We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning player feeling a little lost!

So I haven't played with any seriousness, in many many years, well since Moria really (Moria was the bane of my Kinship). I hopped in and solo'd my guardian for a bit a few years ago, and left him at 87 or so. Well I'm back, Belthandir (formerly of Elendilmir, now Gladden) is nearly 92, and having fun in Rohan.

As a lorewhore, this game is awesome, and I'm loving being back in their interpretation of Tolkien's world.

As a previously serious player though, all the new mechanics have me a little bit unsure of what I should be doing to be my character's best. Is there a good resource for understanding the current legendary system (still toting my crafted SA 85 2H Sword at the moment). Is it true that once you hit level 100, then you can pretty much be done with legendary items as long as you find one you love? I'll be on the lookout for a 2H Sword, a Belt, and Guardian's Spear if that's the case.

I'm going to pour over the guardian forums to get my knowledge of a good solo spec with all the changes that have occurred, but I will take any advice on that as well. I figure I have some time before I worry about tanking again, as I have to learn a lot more to be at my old skill level in this new math.

Bah! Crafting is another thing I used to take great joy in, and now have to figure out all over again.

Also, any point in the new High Elf? And Beornings look fun, is that true?

Any help?

If you see any of these guys running around Gladden, say hi!
    Belthandir (Guardian)
    Thurgaraf (Burglar)
    Tirdoron (Captain)
    Echion (Warden)
    Mithwindras (Hunter)
    Ringalad (Champion)
    Last edited by Mithwindras; Apr 24 2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Belthandir of Elendilm... err Gladden
    115 Guardian/Armourer

Regarding your LI, I wouldn't recommend putting a lot of effort into your LI at this point, prior to reaching level 100. At level 100, you'll be able to imbue your LI and dispense with the old system of replacing your LI every so many levels. Of course you will unfortunately require a rather large number of starlit crystals and empowerment scrolls in order to get your imbued LI to max. In the meantime, there was a big jump up in LI from 85 to 86, so I would suggest that you replace your current LI with whatever LI you can find around your level - even third age. That should be the last LI you will need to replace prior to level 100. There is much discussion about imbued LI, as well as a number of guides, so you might look up some of those as you approach level 100 in preparation for imbuing your level 100 LI. I will also mention that the value of non-percentage passive stats on 2H weapons was reduced relatively with the overall stat inflation introduced with the Mordor xpac, while stats on the level cap offhand slot gear (weapons and shields) are much higher. Thus you'll probably want to go with sword and board when you get to level 100.

High Elfs get 10% OOC Run Speed, and 5% Light Damage and the same sword damage as Elves, so the run speed is nice. They also get a rez, which can be very helpful when there are no minnies around. There's a few other bonuses. Since passive stats don't make much difference, look at the bonuses they can unlock v other races and decide. Personally, I like them.

Great information on both counts, thanks for helping out!

I'll see if I can find a decent 3rd age lying around the auction house to get me to 100. I'm starting to feel the current swords limits.

Also, I think I might try out the High Elf on an alt, just have to decide if it will be a captain or a champion. Definitely a C though!
    115 Guardian/Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by Mithwindras View Post
    Great information on both counts, thanks for helping out!

I'll see if I can find a decent 3rd age lying around the auction house to get me to 100. I'm starting to feel the current swords limits.

Also, I think I might try out the High Elf on an alt, just have to decide if it will be a captain or a champion. Definitely a C though!
    FWIW you'll get more benefit from the HE light damage bonus playing a Capt. Of course that's far from the only criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by DKenny View Post
    FWIW you'll get more benefit from the HE light damage bonus playing a Capt. Of course that's far from the only criterion.
    That makes a lot of sense. I have a 65 Captain, and a 62 Champ, but if I were redoing the class from scratch, I'd have to think the champion would move faster. Also, deeding for virtues is quicker (if that is even still a thing).
    115 Guardian/Armourer

Quote Originally Posted by DKenny View Post
    Regarding your LI, I wouldn't recommend putting a lot of effort into your LI at this point, prior to reaching level 100. At level 100, you'll be able to imbue your LI and dispense with the old system of replacing your LI every so many levels. Of course you will unfortunately require a rather large number of starlit crystals and empowerment scrolls in order to get your imbued LI to max. In the meantime, there was a big jump up in LI from 85 to 86, so I would suggest that you replace your current LI with whatever LI you can find around your level - even third age. That should be the last LI you will need to replace prior to level 100. There is much discussion about imbued LI, as well as a number of guides, so you might look up some of those as you approach level 100 in preparation for imbuing your level 100 LI. I will also mention that the value of non-percentage passive stats on 2H weapons was reduced relatively with the overall stat inflation introduced with the Mordor xpac, while stats on the level cap offhand slot gear (weapons and shields) are much higher. Thus you'll probably want to go with sword and board when you get to level 100.
    Okay, so... my Guardian is level 103 now. Converted from a 2H weapon to sword and board (for now, might change if I find a decent 2H 100 LI).

