We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Red face Allow us to leave instances by the actual exit

The introduction of the instance finder/panel was a lot of use in many ways. It means that the group doesn't have to be together to start an instance (cutting down on a lot of prep time), and people only need to have found the entrance to be able to join.

But it has one very big problem - you can't now exit an instance through its actual door to the correct location. I'll try to explain, using the Rift as an example.

Previously, people would all have to gather, usually at Iorlen's camp, and run down to the entrance. Now, they can be all over the world, and just click 'travel now' when the window comes up, which is awesome.
    Successful raid run, all bosses and Balrog dead (woohoo!), now to exit. Used to be that you had to run back out and go the way you came in (or get your hunter to port you). Long run, but everything's dead so it's okay.
    Now, you right click your portrait and 'leave instance'. And it plops you back where you were before you went in. Which is great, if you want to go questing or crafting in a different area. Not so good if you actually want to hand in your tokens/items/quests.

Would it not be possible to have two results for leaving instances? If you use the 'right-click, leave instance' method, you end up where you came from. If, however, you use the actual 'magic door' built-in entrance/exit to an instance, you end up actually outside it. This would be useful for people who have quests they've picked up at some point and now want to hand in to NPCs at the instance entrance (there are several like that in Moria), but it would also allow people do do something they've been doing since the game started: Summon companions to the entrance of an instance they've not 'found'.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement. The mechanic is already there, after all, as it used to be the way things worked before the Instance Finder was introduced.
    === All spellng mistakes in the above are intentional, and are provided for your amusement. ===

Quote Originally Posted by PointyEaredBowTwanger View Post
    The introduction of the instance finder/panel was a lot of use in many ways. It means that the group doesn't have to be together to start an instance (cutting down on a lot of prep time), and people only need to have found the entrance to be able to join.

But it has one very big problem - you can't now exit an instance through its actual door to the correct location. I'll try to explain, using the Rift as an example.

Previously, people would all have to gather, usually at Iorlen's camp, and run down to the entrance. Now, they can be all over the world, and just click 'travel now' when the window comes up, which is awesome.
    Successful raid run, all bosses and Balrog dead (woohoo!), now to exit. Used to be that you had to run back out and go the way you came in (or get your hunter to port you). Long run, but everything's dead so it's okay.
    Now, you right click your portrait and 'leave instance'. And it plops you back where you were before you went in. Which is great, if you want to go questing or crafting in a different area. Not so good if you actually want to hand in your tokens/items/quests.

Would it not be possible to have two results for leaving instances? If you use the 'right-click, leave instance' method, you end up where you came from. If, however, you use the actual 'magic door' built-in entrance/exit to an instance, you end up actually outside it. This would be useful for people who have quests they've picked up at some point and now want to hand in to NPCs at the instance entrance (there are several like that in Moria), but it would also allow people do do something they've been doing since the game started: Summon companions to the entrance of an instance they've not 'found'.

I don't think this would be too hard to implement. The mechanic is already there, after all, as it used to be the way things worked before the Instance Finder was introduced.

I'm going to say yes to this simply because I like your name.

/signed
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

My personal opinion as always.

There is really no good reason for this functionality. A character can always travel to the entrance of an older instance. Use Instance Finder to get in the instance. when the character leaves the instance they are back outside. This character can bring other characters to the entrance.

Another interesting aspect is that a character can try go in the entrance. In which case, Instance Finder starts and the character can pick any applicable instance. There is no getting around Instance Finder. The character will return to being back outside of the entrance when they exit the instance.

For newer instances, it can never work. These instances do not have entrances,

What people will do with your suggested functionality is to use Instance Finder as a form of swift travel. I need to get to the Barrow Downs. I will start Great Barrows:The Maze. Immediately exit. No riding or walking required. That is what players of Swtor do. They use the travel to an instance functionality as a extremely fast way to get a spot on the landscape. It would prefer that this Swtor functionality to not be ported to Lotro.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Yula is correct that players would exploit this as swift travel. The only way I see to work around that would be to tie the optional exit to completion of the instance. If that could be done then I suppose I would support this but otherwise no. Just my 2 coppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Unfortunately, I suspect that Yula is correct that players would exploit this as swift travel. The only way I see to work around that would be to tie the optional exit to completion of the instance. If that could be done then I suppose I would support this but otherwise no. Just my 2 coppers.
    Yep, I feel the same.

Personally I don't see any reason why this can't be implemented?
    Yes it would be used as a swift travel but it isn't an exploit if its allowed.

Also, get rid of the nonsense discovery part also.

The whole instance panel is immersion breaking anyway. For anyone that says this shouldn't happen should also say that instance panel convenience should be gone and we should all have to travel physically to every instance.

Life is too short.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    Personally I don't see any reason why this can't be implemented?
    Yes it would be used as a swift travel but it isn't an exploit if its allowed.

