We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
  1. Tanking experience at end game: Captain and Guardian

Hi all. I'm wondering if people can help me get a sense of the experience end game for captains and guardians... I know that captains excel at boss fights and have challenges with many mobs.

I am choosing between the two, and here are the factors that I have considered:

1. Solo leveling. Both seem slowish, but I don't mind that.
    2. Captains can tank or get brought in for dps boosts. Do they get to tank often, if geared for it?
    3. Which is more "fun" to tank with, by which I mean a wider array of skills and a greater capacity to succeed where others might fail. Active "oh s*@#" is more fun than passive mitigations in my experience.
    4. Mounted combat... advantage captain, I assume?

Hey, i have tanked the latest raid on both captain and Guardian. I will answer your questions but some of it may be subjective from personal experience, everyone has a diffirent experience

Guardians and Captains are the main tanking classes right now. Both have different strengths and weaknesses. Guardian has better and easier aggro management due to more taunt skills and lower cd’s. Guardian’s defensive cooldowns usually boost BPE while a captain reduces his incoming damage. Guardian has extra mits and crit defense from passives, Captain gets extra morale.
    They both can tank, but are usually used for different roles suiting their skills: Guardian’s mostly tank when there are alot of mobs, or when there is waves of ads spawning over time. A Captain usually takes single bosses or is on off tanking duty.

1. Neither have big DPS like RKS or hunters but they can do decent damage still. In addition a guardian shines when pulling a lot of mobs.

2. In raids there is usually tanks needed. Mostly this is one Guardian and one Captain. Captains can tank very well when geared for it, just performs different jobs then Guardians.
    Captains ineed have their red line to play as well in raids, while a Guardian is solely used for tanking.

3. As mentioned before not is greater then the other per se, they just shine in different situations, it depends what you like. Do you want to have the satisfaction of pulling 20 mobs without dying? Or do you rather tank a big raid boss without problem while helping your group out with other buffs. It’s personal preference really.

4. Captain has one of the best mounted combat of all classes, arguably the best. Don’t make this a big point however, mounted combat isn’t used at all in end game.
    Fearendur, Captain R12 -- Original Challenger of the Abyss
    Eleannora, Rune Keeper R10 -- Aemeryllis, Guardian -- Challenger of the Abyss

Odyssey - Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    Hi all. I'm wondering if people can help me get a sense of the experience end game for captains and guardians... I know that captains excel at boss fights and have challenges with many mobs.

I am choosing between the two, and here are the factors that I have considered:

1. Solo leveling. Both seem slowish, but I don't mind that.
    2. Captains can tank or get brought in for dps boosts. Do they get to tank often, if geared for it?
    3. Which is more "fun" to tank with, by which I mean a wider array of skills and a greater capacity to succeed where others might fail. Active "oh s*@#" is more fun than passive mitigations in my experience.
    4. Mounted combat... advantage captain, I assume?
    1) yep, both are at the lower end of dps in landscape usually.

2) There is nothing that I'm aware of, that cant be tanked as a cappy. Depending on who you play with, you can be maintank or supporter and roles switch quite often for cappies. Most cappies have a supportive DPS and a tanking line available and usually play both with quite defensive gear (but more crit/finesse in dps gear).

3) Cappy uses more skills while tanking. Guards usually just run their standard rotation and use one or two situational skills. Cappies have a larger number of skills to use while tanking to provide either groupbuffs or reduce incoming damage. The most often thing I see that guards do wrong is traiting for a trait that increases their incoming damage by 25%, while cappies that "fail" just dont use their defensive skills at the right time. Guards have one good heal on getting hit, one fullheal and two "you cant hit me"-skills, cappies have "I cant die", "less inc damage" in several variations, lots of healing skills, absorbing damage of all people around and generally nice buffs and MUCH more morale and incoming healing to counter lower mits.

4) MC is ####, but yea, cappy better. Guards only have melee attacks and cappy at least some ranged and aoe. I wont recommend using MC on higher levels anyway though, just too weak besides being fast with lags.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

4. Thanks, both. Very helpful comments!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    1) The most often thing I see that guards do wrong is traiting for a trait that increases their incoming damage by 25%, while cappies that "fail" just dont use their defensive skills at the right time.
    Can someone explain this bit to me?

Quote Originally Posted by seyahat View Post
    Can someone explain this bit to me?
    One of the best parts of playing a Guardian is having the traitline bonusses around fortification.
    Fortification stacks increase your Mitigations by 2% and can be stacked 5 times, resulting in +10% mits.
    You usually have 60-65% mits as a heavy armour class (60% cap plus 2% from warriors fortitude plus 3% from the healing minstrel, maybe 3% from the cappy in your group, maybe 1% physmits from being a dwarf...). These 10% get on top of that, which results in at least 25% less taken damage (70% mits versus 60% mits is 30% taken damage versus 40% taken damage) or even more if additional buffs are active.

The blueline capstone trait "Break Ranks" regularly cashes out fortifications for a buff that increases your damage. The tanks damage however is completely irrelevant anyway, while those fortifications are awesome.
    The only thing you might want to cashout your fortification with is the skills that doubles the mits from fortifications for some seconds... forgot the name... and it has another positive bug aligned as it allows to restart stacking them immediately although it says you cant do that.

So guards should permanently sit at 72-78% mitigations (depending on group setup), while other tanks generally have lower mits. Some guards regularly get down to 60%, which takes away their greatest bonus. Captains however permanently have higher morale to counter their lower mits and they can reduce incoming damage with several active skills. Many just dont do it while running instances, as they see those skills purely as panic-skills. Then, when something unusual happens, they panic and forget to hit them. If you know a fight, you usually should know if panicskills are needed for certain parts. If they are not, its usually better to use some of them to just make the healers job easier instead of not using them alltogether, which many do.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

7. Very helpful! Thanks!