We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Newly capped player - how to endgame

Just thinking out loud really. My guardian entered Mordor at level 113 couple of few weeks ago and reached the level cap after turning in a few Udun quests.
    I'm returning after a 5 year break however and the grind mechanics seem rather complex compared with when I was last playing. Want to avoid too many goof ups and wasted efforts, playing as I am a low DPS class.

So, first off we have Ash , which apparently used to drop off landscape mobs but these days only comes in at a trickle from deconstructing quest reward gear (and most quests don't reward with gear) or loot from Mordor instances. I've run a few CoS 105s but am not geared enough to be a tank for much else.

I now have about 1000 Ash but am not sure what to spend it on... I can get the purple gear, but if i'm going to trade in for Teal later, that's a waste isn't it?

The teal 115 appears to offer a slice of vit, a slice of might and a smaller amount of Fate, then either a chunk of mastery or an avoidance stat (parry/evade) depending on whether you chose the offense or defense set.

The Strongholds of the North gear, from what i can tell, has the same primary and secondary stats in the same ratio on every piece, just with ever so slightly more of everything, is that correct?

It does make you question the wisdom of grinding ash for already obsolete gear, but it's not doing much good just sitting in my wallet. Can I buy essences with it as well, or are those obsolete too? Also, I presume all the Ash barter NPCs in all the Gorgoroth camps offer the same selection, or do some give higher tier/allegiance npcs sell you better stuff?

The other thing I seem to be working towards are Signets of Thandrim, from doing landscape quests. I'm using these to buy crafting recipes as I have alts in all professions, but damn if it isn't slow going.

So far I've got most of the metalsmith multi use and about half the Jeweller Alliance Renewed level 115 purple recipes after completing the first three mordor zones (Udun, Dor Amarth, and Lhingris)

I had a major freakout upon reaching Talath Urui and discovering that there is more than one purple 115 set... there is also a superior (but still purple) one, had i wasted my signets? But the Superior set requires something called

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...oroth_Dungeons

which I've not ever seen drop so far. I've not even touched the oneshot recipes or essence ones... and i can see myself running out of quests before i have them all.

I take it there's some lovely repeatables to grind too? Seriously, I don't think i want to do that grind on my guard - I might just level up the champ and hunter and get them to earn their own damn recipes.

So far I have 122 LoE. Level 113 signature mobs take as long to kill as Elite Masters outside mordor, and i can't see that getting better . Maybe I'm a little burned out after the levelling up process , but I feel as though I'm so far behind that I'm never going to catch up and become raid ready. It's hard too , since i started levelling a hunter/woodworker and seeing how much easier they are to bang quests out with.
    Elf females - Nemulias (grd) Arenor (min - retired)
    Men - Farrowden (Champ), Rhoswith (lm), Manorborn (cpt)
    In Training : Snorlin (rk)
    Tankstrels RIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQv83k6arY

Quote Originally Posted by Nemulas View Post
    Just thinking out loud really. My guardian entered Mordor at level 113 couple of few weeks ago and reached the level cap after turning in a few Udun quests.
    I'm returning after a 5 year break however and the grind mechanics seem rather complex compared with when I was last playing. Want to avoid too many goof ups and wasted efforts, playing as I am a low DPS class.

So, first off we have Ash , which apparently used to drop off landscape mobs but these days only comes in at a trickle from deconstructing quest reward gear (and most quests don't reward with gear) or loot from Mordor instances. I've run a few CoS 105s but am not geared enough to be a tank for much else.

I now have about 1000 Ash but am not sure what to spend it on... I can get the purple gear, but if i'm going to trade in for Teal later, that's a waste isn't it?

The teal 115 appears to offer a slice of vit, a slice of might and a smaller amount of Fate, then either a chunk of mastery or an avoidance stat (parry/evade) depending on whether you chose the offense or defense set.

The Strongholds of the North gear, from what i can tell, has the same primary and secondary stats in the same ratio on every piece, just with ever so slightly more of everything, is that correct?

