We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Abyss Champs

Abyss Champs

Can you please do something about the problem with Champs and Abyss? I can't get an invite to run T2 Abyss on my Champ (people won't even respond), and my ash is almost capped. Champions are pretty much worthless in Abyss. The only parts where they are even slightly important we bypassed last time I ran it on T1.

Here are some possible improvements:
    1) Fix champions
    2) Adjust Abyss so champions are worth taking along
    3) Remove the requirement to complete Abyss T2 to purchase gear with ash (at least for champs)
    4) Sell Abyss T2 completion unlock in LOTRO store
    5) Release a new raid right away that isn't broken
    6) Figure something else out
    7) Hire someone else who can figure something out
    8) Randomly choose a player and ask them what you should do
    9) Create a 115 level class quest for champs that awards an Aria of the Valar so they'll know it's time to give up playing champs, because that class is no longer supported
    10) Change the name of Champs to Chumps so people at least know what they're getting

If it were up to me, then I'd remove the completion requirement to gear champs, while I worked on fixing champions and removing mechanisms designed to make champs worthless in raids. However, I know that's asking a lot, so I'd be willing to accept any solution at this point.

You could always join a kin with mates and do raid with them instead of with random (prescription rules) Pugs.
    Or run the raid yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by TaSwavo4God View Post
    You could always join a kin with mates and do raid with them instead of with random (prescription rules) Pugs.
    Or run the raid yourself?
    That doesn't really solve the problem. It's such a standard belief that Champs aren't worth taking along that just about everyone running Abyss goes along with it. Most groups new to Abyss want to maximize their chances of success...and the current thinking is: Don't take a Champ take another class that has more utility in the group.

Sure you can hope your kin will take your champ along, but IS it hindering them by taking a Champ? Most people don't want to tag along like a boat anchor that everyone else is having to overcompensate for. If Champs do serve some useful purpose as they are now, then why is it that no one agrees with that? I personally can't say...I've not been able to find a group and my kin doesn't yet run Abyss, most are still gearing up.

The real problem is the Abyss mechanics making everyone come to the conclusion that the Champion brings no useful skills for the group. That problem needs to be addressed. As everyone else finishes T2 Abyss and upgrades their gear it's just putting Champs farther and farther behind the curve and essentially making them desired even less. I'm not sure why everyone seems to deny this is a problem when almost every Champ in game know this IS the way Abyss raids are being run. All these "go cry somewhere else, run your own raid, quit looking for pugs" posts do not address the issue Champs can't deny is in place at this time....Champs are not being invited because current opinion is they do not help the raid in any way, short of one encounter.

This is the advantage to having multiple viable characters. I am a bit sad that my champ is not getting much action lately, but my mini and RK have a much easier time. Then in the next update, if RKs get a huge nerf, and champs get a buff, I will adapt. Repeat forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Int View Post
    Here are some possible improvements:
    1) Fix champions
    2) Adjust Abyss so champions are worth taking along
    3) Remove the requirement to complete Abyss T2 to purchase gear with ash (at least for champs)
    4) Sell Abyss T2 completion unlock in LOTRO store
    5) Release a new raid right away that isn't broken
    6) Figure something else out
    7) Hire someone else who can figure something out
    8) Randomly choose a player and ask them what you should do
    9) Create a 115 level class quest for champs that awards an Aria of the Valar so they'll know it's time to give up playing champs, because that class is no longer supported
    10) Change the name of Champs to Chumps so people at least know what they're getting
    1. Please do this.

2. I wouldn't adjust the Abyss specifically, just fix melee DPS and mitigations so that melee DPS can be viable.

3. That's cheap.

4. Please no Pay-to-win.

5. I'd rather they fix Naerband so that people will run it at 115. Another instance cluster is coming with U23 anyway.

6. Fix mitigations & finesse and scale up things like some of the Champ LI legacies and consumables so that they more appropriately buff.

7-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Int View Post
    1) Fix champions
    I'll settle for just this!
    "Never argue with a fool, it's difficult to tell the difference"