We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Best purchase for a new player

    Long-time sub, but my son is now getting into playing so we rolled some dwarves and started hacking away. He's starting to get a little frustrated by some of the f2p vs VIP limitations, though, and I'm wondering what some of the best deals are out there (not ready to sign up for a 1 year sub for him just yet). Amazon has the original Shadows of Angmar, although I remember when I first started there was a difference between the Codemasters and Turbine versions, so not certain if it's still viable, as well as the Sam Gamgee pack (which I thought went away a couple of years ago). Any of these worthwhile, or is there a better way to get going (beyond just buying a few LP and upgrading to Premium at least)?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    1,670
    You could just buy him a one month sub (cancel before it auto-renews) and it will unlock trait slots, gold cap, virtues, etc. and make him premium.

  3. #3
    Or buy a 3 month sub at $30 instead of 1 month at $15 and have a lot more time to level characters and see multiple higher areas. One month goes quickly.

  4. #4
    Subbing for a month is the best way to go indeed.

    Don't buy Shadows of Angmar box - it gives you nothing. Since the game went f2p, the original SoA content was split into questpacks which you either rent out as VIP or buy with LP. The first three are free and every account has SoA listed amongst the expansions owned as a sort of "generic" content.

    Sam Gamgee pack was indeed discontinued but some codes are apparently still available and if the seller is honest, they work. Riding skill & steed for all your toons is a nice bonus(not sure if the extra bag slots still apply though).

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ObGynKenobi View Post
    I remember when I first started there was a difference between the Codemasters and Turbine versions,
    If anything from Amazon or Ebay says Codemasters, don't get it, the codes won't work. Codemasters was the old company that took care of the European servers that went out of business/lost the license/dropped the game?. The one's with Turbine on them will still work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    666
    Besides the 1 month sub, as others sugested, i would totally recommend purchasing the premium wallet. Best thing i spended my TPs back then.
    Thorgull lvl 105 Champion - Malendar lvl 115 Warden - Estelldion lvl 101 LoreMaster - Ballduin lvl 36 Runekeeper - Nharduil lvl 17 Minstrel All on Evernight

    Malenborn - Warden & Athanandor - Hunter on Crickhollow (Casual Wanderers)

  7. #7
    I wanted to start my own thread but decided to put it here. I am new in this game and I absolutely love it. My question is: If I buy VIP monthly sub, do I have to buy anything else to fully enjony the game (like expansions or whatever)? I dont care about boost, extra slots and etc, I am asking about zones, dungs, raids... :-) Thanks alot guys, sorry for bad english.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    5,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Beawero View Post
    I wanted to start my own thread but decided to put it here. I am new in this game and I absolutely love it. My question is: If I buy VIP monthly sub, do I have to buy anything else to fully enjony the game (like expansions or whatever)? I dont care about boost, extra slots and etc, I am asking about zones, dungs, raids... :-) Thanks alot guys, sorry for bad english.
    Welcome to LOTRO!

    I'm afraid you will have to purchase the expansions. They are not included in the monthly sub.

    The Expansion Quad pack:

    https://store.standingstonegames.com...oryID.58516200

    is the most cost effective way to get the first four expansions. That's enough content to take you from level 45-46 through 86-87. During that time you can keep watching for sales/discounts on the last two expansions - Helm's Deep and Mordor.

    VIP only gives you the quest pack content. That will be useful for characters level 30-45 and later for the gap between Helm's Deep and Mordor (96-105). You can also just purchase these with LOTRO Points, but you still want to be VIP for at least 1 month for all the benefits it grants each character.

    Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by ObGynKenobi View Post
    Long-time sub, but my son is now getting into playing so we rolled some dwarves and started hacking away. He's starting to get a little frustrated by some of the f2p vs VIP limitations, though, and I'm wondering what some of the best deals are out there (not ready to sign up for a 1 year sub for him just yet). Amazon has the original Shadows of Angmar, although I remember when I first started there was a difference between the Codemasters and Turbine versions, so not certain if it's still viable, as well as the Sam Gamgee pack (which I thought went away a couple of years ago). Any of these worthwhile, or is there a better way to get going (beyond just buying a few LP and upgrading to Premium at least)?
    If you do the meta deeds in Erud Luin (explorer, slayer, quest) you will have enough to get the mount skill (95lp) and the character will be around lvl 17 takes about 2hours. Then do the Shire and before you are done with the Bree Meta you should have enough to unlock the gold cap (wallet). This has benefits, your son will learn more about the game, he will learn the starting areas, and the sense of accomplishment when he earned these things himself by working for it. Then if you want you can go and get the 1 month or 3 month subscription. It is possible to unlock every quest pack and everything else you want in game as a FTP if you really want to work at it.

    My suggestion is have him earn his riding trait, and wallet himself, it is a good lesson that hard work at something even a game has rewards.

    (This is coming from a Grandpa who likes to spoil the kids and grandkids lol)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Beawero View Post
    I wanted to start my own thread but decided to put it here. I am new in this game and I absolutely love it. My question is: If I buy VIP monthly sub, do I have to buy anything else to fully enjony the game (like expansions or whatever)? I dont care about boost, extra slots and etc, I am asking about zones, dungs, raids... :-) Thanks alot guys, sorry for bad english.
    Welcome to Lotro! As you were told, being a sub does not give you full access to the xpac content. You can still go into the zones and in the first 4 xpacs, you can still do the Epic storyline (not in Helm's Deep or Mordor), but you won't have access to any side quests/deeds/instances that came with the xpac.

    If you are not in a big hurry to lvl up, I would keep an eye on the Website Store (Market) for REALLY good sales around Thanksgiving (US) and Christmas. Last year, they had the first 5 xpacs for $16 USD total.

    VIP DOES give you free access (while subbed) to all storylines/side quests/deeds/instances in all the non-xpac regions of the game however, so imo it's worth it to sub for that alone + if you like the game and can afford it, it's good to support it.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload