We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Solo play getting troublesome...

I would like to share some thoughts...

I subscribed to LOTRO 11 years ago, bought a lifetime membership.
    Most of te times, I play solo.
    In the beginning there were some (book) quests which had to be done in a fellowship.
    After sometime, those quests were adjusted. In solo play you got a bonus...

What bothers me is this... since the introduction of Mordor there are some (book) questlines, intended in solo play, which are impossible in solo play.

That is... unless you make a studie of all kinds of boosts and other stuff...

Point is, in de sparse time I have, I like to play solo...I don't have the time, not the interest, to go crafting or do al kind of research on the internet to max out my character so I am able to do a quest line.

To tell it in a short way, the way gameplay has changed, affects my enjoyment of the game. very much...
    Anyone sharing those feelings...

I mean. I really enjoy playing. Also in Mordor en Dale etc. But I get sick of a questline which I follow just to end up in a SOLO quest or instance which is impossible...

Just sharing some thoughts...

Martin

Wyrdriel, Hunter lvl 115

As a hunter, you shouldnt have those issues. Usually, you can win all fights by just kiting the enemy in blue or yellow traitline.
    As long as you keep mobile, melees cant hit you. And you have several slows to make it even harder for them.
    better equipment just allows more fails, doesnt really change anything for a mobile ranged class, as long as he faces melee enemies.
    and ranged enemies are rare enough to not really have issues either... usually there's just one of them at once or two. If two, you can CC one and burst the other down.
    Yep. since mordor, enemies hit back. but that shouldnt really be an issue for a hunter.

If it was about RK or Champ or any other either immobile or melee class, equipment would matter much more.
    Or do you play your hunter in landscape in red line? Then, I'd understand your issues. Redline is about high damage and nothing else. If damage is too low, because of bad equipment, enemies kill you... but thats just because its immobile. And even that can be countered by using the right skills. however, thats much easier in blue or yellow.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

First, congratulations on getting into Mordor as a casual at level 112. I can only imagine the temptation to take off the Stone of the Tortoise during that slog through the Wastes. (Frankly, as a casual, I gave up and turned on XP back in Minas Tirith.) I have some suggestions, nothing too harsh, I promise!

1) Yes, Mordor was set up to get us to lean on the unique tools of our classes more. So, as a Hunter, cheat as much as you can. Drop traps, and back up a little. Bard's Arrow that guy in the back of the spawn. Plan a kiting path like Oelle suggested.
    2) The gear requirement jump is no joke. Fortunately, as a 112, you have options that aren't in Mordor. Take an evening, and go run the Treasure Cache deeds in a nice, safe, non-aggro zone, like Evendim, Misty Mountains, West Gondor, or North Downs. Any class suitable gear you get out of them will be at your level. Poke World Chat, and find someone willing to do a run on one of the lower-stress Big Battles, like Pelargir or Helm's Dike. (Yes those were Wiki links)
    3) When in doubt, get Finesse. yes, it hasn't been useful the ENTIRE REST of the game, but it is of vital importance now. Those Festive Shadow Essence Boxes you get from the Anniversary event, get Finesse essences out of them.
    4) Relax, life will start getting less frustrating as you get gear from the Mordor Quests with Light on it. Can't use it? Feed it to the magic rock you got from the Enchanter in the Udun Stronghold- don't sell it to vendors! Ash can be used to buy gear that fills holes in your loadout.
    Last edited by Seschat; May 13 2018 at 02:54 PM.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

For some it was the years of easy landscape game play that spoiled our enjoyment and Mordor difficulty was a blessing.

I'd agree if you can't spend time or money on lotro then Mordor isn't going to work out. MMOs are about grind if you want to progress your character. SSG provide a money option now, buy Black Steel Keys and open Gorgoroth loot boxes for gear. Buy MC to max out weapons.

That's what SSG want you to do. Don't want to grind? Then pay.

Any kin hunters you can ask for some pointers?

Mac
    See my Lotro gaming videos:
    Macdui on Youtube.

if you must solo and dont want to grind gear,which is very easy to do solo, but i digress, all you have to do is make it thru mordor by following the epic. Once you hit mirkwood you're home free to easy solo again. if thats what you want.

Mortem Tyrannis

Quote Originally Posted by MartinEhlert View Post

In the beginning there were some (book) quests which had to be done in a fellowship.

What bothers me is this... since the introduction of Mordor there are some (book) questlines, intended in solo play, which are impossible in solo play.

Point is, in de sparse time I have, I like to play solo...I don't have the time, not the interest, to go crafting or do al kind of research on the internet to max out my character so I am able to do a quest line.

To tell it in a short way, the way gameplay has changed, affects my enjoyment of the game. very much...

I mean. I really enjoy playing. Also in Mordor en Dale etc. But I get sick of a questline which I follow just to end up in a SOLO quest or instance which is impossible...

Martin

Wyrdriel, Hunter lvl 115
    My wife plays a hunter and had the exact same experience. I couldn't do the solo instances with her and these solo instances almost got her to quit playing. My guard had no problem with these quests even though they were much slower without her.

We went back and did what quests and deeds she could do in the Northlands to get the lakes and rivers tokens. Then she bartered for jewlery, armor and essences to improve her build. She was then able to go back and do the solo instances.

Not sure this is much help, but you certainly aren't the only one to experience this. So there might be gear you can get that will help you proceed. It is a bit of a grind, but doable.

Good luck

Martin

Wyrdriel, Hunter lvl 115
    I completely understand what you mean. It was never that hard to get from one xpac into the next just with questing gear. Essences, ILIs, and the complete change of required stats with the difficulty increase of Mordor had me level outside of Mordor and in ash raids which are no longer available. I have long been of the opinion that especially solo only instances should be tuned to the lowest common denominator. It is really frustrating not to be able to finish a quest chain because of that.

Martin

Wyrdriel, Hunter lvl 115
    I am so happy that I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check