Do I imbue my third age legendary, or start looking to use non legendary weapons to keep my DPS up while solo-ing to 115?
    115 Guardian/Armourer

Okay, so... my Guardian is level 103 now. Converted from a 2H weapon to sword and board (for now, might change if I find a decent 2H 100 LI).

Do I imbue my third age legendary, or start looking to use non legendary weapons to keep my DPS up while solo-ing to 115?
    You should find a First Age LI and imbue that. Then start acquiring starlits and scrolls of empowerment to improve its DPS and legacies.

An imbued 3rd Age will be better than a non-imbued one, but you won't want to spend starlits and SoEs to improve it.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    You should find a First Age LI and imbue that. Then start acquiring starlits and scrolls of empowerment to improve its DPS and legacies.

An imbued 3rd Age will be better than a non-imbued one, but you won't want to spend starlits and SoEs to improve it.
    Completely agree. Finding a first age weapon can be challenging for a solo player, but totally worth it. You will want to level up and deconstruct as many third age guardian weapons as needed to collect all the legacies you prefer to have on your first age weapon (if your first age weapon doesn't come with the legacies you want). Do not imbue your first age weapon till it has all the legacies you want on it and the most important legacies are at the highest tier you can get them. This will save you time and money in the future.
    Also, post imbuement, your weapon will be temporarily weaker in many ways, but if you leveled up the DPS to max and applied 3 starlits to it, that dps will carry over after imbuing the weapon.

Your armor is as important as your weapon. I would do the grind in Dol Amroth to get at least two pieces of the guardian set bonus armor there as it has a Guardian's pledge cooldown bonus that will help you survive. The rest of the armor can be obtained from the heavy armor quartermaster. This set armor has 4 slots and will set you up for the transition between 105 and what comes after 106 without having to do a lot of group content.

Getting a First Age weapon isn't a big deal now. There are several ways to get the necessary symbol and then you craft it yourself or get someone to do that for you. In addition, you can get people to help you do Roving Threats of Eriador (North Downs, Evendim, Misty Mountains, Forochel, and Angmar), Roving Threats of Rhovanion (Southern Mirkwood), or Roving Threats of Gondor (Western Gondor through The Wastes, though not every zone has them). Once you have 50 Gift-giver's brands from these, you can barter for the necessary weapon. You can't, though, barter for the class item. Personally, unless you're going to shoot for high end T2C raiding, a 2nd Ager will be just as good for most users, since the passives are not that much better as long as you are not using a 2handed weapon. For those, go for the 1st Ager, hoping for luck with the passives.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Wow, great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I'm 104, doing mostly level 100 content right now as I get through the epic story line. Minas Tirith is beautiful, but kind of a laborious PITA to quest through, at least my first time through. I kinda skipped a lot of quest chains, moving through the epic story, and intend to go back through a lot of them (maybe as I start getting things in shape to craft my first age legendaries).

This slotted essence gear is a little overwhelming at first too, and I've largely been vaulting them until I have time to really study it.

I'm going to look into getting 1A/2A LI's, but on Gladden they seem to go for about 150 more gold than I currently have, so if itsn't a world drop, it's likely to be crafted. If anyone has a 1A Spear, Great Sword, or Belt lying around, let me know.

Oh, whats the magic number for deconstructing 3A LIs? I seem to remember that x1 (i.e. 11, 21, 31...) was always better than x0 (i.e. 10, 20, 30...) but beyond that, I don't know of any specific sweet spot.
    115 Guardian/Armourer

If you get your hands on the 1st Age symbol, ask in WC someone will craft it for you - Gladden is very "user-friendly". In fact I'll PM you if I see you online, my crafters can make pretty much everything.

As for decon - 31 is the usual level although I did take some to 51 for better IXP runes while I was preparing for imbuement.

So, I hit the cap!

I have a decent First Age 2H sword, a passable second age belt, and I'm adventuring in Mordor where I've finally hit the wall on being lazy about stats.

I need to get some essences in my gear, get some decent relics to slot, and probably re-trait a bit, because even-level mobs are eating my lunch. (102 LoE with a mix of quest reward, crafted, and drop gear)

Whats the right strategy for acquiring decent essences and relics (and gear, for that matter)?

Also, were do I find another symbol to craft a First Age 1H weapon so I can sword and board when things get nuts?
    115 Guardian/Armourer

I'm hoping to re-connect with my old kinship but I see that Dwarrowdelf is no longer an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hythel45 View Post
    I'm hoping to re-connect with my old kinship but I see that Dwarrowdelf is no longer an option.
    Check Dwarrowdelf sub-forum, maybe your old kinship posted their destination when moved out.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/forumdi...16-Dwarrowdelf

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

Thank you for the information. I managed to find some of my old kinmates that transferred to Crickhollow and Landroval, so it appears that I will be joining each group in those servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hythel45 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I managed to find some of my old kinmates that transferred to Crickhollow and Landroval, so it appears that I will be joining each group in those servers.
    Great! Welcome back to Middle-Eath...

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!