We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Give captains a Dps stance in red line? Toggle it on and all buffs become self only buffs and a % increase in dps. Similar to Dissonance stance for Minstrels.

Would allow better dps for soloing/questing whilst still retaining full buff abilities in a raid when toggled off.

Too exploitable for it to be a toggle unless you give captains something similar to Champs to build fervor and have the gain of (x thing) to increase DPS % done but lowers group buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellCommunity View Post
    Too exploitable for it to be a toggle unless you give captains something similar to Champs to build fervor and have the gain of (x thing) to increase DPS % done but lowers group buffs.
    Yes i see what you mean. Maybe putting a 1-2 minute or so cool down on the toggle would work? or maybe a click skill that lasts 5-10 minutes and increases dps but making buffs self only.

Just some random ideas

I think it's time to phase out the heralds and incorporate their skills/bonuses into the captain. What do we do with the pets, anyways? They don't go do the fighting for us with us buffing them or debuffing mobs; they just hang around with our '-brother' skill on them (unless we're in a fellowship) and plink away at the enemy, getting killed more often than not and necessitating wasting cooldowns to recall them. Or they follow the wrong path to get to us and drag along extra mobs. And the models are not great.

Instead, we could have an aura/stance/whatever that gives us the stat bonuses of the heralds + brother skills and which each unlock pertinent skills depending on the type of aura (hope,victory,war). Restrict cooldown of changing the aura to out-of-combat and make switch time the same as summoning a herald. Then you only have to apply a brother skill if you're in a fellowship, since the bonus is already on you when you have the stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabani View Post
    1. Blue line need to be fixed. In general it should be possible to soloheal any 3 or 6 man instances and keep a raid group alive. There are a lot of outdated and simply not working traits and skills.
    I agree. Blue line isn't playable (solo and group). The heal spells are so low that you have mostly no effect, only if they crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdimael01 View Post
    I think it's time to phase out the heralds and incorporate their skills/bonuses into the captain. What do we do with the pets, anyways? They don't go do the fighting for us with us buffing them or debuffing mobs; they just hang around with our '-brother' skill on them (unless we're in a fellowship) and plink away at the enemy, getting killed more often than not and necessitating wasting cooldowns to recall them. Or they follow the wrong path to get to us and drag along extra mobs. And the models are not great.

Instead, we could have an aura/stance/whatever that gives us the stat bonuses of the heralds + brother skills and which each unlock pertinent skills depending on the type of aura (hope,victory,war). Restrict cooldown of changing the aura to out-of-combat and make switch time the same as summoning a herald. Then you only have to apply a brother skill if you're in a fellowship, since the bonus is already on you when you have the stance.
    I agree, Heralds are nearly worthless, except as a target for Brother skill.

I always feel that my issues with my captain stem from my own ignorance, But if I had my way:
    Better DPS overall. It takes (me) too long to kill things.
    Better heals, particularly in Blue line. I think we should be able to heal a 3 man.
    Do something about heralds- Either make them useful, or get rid of them. I would prefer the latter, but since they have been part of the captain's makeup since the beginning, I'd settle for a revamp.

I will be the first to admit I might be doing something wrong, but I was out dps'ed by a guardian yesterday. He is probably a better player, But it still doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by smirkboy View Post
    I will be the first to admit I might be doing something wrong, but I was out dps'ed by a guardian yesterday. He is probably a better player, But it still doesn't seem right.
    Guardians have an outright DPS spec. Captains only have a DPS support spec.
    ~ The devs don't want to balance classes, what chance did I have ~

I'd support an alternative option to heralds, because I'm also not a huge fan of them, but I'm not sure I see them being totally removed. There would be those few people who really like them and would make a fuss about it. If they totally removed them, they'd have to have stuff that makes up for it, but I'm not sure what the best course of action would be. A stance that provides different buffs could work alright, along with being able to use the brother skill regardless of not having a target for it. Though if that was all they did then we'd be out any sort of consistent ranged attack, and also we'd lose that small heal that the banner-men can give to you. It's not big, but it has saved me in a pinch a few times and I wouldn't want to lose it totally. Though if healing is scaled well then that ability would be less of an issue. They could always let us equip bows if all heralds are gone, so that we'd have that consistent ranged ability again if needed, though the stats from standards would be better in most cases so judgement would have to be made.

From an opposing viewpoint I've seen suggestions here and there about herald damage being increased significantly as a primary damage source to help the solo captain. Personally I hope that isn't how they approach it though. Heralds are more of a small bonus to captain rather than being something that captain relies on to properly fight like a true pet class.

My suggestions are:

- Heralds (Pet): Huge damage increase (red), mitigations (all three especially yellow), morale (all three especially yellow and blue) and some extra utility. Red Line has a related trait for Armour debuff. Blue could have some heal and Yellow output damage debuff for enemies.