Also, get rid of the nonsense discovery part also.

The whole instance panel is immersion breaking anyway. For anyone that says this shouldn't happen should also say that instance panel convenience should be gone and we should all have to travel physically to every instance.

Life is too short.
    Swift Travel is a VIP perk, so allowing everyone to get around it would upset VIPs (who give SSG money).

iirc, they took the vendor out of OD because people were using it as a quick sell off point by opening the instance, running in, selling and then out, and that was causing performance issues. So while I like the idea, it's not a good idea.

As I always say:
    To every solution there is a problem.

I have noted that many games have an exit right behind the final boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteyes View Post
    iirc, they took the vendor out of OD because people were using it as a quick sell off point by opening the instance, running in, selling and then out, and that was causing performance issues. So while I like the idea, it's not a good idea.
    Well I'm guessing the issue there can only be performance related because why not be able to do that. Quite clever thinking out of the box. Wished I'd realised before they stopped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbro View Post
    Swift Travel is a VIP perk, so allowing everyone to get around it would upset VIPs (who give SSG money).
    Well it seems you would be upset but I wouldn't. So, currently one for one.
    Your post sounds more finical the more I read it.... VIP is garbage now. I would be pissed if I paid monthly - let me tell you. Ive been VIP since 2009 (lifer) and I don't own a damn thing except all the expansions. So, I'm VIP but if I could/did drop, I would have to buy all quest packs to play this game to the same level. Facts are they don't want folks to be VIP... they want you to drip buy into their store and with all the "micro" transactions they make far more than they do from VIP's....

So, get off your vip high horse and "smell the roses" (sorry couldn't resist) - slow down and think. Let folks have the choice to enter a dungeon and leave by the real entrance if they want. Lifes far too short for petty bureaucratic piffle.
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

Quote Originally Posted by Milii View Post
    I have noted that many games have an exit right behind the final boss.
    They do, and there are in LOTRO too. But even using that exit, if you went in from the Finder, it takes you back to where you were when you entered, rather than to the actual exit point.
    === All spellng mistakes in the above are intentional, and are provided for your amusement. ===

Quote Originally Posted by PointyEaredBowTwanger View Post
    They do, and there are in LOTRO too. But even using that exit, if you went in from the Finder, it takes you back to where you were when you entered, rather than to the actual exit point.
    That makes no sense since you can do that with a rt-click. A door behind the final boss should put you in front of the quest people. Only a Burg would even think of using such a thing as a free travel.

Yula's comment is quite valid. A few years ago I was in a group which tried to get everyone together by going into an instance then exiting. Needless to say, it didn't work. So, instance as quick travel would be used if it were available.

That makes no sense since you can do that with a rt-click. A door behind the final boss should put you in front of the quest people. Only a Burg would even think of using such a thing as a free travel.
    Yeah that's the point I'm making. If you exit an instance from the actual exit (the one behind the boss), it should bring you out where the instance is located. Leave the right-click-leave-instance thing the same as it is, so it takes you back out to where you were before you used Instance Finder.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortElf View Post
    Yula's comment is quite valid. A few years ago I was in a group which tried to get everyone together by going into an instance then exiting. Needless to say, it didn't work. So, instance as quick travel would be used if it were available.
    It wouldn't be swift travel if it's the exit after the main boss, you'd have to run the instance first. The OP wants to use the "exit" of an instance, not the entrance. I see no problem with this.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    I'm going to say yes to this simply because I like your name.

/signed
    I like his name too. I won't weigh in on the instance question because I don't do them unless I absolutely have to (e.g., doing the Rift once for Volume III).
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    It wouldn't be swift travel if it's the exit after the main boss, you'd have to run the instance first. The OP wants to use the "exit" of an instance, not the entrance. I see no problem with this.
    The OP did specify leaving by the front door (bolded below):

The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Yeah, why would you travel there otherwise? I'd do it to get the quest givers or turn in quests. It is a royal pain to finish an instance and have to travel back to... say... Tarmen Sursa(sp) to look for turn ins. There is a milestone, mustering horn, and campsite fire outside of this place. But to use them you have to have someone there or someone with the campsite or get the milestone, which means you, or someone else in your group, has to go there first, defeating the mechanics of the instance finder.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    The OP did specify leaving by the front door (bolded below):
    Yes, but in a raid where there is no exit door, and after killing everything inside it. Hardly swift travel. If they added a function where exiting an instance via an actual exit put you outside the instance in the physical word, nothing would change with regard to the Rift, as it has no exit. Leaving by an entrance would simply put you back where you were, unless of course they could make it change that destination after raid completion.
    Last edited by Arnenna; May 18 2018 at 02:57 AM.
    Treat others as you do your best pictures, and place them in their best light.