We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Stone of the Tourist: an easy project for explorers, RPers, and others

This idea was invented for the sake of roleplay but would also be worth purchasing for many non-roleplayers, such as concert-goers, and people who simply want to see and explore all the amazing vistas that LOTRO has to offer. Especially as many of the most beautiful (or terrible) places are high-level. I've taken pains to make the idea something that probably won't take much developer time, so it could be sold at a reasonable price -- say 595 LOTRO points -- and still make SSG some profit.

Stone of the Tourist: A pocket item bought from the store, bound to account on acquire. When equipped, you can wander the lands of Middle-earth to explore, without being threatened by its dangers, but also, without being able to benefit from your travels, beyond the chance to see the lands you're in.

Specifically, while it is equipped:
    • Nothing will aggro on or attack you.
    • You take no damage or afflictions.
    • You cannot use any combat or healing skills.
    • You cannot gain any experience.
    • You cannot advance or complete any quests.
    • You cannot advance any deeds, or have any deeds bestowed.
    • You cannot craft, or collect materials.
    • You cannot interact with most NPCs, notably, quest-givers, barterers, vendors, forge-masters, relic-masters, etc.
    • You cannot interact with landscape objects like quest items and treasure nodes. (But you can open doors you would otherwise be able to open.)
    • You can interact with already-known (yellow-icon) stable-masters, but cannot interact with unknown (blue-icon) stable-masters.
    • No auto-bestow quests will bestow on you.
    • You don't get any warnings, red screen, slowdowns, or other effects of being in an area over your level.
    • No change to defeat behavior: if you're in an area way over level, you retreat to a home zone, otherwise to the nearest retreat circle.
    • Unequipping it instantly teleports you to a retreat circle exactly as if defeated.
    • Does not work in instances, only landscape.
    • Does not work in the Ettenmoors or any other PVP zone.
    • Does not work in whatever is the most recently released region/expansion. (I.e., right now it would work in Mordor but not Northern Mirkwood and Dale-lands.)

Note that there will be places you still can't go with this because of rep or quest gating -- e.g., Southern Mirkwood, after-battle parts of Gondor, that place in Stangard, and all of Moria -- but that's still better than nothing. (It'd be better, though, if it's not too much developer work, if the Stone also allowed you a way to get into those places. At least Moria.)

If anyone can think of a way to use this for any benefit (other than getting to go places and RP there), post it so we can find a way to close it off.
    Last edited by HunterGreen; Apr 23 2018 at 11:46 AM.

Thumbs up

SIGNED.

I think this is a wonderful idea, and SSG would have nothing to lose, and quite a bit to gain, from implementing it.
    Owner - Laurelin RP Group Discord server - https://discord.me/laurelinrp

That is a neat idea.

No. It's a game. Play it like rest of us. Max level player already doesn't attract mobs anywhere but mordor/Northern Mirkwood.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    No. It's a game. Play it like rest of us. Max level player already doesn't attract mobs anywhere but mordor/Northern Mirkwood.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's already at least two, possibly more, ways to play the game. Hope you enjoy your single one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's already at least two, possibly more, ways to play the game. Hope you enjoy your single one, though.
    As much as I like RP, it might be used as an exploit. For example, you could use it to get to a place that's meant to be challenging to get to and then take it off, pick up an item or even discover a location to complete a deed, then put it back on.

While it sounds like a neat idea, the item use would have to be restricted in some way - like that it stays equipped till you log out.
    Otherwise it's a perfect workaround to finishing exploration deeds(even in red zones) and mats farming, as pointed out earlier.

• If you are defeated (e.g., to a fall) you retreat to the retreat circle appropriate to your level, as usual.
    • If you are in a region over your level when you unequip the Stone, you immediately retreat as above.
    OP already accounted for that. Sounds good to me.

There is some hidden idea behind siipperi's words: we have already aria of valar, which allows us to wander up to lvl 95-96 regions without any issue.

On the other side can you imagine tourists in Dol Guldur, Barad Gularan, Fangorn or other dangerous places who are not skilled fighters?
    Ich bin kein Deutscher, sorry für Grammatik
    Eglish isn't my native language, sorry for mistakes

Would it let me see the inside of instances that I'd like to see, but would kill me instantly if I went in in propria persona? I'd like that.

Way back in Asheron's Call, Sentinels had a command that would make them invulnerable to any attack. I forget what it was called (I was never a Sentinel, though I was getting ready to apply when they shut the Online Team down), but I bet GMs still have it. I suspect it would be, not a coding problem, but a procedural problem as SSG decided whether or not to make it available in the Store.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I hope I can get some unique deeds with the stone on, like walking into Mordor on foot.

And? It doesn't make any sense business wise to allow players to bypass all content and see all areas when there's already option to do so for majority of areas for way higher price. This is game. It's meant to be played.

edit:
    To elaborate this further. Another example of this would be there are players that would like to get the best gear, and just do instances with it, not bother with other stuff, that is legit aspiration how some people with less time would like to play but that doesn't work in their business model. Grind, leveling, gearing, etc is part of the experience and removing those totally (especially for such minuscule amount of money) in order to allow player to experience what they want is bad for health of the game.
    Last edited by siipperi; Apr 19 2018 at 12:10 PM.

And? It doesn't make any sense business wise to allow players to bypass all content and see all areas when there's already option to do so for majority of areas for way higher price. This is game. It's meant to be played.
    I rarely agree with Siipperi, but he's really not wrong. If you want to visit Dunland, level to 65, want to see Mordor, level to 105.

You can easily pay to skip content, and theres literally nothing stopping you from going there except your level...
    Rimenuir | Fadhroreth | Daechamnir | Rimenswords | Beornemgarth | Rimensneak | Rimenoath | Rimenheals | Rimentank |
    Arkenstone Server, Meneldor native.
    Rimenbuff and Rimenpew: Landroval

The biggest issue I see with it is harassment. We already have people complaining about others showing up and disrupting their RP as well as people purposely moving in front of other players in groups for hours on end for the sole purpose of obscuring their view and making play impossible. Can you imagine trying to fight in an on-level area if someone is harassing you making it nearly impossible to see targets or fight, especially when they are some level 6 FtP character created for the sole purpose of harassing level 115 players? The price would have to be exorbitant and it should only be allowed on VIP accounts that way if someone uses it to harass another player they have something significant at risk; if you want to explore without consequence, sub for at least one month. It should also be disabled in any PvMP zone - otherwise people would use it to distract enemy players since the enemy wouldn't know which players are there to fight and which can't be harmed.

You should also be immediately ported to your closest appropriate res circle whenever removing it, regardless of whether you are in an overlevelled area to prevent travelling within difficult areas that are still "on level" such as the small group area in the river valley north of Dol Amroth and then removing the item to complete deeds in an area you wouldn't have otherwise been able to reach even though it is "on level".

Other than that, I don't see any harm in creating a passive, spectator mode, especially if the price is high enough. Perhaps while worn it should bestow a title such as "The spendthrift tourist"
    Last edited by Garan; Apr 19 2018 at 12:23 PM.

I think the Blessing and Aria are just way too costly to use for tourism and roleplay, and that's because they include a ton more stuff, so they ought to cost more.

I feel like showing off more of the world to people before they've played through the game is not going to discourage people from playing it -- exactly the opposite. The game is its own best selling point, and people who get to wander around in it more will be more, not less, inclined to want to play it. Personally, I don't know a single person who'd use this who wouldn't also be playing the game, they just might use this so they don't have to level every character that they have a reason to bring to various places. I suppose there might be some people who might buy just this and explore and never "play the game", but really, are those people who were going to play the game if this didn't exist? I doubt it. At least SSG got 595LP out of those folks, instead of nothing.

Interesting points about an exploit for deeds -- the ability to take it off in an on-level area after passing dangers to complete a deed. Going to revise it so it always teleports you back somewhere the moment it's taken off, to avoid that exploit.
    Last edited by HunterGreen; Apr 19 2018 at 01:17 PM.

If anyone can think of a way to use this for any benefit (other than getting to go places and RP there), post it so we can find a way to close it off.
    New Instance, FI, Raid, etc. Equip it, go in and map out the lay of the land; see what is where and how many. Won't see triggered mobs and other such things. Can draw map and eliminate the trial and error exploration.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    New Instance, FI, Raid, etc. Equip it, go in and map out the lay of the land; see what is where and how many. Won't see triggered mobs and other such things. Can draw map and eliminate the trial and error exploration.
    Don't really think that's a significant one, but I'll add something to prevent it.

Don't really think that's a significant one, but I'll add something to prevent it.
    That is not what you asked, but thank you anyway.

One question, how can a player be prevented from drawing a map external to the game? This one can not be prevented and though few would do this, there are those that would. Of course the maps are already included in the game, the player would just have to know where they are and how to unpak them.
    Ujest - 120 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I think the Blessing and Aria are just way too costly to use for tourism and roleplay, and that's because they include a ton more stuff, so they ought to cost more.

I feel like showing off more of the world to people before they've played through the game is not going to discourage people from playing it -- exactly the opposite. The game is its own best selling point, and people who get to wander around in it more will be more, not less, inclined to want to play it. Personally, I don't know a single person who'd use this who wouldn't also be playing the game, they just might use this so they don't have to level every character that they have a reason to bring to various places. I suppose there might be some people who might buy just this and explore and never "play the game", but really, are those people who were going to play the game if this didn't exist? I doubt it. At least SSG got 595LP out of those folks, instead of nothing.

Interesting points about an exploit for deeds -- the ability to take it off in an on-level area after passing dangers to complete a deed. Going to revise it so it always teleports you back somewhere the moment it's taken off, to avoid that exploit.
    Then level like rest of us. Why should game offer pass for players for <10$ when getting expansions and level that way is over 100$. Why should this kind of players get access to areas laughably easy like that? If those players won't be playing I doubt SSG has much interested in them anyway. Why should company develope content for players that weren't going to play the game...

