We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Gearing up questions

Hi, everyone!
    I'm having doubts regarding readying my gear for Mordor, and would really appreciate your thoughts.
    As far as I know, the best non-raid gear available pre-Mordor is the one offered by Herbalists in exchange for phials, the best essences the North Ithilien ones offered by HotW quartermasters in exchange for Minas Tirith coins, the best non-LI weapons those offered by Host of the West Weaponists/Armourers/Provisioners, and the best level 100 LI (if you cannot get a bloody FA Symbol) the SA offered through Dol Amroth reputation.
    For a couple of weeks thus, two hours a day, I have been grinding phials and doing the daily crafting for barter items to reach ally status. I have still three gear pieces missing (only 24k morale!!!), I'm running out of MT coins, I'm only at acquaintance with HotW A, and haven't even started with Dol Amroth...
    I cannot stop thinking then that I'm wasting my scarce play time, and will be wasting even more if I continue with this...
    So, I would like to hear your opinion on whether all the grinding is really worth the effort, if it is at all necessary or there are alternatives (I've heard about mathom-hunters gear, but haven't got any).
    To sum up, should I continue with this?
    Oh, just in case it wasn't obvious, I'm a casual noob (not expecting a place in a raid or to min/max ever, that is... only to play the solo content available) ;-)
    Thanks for reading and your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Talttos View Post
    I cannot stop thinking then that I'm wasting my scarce play time, and will be wasting even more if I continue with this... To sum up, should I continue with this?
    Although I havent played for a while, I would say that you are wasting your time. All the gears from previous areas are obsoleted by Mordor pieces. You most probably do better with the quest reward pieces than the ones from North Ithilien and areas before that. You might encounter some difficulties when going to Mordor first at lvl 105, but it should get easier once you gain few levels and are able to replace your current gears with the 105+ gears.

So, I would like to hear your opinion on whether all the grinding is really worth the effort, if it is at all necessary or there are alternatives (I've heard about mathom-hunters gear, but haven't got any).
    Quest reward pieces are usually OK while leveling. Mathom hunter pieces have the luxury of scaling to the toon which opens it, so pieces from those boxes can be used to fill "gear gaps" whenever you meet one.
    Laurelin freeps: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin extras: Tamyah (Baby Captain) - Netta (Baby Lore-master) - Yasmint (Cook)
    Laurelin creeps: Tamratz (R9 Warg) - Tambash (R8 Blackarrow)

From my own experience soloing Mordor- once you get over the initial shock, you'll find ways to get by. The gear you get from questing Mordor will quickly obsolete anything you can grind out in previous regions- so grinding gear might save you some headaches, and gain XP so you enter Mordor at a higher level than the Udun mobs. That will help some. But the most important gear stat IMHO is LoE, and you can't get that stat from Ithilien or Wastes gear. For weapons, you can buy FA items at the AH, or craft them or have a kin member or friend craft them for you if you don't want to spend the coin. If you're on Brandywine, look for me and I'll craft you a FA sword or whatever. What class are you playing btw?

Thanks, Tam!
    The idea was indeed to get ready for Mordor so that the initial shock wasn't traumatic/discouraging, as I've read about the difficulty there.
    If it seems to be difficult for experienced players with good armour, guess for a terribly geared noob... :-)
    I know I cannot get Light armour in the Wastes, but was hoping to increase my morale enough to survive at least a couple of encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by breebrat View Post
    If you're on Brandywine, look for me and I'll craft you a FA sword or whatever. What class are you playing btw?
    Thanks so much for the kind offer!!! I'm on Laurelin, though. Playing a silk-armoured Lore-Master... ;-)
    I'm kinless (can't think of any kinship wanting one such as me), so levelling a woodcrafter. The problem is actually obtaining a symbol. They are not even auctioned in my server.

