBoM is the only questing I do these days through Mordor because it is one of the greatest stories the game tells. I wish I could have picked up Lay of Rust and Ryme but I must have missed something questing. I know I did all the quests named prerequisite. While the feel of the land is as it should be I spend as little time there as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    In defense of MoL, not that he needs to be defended, Mordor in the book and the lore is a shattered, broken, poisoned land. Mordor should be hazardous and hard to navigate, it is a land where everything wants to kill you. A land that has been the place of residence of the most evil character in the land, for thousands of years. If you think Mordor is hard now, think what it would have been like when first released, before the nerf.

Mordor is soloable, you just need to operate a little differently, think what you need to do and then figure out how to do it Mordor style.
    This exactly! I can't say I enjoyed Mordor the way I enjoy most of the rest of the game, but for me, it fit the lore perfectly, and I enjoyed it's difficulty and darkness for what it was--an integral part of the story. I spent a lot of time there on deeds, rep and repeatables (for the deeds). Like the saying goes, you appreciate spring more because of winter--getting to Wilderland was like Lothlorien after Moria. I would never want Moria or Mordor changed. Both are easily skipped if you don't like them.
    My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. ~Thornton Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by Knuttard View Post
    Returning player here. I haven't raided since Taurlach was the endgame and lvl 50 was cap. I love Mordor! Sure I die every now and then, mostly because of bad pulls. The game feels dangerous again, you have to think about how you move and always be prepared for surprises. Angmar was the same when the game was new, and that's just how it should be imo. It is the stronghold of big bad satan after all.
    I remember people wanting to see the game get tougher to play again..

Mordor was promised to be tougher for sure and it was/is.

Welcome back to the game. You picked the perfect time to return. There is so much to do.
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and despair

[QUOTE=wrath247;8093253]All of this literally trumps one fat hobbit who, and no offence to whoever wrote him, should have drowned when he tried to swim. /QUOTE]

Can't really argue with that, but the hatrack is still great

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    This exactly! I can't say I enjoyed Mordor the way I enjoy most of the rest of the game, but for me, it fit the lore perfectly, and I enjoyed it's difficulty and darkness for what it was--an integral part of the story. I spent a lot of time there on deeds, rep and repeatables (for the deeds). Like the saying goes, you appreciate spring more because of winter--getting to Wilderland was like Lothlorien after Moria. I would never want Moria or Mordor changed. Both are easily skipped if you don't like them.
    And that's one thing I like about the game. I skipped it on my housing alt. The long, long, ride around landscape to get to Northern Mirkwood let me again see the one thing constantly great about the game: the wonderful artists. Great landscape.

Now Mordor is on sale and I'm not even interested in going back to it.

As for Mordor's darkness, read "The Last Ringbearer". A Russian's revisiting the story. Wonderful.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5