As much as this sounds like a fun idea, this will probably make SSG lose money because players who don't want to level up and buy content to level through higher level areas and only like to explore will just buy that one Stone and explore the world, and not to mention only once, because you said it's "Bound to Account on Acquire".

One more thing, Tourist Mode diminishes your whole experience in playing LOTRO. You can just explore the whole of Middle Earth in 1 day and be done with it because you have nothing else to explore after that. Going through the story and the quests gives every location in LOTRO a meaning.

People could just argue, "but you can just don't buy it and don't use it". That same thing happened to lootboxes and people still buy them in the end and all that #### in the past few months happened. When something like this Stone were to be introduced into the store, it's just intrinsic human nature to want to try it out, and by trying it out, they will have already fallen into the trap where they'll not experience Middle Earth as they should have. There is another thread that suggests raids to be scaled down to Lv20 so that people who allegedly do not have the time to find a group to run the raids can experience the story. Just imagine what happens if this were to be implemented. Who will actually run the raid at the proper level to experience the story now? The only way to prevent people exploring Middle Earth in one day and be done with it is for SSG to not put this thing in the store.

Just to be make some points clear, RPers can explore the world safely and without any harm as long as you're not below the minimum level requirement in the area (when the location turns red). You just have to be careful of where you're going if the mobs are purple. Lv85 is the threshold where every player can explore the entirety of Middle Earth without having to face increased aggro (except for Northern Mirkwood right now, because of the gap in landscape).

Thus, /not signed.

Then level like rest of us. Why should game offer pass for players for <10$ when getting expansions and level that way is over 100$. Why should this kind of players get access to areas laughably easy like that? If those players won't be playing I doubt SSG has much interested in them anyway. Why should company develope content for players that weren't going to play the game...

Because this item would help roleplay (which is playing the game, it just leans more heavily on MMO instead of RPG) so freaking immensely it's not even funny anymore.

Ask yourself this- why isn't there roleplay going on basically after Rivendell? It's because:

A. The number of roleplayers has shrunk over the game's lifetime. Keep in mind player count in general has, though the game's still doing well and it seems player count is rising again.

B. The roleplaying audience isn't as much of a fan of the RPG side of MMORPG, and prefers the MMO side of things. Roleplayers don't grind out rep for quest packs to continue the main plot- it's for the cosmetics that work for their house.

The idea of the Stone of the Tourist isn't meant to be a way to cheat the game- it's meant to be a way to get into roleplaying without having to outlevel the areas first. There's a market here, and I don't think it'd shoot money made in the LOTRO Store in the foot at all- both/and is normally a much better model of business than either/or.

Nevertheless, ask yourself this- how would you get roleplay to spread to outside of the starter zones? Because that's what's being requested more than anything- some sort of support on the roleplaying side of things. It's a travesty that we have places like Lothlorien, the 21st Hall, most of Eastern Rohan, and King freakin' Elessar's court and there's no roleplay going on at all, when I know an option to support roleplay outside of the starter zones right out the gate would mean it'd shoot up like crazy. There is a market here, and I think HunterGreen's suggestion wouldn't eat into sales elsewhere.

Note that I don't consider the Valar boosts a form of roleplay support; they're clearly meant for the RPG side of things, though how effective they are is a matter of debate I don't want to get into here.

About the player population, how about buying this gives you a discount of valar? Then players who are just “trying it out” can continue their aggro free experience. They are likely to buy the valar because it’s on discount.

And while this makes the stone mode sound like a trial version, it is actually not, because with the stone you get precisely what is meant to be there in a tourist mode, with no limitations (or with the limitations that are just meant to be there in this playstyle).

I'm with Siipperi on this one. You want to see an area, level up and get there.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I'd pay A LOT for a free camera view. You click on the map, beam down there, no toon, no interactions, nothing but just relax and watch those amazing landscapes, hear the sounds. When sometime in the future the servers are gone, the sightseeing is what I'll miss the most. I often dream of a self contained client that would allow us to walk around virtual Middle Earth forever.
    Koti || Edoram || Naemanor || Hamberadan || Margia || Belegmellon || Khimi || Thederwen || Granetia || Stanno || Calendol || Gamilaban || Uibalion of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by DieLaFuzz View Post
    I'd pay A LOT for a free camera view. You click on the map, beam down there, no toon, no interactions, nothing but just relax and watch those amazing landscapes, hear the sounds. When sometime in the future the servers are gone, the sightseeing is what I'll miss the most. I often dream of a self contained client that would allow us to walk around virtual Middle Earth forever.

And you can already do that. The ability to relax and see the sights is currently in game. As said above, the only places where a maxed out character would draw aggro is Mordor and Northern Mirkwood.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast