We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Beautiful, varied game

Someone posted writing about only pvp and dps. Ty for making the game about more than just that. i love the culture and atmosphere in LOTRO also and watching the livestream for 11 anniv I can see you do too. Keep it up. GJ.

I am No one's demographic. lol
    Female gamers DO exist, they DO...and not just because our boyfriend plays. Electronic Gaming since 1980.

Oddly enough, when this game was yet to be released there was originally not going to be any PvP at all. Back then, that would have made the game unique from most other MMOs just for that reason alone. There was also a game lore reason behind it as this was intended to be a game about the 'good guys' and they shouldn't be fighting amongst each other. But then of course folks whined and complained and the devs compromised with Monster Play.

Personally, I wish they had stuck to their guns and the game would have been just fine without it. But that's just my opinion.
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    Oddly enough, when this game was yet to be released there was originally not going to be any PvP at all. Back then, that would have made the game unique from most other MMOs just for that reason alone. There was also a game lore reason behind it as this was intended to be a game about the 'good guys' and they shouldn't be fighting amongst each other. But then of course folks whined and complained and the devs compromised with Monster Play.

Personally, I wish they had stuck to their guns and the game would have been just fine without it. But that's just my opinion.
    Mine too. I never saw any whining and complaining on the beta forums because of no PvP. I did see a lot of us complain bitterly when it was announced.

Still ... Turbine > SSG have, from the beginning, made PvP consensual. You have always had to choose to PvP.

In Asheron's Call, you had to get to at least level 20 and make a rather dangerous trip to the Direlands to enter a dungeon and swear fealty to (= click on the altar of) Bael'Zharon to become a "red dot" who could fight other "red dots," and only them. There were never very many of them, and the all-PvP world, Darktide, had a population maybe a tenth of that of all the other worlds.

In Asheron's Call 2, there was an added dimension to PvP: Kingdom-vs.-Kingdom (faction-vs.-faction) rivalry, with each Kingdom having a small territory where the mobs would attack anyone not belonging to that Kingdom, and the small island Arramora where each Kingdom had its own tiny territory and a fortress that it could defend while others attacked it. The rest of the world was non-PvP, and when the devs realized that there was a short passage between two portals that was (I think) Dominion territory and non-Dominion players could be attacked while running between the portals, the devs said "oops" and moved the portals.

I don't know if there's any PvP in Dungeons and Dragons Online; I played the beta but never got out of level one.

In LotRO, if you want to PvMP, you have to choose to go to one of two PvMP areas. Occasional suggestions for worldwide PvP are regularly shot down ... by the players.

I assume that PvMP was introduced because somebody thought it would attract more players. Has it? We see complaints on the forums from time to time that "The Moors are empty!" alternating with "Give us more PvMP areas!" which seem to contradict each other ... but math was never my subject.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

I prefer my PvE games honestly. If they really want to compromise on PvP they should just create PvP-focused servers in which there are more PvP areas. I'm also no opposed to the notion of players engaging in voluntary PvP competitions, treated as sparring matches with no actual "death" involved for the loser. There isn't a whole lot of room in the game's lore to introduce big arena-based competitive modes like Final Fantasy XIV has, though.

Players tend to gravitate toward PvP because it's more challenging (in the long term) than continuing to challenge monster AIs with progressively higher numbers. When there's a human at the reins, you can at least be guaranteed a competent enemy rather than a random attacks generator. That having been said, I question the notion of a human player meaning terribly much to the proceedings in a game system that is (ultimately) rotations-based: you are either using the optimal tactics for your player class or you are not. There is no room for ingenuity or on-the-fly strategy in such a system as there would be in an action game or a shooter. It's for that reason, primarily, that I can't bring myself to care overmuch about PvP in a game such as this one.

Still, options for new ways to have fun with a game are never an exceptionally bad thing. It just comes off as incredibly weaksauce when PvP only exists within a game because someone decided to check that box off a list of Must Have Features(tm).

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I don't know if there's any PvP in Dungeons and Dragons Online;
    There is, of a sort, but it's even more limited than this game.

(Small disclaimer: It's been several years since I played, so some of this may have changed, but this is how it was when I played.)

As in LotRO you can challenge other players to spar anywhere, which works the same as here.

Other than that there are a few small areas, kind of pits inside taverns mainly, where you become flagged for PvP if you enter them.

Very few people bother with them as they tend to be mostly troll-areas where casters will keep people perma-stunned once they enter.

Agreed. Have been playing the game for about 2, almost 3 years, and I still love it. I'm always a PvE player in MMO's, but had a few requests for PvP. Very few times do I say 'yes' because I'm real bad at PvP.

With the recent environment updates, it looks even better in some places. The old forest actually looks like an old forest now XD Looks much more 'natural'.