We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Epic Battles suck donkey balls

    Yes, this is a rant, but I have reasons for it.

    I have played with my Guardian the whole way to Helm`s Deep and endured all the ###### grind. Yes, I finished approximately 95% of all Slayer Deeds.

    But the only Epic thing in the Epic Battles is, how they put the word grind to a whole new level, while leaving not a single grain of fun in the game. Because it is NOT fun to run around and click things for half an hour, while the action is done by all the NPC dudes around you and you lose the battle for...reasons...and have to start all over again.

    The Devs are obviously not aware of the fact, that people already do have full-time jobs and games are meant to be entertaining and relaxing. So why, oh why, can`t we just skip them? Or, to put it in words even the Devs understand "No more fun for me = no more money for you".

    /rant

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    316
    Just do them with someone else and check the stickied guide to Big Battles in the forums, it will take you less than 15 minutes to read the guide and you will learn all the important stuff you need to know. If you spent time doing all those slayer deeds (which aren't even remotely needed for progression) then succeeding in Big Battles will take you 1/10 of the time you spent for deeds.
    Vundrak - Rank 12 Reaver / Corruptpresent - Rank 11 Warleader / Corruptmedicus - Rank 8 Defiler / Kolostomy - Rank 9 Blackarrow : Landroval
    Rognomli - Rank 8 Guardian / Synexia - LvL 115 Hunter / Raiker - LvL 100 Minstrel / Lacet - LvL 100 Warden : Arkenstone

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucki View Post
    Yes, this is a rant, but I have reasons for it.

    I have played with my Guardian the whole way to Helm`s Deep and endured all the ###### grind. Yes, I finished approximately 95% of all Slayer Deeds.

    But the only Epic thing in the Epic Battles is, how they put the word grind to a whole new level, while leaving not a single grain of fun in the game. Because it is NOT fun to run around and click things for half an hour, while the action is done by all the NPC dudes around you and you lose the battle for...reasons...and have to start all over again.

    The Devs are obviously not aware of the fact, that people already do have full-time jobs and games are meant to be entertaining and relaxing. So why, oh why, can`t we just skip them? Or, to put it in words even the Devs understand "No more fun for me = no more money for you".

    /rant
    Honestly, if they listened to everyone who posted on the forums and removed the "part of the game I hate", there would be no game, lol. Most of the game is running around and clicking things, so not sure about that complaint. I agree with Rog--read a guide and you can't lose the battle. Also helps to run a few to get points and build up skills.

    I for one, do find the Epic Battles entertaining and relaxing. They give good rewards, especially for alts, and also serve to fill in levelling gaps. I'd be sorely disappointed if they removed them. The Helm's Deep battle scenes are an integral part of the story.

  4. #4
    If you go for platinum in solo/duo EBs or do the group ones, you can't just leave things up to NPCs. The entertainment value of EBs is mostly in their relative challenge imo, they have to be hard because they're pretty much the same thing every time and it only gets easier to do them with experience and promotions. They actually are very relaxing if you do group ones with high promos, nice rewards too.
    Last edited by Deshness; Apr 10 2018 at 10:29 AM.
    Glosslang - Level 115 r7 Elf Champion, Arhathel (Soon to be 115 High Elf Captain), Brodesh - Level 80 r6 Dwarf Minstrel, Twoknives - R9 Reaver - Landroval.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by Deshness View Post
    If you go for platinum in solo/duo EBs or do the group ones, you can't just leave things up to NPCs. The entertainment value of EBs is mostly in their relative challenge imo, they have to be hard because they're pretty much the same thing every time and it only gets easier to do them with experience and promotions. They actually are very relaxing if you do group ones with high promos, nice rewards too.
    What he is talking about is its better to spend your time building things and commanding the officers rather than fight the things yourself. I think he understands epic battles but just doesn't like the role a player has to have to solo it and succeed.
    He is totally correct. It involves clicking lots of things and doing little fighting yourself.

  6. #6

    epic battles

    really guys, i have 279 points in BB, and with another alt i have 288 points so far

    ican't soloing pela anymore and even others are way to hard to finishing and get full plat.

    Mobs are running trough traps,baricades like nothing

    ill like doinig them solo, fellowship, raid ones i could never do because no interest.

    same like other instances its really hard to find groups.

    i am playing on Gladden, maby it is time to merge with another server.

    now i feel that every one playing alone, games like tis should be intend to play with groups and have fun.

  7. #7
    sadly epic battles have been reduced to nothing more than a deed you have to grind thru.

    Mounted Combat, Epic battles and PvMP are 3 areas that Turbine really dropped the ball on.

    sometimes groups come up in WC its your only hope as soloing them to 200 pts takes awile.
    .

    Mortem Tyrannis

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gallifrey. I need a Jelly Baby.
    Posts
    20,098
    Quote Originally Posted by subadar View Post
    sadly epic battles have been reduced to nothing more than a deed you have to grind thru.