It does make you question the wisdom of grinding ash for already obsolete gear, but it's not doing much good just sitting in my wallet. Can I buy essences with it as well, or are those obsolete too? Also, I presume all the Ash barter NPCs in all the Gorgoroth camps offer the same selection, or do some give higher tier/allegiance npcs sell you better stuff?

The other thing I seem to be working towards are Signets of Thandrim, from doing landscape quests. I'm using these to buy crafting recipes as I have alts in all professions, but damn if it isn't slow going.

So far I've got most of the metalsmith multi use and about half the Jeweller Alliance Renewed level 115 purple recipes after completing the first three mordor zones (Udun, Dor Amarth, and Lhingris)

I had a major freakout upon reaching Talath Urui and discovering that there is more than one purple 115 set... there is also a superior (but still purple) one, had i wasted my signets? But the Superior set requires something called

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...oroth_Dungeons

which I've not ever seen drop so far. I've not even touched the oneshot recipes or essence ones... and i can see myself running out of quests before i have them all.

I take it there's some lovely repeatables to grind too? Seriously, I don't think i want to do that grind on my guard - I might just level up the champ and hunter and get them to earn their own damn recipes.

So far I have 122 LoE. Level 113 signature mobs take as long to kill as Elite Masters outside mordor, and i can't see that getting better . Maybe I'm a little burned out after the levelling up process , but I feel as though I'm so far behind that I'm never going to catch up and become raid ready. It's hard too , since i started levelling a hunter/woodworker and seeing how much easier they are to bang quests out with.
    Guardians are in probably the worst spot of any class regarding landscape content. My advice is to finish the black book of mordor questline, save up your ash as you go. Save your signets for LI relics, recipes for empowered abyssal essences, and the class set helmet recipe. Once you clear the black book in mordor, move onto Dale, Erebor, and Felegoth. Purchase as many rep accelerators from the skirmish camp as you can afford, and pop them when turning in Erebor dwarf rep quests. The questline through the northern stronghold zone gives the best non raid gear(340 ilvl) and some nice 345 ilvl jewellery. The only way you'll get into any groups is as a blue line guardian so I'd suggest focusing your gear around that first.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by gaara908776 View Post
    Guardians are in probably the worst spot of any class regarding landscape content. My advice is to finish the black book of mordor questline, save up your ash as you go. Save your signets for LI relics, recipes for empowered abyssal essences, and the class set helmet recipe. Once you clear the black book in mordor, move onto Dale, Erebor, and Felegoth. Purchase as many rep accelerators from the skirmish camp as you can afford, and pop them when turning in Erebor dwarf rep quests. The questline through the northern stronghold zone gives the best non raid gear(340 ilvl) and some nice 345 ilvl jewellery. The only way you'll get into any groups is as a blue line guardian so I'd suggest focusing your gear around that first.

Hope this helps
    I agree with this.

Though I would say if you feel you need it, the level 112 purple ash gear is really cheap (70 ash per piece) and, depending on what gear you are using now of course, it may help speed you up at least a bit. Later you can ash the pieces you bought back for 40 ash a piece, so you'd really only lose 30 a piece in the end, which isn't much. That gear easily got me through Mordor, and was a nice step up from what I had been using prior. The northern strongholds gear will replace it later, and it's faster and easier to get than ash gear is anyways.

Also I didn't see anything about your weapon, but if you aren't using one already, then you could get a level 100 FA 2H sword for solo play. Since the anniversary event just started, you'll be able to farm Anfalas star lit crystals from it, which I highly recommend as it's probably the easiest way to get them and you'll need a lot of them to raise the DPS of your LIs. Also be sure to read around until you find a nice red build for solo guardian play if you haven't already. Blue for groups, but red will be faster solo if you aren't already utilizing it.

On the plus side, Guardian is still a relevant class, so when you are able to catch up there will be spots for you in groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeneth View Post
    I agree with this.

Though I would say if you feel you need it, the level 112 purple ash gear is really cheap (70 ash per piece) and, depending on what gear you are using now of course, it may help speed you up at least a bit. Later you can ash the pieces you bought back for 40 ash a piece, so you'd really only lose 30 a piece in the end, which isn't much. That gear easily got me through Mordor, and was a nice step up from what I had been using prior. The northern strongholds gear will replace it later, and it's faster and easier to get than ash gear is anyways.
    Atm 5/6 armour pieces + shield are crafted 115 purple. Got some teal level 110 shoulders, a purple crafted 115 cloaking device (a.k.a. a cloak), two purple crafted 115 rings and bracelets. Pocket and necklace from epic book and are green, looking to replace. The earrings are level 110 things that dropped in 3/6 man instances.

Part of the difficulty I'm having is these crafted purples are multi output recipes and the barter vendor (and lotro wiki) only show the stats on the first option, not the other six. So it's a leap of faith every time i purchase one.

I need to upgrade for Talath Urui. In Lhingris, I had sufficient defence to pull six at a time safely, and to wander around enemy-infested campments looking for items without concerning myself over what i agro. T.U. got a lot of fire damage however, which means I can't use such reckless tactics to offset my low damage. Really I just need to man up, make a good grinding playlist and get on with it.

The only way Mordor differs to other zones is that some landscape quests are like raids. Some enemy camps are big and dense and it can take me an hour to fight my way to the objective. I'll barely be able to drop agro/get out of combat at any point and there won't be any safe places to log out until i'm done and leave. If I die, it means starting over and another hour long slog to get to where i was. Then there's all the aimless wandering around while fighting you get in places like Durthang.

So whether the door bell rings, your car alarm starts sounding, the fire alarm goes off or you smell smoke, once you take a quest like that it's no interruptions , Period.
    Elf females - Nemulias (grd) Arenor (min - retired)
    Men - Farrowden (Champ), Rhoswith (lm), Manorborn (cpt)
    In Training : Snorlin (rk)
    Tankstrels RIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQv83k6arY

A couple of points.

Are you aware of the Mordor Allegiance halls? These are four new rep factions, based on the four main free peoples races. I won't write a wall of text on them, here's the lotro wiki description. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Allegiance_System

The reason why I'm mentioning them is because they have a couple of extra barter NPC's that accept Ash for some of their items, but they also add a couple of new barter tokens that you will need to grind repeatable hall quests to earn.

Then there's the newest zone, Strongholds of the North, with three new rep factions, but all three factions use the same barter token. The factions are the Elves of Felegoth, Men of Dale and Dwarves of Erebor. The elves have Agility based armour and jewellery, Men of Dale have Will based gear and Dwarves of Erebor have the Might based gear.

In terms of general story line for the new zone, the Dwarves are the last faction you get to, so it takes a while for might based classes to earn rep with the faction that has the newest might based gear.

Depending on how you prefer to gear and play as a guard, you may not be able to put together an 'ideal" set of gear with items only from the Strongholds zone, you may want to mix gear from Mordor and the new zone.

Just to make things a bit easier, here are the Dwarf barter NPC's with the new might based gear (the links for some of the individual pieces of gear are still incomplete).
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Qua...rebor_Rewards)
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Qua...ebor_Crafting)

I'll also point out that there isn't enough rep from once only quests in the new zone to get beyond friend with any of the new factions, you will need to do tasks and repeatable quests, so rep acceleration items can be useful to shorten the rep grind in the new zone.

As for having a tough time soloing the landscape as a guard, you're not the only one. There are some repeatable quests in Mordor that I simply don't touch because it just takes too long to get through the mobsin certain areas to complete the quests. I've been through the Strongholds zone and I'm slowly upgrading my gear as I earn more rep and tokens, but there are also a couple of Mordor pieces I want that I'm still working towards as well.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)