We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New duos players

Hi, guys!
    Me and my brother are planning on returning to LOTRO after many years absence, and wonder what is the most fun, roleplayfriendly, unusual and interesting class combos to go as duos? We would of course prefer to be of the same race as well. All answers are welcome!
    Cheers.

For lvling in my opinion it is champion and minstrel. Champion is heavy AOE clps class and minstrel can dps and heal

Could be any of the heavier classes (Champion, Guardian, Captain), but I agree that Champ would be a good Heavy for a duo (for any larger group, I would recommend Guard for the Heavy). For the other toon, a mixture of dps and heals would be good, but you could also do a RuneKeeper instead of a Mini if you wanted to try a Caster class. RKs are a little more fragile, ie glass cannon-ish, than Minis though, esp at lower lvls, so the Heavy would need to keep them safe.

Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    Could be any of the heavier classes (Champion, Guardian, Captain), but I agree that Champ would be a good Heavy for a duo (for any larger group, I would recommend Guard for the Heavy). For the other toon, a mixture of dps and heals would be good, but you could also do a RuneKeeper instead of a Mini if you wanted to try a Caster class. RKs are a little more fragile, ie glass cannon-ish, than Minis though, esp at lower lvls, so the Heavy would need to keep them safe.
    Thanks, this is similar to what I've read elsewhere. What do you think about going with the same classes, example LM/LM or burg/burg. Would it be too difficult, or is it so that everything will work to some extent?

Truthfully, Lotro isn't that difficult; I'm a LM and have soloed 99% of the game (landscape), including Mordor with not much problem. Two people together should have no trouble at all, regardless of what classes they choose to play. If you wanted to do some of the instances, you may have some problems, but maybe not even there. Not sure, I haven't delved into many of the instances yet, just been going through the epic myself. If you do very much grouping, then each class has pretty defined roles in the group, so you may want to research what roles you want and understand that you may play differently in the group setting than you would in landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallind View Post
    Thanks, this is similar to what I've read elsewhere. What do you think about going with the same classes, example LM/LM or burg/burg. Would it be too difficult, or is it so that everything will work to some extent?
    My little kinship has tried groups of burglars. That works for landscape just fine. We can do three man instances that way too. We haven't tried anything larger as we only have 4 burgs total.

I would think RK/RK or mini/mini where one is traited for damage and one for heals would be an interesting way to play. I would think two LMs or burgs would be too similar to be interesting regardless of traiting. From a difficulty perspective, though, it doesn't matter. Almost everywhere on the landscape is soloable. Outside of group instances, the biggest difficulty in a duo is boredom IMHO.

Remember that with LM you essentially get another player, since LM pets are so strong now. If you run two LMs, one with the insanely dps-strong Lynx and one with a Bear tank, you would be basically untouchable, esp if you were helping your pets with red line DPS skills or yellow line group buffs.

Thanks guys, really helpful. We haven't really found out what we're going to do, but it seems like everything will work ok. If you guys have any experience with fun combos just feel free to reply. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by SharlaSedai View Post
    Remember that with LM you essentially get another player, since LM pets are so strong now. If you run two LMs, one with the insanely dps-strong Lynx and one with a Bear tank, you would be basically untouchable, esp if you were helping your pets with red line DPS skills or yellow line group buffs.
    As an LM, you might wanna also say you don't get the Lynx til level 30. Before that a bog lurker might be better suited to leveling. Also, some people find that leveling is better in blue line where your pet can be an emergency tank. It is my personal preference but then I've always had a soft spot for pet classes.

2 hunters work well, ports n stuff
    champ n mini did well for me once upon a time
    I ran with a LM when I leveled my cappy. cappy pet is not as sturdy as Lm pet
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Thanks guys, really helpful. We haven't really found out what we're going to do, but it seems like everything will work ok. If you guys have any experience with fun combos just feel free to reply. Thanks again.
    Well, my husband and I most often duo with a Hunter and a Lore-master. This is because he has a lot of Hunters and I have a lot of LMs. We find this works very well. All my LMs use the Lynx, and it's true that you don't get him till level 30. But leveling up to 20 is quick and easy in this game, and since all our alts are crafters, and you get XP for crafting ... it doesn't take very long.

The other advantage to the easy leveling up to 20 is that you can try different classes and if they don't work, delete them and try something else.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Hi, guys!
    the most fun, roleplayfriendly, unusual and interesting class combos
    Hello Hal,

I can't advise you on what's going to be fun or interesting for you and your brother but I do believe all choices are 'role-play friendly' as long as you can make the story work for you and enjoy living through it. As for 'unusual' I don't think you will invent the wheel in an 11 year old game so I will focus on functionality and compatibility:
    My experience with RPGs in general is that usually players are drawn to either melee or ranged characters and it is generally a good idea to stick with those preferences if you are planning to play long term. Therefore I am going to make 3 suggestions for the possible variations. They aren't necessarily the 'best' combos but in my experience they are pleasant matches and have very good potential even when duoing more challenging content.
    1., Melee + Melee: Captain and Champion
    2., Ranged + Ranged: Hunter and Lore-master
    3., Melee + Ranged: Captain + Minstrel

Happy Adventures!
    Last edited by Nogen; May 07 2018 at 06:36 PM.

I'm a returning player as well. I believe I'm around level 65+ captain ;however, if I am within the same level range we should run some quests together. I am willing to play with anybody