We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

All the four fiddles for our ABC programs

Hi all,

first of all here is the new Version for BruTE (25) with support of all the fiddles:
    BruTE alpha25: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1La...5Ao5NEQKi9SGAD

Although due to the game not having the travellers trusty fiddle yet we do not know if the volume is correct, but at least you can get an idea.

There is also an option now to separate fast from slow tones in a track to map the fast ones to the sprightly and the slow ones to the lonely mountain fiddle without going crazy in a midi editor.
    The lonely mountain fiddle is just not fast enough for fast sequences and the sprightly doesn't hold a tone, but together they make a quite flexible instrument actually ...

@zed: durationsplit <duration> [0/1] - i think i forgot to write that into my howto .)

For those of you who are still stuck with Maestro ... well ... tough luck!
    But here is also a link for you (basic Maestro 2.3.1 with all the 4 fiddles):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12W...woJ_oAdAOSqw9q

@Splik:
    Would you please take the samples from the sf2 file and put them in to your Maestro Fork?

The preset channels are:
    Lonely Mountain Fiddle - 41
    Sprightly Fiddle - 49
    Travellers Trusty - 45 (the pizzicato strings were already taken by the harp, so I had to take something else to not break backwards compatibility - also it would be nice if you stick with those preset numbers, then BruTE and Maestro can use the same Instruments file)

Good luck keeping the lotro musicians happy, I prefer to stick with my own converter. I may update the 1.4 old timings branch to have all the instruments at some point as that is the last correctly working ABC player, which would work correctly for those old Fireferns/Eddenwulf/BruTE ABC files... sadly all the 2.x versions of Maestro/ABCplayer have some timing issues. Maybe you can fix those, you'd do a great service to the music community and also my rythmic empathy
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

Thank you SchorschiSchrumpf, you are doing a great service to us all with these extractions. Very much appreciated.

Alright, I will keep the channels you choose, no problem.

As for the timings issues, it will take me awhile to get to know the code better, so don't keep your fingers crossed to see a fix for that within a couple of weeks, from me at least.

But a release with your fiddle sounds will come shortly, will also include fix for the fiddle auto-part numbering.

Great job, both of you. Thanks!

I've done 2 pieces for the fiddle, both classical. But I can't see me using the fiddle much as it stands. And why isn't it called a violin lol
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute

Quote Originally Posted by Keli View Post
    Great job, both of you. Thanks!

I've done 2 pieces for the fiddle, both classical. But I can't see me using the fiddle much as it stands. And why isn't it called a violin lol
    Ye, the fiddles are a bit cumbersome to use. There is the slow attack of the lonely fiddle, which can be compensated a little by shifting the lonely fiddle a bit earlier in time. It reminds me a bit of the situation we had with the bagpipes back then. I may even make some kind of correction table to handle that automatically in my converter - the timeshift code I used for the bagpipes is still there, I could reactivate that for the lonely mountain fiddle.

Also the volumes of the lonely and the sprightly are quite different, the sprightly could use a turn down of 3-4 dB while the lonely should be pushed up a little, maybe 1-2 dB, to make fit better to the other instruments. Also the sound quality differs from the rest of the instruments - they got filtered quite badly on the update 16.1 and lost a lot of their higher frequencies, which makes them harder to tell apart in a band mix.

Overall I think the fiddles are a nice addition to the music system. Despite the issues we have new options to explore now and that is always nice.
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

I agree Bruzo.

Funnily enough, the more I experiment the more I appreciate the Student Fiddle (apart from the bottom 7 notes). Now if the could just listen to you and do something about the volumes....
    Jobbing musician that resides in Bree. Frequenter of Taverns and places of ill repute