We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

SSG, if you're gonna do ONE QoL update this year...

...then let's switch servers without having to completely quit and restart the game client.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    ...then let's switch servers without having to completely quit and restart the game client.
    That would be nice. (Mind you, I play on only one server myself, but a lot of people play on several.)

But I wonder if it would be possible, considering the age of the game.

Fingers crossed.

What I'm certain isn't possible is the necessity of clicking on two EULAs every time you switch from Bullroarer to live or vice versa. That, I suspect, is a legal problem and not solvable by any amount of software.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Adding the ability to switch servers without logging back in would be a significant amount of work and could make the process take longer.

The current process is roughly:

1. Click shortcut to run invoker
    2. Invoker executes launcher.
    3. Launcher authenticates password and gets server selection
    4. Launcher executes lotroclient, passing it the authentication and server tokens
    5. Lotroclient loads and displays character selection info and connects to specified server.

So the launcher code in 3 & 4 would have to be merged into the lotroclient code and a new re-initialization routine created to clean up all the data in memory from playing on server A so that data for server B could be loaded when a server change occurred. When a player changed servers, they'd have to wait for the clean-up to complete before the client could load data for the next server selection. It's quite likely that this would make the process take longer than the current exit and log back in.

(You can see how long it takes the client to clean up memory by watching it in Task Manager after you exit. Even on a decent system it can piddle along for 1-2 minutes before the process finally exits.)
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

I think what the OP is asking for, is the ability to go to the launcher.
    It may be difficult to go to the launcher with the log in details already considered OK (i.e. half way through #3 in your list). This would entail calling the launcher in a different way but, if the code is written in an OOP language like C++ it shouldn't be overly complicated. Of course it still involves most of the loading of the Launcher (which closes when the Client opens). So I think this the weaker option.

What it needs, perhaps, is an additional option on the character select screen, in a similar way as we have now for the Creeps, but with a list of servers. When the user selects one and clicks 'Yes' the client goes back to where it was when it started (i.e. freshly called from the Launcher) with all info the same (account info) except with the new server selected instead. It then goes and gets a list of characters for the account but for this server.

The only reason for not doing it could be security concerns but an already open program need not pass any information to another program it still has it from when it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Adding the ability to switch servers without logging back in would be a significant amount of work and could make the process take longer.

4. Launcher executes lotroclient, passing it the authentication and server tokens
    5. Lotroclient loads and displays character selection info and connects to specified server.

So the launcher code in 3 & 4 would have to be merged into the lotroclient code and a new re-initialization routine created to clean up all the data in memory from playing on server A so that data for server B could be loaded when a server change occurred. When a player changed servers, they'd have to wait for the clean-up to complete before the client could load data for the next server selection. It's quite likely that this would make the process take longer than the current exit and log back in.

(You can see how long it takes the client to clean up memory by watching it in Task Manager after you exit. Even on a decent system it can piddle along for 1-2 minutes before the process finally exits.)

WBS is offline Weatherstock Wayfarer
    Destroyer of Worlds
    Quote Originally Posted by TaSwavo4God View Post
    I think what the OP is asking for, is the ability to go to the launcher.
    You mean like ticking the "Keep Launcher Open" option which means when you log out of one server the Launcher is still open and you just select the next server and enter game?

I'm already fed up with the people from other servers on their myriad of unplayed chars spamming up /trade and /wd asking to buy cash shop goods for their hoarded gold.
    The local few who spam the chats in the same manner and at the same PACE I can block. Ask them to please use the same alt for that stuff once and they tone it down.
    This is oceans of names in the lv 6-30 range.

You can put the effort in to start the client.
    The launcher is already open as long as you please.
    No thank you.

Or... SSG can rework the Launcher to just load the LotRO client, and then the client handles 1-4 so 4 and 5 can be done on the fly.... like every single other MMO out there aside from the SSG ones.
    Last edited by Almagnus1; Apr 17 2018 at 02:23 PM.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West

Quote Originally Posted by Almagnus1 View Post
    Or... SSG can rework the Launcher to just load the LotRO client, and then the client handles 1-4 so 4 and 5 can be done on the fly.... like every single other MMO out there aside from the SSG ones.
    That's a different way of arranging the process, but SSG would still have to rewrite the client's initialization code to first eliminate all the previous server's data.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Open Launcher
    When you get to Server Select screen click the down arrowhead upper right corner, third button from the right
    The click "Options"
    Select the "General" tab if not already selected
    Then click "Keep Launcher Open"
    Then close the Launcher

Now open Launcher and log in to the game on your desired server. Once finished on that server exit out of the game and select your next server. You have to exit a server before logging in to another server because of the way LOTRO stores server and character information - it is stored at the server's location.

Some cautions, once you click on "Log In" a second log in window will open over the current one, do not log in on this window. The log in session you just did is doing things in the background and will soon show itself. That second window that opened is for the next login to a server.

To allow multiple simultaneous game instances click "Allow multiple game instances"
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

That's a different way of arranging the process, but SSG would still have to rewrite the client's initialization code to first eliminate all the previous server's data.
    Not necessarily, as they'd just need to reorder the code. And even if the code is written in .NET 2.0 or 3.0 (which are both horribly obsolete at this point), modernizing into something C++ based is completely doable and would also help bring the client more in line with how WoW (with the Battle.net Launcher), FFXIV, and SWTOR (just to name a few) all behave with their respective launchers.

All the launcher should do is verify that the game client is completely up to date and **maybe** handle user authentication. Everything else should be handled by the game client so it's easier for the player to pick whichever realm they'd like to play on, and change realms at will.
    Maley Oakensage, Captain of Elendilmir

Alas Elendilmir, may you *jingle jangle* forever in the Forgotten West