We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Exclamation Is it the end for LOTRO's Mac version?

Mac is on its way of allowing only 64-bits applications. For now, users get a warning saying that the app they are using is not optimized and it opens fine, but eventually, this will be not the case, as stated here:

"At some unspecified time in the future, the operating system will end its support for 32-bit technology… meaning those apps that haven’t been updated just won’t work.

That time, mind you, is not tomorrow, but the company’s hoping that this messaging will help light a fire under users and developers to upgrade before that day comes. Says the company on its help page, “To ensure that the apps you purchase are as advanced as the Mac you run them on, all future Mac software will eventually be required to be 64-bit."
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/11/ap...t-app-support/

Maybe it's time for that 64-bit version of LOTRO. We know Mac users aren't a big portion of the players but not having that portion might be bad for business.

I wonder how this is going to work out. There's got to be a ton of games that are not going 64 that play on Mac.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I wonder how this is going to work out. There's got to be a ton of games that are not going 64 that play on Mac.

Particularly legacy games that may still be popular. There are people around who, say, like to take a break from what they've usually been playing, and rerun something like Baldur's Gate, or early editions of Civilisation. Looks like another case of Apple being too hip for its own good.

If you care about gaming, particularly when Apple transitions away from x86 processors in the future, you should not be using a Mac.

Just don't upgrade to the next version of the OS if you don't have to. I'm still running on Sierra and everything is fine. OS upgrades don't give that much advantage to me so I'm good with that.
    Besides that, if you game a lot purchasing a windows machine might be very beneficial... sure a lot cheaper.

Leave it to apple. One reason why i will never get istuff.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval