We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    836

    The Unmanned Ship of Long Lake

    Curious and explory as I am, I tried getting aboard one of those (or maybe the only?) blue-sailed ships actually sailing on Long Lake near Lake-town. To my surprise, or maybe not really, they were unmanned! Not a single Captain of Lake-town by the rudder. No fishermen, no pirates, no nothing. Sad. Or have one of those oathbreaker ghosts taken over the ships....?

    Maybe there are issues with placing NPCs on moving objects on water, I don't know. But it would be great to actually see for example fishermen NPCs on the ship(s) going about their daily business, stopping the ship, casting their nets, and loading and unloading their catch and cargo at the Lake-town docks. Would it be too difficult to do in Lotro? At least put a person in the boat(s). Now it looks silly Also, it kinda looks like it's taking in water and about to sink. Could do with raising a notch above the water.
    Brethwyn Bearsbane of House Breddinga [100-Guardian]
    Hygweard of Rohan, High Protector of Bree-Land and Lord of Emyn Uial
    Children of the Sun - Gilrain

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,649
    Absolutely /signed. That's all.

  3. #3
    Isn't that an abandoned/adrift easterling boat?
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

  4. #4
    I don’t mind it being unmanned. I mind it not being solid. I tried to get on board for a ride and swam right through it lol

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    114
    Re. number of ships: Sometimes there's one, sometimes two; I haven't figured out the pattern.

    Also, /signed. And while you're at it, maybe do the same with the ships on the Bay of Belfalas!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    Curious and explory as I am, I tried getting aboard one of those (or maybe the only?) blue-sailed ships actually sailing on Long Lake near Lake-town. To my surprise, or maybe not really, they were unmanned! Not a single Captain of Lake-town by the rudder. No fishermen, no pirates, no nothing. Sad. Or have one of those oathbreaker ghosts taken over the ships....?

    Maybe there are issues with placing NPCs on moving objects on water, I don't know. But it would be great to actually see for example fishermen NPCs on the ship(s) going about their daily business, stopping the ship, casting their nets, and loading and unloading their catch and cargo at the Lake-town docks. Would it be too difficult to do in Lotro? At least put a person in the boat(s). Now it looks silly Also, it kinda looks like it's taking in water and about to sink. Could do with raising a notch above the water.
    The Lake-town Triangle

    or

    The Flying Dutchman
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    14,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    The Lake-town Triangle

    or

    The Flying Dutchman
    Hmmmmm.

    We know that Middle-earth is the Old World, that the Shire is Britain, and that Gondor is Italy. Examining the map, I suggest that the Netherlands are probably ...

    ... somewhere in Enedwaith.

    Of course, the Great Sea is going to have to take out a large chunk of Eregion first, but it would have to do that anyway to make the Shire an island.

    And after turning Mordor into the Mediterranean Sea, that would probably be an anticlimax.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Hmmmmm.

    We know that Middle-earth is the Old World, that the Shire is Britain, and that Gondor is Italy. Examining the map, I suggest that the Netherlands are probably ...

    ... somewhere in Enedwaith.

    Of course, the Great Sea is going to have to take out a large chunk of Eregion first, but it would have to do that anyway to make the Shire an island.

    And after turning Mordor into the Mediterranean Sea, that would probably be an anticlimax.
    But at least Mordor would finally be cleansed

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by TiberiasKirk View Post
    But at least Mordor would finally be cleansed

    But, did it wash behind the ears?
    Ujest - 115 Lore-master, Opun Tia - 95 Warden, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 61 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    14,401
    Quote Originally Posted by TiberiasKirk View Post
    But at least Mordor would finally be cleansed
    Well, it's going to happen, since the Med is there now.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, it's going to happen, since the Med is there now.
    OMG please don't encourage him DJ

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    The Lake-town Triangle

    or

    The Flying Dutchman


    Perhaps Middle-earth's own version of the Mary Celeste?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    7,728
    Quote Originally Posted by TiberiasKirk View Post
    But at least Mordor would finally be cleansed
    *cough* "the desolation that lay before Mordor" *cough*

    Oh, by the way, the other day I went through Tolkien's letters and lo and behold, what did I find? I'll just leave this here...

    "They are represented as having become early divided in to two, or three, varieties. 1. The Eldar
    who heard the summons of the Valar or Powers to pass from Middle-earth over the Sea to the West;
    and 2. the Lesser Elves who did not answer it. Most of the Eldar after a great march reached the
    Western Shores and passed over Sea; these were the High Elves, who became immensely enhanced
    in powers and knowledge. But part of them in the event remained in the coast-lands of the North-
    west: these were the Sindar or Grey-elves. The lesser Elves hardly appear, except as part of the
    people of The Elf-realm; of Northern Mirkwood, and of Lorien, ruled by Eldar; their languages do
    not appear.

    The High Elves met in this book are Exiles, returned back over Sea to Middle-earth, after events
    which are the main matter of the Silmarillion, part of one of the main kindreds of the Eldar, the Noldor
    (Masters of Lore). Or rather a last remnant of these."

    - Tolkien, letter #144

    "So ends the Middle Age and the Dominion of Men begins, and Aragorn far away on the throne of
    Gondor labours to bring some order and to preserve some memory of old among the welter of men
    that Sauron has poured into the West. But Elrond has gone, and all the High Elves."