- Brother's Call (three lines): 2m cd to 45sec

- Blue:
    >Hands of Healing (Blue line tree effect on every Captain Healing skill, 10% chance to +... Morale Cooldown: 1s) Increase the proc chance by 30%.
    >Elendil's Favour make Blade of Elendil light damage heal for the same amount.
    >Gallant Display healing done and damage done increase > Reduce Rallying Strike 1s per hit.
    >Standard of Honour need proc with critical rating/magnitude and scale with mastery.
    >Valour 5 stacks guaranteed crit to any healing skill and remove the AoE burst heal.
    >Reform the Lines! HoT > Burst
    >All healing skills need and increase of at least 20%.

- Red:
    >Master of War should also guarantee Tactical crit.
    >Elendil's Fortune change Blade of Elendil Light Damage for Bleed Damage.
    >Remove Restraint Trait
    >Tactician (New trait, replace Restraint): Enemies affected by Cutting Attack increase your Physical/Tactical mastery by 1/2/3% per tick (30% max, 15 sec buff) Blade Brother can receive this buff.
    >All damage skills need and increase of at least 20%.

- Yellow:
    >Call Them Out: While Cutting Wound and Grave Wound at the same time are on cd increase your Block/Parry by 1/2/3/4/5% for 10 sec.
    >In Harm's Way: Rework skill>Increase allies damage reduction by 0/10/20% for 15 sec. Cost 40% of your max Morale.
    >Elendil's Boon: While the light of Elendil buff is active you have 1% extra damage reduction per target affected (5 max) for 8 sec.
    >Elendil's Fury 5 stacks put you on Battle readied state. (replace defeat Event)
    Last edited by Uminel; Jun 12 2018 at 12:24 PM.

Captains either need to be a pet class or a non-pet class, because the halfway thing we are now is weird and doesn't really work.

Either eliminate heralds or go full pet class and be like a mastermind from City of Heroes with three soldiers that do all the fighting and most of our abilities buff those soldiers. You could choose like three heavy infantry for tanking, or three archers for glass cannon damage, or a mix. Part of that could be powerful personal melee strikes that heal/buff/debuff, for example, as well as maintaining our calls/cries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahdimael01 View Post
    Captains either need to be a pet class or a non-pet class, because the halfway thing we are now is weird and doesn't really work.

Either eliminate heralds or go full pet class and be like a mastermind from City of Heroes with three soldiers that do all the fighting and most of our abilities buff those soldiers. You could choose like three heavy infantry for tanking, or three archers for glass cannon damage, or a mix. Part of that could be powerful personal melee strikes that heal/buff/debuff, for example, as well as maintaining our calls/cries.
    While that sounds fun, I think they'd need to take a real long, hard look at pathing in the game. Heralds have been notoriously bad at this for as long as I can remember. I do think the archer herald needs a boost at the very least.
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    While that sounds fun, I think they'd need to take a real long, hard look at pathing in the game. Heralds have been notoriously bad at this for as long as I can remember. I do think the archer herald needs a boost at the very least.
    Agreed; the simplest thing would be for heralds not to pull mobs unless specifically directed to.

Reading this thread I'm getting worried that they might listen and actually buff and rework yellow and redline. Yellow and red captain is at the moment extremely strong, captain is one of the few classes that has 2 strong traitlines for all group content. There is no need to reduce cooldowns and give major dps buffs, that would be too OP. We are already seeing raids with 3 captains.

The changes I want too see.

Red
    Give the captain the ability to switch between 2 stances. This could be by using different pets, skills, gear etc. Or changing how some of the buffs work to make different rotations good for different group setups. For example 1 stance would give every group member +5% damage and the other would give the captain +30% damage. Not worth it in raids but in landscape.

Yellow
    Would like to see a nerf that force captains to use a proper rotation. At the the moment we can pretty much use 3 skills to stay on battle hardened and then use an emergancy skill when needed. No need to buff force taunt or anything else, except for heals.

Blue
    It has to be decided if blue captain is a healer or support healer. Maybe its possible to make both a thing depending on how you trait. But it needs buffs no matter what.

I would prefer a support healer that is a weaker version of yellow or redline while still being able to give decent heals. Spending points in blue when traited red or yellow should also give big improvments to heals depending on how far down in blue you go.

If it's decided that blue should be a proper healer it needs major buffs. It needs to be able to heal a tank + a group just like a ministrel. From what I've seen, the skills themself don't need big changes. Just need to buff the numbers up so that the skills actually heal.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump.

I've been updating my original list from time to time, but wanted to make a more comprehensive list taking onboard all feedback from this thread for the attention of devs moving into 2019. Before doing so, just wanted to hear from as many players (whether you are new to the class or a veteran).

