We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Housing Suggestions

There has been a lot of new housing stuff (lately-ish), and I really love it. I love being able to move things around to make the area inside my house look more homelike. But I have been doing a lot of thinking, and here are some suggestions I thought of. Maybe other people will like them too.

- I would like to be able to move things around a little on my lawn too. Nothing crazy. But it is disappointing to have the yard "hooks" simply line up in rows on either side of my yard, and it makes it difficult to place things in a more natural way.

- I would like it if we could hang banners on kin houses, similar to how there are banners hanging from some of the buildings in Bree (the red one with the boar on it). It might be nice to even have some customization options so a kinship can have a somewhat personalized banner for their kin house.

- It would be nice to have some "lived-in" type items. Like pots and kettles to put in front of fireplaces, maybe a little rack with some wet socks or something. Dishes, books, random little things that could be placed around the house to make it look more "home-like". Maybe even some things like puddles, spilled liquids, dirt or some things like that to make it look rustic. Having a broom to lean in a corner might be nice too.

- More paintings, please, and of varying sizes. Huge landscapes, tiny portraits, everything in between.

- The ability to dye items (and possibly the bright red fireplaces in Falathlorn). To be able to dye rugs, or furniture, etc, would be divine. I would love to be able to have an easier time of making things match.

Thank you for reading.

/signed Anything to make our homes more "homey" is good with me. And more hooks; LOTS more hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by paintpixie View Post
    - I would like to be able to move things around a little on my lawn too. Nothing crazy. But it is disappointing to have the yard "hooks" simply line up in rows on either side of my yard, and it makes it difficult to place things in a more natural way.
    If i remember right one of the devs said they did have it where you could move yard items just like the inside, but there was an issue with doing that so it never continued. but maybe they can find away to make happen.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    If i remember right one of the devs said they did have it where you could move yard items just like the inside, but there was an issue with doing that so it never continued. but maybe they can find away to make happen.
    I heard it differently but I'm not gonna try to remember what I "heard". [you may be correct, Pontin]

First, if you look at the function of indoor hooks as they are now you see what? There are 3 different houses per race. Only 3 different houses. The kinship house in the shire is always the same. So designers could go in and change one shire kinship house and all of them would change. Right? Thats a total of 12 different hook placements to do. (total house hooks not how many hooks in a house.)

Exit your kinhouse and look at the yard. Now go to another kinhouse, there are 4, and see if your hooks are in the exact same place as this one. Hint: No they arent. The yards themselves are different shapes and sizes. This means that there are 4 different yards to do in just one racial housing neighborhood. And these are only the kinhouses. This doesn't affect the work to get them to react like interiors but the actual work to do them. To just do kin houses would be more work than all the work put into the interiors.

Of course maybe we could get kin houses in the standard housing areas done to start with, since it is only one extra house per race... compared to the amt of houses reworked on the interiors.

I'm thinking there aren't a lot of things you can do with this function. I can see an army of housing guards lined up in a row. Hobbits playing in the Swan Fountain?
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    If i remember right one of the devs said they did have it where you could move yard items just like the inside, but there was an issue with doing that so it never continued.
    You remember correctly. The basics of it are:

They said that they did implement this originally but found there was an issue because yards are not flat like interiors so just having the ability to move things sideways wouldn't work as your decorations would end up buried or floating in the air. They tried adding the ability to change the height of items to solve this but realised that meant people could fill their yards with floating items all over the place. Of course people can do this inside their houses, but that's a private place that others don't have to visit if they don't want to, can you imagine how some people would react to having to travel through a whole neighbourhood of floating items every time they go to their own house?

There was also the issue that it was possible to move some yard items into a neighbours' yard or onto public spaces, such as roads and into rivers, etc.

Solving these issues would have been too much work so they abandoned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhiu View Post
    Exit your kinhouse and look at the yard. Now go to another kinhouse, there are 4, and see if your hooks are in the exact same place as this one. Hint: No they arent. The yards themselves are different shapes and sizes. This means that there are 4 different yards to do in just one racial housing neighborhood. And these are only the kinhouses. This doesn't affect the work to get them to react like interiors but the actual work to do them. To just do kin houses would be more work than all the work put into the interiors.
    Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    Solving these issues would have been too much work so they abandoned it.
    Oh, thank you for letting me know. I hadn't thought of all that.

- I would like it if we could hang banners on kin houses, similar to how there are banners hanging from some of the buildings in Bree (the red one with the boar on it). It might be nice to even have some customization options so a kinship can have a somewhat personalized banner for their kin house.

