We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Returning to LOTRO, seeking advice on mainly solo and minor group play class (tank)

Returning to lotro after I think 3 years I was curious what status the tanks were in now a days. I'm currently playing a guardian but I was seeing some other threads mentioning where Guardian falls a little short in the end game? I'm mainly going to be working on solo content or grouping with my small guild. Nothing overly hardcore as most of my time will be solo or duo with my husband. Is guardian still the way to go or should I try and work on learning warden for tanking? I never got too far on my warden last time and I admit to being a little overwhelmed remembering the last time I tried to learn it.

I don't have a lot of free time to level a bunch of classes so I was curious what would be a better use of my time in the long run of things. We're not planning anything too hardcore as most of us have a lot going on in other games while playing this casually.
    Last edited by codekitten; Apr 21 2018 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codekitten View Post
    Returning to lotro after I think 3 years I was curious what status the tanks were in now a days. I'm currently playing a guardian but I was seeing some other threads mentioning where Guardian falls a little short in the end game? I'm mainly going to be working on solo content or grouping with my small guild. Nothing overly hardcore as most of my time will be solo or duo with my husband. Is guardian still the way to go or should I try and work on learning warden for tanking? I never got too far on my warden last time and I admit to being a little overwhelmed remembering the last time I tried to learn it.

Also while I am asking how is champion for soloing? I remember enjoying champion and I may have the free time to level one as a second class.
    I play a guardian at end game and can solo through any landscape content with no problem. I can also solo 3 man instances on tier 1 and even some on tier 2.

Your small group will be happy to have a guard with them at end game especially if they have a dps class, at least my small kin is.
    Last edited by TiberiasKirk; Apr 21 2018 at 11:04 PM.

We have pretty much at the least one of each class. So we have healers and dps. I think at the moment I'm the only one taking up tanking as I've done it in the past on this game and most of my kinship is new players to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by codekitten View Post
    We have pretty much at the least one of each class. So we have healers and dps. I think at the moment I'm the only one taking up tanking as I've done it in the past on this game and most of my kinship is new players to the game.
    Guardians are great in groups, not great at solo content due to their low damage and the way finesse works for physical dps classes. Guardian is also one of the easiest classes in the game(not that any are particularly hard) if that matters. In regards to your questions about warden, I play one as my main for all end game content, it's a really engaging class and pretty much the only class I've enjoyed since the helms deep class changes. Inexperienced wardens, however, have a hard time getting spots in groups, are incredibly squishy, and only have average dps. If you're just going to be playing casually, I'd suggest warden over guard as it's more versatile, and does really really well in solo play and landscape content. I was pulling 15+ mobs in Mordor and coming out of the fights practically unscathed. Guards are pretty much the polar opposite end of the spectrum in Mordor landscape.

Burglar - Red line to solo and yellow line when you are in raids or groups. For raids a well built yellow burglar is absolutely mandatory. And as a burglar you can 1-3 shot mobs in Mordor in your red line when you are built for it, as you run around. It's currently an easy class to play, harder to master. But there's always a mandatory need for 1 burglar in raids. Otherwise if you want to be mandatory for all content roll a guardian/captain (terrible to solo enjoyably due to lack of DPS) or a Minstrel (best heals in game but squishy as hell when you solo).

Burgs are that great in-between support class and a lot of people do not realize what they are actually capable of.