Again there no right/wrong answers - just want to hear from as many active players as possible
    Knight | Captain | Arkenstone

I think captain red and yellow line are in a great spot right now for group play. Blue line goes completely unused as our heals haven't scaled up. Some concrete feedback/ideas:

Pets:

1) Buff archer dps significantly.

Captain solo dps is painful, but it brings a lot of group utility so you can't simply buff the captain's damage. If you buff archer dps significantly it'll help during solo without affecting group play as you'll use a herald in fellowships.

2) Change Herald of Victory Bonus. (Or just remove him from the game if you don't want to give us three choices.)

Compared to herald of war and herald of hope, the herald of victory is useless. (Or perhaps we can rename him Herald of Defeat? lol)

3) Make Heralds sturdier.

It's no fun constantly having to re-summon these guys in group play. In the past we used to place a banner on the field that couldn't die instead of using our heralds. We're forced to use the heralds now but they never got beefed up to compensate.

Blue line:

1) Scale up the healing, especially melee skills

Our healing output hasn't changed much since level 95.

2) Nerf revealing mark to 10%

15% is too strong. You've basically got invincible dps in group play.

3) Swap song brother with shield brother.

If I'm healing I want to buff my tank. Yet I get song-brother to buff a healer? If there was another healer I wouldn't be healing!

(Giving song brother to yellow capt would be fine for small group play where they can buff their healer and make them less OP in raids where a capt already can mitigate a lot of damage.)

4) Standard of Honour is laughable. It's like 500 morale heal every second, so a total of 15k over 30s. It's a good example of something that hasn't scaled since 95.

5) Make reform the lines less costly.

It's an emergency skill on a 2m cd but it takes 30% of your own morale. I haven't played blue line in a long time as it's just not viable currently but from what I remember the emergency healing was usually required for myself, so I rarely touched this skill. Or we need some sort of self healing as all our heals cost morale and we have to be in melee range to use our skills.

Legacies:

Captain has a lot of % bonuses which is great. The rating legacies however only gain +100 per rank, which is not durable scaling as our stats scale exponentially. For example the + PA/DB crit rating legacy now maxes at 7800, that's less than a purple crit essence. At 115 +7300 was still well over the worth of a golden essence. By not increasing in value much these legacies are relatively losing value. This problem exists for all classes though and is not specific to captain, at some point in the near future the rating legacies are all going to be pointless. Either they need to be changed to % bonuses or have the scaling of their ratings fixed.

1) Cry power cost & Melee power cost

These are % bonuses legacies but please merge them together into one legacy. Even then I doubt anyway will think it's worthy of a legacy slot as capt simply has no power issues at all. Maybe the power issue should be addressed? I used to have to manage my power but there was an update in the past which basically removed it from the game. You never run out of power now and it has rendered fate a completely useless stat.

2) idome legacy gives +1 stat per rank

I mean +1, really?

Quote Originally Posted by smegullol View Post
    Yellow and red captain is at the moment extremely strong.
    I'm going to have to stop you there for just a moment, but are we playing the same game?
    As a buffing class, our value comes from making other classes shine brighter - by ourselves, we're the (2nd most?) challenging solo class in the game.

Pros
    - We are outstanding Single-Target tanks
    - The value of a captain multiplies with every player in range of his buffs
    - We can keep players in the fight with mid-combat revives
    - We can summon members to rally outside of a raid or a dungeon, or even just to farm in company

Cons
    - Our archers/heralds don't do enough damage to warrant having them help in combat
    - Our own damage is lackluster
    - Our heals have not scaled at all since Mordor. +4,000 morale Rallying Cry at level 120? Wow, really turning the tides of battle, guys!
    - Unless equipped ahead of time, or making liberal use of Inspire, it is indeed possible to drain one's self of Power quite quickly.
    - Our rotation is clunky and jarring at times, with some abilities feeling redundant (Example, Cutting Attack & Grave Wound being 95% identical and having 20s cooldowns)

Suggestions
    "Field Commander"
    Let us truly embrace the role of captain and let us summon more than one bodyguard/underling once we hit the bottom of our Trait Trees
    - (Red) Archer/Herald - or - Two Archers (Solving the landscape damage problem)
    - (Blue) Archer/Herald - or - Wound Tender/Herald (Walks up to and administers battlefield salves and tinctures to aid in the healing)
    - (Yellow) Shield-Bearer/Herald - or - Two Shield-bearers (Minions with a "shield-wall" passive that buffs the captain when they're near)

"Lead By Example"
    Let us ditch the Heralds/Minions in favor of auras/battle commands, passives and active buffs that increase our damage and the damage of others.
    - (Red) +40% Passive damage buff that gets weaker the more players it affects (We're capable solo, and still helpful in a group)
    - (Blue) +35% Passive AoE heal that gets weaker the more players it affects (Standing around a legendary captain should be inspiring, should it not?)
    - (Yellow) Passive aura that increases our resists the more enemies are focused on us (Incentivizes captains to taunt hordes of boss minions, great off-tank passive)

You could even let players choose which one of these trees they'd like to go down, increasing the variety of Captains and adding a lot of flavor to the class.
    *Captains who have no trouble with the AI pathing and like to feel like they're in a party even while solo can become Field Commanders
    *Captains who engage in more group content or who just hate having Heralds can drop them and Lead by Example
    "The hands of the east stretch out to take you."

The limitation in captains IMO, considering we are primary support, is that Red-Blue is the obvious road to go as it contributes significantly to damage and off-heals. Having a second captain in the group, the question becomes: do we need a tank? If not, you'll get a blue captain for the extra buffs. That's when the bad things start. a Red-Blue captain has almost the same blue buffs as a blue captain, while the reverse is not true. Yellow as secondary traitline just doesn't offer any decent group buffs unless you want to go all the way down to banner and pick up all the useless stuff along the way.

My biggest fear is that they will tear apart captains fully, where we loose the buffs to instead only be healer, dps or tank. Let us remain primary buffers, and have valid off-roles.

More group buff options in the lower tiers of yellow line.
    Banners that no longer share a cooldown
    Decision regarding heralds
    Capstone Blue Buffs on par with Dunedain shield
    Significant blue banner buff on top of the poor heal.
    Unique new traitline barred buffs? Perhaps marks being tied to traitlines?

Yellow captain is fine.
    Red captain is mostly fine, though the OBs 3-minute cooldown is a big nerf to a signature skill. 3 minutes, really?

A couple of points:

I use heralds quite a lot on landscape as damage or cc sponges, as well as a source for x-brother buffs. If heralds remain, their damage should be meaningful - say a bit less than a mid-range LM pet like a bog-lurker or eagle. Then the red line's herald buff traits would really become a useful solo trait line option, along the lines of the blue LM's.

I've met ONE captain (Fearendur) who can successfully main-heal t2 6-mans. Blue captain should absolutely get buffs to skills to make them more viable healers in groups. This should include 1 or 2 crisis management heals including a one-off AOE spike heal like Triumphant Spirit or Roar. A panic button as a capstone that costs so much morale (Reform the Lines) is sheer idiocy - the group is dying, and in order to save them the captain's panic skill fails because he doesn't have enough morale, or he dies in any case?
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Hi guys, I'm fairly new tp the Captain I asked my self if I'm missing the Outgoing damage buff, or if its buggy/wrong description.
    Gertes

Quote Originally Posted by Gertes View Post
    Hi guys, I'm fairly new tp the Captain I asked my self if I'm missing the Outgoing damage buff, or if its buggy/wrong description.
    I think it's just a bad description. I don't remember the forced crits in red-line ever giving any additional buffs.

Does anybody ever use the Herald of Victory? (Power cost reduced) I feel like out of the three bannermen this is by far the most useless one since power is usually not a group wide issue, and captains never have a need for it solo. If heralds ever get their proper buff to become useful again I think this one should really just totally be replaced. With Captain having pretty low AOE I think a melee champion type herald might be a nice replacement for this one, and a good alternative to the archer when we don't need range or single target damage as much. It would make solo play more enjoyable.

I got to thinking more about heralds because I just rolled a new Captain and in the lower levels the archer herald really does a good amount of damage and is quite useful, not to mention a lot of fun having one. Really makes me wish that it was just as useful at level cap and worth investing points to buff up in our trait trees.

In a short summary sense, I hope ultimately when we get our turn they-
    -Buff heralds and replace the Victory one with a Melee aoe herald, along with finally adding elf heralds for high elf captains
    -Improve the blue tree's healing output so we can do more stuff with it
    -Give a bit of a damage boost to red tree. Soloing can be a bit sluggish sometimes, and although we shouldn't be doing the damage of the top DPSers, as a DPS support build I think the potential to do 50-60% of what they're doing should be about right. It should be to the point at least where there's a difference between a Captain who is a buff bot vs. one who contributes meaningful support DPS, but as it stands it sometimes feels more like you can take our DPS, or leave it.
    -Mostly leave yellow alone.

One of the most fun aspects about Captain is the versatility it offers in playstyle and support, so I hope they don't do anything to change what we're able to do in that regard. It would be amazing if all three trait trees for Captain were viable for group play, I'm not sure if any other class could really say the same.

Melee AOE Herald? That could be fun. All Heralds need a buff though.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2