We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Can I ignore LI's?

Hi there,

Used to play 3-4 years ago and thought I'd have another crack at this game but I'm just not going to do LI's again.
    My question is: is it possible to just use normal weaps at a slightly reduced character power level but still within say a 10-20% range of a full LI user?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohes View Post
    Hi there,

Used to play 3-4 years ago and thought I'd have another crack at this game but I'm just not going to do LI's again.
    My question is: is it possible to just use normal weaps at a slightly reduced character power level but still within say a 10-20% range of a full LI user?

It depends what you want to do; if you are landscape questing, it is perfectly doable; at lower levels the LI weapons are generally weaker than crafted Purple or Teal non-LI; I have been running a hunter with no LI, currently at L78 with no issues at all.

What will happen when they get to Mordor, I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    It depends what you want to do; if you are landscape questing, it is perfectly doable; at lower levels the LI weapons are generally weaker than crafted Purple or Teal non-LI; I have been running a hunter with no LI, currently at L78 with no issues at all.

What will happen when they get to Mordor, I dont know.
    Thanks for that info thats what i wanted to know. Im just interested in landscape and story i.e. ultra casual. Just want to see where it all leads to.

Depends on the class alot.
    There are for example no twohanded nonLI weapons at all for high levels. If you play a class which deals tactical damage, not having LI will leave you with MUCH less characterpower than having even the most basic LI, nowhere near 10-20% less power, more like 80% behind.
    If you play a class that relies on physical damage and uses onehanded melee weapons or a class with viable traitlines with dual wield like for example hunter/burglar/warden/champ/beorning or a tank class like guard/cappy, then playing without LI will leave you with weapons that actually can have higher DPS values but just dont have all those legacy bonusses, which might be somewhere like 20-50% behind, which is still totally enough to complete landscape as long as you know what you are doing. I think, the smallest difference in character power might be warden as he has quite weak LI legacies anyway and doesnt depend on LI mainstats for his skills.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Oelle View Post
    Depends on the class alot.
    There are for example no twohanded nonLI weapons at all for high levels. If you play a class which deals tactical damage, not having LI will leave you with MUCH less characterpower than having even the most basic LI, nowhere near 10-20% less power, more like 80% behind.
    If you play a class that relies on physical damage and uses onehanded melee weapons or a class with viable traitlines with dual wield like for example hunter/burglar/warden/champ/beorning or a tank class like guard/cappy, then playing without LI will leave you with weapons that actually can have higher DPS values but just dont have all those legacy bonusses, which might be somewhere like 20-50% behind, which is still totally enough to complete landscape as long as you know what you are doing. I think, the smallest difference in character power might be warden as he has quite weak LI legacies anyway and doesnt depend on LI mainstats for his skills.
    There actually are some two hander drops for high levels--I just got a two handed for my cappie that refuses to do the LI grind, lol. I have quite a few alts that I don't do much beyond crafting, but just do deeding in level cap lands with dropped or crafted weapons, so ya, can be done.

Quest and moblevel 86 will most likely be the start when you feel a non-li is inadequate (landscape questing).
    Not that the DPS number you're looking at on the weapon will be worse, probably the other way around.
    Just that the effect from the legacies boosting certain skills truly will help a lot.

If you DO decide to use a set of LIs, do so all out: swap them out when they get to max. This way you get some item xp runes to use at 100. IXP
    All quests level 50+ also grant IXP on top of regular XP. Pleasant enough stories without considering the rewards but a bit of a waste.

Can you ignore LIs? Yup.
    Might you eventually regret it? Maybe. Probably. Likely.

The LIs...it's something to do.

I have a 115 Burglar that is not using LI's and do just fine killing stuff in Mordor. I use a couple of crafted daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinara View Post
    I have a 115 Burglar that is not using LI's and do just fine killing stuff in Mordor. I use a couple of crafted daggers.
    Hmm, the max level is 115 now? Ive been away so long. Ok its good to know that in some cases crafted/looted stuff is ok If I was to use an LI because I didnt have any crafted weapon on hand, what would be the laziest way I could use one? Would it be feasable to just use the first one I got and just use that forever until I got a crafted weap? I just have these bad memories of the LI system being a spreadsheet type mini-game that never really interested me and took all my time. I dont want a repeat of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohes View Post
    Hmm, the max level is 115 now? Ive been away so long. Ok its good to know that in some cases crafted/looted stuff is ok If I was to use an LI because I didnt have any crafted weapon on hand, what would be the laziest way I could use one? Would it be feasable to just use the first one I got and just use that forever until I got a crafted weap? I just have these bad memories of the LI system being a spreadsheet type mini-game that never really interested me and took all my time. I dont want a repeat of that.
    The idea of the Imbued weapons that replace LI at L100 is that you dont need to keep swapping out weapons; however the grind to improve them is actually even WORSE.

The LI grind is a painful one(unless you have a large amount of gold for crystals and emp scrolls but even then it takes time). If not for Mordor and the large stats jump from 105 to 106, the answer would be more straightforward.
    I experimented with crafted weapons in Mordor but while doable it was simply a waste of time not to use my LIs - reduced cooldowns legacies alone made it worth it. But I had a maxed out imbued set for a long time now so the difference was palpable.

You'll have to try and see what works for you. Keeping several 3rd agers slotted so they gain IXP while you use non-LIs costs nothing. If you find one with the stats you like, imbue and ignore it till all the free tiers are maxed out before equipping it and deciding if it's worth the grind.

The dev team has been hinting at some changes to the system in order to lessen the grind, who knows, maybe they'll actually go for it.

The only part of the game that forces you to use LI's is Volume 2 Book 1, the quest line to unlock access to Moria. Some of the epic quests in that section require you to use an LI and you cannot progress the epic quests if you don't use the LI given to you in that quest chain. Once you get through that section, use whatever weapons you want for the rest of the game.