    - Tolkien, letter #91, describing the intended ending for LOTR to his son

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    Maybe there are issues with placing NPCs on moving objects on water, I don't know.
    If it were that difficult, the traveling rafts of Loeglong would lack personnel as well. But they are manned, or should I rather say, elved? From my POV I would say, it can be done - and yes, I missed them too, while crossing the lake in order to reach a quest area.


    Greetings, Polymachos
    Treufried, human Level 115 Lore Master, formerly from Maiar (DE), now on Belegaer
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Alexophor, human Level 115 Hunter, formerly a Nimrod, now on Landroval
    Awkward Animal Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    *cough* "the desolation that lay before Mordor" *cough*

    Oh, by the way, the other day I went through Tolkien's letters and lo and behold, what did I find? I'll just leave this here...

    "They are represented as having become early divided in to two, or three, varieties. 1. The Eldar
    who heard the summons of the Valar or Powers to pass from Middle-earth over the Sea to the West;
    and 2. the Lesser Elves who did not answer it. Most of the Eldar after a great march reached the
    Western Shores and passed over Sea; these were the High Elves, who became immensely enhanced
    in powers and knowledge. But part of them in the event remained in the coast-lands of the North-
    west: these were the Sindar or Grey-elves. The lesser Elves hardly appear, except as part of the
    people of The Elf-realm; of Northern Mirkwood, and of Lorien, ruled by Eldar; their languages do
    not appear.

    The High Elves met in this book are Exiles, returned back over Sea to Middle-earth, after eventsr
    which are the main matter of the Silmarillion, part of one of the main kindreds of the Eldar, the Noldor
    (Masters of Lore). Or rather a last remnant of these."

    - Tolkien, letter #144

    "So ends the Middle Age and the Dominion of Men begins, and Aragorn far away on the throne of
    Gondor labours to bring some order and to preserve some memory of old among the welter of men
    that Sauron has poured into the West. But Elrond has gone, and all the High Elves."

    - Tolkien, letter #91, describing the intended ending for LOTR to his son

    LOL It really bugs you that someone agrees with me that Mordor will one day be under water (staying on this thread topic) So much so you try to change the subject.

    My original posts didn't specify when it would be underwater, just that it would be.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    I often swim across the lake from Urushoba to Lake Town, and have occasionally passed under the ship. I did think it would be possible to jump up and land on deck, but sadly not the case.

    I have previously suggested introducing sailing as a hobby, and also some form of naval combat, such as fighting the corsairs at sea, but perhaps this is unachievable. It would certainly relieve the monotony of the Belfalas homesteads if it had a yacht club, and we could actually sail.
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    7,728
    Quote Originally Posted by TiberiasKirk View Post
    LOL It really bugs you that someone agrees with me that Mordor will one day be under water (staying on this thread topic) So much so you try to change the subject.

    My original posts didn't specify when it would be underwater, just that it would be.
    Any talk like that post earlier based on real-world geography is bogus because Mordor (and other places) weren't really supposed to 'be' anywhere in particular. Wanting to find a correspondence between real maps and Middle-earth has long been a preoccupation for a certain sort of fan. And in any case let's not forget that you didn't say "one day" to begin with, when you first aired that you said it should already have happened so you've sure changed your tune. Besides which, as ever a conditional clause written to emphasise the utter grimness of a place isn't a statement that what it says would happen, nor was it even about Mordor itself to begin with but rather the poisoned wasteland outside Mordor's gates, where all the spoil and ash from its industry were dumped.

    "They had come to the desolation that lay before Mordor: the lasting
    monument to the dark labour of its slaves that should endure when all their
    purposes were made void; a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing – unless
    the Great Sea should enter in and wash it with oblivion."

    As for the rest, not so much a change of subject as a coda to our little discussion the other day just in case you ever try bringing up *that* topic again. You were wrong.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,736
    Don't drag the discussion off-topic by bringing up an old disagreement.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Google+ - Pinterest - Twitch - YouTube
    Find Cordovan on: Twitter Instagram
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Constantly in Motion
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethwyn_EU View Post
    Curious and explory as I am, I tried getting aboard one of those (or maybe the only?) blue-sailed ships actually sailing on Long Lake near Lake-town. To my surprise, or maybe not really, they were unmanned! Not a single Captain of Lake-town by the rudder. No fishermen, no pirates, no nothing. Sad. Or have one of those oathbreaker ghosts taken over the ships....?

    Maybe there are issues with placing NPCs on moving objects on water, I don't know. But it would be great to actually see for example fishermen NPCs on the ship(s) going about their daily business, stopping the ship, casting their nets, and loading and unloading their catch and cargo at the Lake-town docks. Would it be too difficult to do in Lotro? At least put a person in the boat(s). Now it looks silly Also, it kinda looks like it's taking in water and about to sink. Could do with raising a notch above the water.
    I would love to see boats we could actually ride on, just take a short cruise and jump off when or wherever. The boat in Long Lake, the Elven boats/barges in Loegland, heck I'd even like to take a slow boat ride across the lake in Evendim :-)

    Maybe someday!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,843
    Quote Originally Posted by clrsf06 View Post
    I would love to see boats we could actually ride on...

    Boat-pants!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Don't drag the discussion off-topic by bringing up an old disagreement.
    Well said. Thank You, Cordovan.
    Yes, I know it's a Rabbit: they don't have a Hedgehog.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload