We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

student fiddle sounds

Hi ho, good news everyone!

I generated an updated version of the soundfontfile that is used by Maestro and BruTE and includes the new student fiddle sounds - there maybe still some tweaking required to get the fiddle volume correct with respect to the relative volume ingame, but roughly speaking it's there and can be used.

So for the BruTE users this means you can start making ABC files featuring the new fiddle right away and actually have an audio preview if you download the BruTE alpha 24 version ( under https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qb...p64XOdVXLJeBCN ). Of course you will only hear the fiddle if you use the internal wav rendering preview, otherwise it'll shove the abc to the abcplayer who can't play the fiddle yet ...

Which brings me to the bad news:
    To use this in Maestro and the ABCplayer there needs to be a new release of Maestro.
    I put the new fiddle to midi instrument number 60 - there was space to add the other 3 fiddles that were already put in the game as samples. So the plan is to have the real fiddle on 61, the staccato one at 62 and the pizzicato one at 63.

The good news is that all we need to do - as we all have access to the Maestro source code on github - is extend one enumerator in one java file that defines the instruments ( with 60 for the midi number) and then use the sf2 file included in the current BruTE version ( rename from sfnew.sf2 to lotroinstruments.sf2 of course ).

As for naming I guess the instrument line should look like: student fiddle, or just student

The other option is to change the midi instrument number in the sf2 file to one of the other instruments, effectively rerouting Maestro to play the student fiddle instead of the other instrument, that can be done using a sf2 editor like viena - i think i posted a link to that program in the fiddle-bullroarer thread.

Happy fiddling for now,

Bruzo
    Bruzo, Dwarrowdelf Minstrel ~ "A Rock & a Hard Place"

So, I installed Eclipse, downloaded the Maestro source and made the modification to add the student fiddle.
    Due to my limited knowledge of Eclipse I crudely made two jar files of the abcplayer and maestro, without icons or anything. This is more or less a workaround to add the student fiddle to Maestro and the AbcPlayer:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ox...GADjaVOCYVhmeF

(Download the zip, extract and start by double clicking the jar files, some folks said sometimes there is issues with finding the LotroInstruments.sf2 file even though it's there.)

However, it would be nice if someone could help setting up a fork of Maestro and generate proper releases. Also there is only the new student fiddle for now, the other fiddle samples will be added to the sf2 file in time.

Enjoy,

Bruzo

Not that will use it (i find the Student fiddle quite bad and only useable as a toy), but very good job, Bruzo. I can confirm it works.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 20.00-22.00 CET (14.00-16.00 server time) at West Bree stables on Gwaihir.
    Alles musik oder was!
    Instant Play YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quasquid/featured

I pulled apart the client sound.dat file and there are thousands of ogg files in there. How the heck did you identify the right sound samples?

Quote Originally Posted by SchorschiSchrumpf View Post
    So, I installed Eclipse, downloaded the Maestro source and made the modification to add the student fiddle.
    Due to my limited knowledge of Eclipse I crudely made two jar files of the abcplayer and maestro, without icons or anything. This is more or less a workaround to add the student fiddle to Maestro and the AbcPlayer:

(Download the zip, extract and start by double clicking the jar files, some folks said sometimes there is issues with finding the LotroInstruments.sf2 file even though it's there.)

However, it would be nice if someone could help setting up a fork of Maestro and generate proper releases. Also there is only the new student fiddle for now, the other fiddle samples will be added to the sf2 file in time.

Enjoy,

Bruzo
    I always appreciate the hard work you put into these things but at this moment, considering the fiddle will probably be changed, due to the outcry for a full three octaves, this seems like a lot of work for nothing. Truth be told, I would love to see you put this hard work into a nice interface similar to Maestro for you abc transcriber
    Fincin of Landroval
    Level 105 Minstrel
    *Les Beaux Chapeaux Bandleader * Transciber, Kin Leader
    Founder of the Hobbit Coalition for Giving us Bunny Cosmetic Pets
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    Hugger of Bunnys

Quote Originally Posted by Muileos View Post
    I pulled apart the client sound.dat file and there are thousands of ogg files in there. How the heck did you identify the right sound samples?
    I backed up a version of the sound.dat before the patch and used fdupe to get rid of all the sounds that weren't changed in the new sound.dat. It was only 1000 new/changed sounds. It took me longer to assign the correct pitches, which is why I didn't add the other 3 fiddles yet.
    And that effort won't be lost - redoing this will be much faster even when the sounds are changed.

I do not think that the missing half of the lower octave will make things much better .. it's rather that the volume of the fiddle needs to be raised by something like 4-6 dB - in the current instrumentsfile the fiddle is a bit lower than it is in the game, I will adjust that at some point, but I still hope for a fix of the fiddle volume.
    The student fiddle anyway is not the interesting one .. I think the staccato one and the real fiddle (basically a properly played student fiddle) will be the interesting ones.

I created a fork here: https://github.com/adarbyem/maestro

I also modified the java file to include the Student Fiddle, additionally, I uploaded all of the .wav files from OP's provided sf2 file. The only thing I noticed, is, that exported ABC files when opened up again in Maestro say they are "French Horn", it sounds like the fiddle. I just ran out of time tonight.

The French Horn on that instrument is a bug, it should say: Muted Trumpet (as that is number 60 in the General Midi set) - French Horn is 61.
    There must be something to add for the import of ABC files to tell it to write student fiddle there.