    Mounted Combat, Epic battles and PvMP are 3 areas that Turbine really dropped the ball on.

    sometimes groups come up in WC its your only hope as soloing them to 200 pts takes awile.
    This I pretty much have to agree with. Sometimes I wish they would stick with what they excel in, which is outstanding world building and story lines, instead of new gimmicks, and trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahaelon61 View Post
    really guys, i have 279 points in BB, and with another alt i have 288 points so far

    ican't soloing pela anymore and even others are way to hard to finishing and get full plat.

    Mobs are running trough traps,baricades like nothing

    ill like doinig them solo, fellowship, raid ones i could never do because no interest.

    same like other instances its really hard to find groups.

    i am playing on Gladden, maby it is time to merge with another server.

    now i feel that every one playing alone, games like tis should be intend to play with groups and have fun.
    After a level increase, and before you gear your character again, the Epic Battles are going to be harder. Maybe that's what you're experiencing. Or perhaps it's the class you're using. I'm not sure what you mean when you say mobs are running through traps and barricades though. I'm guessing that on solo/duo for Pela the problem isn't killing the bosses in time to get plat, so if you can tell me what is causing you to not get plat then maybe I can suggest something to help.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    409
    I guess I'll just go ahead and lay some advice on out how to plat Pela in solo.

    Defending the winch: The goal is to not let the winch get damaged. Place trip wires on both sides of the winch to prevent mobs from getting to it. Place the first trip wire on the side you're coming from. Keep replacing the trip wires. If the winch gets damaged at all, then repair it right away. Use the Gondorian Captain to heal and buff up the soldiers if you can, while remaining in engineer line (it's not that important).

    Routing the pillagers:


    Despite what you've seen, you don't need 3 barricades in the choke point. Instead set up 3 of the barricades in a line between the left side of the choke point and the supplies that are near the choke point (the goal is to keep the supplies from getting destroyed). Also stack tripwires by the supplies in a spot such that they'll stop mobs coming from both directions. Switch the soldiers to 2h. If you have time, then build the 4th barricade on the side of the supplies, then start upgrading the barricades. The "clock" for the sidequest to begin is a certain number of kills. So if you mostly let the NPCs do the killing, then you'll have more time to build. The point is to build as much as you can so you'll be okay during the sidequest.
    With a tripwire (lasts 3 min) by the supplies, barricades surrounding it, and NPCs switched to 2h, you should be able to leave the choke point and complete a backs to the wall without the supplies getting destroyed (possibly without them getting touched).


    If you get Backs to the Wall, the place a tripwire in front of the door they come out of, and kill them there.


    If you get Parade of Thieves, then you can kill them as the pass the front of the choke point, while helping to clean out other mobs, but make sure you don't miss any.


    When the sidequest is done, you can "heal" the supplies by talking to the NPCs nearest to the supplies. Obviously kill the bosses ASAP. Only build the ballista after the second boss is dead.



    The pier: Bring 1 barricade from the choke point. Place it so that it will help protect the suicide soldier. Place traps so they'll help protect the suicide soldier. Switch the soldiers to 2h. Build the catapults to 90%, but don't finish them until after the last boss is dead. So all you'll have to do is keep the suicide soldier alive, kill the bosses ASAP, and finish building the catapults after the last boss is dead.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Int View Post
    Place it so that it will help protect the suicide soldier.
    Int, I have done that Pelargir quest many times but never noticed it was one specific soldier that died. Can you help/guide me to know which one is the willing victim? Thanks!
    Inter faex et urina nascitur sumus

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by algonacy View Post
    Int, I have done that Pelargir quest many times but never noticed it was one specific soldier that died. Can you help/guide me to know which one is the willing victim? Thanks!
    Facing the enemy, he's the front soldier on the right.

    He's called the suicide soldier because for some reason he always winds up taking all the hits from every attacking mob. If there's no healer in the group, then swapping to Officer and hitting all the buffs (including both heal and corruption removal which also heals a bit) whenever they're off cooldown usually does the job.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucki View Post
    But the only Epic thing in the Epic Battles is, how they put the word grind to a whole new level, while leaving not a single grain of fun in the game. Because it is NOT fun to run around and click things for half an hour, while the action is done by all the NPC dudes around you and you lose the battle for...reasons...and have to start all over again.
    At R0-2, BB are going to be painful. At R3 you start to become useful, and at R5-6 several of them become incredibly easy daily farms for symbols and starlits. Getting those first 60 PP are always going to be painful unless you duo them. After that the trick lies in knowing what's expected of you. BB are actually two games in one; the minigame which involves building things and commanding troops, and pure dps. To succeed you have to pick the one that favors you.

    Helm's Deep gave us the original BB, and in addition to the hard/easy difficulty curve with pretty much nothing in between, the other major player complaint was not being able to play their class. HD BB are mostly about building and commanding. In response to this, the Minas Tirith BB are pure dps with none of the BB minigame. Pelargir is a bit of a compromise, but still requires dps for most of the side quests.