Nevermind, you both have solved my issues. Should stop grinding right away! ;-P

An alternative suggestion, assuming you're on level (106+) to enter Mordor, is to start hitting up the Treasure Cache deeds. The random drop gear is also scaled to your level, just no Light stats. Plus a lot of those deeds give you Roving Threat tokens for First Age weapons...
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

The idea was indeed to get ready for Mordor so that the initial shock wasn't traumatic/discouraging, as I've read about the difficulty there. If it seems to be difficult for experienced players with good armour, guess for a terribly geared noob... :-)
    First, Mordor could have been traumatic landscape experience to those players, who used to oneshot entire camps with level 20-30 gears using one skill. That was close the situation between Helms Deep and Mordor landscape difficulty, with few exceptions moaned a lot during the years. Second, as how lotro have worked so far, your old gears do not matter at all when you go onwards. They are just obsoleted, just like gears from Angmar, Moria, East Rohan, all gears from ToO, Erebor raids, from everything. Lotro - sadly - is not a game where you progress forward, but a game where you do all the same things all over again just to keep you on par. So: Osgiliath, Northern Ithilien and such gears are absolutely no use after 105.
    Laurelin freeps: Tamien (R8 Warden) - Tanie (R9 Champion) - Tamieth (Hunter) - Tamia (Minstrel) - Challenger of Gothmog
    Laurelin extras: Tamyah (Baby Captain) - Netta (Baby Lore-master) - Yasmint (Cook)
    Laurelin creeps: Tamratz (R9 Warg) - Tambash (R8 Blackarrow)

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    An alternative suggestion, assuming you're on level (106+) to enter Mordor, is to start hitting up the Treasure Cache deeds. The random drop gear is also scaled to your level, just no Light stats. Plus a lot of those deeds give you Roving Threat tokens for First Age weapons...
    Thanks so much for the suggestion!!! Never thought of that... I recall tripping on some of those in lower areas, but not that they could drop gear

Quote Originally Posted by TamX View Post
    First, Mordor could have been traumatic landscape experience to those players, who used to oneshot entire camps with level 20-30 gears using one skill. That was close the situation between Helms Deep and Mordor landscape difficulty, with few exceptions moaned a lot during the years. Second, as how lotro have worked so far, your old gears do not matter at all when you go onwards. They are just obsoleted, just like gears from Angmar, Moria, East Rohan, all gears from ToO, Erebor raids, from everything. Lotro - sadly - is not a game where you progress forward, but a game where you do all the same things all over again just to keep you on par. So: Osgiliath, Northern Ithilien and such gears are absolutely no use after 105.
    As a LM I've never been able to oneshot a thing (now that I'm 110 doing 105 landscape in yellow, sometimes I crush a worm or a birdie, but that does not count) so I'm used to long fights against much better armoured mobs. Just thought it would be good to increase my morale pool before entering Mordor so that I could resist a first blow and have a chance to get region gear (I was, and still partially am, wearing level 18X armour and jewellery). You've been very clear that improving my very obsolete gear with obsolete gear is of no use, so thanks for saving me the grind!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!!! Never thought of that... I recall tripping on some of those in lower areas, but not that they could drop gear.
    Alas, random is random. On the slightly less random side, my LM, now three hubs into Mordor, is still sporting some teal jewelry from the Pellenor and Pelargir Big Battles she did at 110+.

And the one piece of 105 crafted that holds her Central Gondor class-specific essences.
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

If you have any unopened mathom armour, especially the fine armour, use that! Opened at 106+, it has amazing stats. My mini sashayed into mordor wearing mostly Fine Mathom Armour, lvl 106.

My warden strode into Mordor gear with flower armour, because I had it. Based on the chatter in world chat, I slotted quite a few finesse essences. Finesse is very important in Mordor.

As I moved through Mordor, I kept my LOE bar equal to or in excess of the Shadow of each area. First with quest drops, then eventually with armour.

Mordor is very different, as previous posters have said. It takes away complacency and makes the game challenging again. So initially, test yourself out on single targets. Check to see if your attacks are being avoided (need more finesse). Use all the skills in your toolkit to manage the situation. And enjoy being challenged again!

One thought on trait lines: I'm a casual solo player as well. I had always played my LM in red line. However, after listening to more experienced LMs, I gave blue line a try. It seems to work very well in Mordor, because of how strong your pets are. With the Pet Morale legacy, your pets will have something like 300k morale. And I was still able to reach far enough into red line to get Lightning Storm. So having a really strong pet to hold aggro and kill can be a great asset in Mordor.
    Last edited by Aeroniel; May 09 2018 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks, Aeroniel!
    I've added a couple of finesse essences in my HotW armour, and will give blue a try if I despair with orange.
    Cheers!