Edit:
    Choosing the GM preset number for lotro instruments will be difficult with 4 new fiddles anyway. The General Midi list has a violin (41), pizzicato strings (46) and a fiddle (111). If we use those three for the next three fiddles (pizzicato is easy, but should the proper fiddle be a violin or a fiddle ?). The student fiddle is the worst of the four anyway and would be mapped onto something that is not a violin/fiddle ...

I guess we'll never see a muted trumpet in lotro so we should be on the safe side
    Last edited by SchorschiSchrumpf; Mar 11 2018 at 06:41 AM.

Enjoy,

Bruzo
    Hi

To make it run properly,

You can copy news abcplayer.jar, maestro.jar and lotroinstruments.sf2 in installed Maestro folder (under program files/Maestro) then you should run Maestro.exe and/or abcplayer.exe to make it run.

(by now, of course, make a copy/backup of installed maestro.jar, abcplayer.jar and lotroinstruments.sf2 in case of future trouble or to restore original Maestro)

Thanks for that

./toasts

Zed'

The French Horn on that instrument is a bug, it should say: Muted Trumpet (as that is number 60 in the General Midi set) - French Horn is 61.
    There must be something to add for the import of ABC files to tell it to write student fiddle there.

Edit:
    Choosing the GM preset number for lotro instruments will be difficult with 4 new fiddles anyway. The General Midi list has a violin (41), pizzicato strings (46) and a fiddle (111). If we use those three for the next three fiddles (pizzicato is easy, but should the proper fiddle be a violin or a fiddle ?). The student fiddle is the worst of the four anyway and would be mapped onto something that is not a violin/fiddle ...

I guess we'll never see a muted trumpet in lotro so we should be on the safe side
    And you can also use String Ensembles 1 and 2 I think.

MIDI - Name
    41. - Violin
    42. - Viola
    43. - Cello

45. - Tremolo Strings
    46. - Pizzicato Strings

49. - String Ensemble 1
    50. - String Ensemble 2
    51. - SynthStrings 1
    52. - SynthStrings 2

Zed'

Sorry I couldn't wait. I forked adarbyem repo, did some additional changes and made full release, so its easy to download and test.

I made it transpose the fiddles lowest 7 notes with noises up 1 octave, so you don't have to worry about getting noises in your songs. If you do want them, for now either edit the ABC files by hand or select another instr. in maestro for fiddle.

Its here, probably did some mistakes, so please do test:

https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/maest...ses/tag/v2.3.2

If someone has extracted the fiddle sounds for the other fiddles and posts them, I can include those as well.

- Aifel of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    Sorry I couldn't wait. I forked adarbyem repo, did some additional changes and made full release, so its easy to download and test.

I made it transpose the fiddles lowest 7 notes with noises up 1 octave, so you don't have to worry about getting noises in your songs. If you do want them, for now either edit the ABC files by hand or select another instr. in maestro for fiddle.

Its here, probably did some mistakes, so please do test:

https://github.com/NikolaiVChr/maest...ses/tag/v2.3.2

If someone has extracted the fiddle sounds for the other fiddles and posts them, I can include those as well.

- Aifel of Laurelin
    Thanks a lot for da work on it.
    I made a short first try and seems it works well

Proposal :
    Because, since the Springs Festival, we can have the Lonely Mountain Fiddle which will so far replace the common fiddle.
    So, I think we should have the knocks sounds allowed on the Student's Fiddle.
    I understand why you put up +1 octave to avoid the noises and give a cumfortable use about Student's Fiddle.
    But, even if many people don't like them or think that they are ~ bugs ~, there ARE NOT.
    These sounds are intentional.
    And a few people, as me, got many ideas to exploit them.

to follow ./toasts

Zed'

Thanks for testing.

I know they are not bugs.

However just having them just converted from midi together with the musical notes is also probably not so helpful.

Maybe ideal solution would be to have the lowest 7 notes act like percussion, so you get those drop-down menus and can assign the note like for drums and cowbells. However an instrument that has both percussion and regular notes, would mean a serious rewrite of many classes I think.

Alternatively we could add a second student fiddle (Student Fiddle Noises), which acts as percussion and where you can assign those 7 notes.
    Last edited by Splik; Mar 16 2018 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splik View Post
    Thanks for testing.

I know they are not bugs.

However just having them just converted from midi together with the musical notes is also probably not so helpful.

Maybe ideal solution would be to have the lowest 7 notes act like percussion, so you get those drop-down menus and can assign the note like for drums and cowbells. However an instrument that has both percussion and regular notes, would mean a serious rewrite of many classes I think.

Alternatively we could add a second student fiddle (Student Fiddle Noises), which acts as percussion and where you can assign those 7 notes.
    On Behalf of Sigmo Plantapinos, Aylinor Harfang and the whole band, receive the Iluvatar blesssings, thanks a million, you are awesome! A band of Laurelin.
    Last edited by Fredelon; Mar 16 2018 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredelon View Post
    On Behalf of Sigmo Plantapinos, Aylinor Harfang and the whole band, receive the Iluvatar blesssings, thanks a million, you are awesome! A band of Laurelin.
    Yes... Many thanks to all that are working on this. I've tested the work you all have done and it does indeed work. I can't wait to hear it with the sounds from the other fiddles. For my own purposes I probably won't use the student fiddle much, if at all, but for those who may want the noises for some purpose I think maybe they should remain...or be in two forms as in with noises and without. I have experimented with the other two available fiddles and am quite impressed with those and can hardly wait for them to be added to the mix. I'm glad we have such wonderful talent available to re-engineer these programs to make it easier for everyone to be a lotro musician...
    Sir Weet
    Lord High Master of DisEnchanted kinship and band
    Purveyor of Sarcastic Drivel and General Nonsense