Another detail to be aware of is that depending on your class and the type of weapon you prefer to use, there are some sections of the game where finding a non-LI weapon that you would prefer to use is not so easy. On top of that, in some parts of the game most of the non-LI weapon options only have "common" damage, which landscape mobs are the most resistance to.

It is possible to play through the game without dealing with the LI grind all the time, but the options for non-LI weapons as you level up can be a bit limited in some level ranges.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
    The only part of the game that forces you to use LI's is Volume 2 Book 1, the quest line to unlock access to Moria. Some of the epic quests in that section require you to use an LI and you cannot progress the epic quests if you don't use the LI given to you in that quest chain. Once you get through that section, use whatever weapons you want for the rest of the game.

Another detail to be aware of is that depending on your class and the type of weapon you prefer to use, there are some sections of the game where finding a non-LI weapon that you would prefer to use is not so easy. On top of that, in some parts of the game most of the non-LI weapon options only have "common" damage, which landscape mobs are the most resistance to.

It is possible to play through the game without dealing with the LI grind all the time, but the options for non-LI weapons as you level up can be a bit limited in some level ranges.

FYI, those starter weapons NEED to be equipped to get them to take LI experience; after that you can just use your non LI and let the slotted LI gain experience.

I always found it curious when receiving non-LI weapons as rewards after Moria. I guess they aren't really needed (the LI's) unless you are doing group content. I've even seen max level weapons being sold in 'World' or 'Trade' chat.
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit."
    Elrendoes - 106 Warden // Elrendos - 76 Hunter // Elrendose - 69 Minstrel
    <- Goblin's For Hire ->
    Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Elrendos View Post
    I always found it curious when receiving non-LI weapons as rewards after Moria. I guess they aren't really needed (the LI's) unless you are doing group content. I've even seen max level weapons being sold in 'World' or 'Trade' chat.
    Offhands?

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Offhands?
    Yes, off-hand weapons for classes that can dual wield. If you look at the crafting recipes for weaponsmith and woodworker, two handed weapon recipes stop at level 65, but one handed weapon recipes are still available up to level 100, and bartered one handed weapons are still available above level 100.

If you play a class that can use two handed weapons but not dual wield, like captains and guards, you'll either need to go sword & board with a non-LI one handed weapon or give in to the LI grind to have access to high level two handed weapons. There might be some bartered or quest reward two handed weapons available at high levels but it's not something easily searched for.
    Therina - Hobbit Guard Rongo - Hobbit Warden
    Frood - Man Minstrel Garmun - Man Captain
    Zorosi - Dwarf Champ Froodaroon - Elf Hunter
    Southern Defenders - Arkenstone (formerly Elendilmir)

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Offhands?
    Hmmm... touche. Ha ha. That makes a little too much sense.
    "In a hole in the ground there lived a Hobbit."
    Elrendoes - 106 Warden // Elrendos - 76 Hunter // Elrendose - 69 Minstrel
    <- Goblin's For Hire ->
    Brandywine

I'm doing both. I'm ignoring and levelling up LI's.

Remember, you can level them without using them. I don't always equip them, but I collect them, reforge them, and crunch them down for relics and shards. Now for the weapons I equip, I'm just using the purple and teal stuff which I craft. Often, I'll equip the class item (not the weapon) just for the basic tier 1 relic bonuses, but I pay little attention to the legacies --they're so ######, it's not worth the time to fiddle with them.

Back to relics --at lvl 50, they're not bad. +800 to crit rating and +400 to physical / tactical mastery are actually helpful at that level. So my lvl 57 champ is running around with an 18.6% melee crit chance. Not bad. Almost half of that crit rating is from the LI's. Of course this doesn't scale very well, and all the posts above me are right --at lvl 85, +800 to crit rating is not as imposing. So I actually use the LI's more around level 50, and less as I level up --until I get to 100.

Also, I should point out that if you're running groups and raids, especially if you're a healer, a couple healing legacies can help --and sometimes every little bit helps... The caveat there is that requests for lvl 50 t2 raids are RARE, and even when they do run one, often they'll bring in a few 115 ringers to help. Most risky group content is done at or near the 115 cap. So the legacies were more useful when the cap was lower. Presently, the non-imbued legacies aren't really such a big deal.

Now my 115 hunter --different story. Imbuing a lvl 100 bow adds -er, not a ton- but significantly more... It's probably one of the most grindy and frustrating things in the game --getting all those legacies to lvl 69. On my hunter, from 50-99, I found the LI's to be a big pile of frustrating ####. My current lvl 100 bow and sword with everything maxed out is semi-decent.

Need to do a bit of parsing here, to see how much legacies affect things.

If you look at Anorien craft tier, stuff does not measure up at all. On my ILI sword, (warden) maxed DPS legacy, it is like 889dps. Anorien crit sword is 243dps, with stat bonuses like 200agi/vit, about 1k crit rating.

But Doomfold tier got some nasty stuff, albeit it is all lvl 115 required.
    Example doomfold sword (one requiring chunk of gorgoroth dungeons is about 1034dps beleriand, around 700 agi/vit, almost 3k crit rating and over 10k finesse. Plus 4 LoE as bonus.

That said, maxed Light damage legacy on LI is 14.6% so if one applies that to DPS, that is around 1018dps. And Surety of Death maxed is 29% damage bonus, would not want to lose that.

Also, Doomfold woodworkers got no javelin recipes, so for ranged on Warden, LI is pretty much all there is. There are Doomfold bows (mainly for classes like Champion), not sure how they measure vs LI hunter bows.

And then you got bridles, which can enhance your warsteed a fair bit. Those are also LI only.