- It would be nice to have some "lived-in" type items. Like pots and kettles to put in front of fireplaces, maybe a little rack with some wet socks or something. Dishes, books, random little things that could be placed around the house to make it look more "home-like". Maybe even some things like puddles, spilled liquids, dirt or some things like that to make it look rustic. Having a broom to lean in a corner might be nice too.

- More paintings, please, and of varying sizes. Huge landscapes, tiny portraits, everything in between.

- The ability to dye items (and possibly the bright red fireplaces in Falathlorn). To be able to dye rugs, or furniture, etc, would be divine. I would love to be able to have an easier time of making things match.

Thank you for reading.
    All of these are great ideas. I would love to see many of these items / additions to be craftable.
    Making Brides Princesses Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    All of these are great ideas. I would love to see many of these items / additions to be craftable.
    well how about a new hobby? painting!

well how about a new hobby? painting!
    It is already a Scholar Skill.

Housing improvements are always /signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    It is already a Scholar Skill.
    My scholar makes paint. He doesn't use them other than rolling it on a floor or wall. I'm talking Bob Ross painting :P

Thumbs up

There has been a lot of new housing stuff (lately-ish), and I really love it. I love being able to move things around to make the area inside my house look more homelike. But I have been doing a lot of thinking, and here are some suggestions I thought of. Maybe other people will like them too.

Thank you for reading.
    I will love to see all these happening but specially be able to varnish the furniture. By the way, all houses have a broom included, but you can see it only when you open the door.

~ Check my Kinship at Gladden server: The Fate of Middle Earth ~

My scholar makes paint. He doesn't use them other than rolling it on a floor or wall. I'm talking Bob Ross painting :P

'Above Weathertop' Painting

Artisan Craft XP Earned: 4
    Tool Required: Scholar's Glass
    Facility Required: Superior Study
    Crafting Panel -
    Ingredients:
    0/1 Onion Skin
    0/1 Indigo Plant
    0/1 Piece of Chalk
    0/1 Bottle of Water

This recipe can be purchased from Atharbain found within Imlad Gelair in Rivendell.

The above is from the Wiki. All the painting recipes are hidden behind factions.

I would love to see even more hooks added to the houses. The addition of more in the past couple of years has been great, but there still aren't enough!

Also standardising the sizes of stuff might be good. Some of the stuff currently tagged as 'large furniture', for example, is smaller than some of the 'small furniture'. If all the hooks and all the furniture were the same size, there'd be even more options for customising your layouts inside your house.

More wall slots would be awesome. Multiple 'small wall' slots on a single wall (vertically) would be great, as would a large wall with a small wall above it. This would work especially well in the bigger houses that have tall interior walls (I mean the premium house walls are so tall that the wallpaper repeats).

Things like dressers and bookshelves that aren't very big, shouldn't take up a 'large wall' slot.

'Table' slots would also work well on some of the bigger tables. I have a big stack of books from Mordor on my Elven table, but I've now run out of slots I can put them in to add to the stack. If you're going to keep adding the Lost Lore books, maybe even a new slot option that will allow you to put multiple items in the same slot to make stack in the first place?
    === All spellng mistakes in the above are intentional, and are provided for your amusement. ===

Exteriors

How about the ability to change the exteriors?

I think there would be significant interest from the community to change the exterior appearance of their homes so they would stand out from each other and from each neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyEaredBowTwanger View Post
    Multiple 'small wall' slots on a single wall (vertically) would be great, as would a large wall with a small wall above it. This would work especially well in the bigger houses that have tall interior walls (I mean the premium house walls are so tall that the wallpaper repeats).
    Funny thing is, Kinhouses (regular, not sure about Premium) have this over-under configuration.

Things like dressers and bookshelves that aren't very big, shouldn't take up a 'large wall' slot.
    I have noticed that anything that reaches the floor is a 'large wall' item.

Nice observations.

'Table' slots would also work well on some of the bigger tables. I have a big stack of books from Mordor on my Elven table, but I've now run out of slots I can put them in to add to the stack. If you're going to keep adding the Lost Lore books, maybe even a new slot option that will allow you to put multiple items in the same slot to make stack in the first place?
    This - maybe create a new 'Stacking' slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Asfodel View Post
    This - maybe create a new 'Stacking' slot?
    I like this idea too. Or maybe a special bookcase where you can put them?

I like this idea too. Or maybe a special bookcase where you can put them?
    You mean like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeopard View Post
    You mean like this one?
    Oh wow. Yeah, that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeopard View Post
    You mean like this one?
    Oh! That is nice! But can we have something like that for non-raid content, including the Book Shelf?