We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Why do Lore-Masters still play Red line anymore?

Since Mordor came out, it is plainly obvious that you are at a distinct disadvantage when fighting Mobs which are higher level than you (much more than before) and also you have a noticeable advantage when fighting Mobs which are lower level than you.

Which is why it makes a huge amount of sense to play a Blue line lore-master when doing normal questing rather than a Red line one. If you trait right down to the bottom of the Blue line, your pet gains 3 levels which means it is fighting the Mobs you tell it to attack with a massive advantage. I have nearly finished Northern Mirkwood with my Blue line Lore-master and it has only died once and that's only when I got jumped by 4 mobs accidently. (and it nearly won anyway!)

I swapped over from red to blue half way through Mordor and my pet was amazing. Landscape is so easy now on blue line compared to red.

OK you don't get "Ents Go To War" but you get "Sic 'Em" which is just as good (better IMHO).

And the best thing that you DON'T get is "Ring of Fire", which should be renamed as "Ring Of Can't See on Earth What It Is You Are Doing Anymore" or "Ring Of Lets Pull Lots Of Mobs We Didn't Mean To"

(BTW - This post has nothing to do with YELLOW line lore-masters which are awesome in raids etc.)

I normally play red line, but I have not yet stepped into Mordor with a lore master. I'm curious to see how that works out.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Blue line (purpley really) has been amazing for a long time now. Some people just like fire and burning things. Maybe red is good for other stuff, but for questing and non-dungeon content blue is so fun.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.

Red line is still played because some people like to play an active role in the game instead of going ezmode and having the pet do everything for them which imo is lazy.

I've been playing yellow line since my LM exists and its amazing in Mordor. There actually is use in CC again and the burst from insult to injury hits quite hard.
    I dislike blueline as I like to do the job myself instead of letting the pet do the work... but I see how its easier than red. Still, yellow is the coolest traitline imo, as long as enemies are not immune against CC. If they are, yellowline sucks.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Anführer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Madmanthief View Post
    Red line is still played because some people like to play an active role in the game instead of going ezmode and having the pet do everything for them which imo is lazy.
    ^ this.

Before Mordor I never quested with my pet on my lm cause imo there was no need for it and even with Mordor I still only use my pet like half the time. As such my playstyle on my lm is run a red-yellow hybrid, pull a group of mobs together > hit bane flare (with an unimbued swap book for extra targets) > hit Ancient Craft (with the trait from yellow to buff it further) > then lighting storm. If anything is alive after that I'll usually hit a Sticky Gourd and/or Ring of Fire (which is one fo my favourite skills and I have never had any lag issues with). Yes, half the time I will have to hit a quick Wisdom to save myself from dying and have in fact died numerous times questing in Mordor when it bugged out (applied the cooldown but didn't give the heal) but to me that is half the fun of it And ofc half the time I will quest in yellow-red as I cbf traiting back after raiding

So as such it makes no sense for me to trait a line that buffs something I rarely use. But different strokes for different folks and all that
    Last edited by Mirillin; Apr 16 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Typos

Digaloo may or may not be a troll but I generally agree with everything he says about blue line LM.

I also agree although red is demonstrably weaker against landscape mobs at most level ranges it gives more player involvement and can be more fun and less lazy for many people.

I am not one of them - I prefer blue.

Pre-Mordor, I ran red/yellow line with no pet because it was easy enough without it. In Mordor, I still run red/yellow but with a pet, usually the bear. Pull a group (maybe Blinding Flash on one tough mob so I can deal with him later), Storm Lore to stun them, Ancient Craft, Lightning Storm. Sticky Gourd if anything is still standing. If things get unpleasant, use the bear taunt to pull the toughest guy off me while I mop up the rest. It even works on bosses. I soloed all the Mordor hidden threats this weekend that way, though a couple were a near thing.

I haven't run blue line in... ever, I think. Just don't like having an NPC do all the work.

