We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Kinship Naming Restrictions, were they changed recently?

Hello,

Have there been tighter restrictions put on the naming of Kinships recently? Just a month or so back we had created a kin named Eldar enin Neledh ( Elves of the Three Stars ). We eventually disbanded it. Today we are trying to create a new elven guild for roleplay purposes but we are not able to use any of the following words... Eldar, Elves, Edhellim, Edhellon, Golden, Mallorn and many, many, many more general words. We used to be in a kin named Elves of Celondim, maybe a year ago. Today we can't use the word Elves, or the word Celondim. I put in a ticket last night and was told today by +Gate+ that Kinships are not allowed to have any reference to any Lore. Seriously? When did this happen?

My friends and I have several Kins with a lore based name, I have seen plenty of others in game with lore based names using words such as, Dunedain, Hobbits, Bounders, Shire, Bree, I could go on and on. Just a few months ago we had one of our lore based kin names changed by CS to include a ' in the name and they were happy to make the change for us. All of a sudden none of these lore based names are allowed for some reason. When was this change announced?

I would like to know, it is darn near impossible to make any type of a role play based kinship right now as every name/word we try is being rejected.

Thank you for reading
    Last edited by Juravael; May 09 2018 at 04:13 PM.

Does anyone know?

We can not use simple words such as "Elves of", "Elves", "Eldar", "Edhel", "Edhellim" or "Golden" in any combination or circumstance. We even tried silly names such as "Elves of Bicycles", "Elves of Wednesday", "Elves just a test" and so on... nothing works.

I'm curious about this too. It's irritating and absolutely must be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLeopard View Post
    It's very irritating.

We tried for over 2 hours last night to come up with a fitting name for our Elven roleplay kin, we had no luck with any of the choices we tried. Even very basic ones such as "Elves, Warriors, Protectors, etc... of the Golden Wood", were not permitted. This has to have been a recent change because we had a kin just a few months ago with the word Eldar in the name and a GM even modified it for us to add a ' to the name. Unfortunately we disbanded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juravael View Post
    It's very irritating.

We tried for over 2 hours last night to come up with a fitting name for our Elven roleplay kin, we had no luck with any of the choices we tried. Even very basic ones such as "Elves, Warriors, Protectors, etc... of the Golden Wood", were not permitted. This has to have been a recent change because we had a kin just a few months ago with the word Eldar in the name and a GM even modified it for us to add a ' to the name. Unfortunately we disbanded it.
    It's ridiculous and limiting. A friend of mine was having a hard time naming her Rohan RP kin a few weeks back. I don't think she could even use "Riders" in the name!

You can add me to this list. I have an alt kin named "Law Office of Smeagal and Gamgee". I tried making another alt kin with the name "Smeagal" or "Gamgee", and they are both designated inappropriate.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I tried to name a personal kin "Self Insert" a while back and had no luck because it contained "elf."

Exclamation

Yes, please look into this!!

Twice recently I gave up on creating a new kin, due to this. I was trying to make a dwarf kin, and while I don't remember every word I tried, I gave up after realizing I couldn't even use the word "mountain".

I contacted CS again and was happy to see that this will be fixed/changed. Below is the response, from +Gate+.

Hello ********, I have looked further into this for you and can confirm that lore related names for kinships will be available again. Please keep an eye on the patchnotes of future patches and updates. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for contacting the in-game support!

Smile Yay

I contacted CS again and was happy to see that this will be fixed/changed. Below is the response, from +Gate+.

Hello ********, I have looked further into this for you and can confirm that lore related names for kinships will be available again. Please keep an eye on the patchnotes of future patches and updates. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for contacting the in-game support!
    Great to hear, and thanks for your efforts and update!

Does anyone know if this change ever went into effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    Does anyone know if this change ever went into effect?
    Late response, but it did. I was able to get a few I'd been wanting.

Late response, but it did. I was able to get a few I'd been wanting.
    Ok, this is good to know! Thanks for answering!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

"They" keep saying the stupid filter will be fixed, but it has been broken for MONTHS now.

Still having issues with many names

I am still having issues creating kinship names.

I am not able to use words such as hobbit, hobbits, elves, dwarves, any location names such as Bree, Shire, Brockenborings, Combe, Ered Luin etc.

I thought from the ticket response that I got that this was going to be fixed?

I am still having issues creating kinship names.

I am not able to use words such as hobbit, hobbits, elves, dwarves, any location names such as Bree, Shire, Brockenborings, Combe, Ered Luin etc.

I thought from the ticket response that I got that this was going to be fixed?
    this must be an issue, I know I've seen a kin with the word "Hobbit" in it and I've seen "Elves" hopefully it will be fix.
    Pontin Level 115 Hobbit Burglar Kinship Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server. Staff member of the Lord of the Rings Discord Server, and Owner of Middle-Earth Lore discord.
    Alts: Legoan Elf Hunter, Belladonea Hobbit Minstrel, Unnari Dwarf Guardian, Jorunn Man Captain, Sallyberry Hobbit Warden. Laurelin Server, Edwell Man Hunter.

Here's some of my Screenshots Throughout Middle Earth. Also can follow me on Twitter for Adventures in Middle Earth and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    this must be an issue, I know I've seen a kin with the word "Hobbit" in it and I've seen "Elves" hopefully it will be fix.
    It's a fairly recent change that was made for some reason. I was told by CS this would be fixed back in May, but it has not been.

Here's some examples : We used to have a kin named "Elves of Celondim" and can not create that now even though we disbanded it. It does not matter what we try, using the word Elves is restricted. As I stated above in May, even silly names such as "Elves of the Woods", or "Elves of Thursday" are rejected. I literally just tried both in game while typing this. We also have a hobbit kin named "Folk of the Shire" but we are unable to create any kin name with the word Shire in it now. As a matter of fact, when I type in "Folk of the Shire" to create a kin I get the message that the name is inappropriate for middle earth, even though we have a kin with that very name! A few more names I just tried while typing this are "Hobbits of the Shire", "Hobbits of Buckland", "Hobbit Minstrel", Hobbits of Waymeet", "Hobbits of Bree", and replace the word Hobbits with Bounders, Elves, or Dwarves, same results. Nothing with the word Minstrel works either, even though there is a band in the Bree craft hall right now playing that are named "The Wandering Minstrels" I just tried a dozen variations with the word Minstrel in it. Can't be used.

Only a few kin names I tried came back with the message that the kin name already exists. Most just say either unavailable or inappropriate for middle earth, even though we have seen plenty with these words in the name. It seems that anything remotely hinting at any lore/name-places in the game is off limits now. It's disappointing and frustrating.