We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Getting back to the original question "Why do Loremasters still play Red line anymore?"

The answer is simple, The flames are preeetty.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 90 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymore View Post
    Before the question about no one mentioning the Eagle, I had already mentioned it three posts above the question and noted the positioning above the shoulder as a problem.
    I certainly read that. Just my mind got more involved with the lynx.

I think it is not that black and white that when traited blue you let the pet do the job for you. In blue spec I still out-DPS my Lynx without a problem. In blue you can have quite active playstyle as well, having a pet as one of the tools in your toolbox. You can use the pet for aggro management, mob control, assistant DPS and interrupts/buffs while you concentrate on DPS and for CC when needed. Pet is also a nice tool to collect mobs to groups for you to launch AoE damage skills, high morale pool will keep it alive long enough in the middle of the group.

Since the beginning, my pet (usually Lynx) has been a companion on my travels and I used to trait full blue for a long time. Since the introduction of LI's the legacies buffed just your own skills in a comparison to pet skills so in practice pets became weaker and weaker as the LI's gained levels. Eventually it was way more beneficial to trait red and leave pet only as a side kick. Now with introduction of Mordor pets regained some of the old glory and are viable again so I switched back to blue.

One of the problems with red spec is the lag you introduce with many of your AoE skills, RoF being the worst. It's not a big problem for myself but when grouping it's virtually non-usable in places like Skoironk where it could cause group level wipes with huge lag spikes when introduced.

Out of interest, has anyone done any comparison between red vs. blue DPS numbers recently?

My LM has always -since getting enough trait points, that is- been orange (red/yellow, now yellow/red), and the few times I've tried blue was to use sic'em on a particularly nasty boss at an instance. I just like my character and not my pet to do the job (in both cases it's the person behind the screen playing one or the other, so nothing against blue), and red/yellow skills are far fancier... ;-P (I frequently used RoF for AoE while soloing, btw. Hits pretty hard and never had a lag problem).
    I had heard that Mordor forced LMs to go blue, so it is good news to hear orange can sneak in also. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Talttos View Post
    My LM has always -since getting enough trait points, that is- been orange (red/yellow, now yellow/red), and the few times I've tried blue was to use sic'em on a particularly nasty boss at an instance. I just like my character and not my pet to do the job (in both cases it's the person behind the screen playing one or the other, so nothing against blue), and red/yellow skills are far fancier... ;-P (I frequently used RoF for AoE while soloing, btw. Hits pretty hard and never had a lag problem).
    I had heard that Mordor forced LMs to go blue, so it is good news to hear orange can sneak in also. :-)
    Nothing in Mordor forces LMs to go blue. I had no issues at all with yellow-red. For those mobs that cant be CCed, bear was sturdy enough without any blue traits.

Its just nearly always easier to play content in defensive traitlines. Like its easier for yellow cappies, but faster for red ones. If you cant die, nothing can stop you from getting through^^
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I have no idea; all my LMs have always traited blue, all the way down to Tutelage of the Brown Wizard, before spending any points on any other tree.
    a pet +3 levels is good!
    Indispensable. Faced with a group of mobs, I can set my Onyx Lynx on the boss and use Sic 'em to attack everything else in sight, while I help my Lynx finish off the boss; and then we clean up whatever's left.
    I usually use sic'em on the "boss" but I use the saber cat. That has aoe damage and gathers up adds nicely imo. Sic'em I put on the boss and if he's gone before they are gone they can be used to help with clean up, since there is another saber cat in the mix at that time.. and a bear... and a bog lurker... well u know.
    Mind you, I don't try soloing mobs like that at level. I'm a LM, which means I'm a squishy weakling in light armour. My pets, and my husband's Hunter, are what keep me alive.
    I'm seeing that will tomes and other boosts of that nature (gear?) help make you less squishy. Personally, I don't know how other people do it. It did take me awhile to figure out how, but I managed to solo one of the 115 camps (where the rare treasure chests are) in Lhingris. I was ingloriously mopped up the first time but I let my cat do more work getting aggro before I tried to help him. It does take longer without help, though.
    Heh. It may be that many other LMs agree with you; I hardly ever see anyone use that skill, and have to take a second to remember what it is.
    Rof? You dont get that in blue line, I don't think. I think that is a red set trait. Don't quote me cuz I could be very wrong.
    [edit] I checked and you -can- get RoF in blue line but you have to spend 30 (60 actually for blue line) points to get it in red. Its the second to the last row in red.
    I'll take your word for it; I've never traited yellow either. Even in the opening days of SoA, when we didn't even have trait trees yet, and when (if my memory serves me correctly) we got the Bear before we got the Raven, and the Bear was a bumbling idiot who couldn't path worth sour apples and persisted in getting caught in tight corners-- I knew that once I got a *decent* Companion, s/he was going to save my bacon. In eleven years and six LMs, I've tried out most of the pets available, and I've settled on the Lynx. And each of my LMs manages to get the Tome of the Onyx Lynx, in memory of my cat Sebastian, 1998-2008.
    I think we got the raven first. I remember getting the raven in the old race-of-man intro. I think i even have a ss of the raven somewhere in the -second- version of the intro with a raven out. Now I use the bear until I can get a bog lurker cuz they do massive damage from range. Well, they do at low levels that is. Not that happy with lurker at higher levels as they tend to draw aggro to me and I don't like that much. That whole squishy thing.

Nice to see someone who has more (as many??) LM than I do.
    Last edited by Xhiu; Apr 27 2018 at 04:02 AM.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Such an incredibly lame-### thread... Pure red was never good for LM. Blue is situational. Red-yellow extremely powerful in the hands of the skilled.

I of course always do things backwards from the mainstream: ran blue/yellow when everyone said red line was godly, ran red/yellow through Gondor while everyone ahead of me in Mordor was lamenting that they couldn't survive there.

Now that I'm actually IN Mordor, I'm beginning to put together a Blue/Yellow set of LIs. Boy am I sick of the Minas Tirith dailies...

(And if you think I'm exaggerating, I also play a Yellow Hunter, a Blue Champion, and a Yellow Guardian.)
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    Getting back to the original question "Why do Loremasters still play Red line anymore?"

The answer is simple, The flames are preeetty.
    I like your answer best. Because we can burn the world if we want or command critters (including the real ones) to do it for us.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2