I have no idea; all my LMs have always traited blue, all the way down to Tutelage of the Brown Wizard, before spending any points on any other tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Digaloo View Post
    I swapped over from red to blue half way through Mordor and my pet was amazing. Landscape is so easy now on blue line compared to red.

OK you don't get "Ents Go To War" but you get "Sic 'Em" which is just as good (better IMHO).
    Indispensable. Faced with a group of mobs, I can set my Onyx Lynx on the boss and use Sic 'em to attack everything else in sight, while I help my Lynx finish off the boss; and then we clean up whatever's left.

Mind you, I don't try soloing mobs like that at level. I'm a LM, which means I'm a squishy weakling in light armour. My pets, and my husband's Hunter, are what keep me alive.

And the best thing that you DON'T get is "Ring of Fire", which should be renamed as "Ring Of Can't See on Earth What It Is You Are Doing Anymore" or "Ring Of Lets Pull Lots Of Mobs We Didn't Mean To"
    Heh. It may be that many other LMs agree with you; I hardly ever see anyone use that skill, and have to take a second to remember what it is.

(BTW - This post has nothing to do with YELLOW line lore-masters which are awesome in raids etc.)
    I'll take your word for it; I've never traited yellow either. Even in the opening days of SoA, when we didn't even have trait trees yet, and when (if my memory serves me correctly) we got the Bear before we got the Raven, and the Bear was a bumbling idiot who couldn't path worth sour apples and persisted in getting caught in tight corners-- I knew that once I got a *decent* Companion, s/he was going to save my bacon. In eleven years and six LMs, I've tried out most of the pets available, and I've settled on the Lynx. And each of my LMs manages to get the Tome of the Onyx Lynx, in memory of my cat Sebastian, 1998-2008.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    I have no idea; all my LMs have always traited blue, all the way down to Tutelage of the Brown Wizard, before spending any points on any other tree.
    a pet +3 levels is good!
    Indispensable. Faced with a group of mobs, I can set my Onyx Lynx on the boss and use Sic 'em to attack everything else in sight, while I help my Lynx finish off the boss; and then we clean up whatever's left.
    I usually use sic'em on the "boss" but I use the saber cat. That has aoe damage and gathers up adds nicely imo. Sic'em I put on the boss and if he's gone before they are gone they can be used to help with clean up, since there is another saber cat in the mix at that time.. and a bear... and a bog lurker... well u know.
    Mind you, I don't try soloing mobs like that at level. I'm a LM, which means I'm a squishy weakling in light armour. My pets, and my husband's Hunter, are what keep me alive.
    I'm seeing that will tomes and other boosts of that nature (gear?) help make you less squishy. Personally, I don't know how other people do it. It did take me awhile to figure out how, but I managed to solo one of the 115 camps (where the rare treasure chests are) in Lhingris. I was ingloriously mopped up the first time but I let my cat do more work getting aggro before I tried to help him. It does take longer without help, though.
    Heh. It may be that many other LMs agree with you; I hardly ever see anyone use that skill, and have to take a second to remember what it is.
    Rof? You dont get that in blue line, I don't think. I think that is a red set trait. Don't quote me cuz I could be very wrong.
    [edit] I checked and you -can- get RoF in blue line but you have to spend 30 (60 actually for blue line) points to get it in red. Its the second to the last row in red.
    I'll take your word for it; I've never traited yellow either. Even in the opening days of SoA, when we didn't even have trait trees yet, and when (if my memory serves me correctly) we got the Bear before we got the Raven, and the Bear was a bumbling idiot who couldn't path worth sour apples and persisted in getting caught in tight corners-- I knew that once I got a *decent* Companion, s/he was going to save my bacon. In eleven years and six LMs, I've tried out most of the pets available, and I've settled on the Lynx. And each of my LMs manages to get the Tome of the Onyx Lynx, in memory of my cat Sebastian, 1998-2008.
    I think we got the raven first. I remember getting the raven in the old race-of-man intro. I think i even have a ss of the raven somewhere in the -second- version of the intro with a raven out. Now I use the bear until I can get a bog lurker cuz they do massive damage from range. Well, they do at low levels that is. Not that happy with lurker at higher levels as they tend to draw aggro to me and I don't like that much. That whole squishy thing.

Nice to see someone who has more (as many??) LM than I do.
    Last edited by Xhiu; Apr 27 2018 at 04:02 AM.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Such an incredibly lame-### thread... Pure red was never good for LM. Blue is situational. Red-yellow extremely powerful in the hands of the skilled.

I of course always do things backwards from the mainstream: ran blue/yellow when everyone said red line was godly, ran red/yellow through Gondor while everyone ahead of me in Mordor was lamenting that they couldn't survive there.

Now that I'm actually IN Mordor, I'm beginning to put together a Blue/Yellow set of LIs. Boy am I sick of the Minas Tirith dailies...

(And if you think I'm exaggerating, I also play a Yellow Hunter, a Blue Champion, and a Yellow Guardian.)
    Immigrant from the City of Paragon. We are heroes. This is what we do.

Founding member of Mornost Gwend of Gladden. "We shout a lot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Digaloo View Post
    If you do not like RoF, then do not put it on your skill bar.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I played Red line exclusively until Mordor, then I did a little reconfiguration to add some Blue traits to it. I like it that I am still necessary; that my pet is not carrying me along. I would send my Lynx in (my absolute FAVE pet), and then help him out with my own dps skills. If his health started to dip, I would heal him up. My trait line now is very much of a reddish purple, and I'm still enjoying it very much.

And how do you get your sic em animals to attack ? Mine just stand around doing nothing. I cast for defense hoping some of the mobs will attack the animals instead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post
    And how do you get your sic em animals to attack ? Mine just stand around doing nothing. I cast for defense hoping some of the mobs will attack the animals instead of me.
    There is an “attack” skill. Not the one on the pet bar, but as a skill and has an icon identical to the sic ’em skill. But its casting seems to be very slow, at least on my computer.

Ring of fire is an absolute liability. If red line LM's want to use when they are on their own then that is their choice but they should really think about it when around other players i.e. not necessarily even in a fellowship.

Usually in instances when one is cast I am often playing my RK. When this happens I can't see a thing that is happening anymore so I just hit 'Tab' or 'Backspace' to target any old Mob and blast away. (Not exactly efficient!) The worst thing is when I am playing my burglar. My effectiveness is based on being able to get behind a mob in stealth to hit them hard or to see them to debuff them neither of which I have chance of doing. It is doubly worse as my Burg is a hobbit and has no chance of seeing what is going on at his height. I usually just stand there and end up not doing ANYTHING until the ROF has gone away.

The thing about ROF is most red line LM's use it to try and show the party that they are 'doing' something. LM's are far more useful using Crowd Control and the huge debuffs they get to aid a party. Unfortunately most red line LM's just want to DPS everything like all other classes and show the world how big their 'Staff' is - lol

Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post
    They will also attack any mob that hits you.
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

I switched from Red to Blue Line part of the way through Udun and have never looked back. I too use the Onyx Lynx. I tried using the Eagle a few times but was such a PITA as his control circle was always over my shoulder and he'd get selected as the target. I had to jigger the view to prevent that. For a mob of 115s I will start off with a Lightning Storm and then invoke Sic 'Em, throwing Sticky Gourds, etc. I am not afraid of mixing it up with Staff Strike and Staff Sweeps. Even Hidden Threats are easy enough to take out. I will also invoke my Herbalist Skirmish Soldier if necessary.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    They will also attack any mob that hits you.
    And there's a "Command Pet" skill that makes them all attack your target. Apparently you get this skill along with "Sic 'em," when you reach the bottom of the blue tree.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone