We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unable to decrypt and de-serialise the data downloaded from the server

I'm getting this error a lot lately and this is really annoying. My machines run Windows 8.1 x64. I believe this error is somehow connected with the fact that the game's folder is set to read-only, but this time with Bullroarer client I'm unable to fix it. Changing the whole partition's ownership and permissions doesn't help.
    Kelewon, Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ENDrain View Post
    I'm getting this error a lot lately and this is really annoying. My machines run Windows 8.1 x64. I believe this error is somehow connected with the fact that the game's folder is set to read-only, but this time with Bullroarer client I'm unable to fix it. Changing the whole partition's ownership and permissions doesn't help.
    Delete the folder, reboot, switch off AV & Firewall and try again. 9 times out of 10 this is a corrupted file due to the AV deciding it is malicious.

Dont forget to re-enable AV and Firewall afterwards.

Sadly, the folder ownership, it's deletion, reinstalling the game, reinstalling the system, AV and firewalls - all of that has nothing to do with the aforementioned problem. The only thing it has anything (everything) to do with is the fact that LotRO is a

broken

broken

broken

game, that requires repairing (not "fixing") prior to balancing and/or updating. I hope one day SSG will see that and I hope it won't be too late then.

By the way, I can't launch even the live client now.

HEY, SSG, I CAN'T EVEN LAUNCH YOUR GAME, FIX IT PLEASE.
    Last edited by ENDrain; Jun 03 2018 at 04:32 PM.
    Kelewon, Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by ENDrain View Post
    This problem is caused by a corrupt download. As others have pointed out, this is usually caused by some Anti-Malware program, which is interfering with the download.

The corrupt file is stored in a temporary folder which you must delete before trying again.

The problem is NOT with SSG, it is with your computer.

As others have pointed out -- TURN OFF your Anti-Virus (which is really anti-malware) and any non-windows Firewall software after you delete the temporary files, and before you try to download again.

There are several Anti-Malware/Anti-Virus programs which are notorious for corrupting downloads -- Avast being one of the most common. Just because it is free does not make it good software.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (115)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Actually, it is a bit of both.

LOTRO is old, and based on an even older game engine; back then 99% of players were on Dial-up or ADSL1 lines; so the install was broken down in to many thousands of small files, so that if the connection failed, you only lost and had to repeat one small file.

AV's isolate, and read each file, then when it has decided it is safe, allows it to be sent to the permanent SSD/HDD location; with a big file, it can save it to a temporary store, scan it, then move it; but when faced with many thousands, all needing to be written the the HDD, read back, and sent to a different location and the temporary cope deleted, they cannot always keep up, and mistakes can happen in the copying, causing a corrupted version of the file.