    As a Guardian you won't be doing well at dps sides. Maybe after the class revamp things will be different. The trick then is to pick BB that emphasize the minigame or use it exclusively. Since you're already R6 you'll be able to breeze through them, as long as you pick the right ones.

    Dike is one, though it's long and requires an annoying amount of time to set everything up in advance. I prefer to run two other ones in the same amount of time.
    Coomb requires a bit of dps on the side quests, though not much so it's still doable for non-dps classes. Because they only enter at two points all the non-side waves can be massacred before they even reach the defending soldiers, though it requires a lot of clicking on ballistas.
    Caves is my favorite. Not only is it the fastest BB but it requires very little work from the player and can be farmed while semi-afk. No dps required for any sides. This one has all the side quest enemies attacking from narrow fixed points, making it completely unfair for the enemy.
    Pelargir is doable solo on a non-dps though you may want to duo that one. The bosses get vastly reduced morale pools, much less than 1/3 the group version.

    Avoid Hornburg and Wall, both of which have many timed dps side quests and are a constant struggle to keep soldiers and banners alive. Avoid all the MT ones as well, unless in a group.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucki View Post
    Yes, this is a rant, but I have reasons for it.

    I have played with my Guardian the whole way to Helm`s Deep and endured all the ###### grind. Yes, I finished approximately 95% of all Slayer Deeds.

    But the only Epic thing in the Epic Battles is, how they put the word grind to a whole new level, while leaving not a single grain of fun in the game. Because it is NOT fun to run around and click things for half an hour, while the action is done by all the NPC dudes around you and you lose the battle for...reasons...and have to start all over again.

    The Devs are obviously not aware of the fact, that people already do have full-time jobs and games are meant to be entertaining and relaxing. So why, oh why, can`t we just skip them? Or, to put it in words even the Devs understand "No more fun for me = no more money for you".

    /rant
    Ya, it is not the best part of the game

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomhandsome View Post
    Ya, it is not the best part of the game
    I cant figure out why to do them. The Stars of merit take WAY to long to aquire to actually get something, the skills we build in them are a waste of time for anything but the instances themselves. Why create a system or require players to go through the system when its only there to do once for the books/advance the story?
    Holding on by the last hair on the dwarfs beard.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    83
    The rewards are level scaled. I got some great jewelry from rewards boxes. That said, this jewelry has no LoE on it so its Mordor usefulness is limited. That said. my both ears, one ring and one wrist are BB rewards well into Lhingris.
    I found Stars of Merit gain fairly good. A single well done BB can give enough for one Anfalas SoE. Granted in same time one can run the daily MT quest batch...
    I mean, what else are those stars good for?

    Some people actually like them, and I can see why. Once you git a few ranks under your belt and learned the layout and flow of battle, it starts to feel good. You actually feel useful on the map. My first attempts were a complete disaster. Now I got over 100 points, and BBs are quite fun. The biggest catch, of course, are those first points. It is a catch 22, getting them off the ground.

    Imho, this should be more like warsteed trait points. You do quests in Rohan and you get steed xp whether you do it mounted or not. Then, once you assign a few mount trait points, mounted combat actually gets interesting.

    If there was a series of quests letting you earn, say, 80 first BB points, it would be a LOT better.

  17. #17
    Yeah, the journey to getting enough points to attain rank 3 is a bit painful. You are borderline useless in your first few BBs. Although in a way, it has a certain charm to it. There isn't anywhere else in the game where the progression is so steep and significant. I kind of enjoy watching alts progress from uselessness to competence.

    And this is only if you solo them. If you bring a friend, there is almost no challenge at all.

  18. #18
    I can't even get myself to do them again for the Epic Story. I love to see the continuation in Isengard but just gave up on even trying. It's just to long and boring on characters that have no points at all. I failed Dike because I didn't pay attention and know Wall requires ballista use, I fail on that. They are great for those who like them but a disaster for those who just want to play them once for the epic and be done with them. There is no other content where I can't play my character besides the session plays. And even there it's normal game play.

    At least MC is not required for the epic.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Stucki View Post
    Yes, this is a rant, but I have reasons for it.

    I have played with my Guardian the whole way to Helm`s Deep and endured all the ###### grind. Yes, I finished approximately 95% of all Slayer Deeds.

    But the only Epic thing in the Epic Battles is, how they put the word grind to a whole new level, while leaving not a single grain of fun in the game. Because it is NOT fun to run around and click things for half an hour, while the action is done by all the NPC dudes around you and you lose the battle for...reasons...and have to start all over again.

    The Devs are obviously not aware of the fact, that people already do have full-time jobs and games are meant to be entertaining and relaxing. So why, oh why, can`t we just skip them? Or, to put it in words even the Devs understand "No more fun for me = no more money for you".

    /rant
    Yea... they actually do suck donkey balls. They are uninteresting, not fun and a fking waste of time.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload